This thread currently has 10,619 views. Print
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
July 20, 2018, 10:08am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Seem to be the latest moneybags team in The National League throwing money around like water.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44877537

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
July 20, 2018, 10:11am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
hate them, and sick of the media giving them the spotlight
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 74
marinerdazza
July 20, 2018, 10:12am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
Just as bad as their immediate neighbours. Feel for any other team trying to get out of the National League this season as they're essentially playing for one promotion spot now.

The bad feeling will increase. To my mind they're as soulless as MK Dons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 74
ginnywings
July 20, 2018, 10:34am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Was just reading this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44894821

Seems it's not only fans who are peeved by this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 74
lew chaterleys lover
July 20, 2018, 10:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,549
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Hagrid
hate them, and sick of the media giving them the spotlight

So in the unlikely event a group of former Town players buy us out, invest heavily in the team and take us to the Premier League you would hate us too? Or is it because it is former Man. Utd players you don't like it?
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 74
GtfcGarner
July 20, 2018, 10:55am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +31 / -13
Approval: +1,788
Gold Stars: 26
It’s all fun and games till they become bored and Salford will fall faster than water. £4,000 a week at that level is ridiculous. I think even when Brodie went for £250,000 he was on £1.5-£2k a week. Imagine Rooney would of commanded a big transfer fee as he was playing quite regularly for Aberdeen. Their wage bills must be absolutely huge I wonder where it would rank amongst lower league one budgets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 74
Ipswin
July 20, 2018, 11:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

So in the unlikely event a group of former Town players buy us out, invest heavily in the team and take us to the Premier League you would hate us too? Or is it because it is former Man. Utd players you don't like it?

Exactly. I am thoroughly drunk off with the constant messages knocking all clubs in general and Salford in particular that are throwing cash about and signing expensive players. Also fed up with all those criticising the Premier League

It is nothing more than pure jealousy, if it happened at Town everyone would (or certainly should) be delighted after all we are swift to complain if the manager doesn't get a decent transfer budget

Good luck to them, they have ambition (sadly lacking at many clubs especially our own) to build a club that is going places, of course they happen to have the cash which makes a big difference and we don't.

Envy is a terrible thing.

Frankly I hope they urine the conference, look forward to testing ourselves against them (hopefully in Div 4!)

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 74
ginnywings
July 20, 2018, 11:06am

Recovering Alcoholic

Was thinking the same myself. Money has always talked in football, it's just that now, it isn't secret brown envelopes being handed to players behind closed doors.

Is this any different to Arab oil Sheikh's pumping billions into Man City, a team that was going nowhere for years? It may well rankle with some, but it has always happened in one form or another, and will continue to happen. Like it or not, there is a massive amount of money now in football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 74
marinerdazza
July 20, 2018, 11:11am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Is this any different to Arab oil Sheikh's pumping billions into Man City, a team that was going nowhere for years? It may well rankle with some, but it has always happened in one form or another, and will continue to happen. Like it or not, there is a massive amount of money now in football.

No it's not. And for the record I also think that stinks too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 74
Ipswin
July 20, 2018, 11:16am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from marinerdazza

No it's not. And for the record I also think that stinks too.

Why?

Why do we seem to take such pleasure in being on our arses cashwise and dislike any other clubs who aren't

Does being the poor run down old club make us better than everyone else, why are we so proud of it?

Private Message
Reply: 9 - 74
marinerdazza
July 20, 2018, 11:23am
Cocktail Drinker
Pretty soon, all the main European teams will be backed by Middle Eastern or Russian money. Football should at least pretend or aspire to be something approaching a level playing field.

I don't like what this has done to the game. I could live to be 300 and I'll never agree with it.

I'm not against investment. But pumping billions into a team turns them into nothing more than a brand themselves and an advert for the owners.

Turning back to Salford City, don't forget Gary Neville is a property developer. At its heart, this project has very little to do with football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 74
ginnywings
July 20, 2018, 11:36am

Recovering Alcoholic
Don't necessarily disagree dazza, and i think there should be some checks and balances in the league structure to make it a more fair competition, but alas, we live in a consumer society, where money is king. Neville, as you say, is a property developer, so i'm sure he has other motives aside from football, but he is free to spend his money where and how he wishes, as are the others involved in it. Until and unless those that run football introduce measures to make the system fairer, there will be many more Phoenix clubs rising through the leagues.

