8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
monkeyboy
July 20, 2018, 1:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Accy had a 1.1m mil budget? what was ours?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 74
Gaffer58
July 20, 2018, 2:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Just like to say I hope we never get like sport in America where teams are franchised and can/do up sticks and move to another city at whim, but still keep their league position. Just suppose a multi billionaire likes Torquay, builds a new ground and moves Man U there, wth no objection from the FA/ EFL/ Premier League. If someone wants to pump money into a club I say let it hem so long as there is a way of making them cover future costs if they get fed up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 74
Manchester Mariner
July 20, 2018, 2:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
They'll probably be in the Championship within 5 years or so albeit playing to minimal crowds, but I suppose you can do that when you have financial backers who don't mind losing a couple of million a year.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 74
diehardmariner
July 20, 2018, 2:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,601
Gold Stars: 538
Not really bothered about the pumping of money into clubs, if nothing else it gives a pantomime villain feel to it, Crawley and FGR were both ridiculed in the Conference for it.  Eastleigh too until their chairman bought Town fans a pint!

I don't buy into the history and established club argument either.  No side should be guaranteed a place over enough based on their history.  Neville is right in his nod towards that, although I don't really see the Franchise link but there you go.

What I do object to is Gary Neville and the rest of his mob.  Never had an issue with him as a player, was always pleased he was in the England side, quite enjoyed his early days as a pundit on Sky until he disappeared up his own backside.  But on that documentary he came across like an absolute bell.  

That man has no idea what football is like beyond the bubble of the Premier League.  His suggestion of the players all celebrating a goal like a Lion just because that was the new club emblem about sums the man up.

As for Adam Rooney - I'd want a far better player for that money than him.  His record in England is pretty average.  I don't blame the lad one bit for taking the money though, good luck to him.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 74
rancido
July 20, 2018, 3:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from marinerdazza

I'm not going to go there.  

As for the rest of it, I'm not being naive and I do appreciate the realities of the market. It's just that sometimes, something occurs in football that to me is just so blatantly cynical, that I have to get off the fence.

As for wishing we had millions. Well obviously I wish our financial position was better than it is. But I doubt that Moneybags FC winning the champions league in front of 120,000 would feel anywhere near as special as Arnold's third goal did to the 13,000 who were there that day.

The formation of the Premiersh*t was the most cynical move in the English game. Almost unbelievable wealth for the " chosen few " and scraps fed to the rest of the football pyramid. I don't know exactly how much teams get in the Premiersh*t from tv rights but it must be about £80 million per club/per season. Just imagine if that was reduced to £60 million per club and the remaining £20 million was given to the FA to develop grass roots football. That would amount to £400 million a year to help develop football. That is an incredible amount of money  and the Premiersh*t clubs would still get £60 million each per season.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 74
malkamalka
July 20, 2018, 3:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson admits he was "blown away" by Salford when competing for the same player this summer.

Salford showed their financial mettle this week when they signed Aberdeen striker Adam Rooney.

"I actually competed with Salford for two players," he said. "I got one of them, Liam Donnelly, and completely lost out on the other one, who they blew us away with money. That's a club that's going places but that's what you are competing with.

"Obviously they have a lot of backing and a good manager, so they are an attractive prospect for players now.

"It's a hard one, you see Adam Rooney who has done very well here and scored a lot of goals, dropping down to a Conference side. It's tough, it's getting tougher."

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 74
GrimRob
July 20, 2018, 3:34pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
We have a millionaire chairmen who is always being strongly encouraged to spend more. But if anyone else does it they are somehow bending the rules.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 74
Cloudy
July 20, 2018, 3:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from GrimRob
We have a millionaire chairmen who is always being strongly encouraged to spend more. But if anyone else does it they are somehow bending the rules.

Not from me!

Always believe football clubs should be sustainable. Money from crowds, commercial income and community involvement over a rich persons plaything every single second of every day of every week!
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 74
jamesgtfc
July 20, 2018, 4:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GrimRob
We have a millionaire chairmen major shareholder who is always being strongly encouraged to spend more. But if anyone else does it they are somehow bending the rules.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 74
MuddyWaters
July 20, 2018, 4:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from GrimRob

Is he? I thought most - including him - wanted him to reduce his loans.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Salford City

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.