8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
marinerdazza
July 20, 2018, 11:23am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
Pretty soon, all the main European teams will be backed by Middle Eastern or Russian money. Football should at least pretend or aspire to be something approaching a level playing field.

I don't like what this has done to the game. I could live to be 300 and I'll never agree with it.

I'm not against investment. But pumping billions into a team turns them into nothing more than a brand themselves and an advert for the owners.

Turning back to Salford City, don't forget Gary Neville is a property developer. At its heart, this project has very little to do with football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 74
ginnywings
July 20, 2018, 11:36am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Don't necessarily disagree dazza, and i think there should be some checks and balances in the league structure to make it a more fair competition, but alas, we live in a consumer society, where money is king. Neville, as you say, is a property developer, so i'm sure he has other motives aside from football, but he is free to spend his money where and how he wishes, as are the others involved in it. Until and unless those that run football introduce measures to make the system fairer, there will be many more Phoenix clubs rising through the leagues.

You could argue that we are bankrolled by a local millionaire, just not to the same extent as Salford. If all clubs had to rely on gate money and commercially generated income, the better supported clubs would naturally rise to the top, so is there a fair system for everyone anyway?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 74
Abdul19
July 20, 2018, 11:37am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Has football ever been a 'level playing field' in this country? (Arsenal were known as the Bank of England club in the 1920s for example)

Unless a club is being run into the ground (Portsmouth), I don't really mind owners pumping in a fortune (Man City).

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 74
ginnywings
July 20, 2018, 11:39am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Abdul19
Has football ever been a level playing field in this country? (Arsenal were known as the Bank of England club in the 1920s for example)

Of course not. Even in the days of fixed wages, the better players were enticed to clubs with houses, jobs and backhanders.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 74
Bawmariner
July 20, 2018, 11:40am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +323
Gold Stars: 1
I think pumping money into a club like Salford or Fleetwood is completely different to a club like Grimsby or Man City. Grimsby have had a lot of history of sustaining Championship football and there is no reason why they couldn't again. City have had history at the top of English football and were in the premier league anyway when they were taken over. Inflating there average league position by 10 places hardly makes a difference.

Were teams like Salford, Fleetwood and Fylde differ is that the manager is taking clubs with no history, in areas that already have league football teams. This increases the competition for players and fans in the local area. While loyal fans aren't going to switch trams it will spread people who like to watch football and young fans among more clubs potentially harming your established clubs such as Bury, Oldham, Rochdale etc. I honestly don't see why Greater Manchester needs another league club and I don't see what Salford will add to the local footballing scene.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 74
ska face
July 20, 2018, 11:42am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,568
Gold Stars: 839
It’s mad how the focus on Salford is always around the class of 92 millionaire property developers, and never the Singapore-based billionaire who actually owns 50% of the club individually.

Still, jumpers for goalposts and all that...
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 74
marinerdazza
July 20, 2018, 11:43am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

You could argue that we are bankrolled by a local millionaire

I'm not going to go there.  

As for the rest of it, I'm not being naive and I do appreciate the realities of the market. It's just that sometimes, something occurs in football that to me is just so blatantly cynical, that I have to get off the fence.

As for wishing we had millions. Well obviously I wish our financial position was better than it is. But I doubt that Moneybags FC winning the champions league in front of 120,000 would feel anywhere near as special as Arnold's third goal did to the 13,000 who were there that day.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 74
marinerdazza
July 20, 2018, 11:45am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ska face
It’s mad how the focus on Salford is always around the class of 92 millionaire property developers, and never the Singapore-based billionaire who actually owns 50% of the club individually.

Still, jumpers for goalposts and all that...

Not really. They're the ones in the public eye and also the ones who secure all their (free?) publicity from the national broadcaster.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 74
marinerdazza
July 20, 2018, 12:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
“Arnold’s third goal”?

awful writing. You know what I meant.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 74
MuddyWaters
July 20, 2018, 12:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from marinerdazza

Not really. They're the ones in the public eye and also the ones who secure all their (free?) publicity from the national broadcaster.

Maybe but Lim puts in 5 times what any of the others do as individuals. What peeves me is Gary Neville telling a bunch of MPs that the FA shouldn't sell Wembley in order to help fund grassroots football when he clearly hasn't got a clue what happens in grassroots football, because in normal land there are not too many Singapore businessmen and multi-millionaire ex-footballers kicking around.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Salford City

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.