You could argue that we are bankrolled by a local millionaire, just not to the same extent as Salford. If all clubs had to rely on gate money and commercially generated income, the better supported clubs would naturally rise to the top, so is there a fair system for everyone anyway?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 74
Abdul19
July 20, 2018, 11:37am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Has football ever been a 'level playing field' in this country? (Arsenal were known as the Bank of England club in the 1920s for example)

Unless a club is being run into the ground (Portsmouth), I don't really mind owners pumping in a fortune (Man City).

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 74
ginnywings
July 20, 2018, 11:39am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Abdul19
Has football ever been a level playing field in this country? (Arsenal were known as the Bank of England club in the 1920s for example)

Of course not. Even in the days of fixed wages, the better players were enticed to clubs with houses, jobs and backhanders.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 74
Bawmariner
July 20, 2018, 11:40am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +313
Gold Stars: 1
I think pumping money into a club like Salford or Fleetwood is completely different to a club like Grimsby or Man City. Grimsby have had a lot of history of sustaining Championship football and there is no reason why they couldn't again. City have had history at the top of English football and were in the premier league anyway when they were taken over. Inflating there average league position by 10 places hardly makes a difference.

Were teams like Salford, Fleetwood and Fylde differ is that the manager is taking clubs with no history, in areas that already have league football teams. This increases the competition for players and fans in the local area. While loyal fans aren't going to switch trams it will spread people who like to watch football and young fans among more clubs potentially harming your established clubs such as Bury, Oldham, Rochdale etc. I honestly don't see why Greater Manchester needs another league club and I don't see what Salford will add to the local footballing scene.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 74
ska face
July 20, 2018, 11:42am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,369
Gold Stars: 824
It’s mad how the focus on Salford is always around the class of 92 millionaire property developers, and never the Singapore-based billionaire who actually owns 50% of the club individually.

Still, jumpers for goalposts and all that...
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 74
marinerdazza
July 20, 2018, 11:43am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

You could argue that we are bankrolled by a local millionaire

I'm not going to go there.  

As for the rest of it, I'm not being naive and I do appreciate the realities of the market. It's just that sometimes, something occurs in football that to me is just so blatantly cynical, that I have to get off the fence.

As for wishing we had millions. Well obviously I wish our financial position was better than it is. But I doubt that Moneybags FC winning the champions league in front of 120,000 would feel anywhere near as special as Arnold's third goal did to the 13,000 who were there that day.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 74
marinerdazza
July 20, 2018, 11:45am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ska face
It’s mad how the focus on Salford is always around the class of 92 millionaire property developers, and never the Singapore-based billionaire who actually owns 50% of the club individually.

Still, jumpers for goalposts and all that...

Not really. They're the ones in the public eye and also the ones who secure all their (free?) publicity from the national broadcaster.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 74
marinerdazza
July 20, 2018, 12:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
“Arnold’s third goal”?

awful writing. You know what I meant.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 74
MuddyWaters
July 20, 2018, 12:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from marinerdazza

Not really. They're the ones in the public eye and also the ones who secure all their (free?) publicity from the national broadcaster.

Maybe but Lim puts in 5 times what any of the others do as individuals. What peeves me is Gary Neville telling a bunch of MPs that the FA shouldn't sell Wembley in order to help fund grassroots football when he clearly hasn't got a clue what happens in grassroots football, because in normal land there are not too many Singapore businessmen and multi-millionaire ex-footballers kicking around.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 74
monkeyboy
July 20, 2018, 1:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
Accy had a 1.1m mil budget? what was ours?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 74
Gaffer58
July 20, 2018, 2:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,035
Gold Stars: 31
Just like to say I hope we never get like sport in America where teams are franchised and can/do up sticks and move to another city at whim, but still keep their league position. Just suppose a multi billionaire likes Torquay, builds a new ground and moves Man U there, wth no objection from the FA/ EFL/ Premier League. If someone wants to pump money into a club I say let it hem so long as there is a way of making them cover future costs if they get fed up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 74
Manchester Mariner
July 20, 2018, 2:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,804
Gold Stars: 41
They'll probably be in the Championship within 5 years or so albeit playing to minimal crowds, but I suppose you can do that when you have financial backers who don't mind losing a couple of million a year.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 74
diehardmariner
July 20, 2018, 2:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,095
Gold Stars: 520
Not really bothered about the pumping of money into clubs, if nothing else it gives a pantomime villain feel to it, Crawley and FGR were both ridiculed in the Conference for it.  Eastleigh too until their chairman bought Town fans a pint!

I don't buy into the history and established club argument either.  No side should be guaranteed a place over enough based on their history.  Neville is right in his nod towards that, although I don't really see the Franchise link but there you go.

What I do object to is Gary Neville and the rest of his mob.  Never had an issue with him as a player, was always pleased he was in the England side, quite enjoyed his early days as a pundit on Sky until he disappeared up his own backside.  But on that documentary he came across like an absolute bell.  

That man has no idea what football is like beyond the bubble of the Premier League.  His suggestion of the players all celebrating a goal like a Lion just because that was the new club emblem about sums the man up.

As for Adam Rooney - I'd want a far better player for that money than him.  His record in England is pretty average.  I don't blame the lad one bit for taking the money though, good luck to him.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 74
rancido
July 20, 2018, 3:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,449
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from marinerdazza

I'm not going to go there.  

As for the rest of it, I'm not being naive and I do appreciate the realities of the market. It's just that sometimes, something occurs in football that to me is just so blatantly cynical, that I have to get off the fence.

As for wishing we had millions. Well obviously I wish our financial position was better than it is. But I doubt that Moneybags FC winning the champions league in front of 120,000 would feel anywhere near as special as Arnold's third goal did to the 13,000 who were there that day.

The formation of the Premiersh*t was the most cynical move in the English game. Almost unbelievable wealth for the " chosen few " and scraps fed to the rest of the football pyramid. I don't know exactly how much teams get in the Premiersh*t from tv rights but it must be about £80 million per club/per season. Just imagine if that was reduced to £60 million per club and the remaining £20 million was given to the FA to develop grass roots football. That would amount to £400 million a year to help develop football. That is an incredible amount of money  and the Premiersh*t clubs would still get £60 million each per season.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 74
malkamalka
July 20, 2018, 3:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson admits he was "blown away" by Salford when competing for the same player this summer.

Salford showed their financial mettle this week when they signed Aberdeen striker Adam Rooney.

"I actually competed with Salford for two players," he said. "I got one of them, Liam Donnelly, and completely lost out on the other one, who they blew us away with money. That's a club that's going places but that's what you are competing with.

"Obviously they have a lot of backing and a good manager, so they are an attractive prospect for players now.

"It's a hard one, you see Adam Rooney who has done very well here and scored a lot of goals, dropping down to a Conference side. It's tough, it's getting tougher."

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 74
GrimRob
July 20, 2018, 3:34pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
We have a millionaire chairmen who is always being strongly encouraged to spend more. But if anyone else does it they are somehow bending the rules.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 74
Cloudy
July 20, 2018, 3:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from GrimRob
We have a millionaire chairmen who is always being strongly encouraged to spend more. But if anyone else does it they are somehow bending the rules.

Not from me!

Always believe football clubs should be sustainable. Money from crowds, commercial income and community involvement over a rich persons plaything every single second of every day of every week!
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 74
jamesgtfc
July 20, 2018, 4:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from GrimRob
We have a millionaire chairmen major shareholder who is always being strongly encouraged to spend more. But if anyone else does it they are somehow bending the rules.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 74
MuddyWaters
July 20, 2018, 4:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

Is he? I thought most - including him - wanted him to reduce his loans.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 74
Ipswin
July 20, 2018, 5:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Is he? I thought most - including him - wanted him to reduce his loans.

That's the ridiculous thing about all the anti-Fenty whingers

They want him out and for him not to have any loans (benign or otherwise) but they female dog about Jolley having a good transfer budget

Sadly we can't have it both ways, we need his money or there just isn't enough. Working within your means is one thing but if 'your means' means signing absolute duffers because they're free then we can't moan if we finish 18th (or worse)

Private Message
Reply: 30 - 74
KingstonMariner
July 20, 2018, 5:08pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

The formation of the Premiersh*t was the most cynical move in the English game. Almost unbelievable wealth for the " chosen few " and scraps fed to the rest of the football pyramid. I don't know exactly how much teams get in the Premiersh*t from tv rights but it must be about £80 million per club/per season. Just imagine if that was reduced to £60 million per club and the remaining £20 million was given to the FA to develop grass roots football. That would amount to £400 million a year to help develop football. That is an incredible amount of money  and the Premiersh*t clubs would still get £60 million each per season.

Exactly. There'd be no need to sell Wembley, which I understand Mr Neville is against.

Mind you, the Premier League is a Frankenstein monster that the FA helped bring to life (probably taking an opportunity to get one over the Football League).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 74
RichMariner
July 20, 2018, 5:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Historically, the only money a club had to spend was what it got on the turnstile.

More fans equalled more money. Hence the scrap to get more fans through the turnstiles, and more money to spend on better players, managers, etc.

Then TV changed everything. Most clubs' income at the top end is now through TV and sponsorship, and the fans' money is much less significant.

We're now at a point where you could play all Premier League games behind closed doors and nearly all 20 clubs would barely feel a hit financially.

I'm not saying this is right, but if (when) GTFC wins something, I like to think that our money contributed to it; that we, as fans, played our part in funding it, i.e. Operation Promotion. It brings the fans and town together.

Promotion without OP would still have been great, but it's that extra special knowing (or thinking) that the £110k paid for Omar (even if Fenty has since suggested it was absorbed to pay debts).

It means less, in my opinion, when Salford win a division and you know Neville et al pretty much bought it. The genuine long-standing Salford fans will get little joy from it because their money wasn't really needed. And they don't feel needed in turn.

I don't wish Grimsby to be owned and run by a millionaire that splashes the cash because it's unsustainable (just look at what happened to Rushden & Diamonds when that millionaire gets bored).

Give me a team like Accrington that enjoys a genuine relationship with its fans and the wider community. It may sound airy-fairy and me taking some kind of moral high ground, but that's how I feel.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 32 - 74
Bigdog
July 20, 2018, 8:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
It makes me really sad to read some of these posts and I mean it in a genuine way. We've fallen so far as a club that a huge chunk of our fan base cling to romantic notions of history, genuine relationships with fans and community etc etc. We've got to start living in the real world not cling onto glories past. History is not going to get us three points on a Saturday, history is not going to attract players to us and history is becoming less powerful in attracting new young fans to the GTFC family. Football has changed and GTFC has got to change with it or die. Anyway, isn't length of history all relative when looking from far into the future? Would anyone say in 2218 that Salford City would have any less right to be in the Football League than Grimsby Town? What's the other option? Going back to the dark old days of re-election when clubs voted to decide who stayed in the Football League?

Our club does need to build strong community ties, it does need to build a genuine relationship with its fans (and seriously, after last season, I can't think of too many clubs worse than us.) The bit that's missing is the big helping hand up to a level where our full potential and sustainability can be reached. Community ties on their own will not get us and keep us there. If we don't get that helping hand, the Billericays, the Salfords etc will eventually take our place in the Football League and take it forever. We will not exist long term on romantic notions of history or honourable claims of being a proper club.

And this fluffed up notion that somehow Arnold's goal at Wembley meant more to us than it did Man City fans celebrating Aguero's last gasp goal to win the Premiership is just sentimental self-centred rubbish. Anyone make the calculation of average joy per fan per club?

Any football club in this country has the right to find their own funding, and operate in the way they see fit to work their way up the ladder. Whether FFP works or not is another debate. The loyalty payments from the Premier League clubs are also a national disgrace. We can moan about the business of football, but it's definitely happening. We need to get with the programme start looking to the future and forget the past.

In 2018, sadly, clinging onto a club's history is for eventual losers..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 74
KingstonMariner
July 20, 2018, 8:14pm
Meths Drinker
I agree with a lot of what you write Bigdog, but if the only way is to find some big investor then to me football's pointless as a sport you can feel involved in (unless you're playing or officiating). You end up being nothing more than a consumer and unpaid extra (actually, I wouldn't be surprised if at some point people do get paid to attend games to create 'atmosphere').

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 74
Bigdog
July 20, 2018, 8:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I agree with a lot of what you write Bigdog, but if the only way is to find some big investor then to me football's pointless as a sport you can feel involved in. You end up being nothing more than a consumer and unpaid extra (actually, I wouldn't be surprised if at some point people do get paid to attend games to create 'atmosphere').

Unfortunately, in this day and age, we're nearing the point of live by the sword or die by the sword Kingston. It's not like GTFC fans have never felt like they've been taken for granted at times anyway. I don't think we're that much different to most clubs, large or small in that respect..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 74
marinerdazza
July 20, 2018, 8:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

And this fluffed up notion that somehow Arnold's goal at Wembley meant more to us than it did Man City fans celebrating Aguero's last gasp goal to win the Premiership is just sentimental self-centred rubbish. Anyone make the calculation of average joy per fan per club?

Guessing this is directed at me. I’ll say two things; first I didn’t mention Man City, you did. Second, of course it’s self centred l’m a Town fan for crying out loud.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 74
KingstonMariner
July 20, 2018, 10:53pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Unfortunately, in this day and age, we're nearing the point of live by the sword or die by the sword Kingston. It's not like GTFC fans have never felt like they've been taken for granted at times anyway. I don't think we're that much different to most clubs, large or small in that respect..

I disagree. It's not time yet. The bubble will burst sooner or later. If it doesn't burst and what you say comes to pass well it's time to say goodbye.

At the moment GTFC still means something to me. If it comes down to how successful they are, you'd make another choice. Why support Town if what you want is success? Or entertainment? On those terms its a waste of flipping money.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 74
Bigdog
July 21, 2018, 2:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from marinerdazza

Guessing this is directed at me. I’ll say two things; first I didn’t mention Man City, you did. Second, of course it’s self centred l’m a Town fan for crying out loud.

You underline my whole point. Town fans have been downtrodden for so long and are so introspective that they don’t realise that the whole football world is passing them by and waving to them in the rear view mirror..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 74
MuddyWaters
July 21, 2018, 6:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

You underline my whole point. Town fans have been downtrodden for so long and are so introspective that they don’t realise that the whole football world is passing them by and waving to them in the rear view mirror..

I think that's a real sweeping generalisation. I know a lot of Town fans who realised a long time ago that the club's ownership structure means that there's Sweet FA they can do about it and we, like the board, are waiting for the big ship 'Football Fortune' to make its' way to the port of Grimsby.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 74
lukeo
July 21, 2018, 6:42am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,305
Gold Stars: 134
I'd just put my bet on for the season aswell and put Wrexham to win the national league   I still would go Wrexham but i bet Salford have dropped in and Wrexham's price has gone out.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 74
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 21, 2018, 7:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,761
Gold Stars: 177
Was chatting to a Man Utd 'fan' over a few beers last night and he piped up with:

, ' but why do you actually support shitty Grimsby when you only get to see them a few times a year!'

Gobsmacked was an understatement.

'We may be excrement, but those few hours, spent with mates, watching our team play is something you can't get through watching it on tv!'

This Man Utd 'fan' last went to a game in 2003 and says it's cheaper to watch it on tv! Says it all really about how the millions (billions) pumped into the game at the top level alienates the true meaning of what football can give someone

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 74
Cloudy
July 21, 2018, 7:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think that's a real sweeping generalisation.

Pot/kettle?
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 74
topuphere666
July 21, 2018, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Nathan Pond has gone there too. Absolute rock of a CB when we had him! He would walk into any league 2 starting 11.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 74
Mrs Doyle
July 21, 2018, 11:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
At least the Man Utd consortium are putting some of their wealth back into football in this country most would invest in properties abroad. exotic Holidays luxury cars urine it away etc, etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 74
TheCodfather1966
July 21, 2018, 2:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
Good on them I say.  Why the hell can't the ex Man Utd players back a new venture in the City they all love.  I think what they are doing at Salford City is good for football.  I would far rather these ex players are backing a new small venture, rather than sticking their money into an already successful club.  Good luck to Salford City, and at 7/1 a cracking bet to win the Vanarama this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 74
HertsGTFC
July 21, 2018, 6:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,650
Gold Stars: 217
It’s simple, teams generally achieve success by having better players, better players cost more, it’s been that way for decades it’s just more visible and there’s more cash floating around in the multi media age we live in.

All that said there needs to be some rules in place that provide these clubs some sustainable future away from people pumping money in, sooner or later these backers lose interest.

I’d not be too bothered but that tw@t Gary Neville really grinds my gears.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 74
promotion plaice
July 21, 2018, 7:02pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,956
Gold Stars: 189

In the TV series I had to laugh when Sky pundit Neville found out his club Salford City had a Sky dodgy box.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 74
rancido
July 22, 2018, 10:53am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
It’s simple, teams generally achieve success by having better players, better players cost more, it’s been that way for decades it’s just more visible and there’s more cash floating around in the multi media age we live in.

All that said there needs to be some rules in place that provide these clubs some sustainable future away from people pumping money in, sooner or later these backers lose interest.

I’d not be too bothered but that tw@t Gary Neville really grinds my gears.

Does this mean you are totally against anyone donating money to a club to further it's advancement or make it financially secure. At a more local level then, the " benign loan " by JF to GTFC is better than him donating the club that money? Instead of  " pumping money into the club " he is lending the club money until it is in a position to repay it.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 74
HertsGTFC
July 22, 2018, 11:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,650
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from rancido

Does this mean you are totally against anyone donating money to a club to further it's advancement or make it financially secure. At a more local level then, the " benign loan " by JF to GTFC is better than him donating the club that money? Instead of  " pumping money into the club " he is lending the club money until it is in a position to repay it.

No I said .........

" All that said there needs to be some rules in place that provide these clubs some sustainable future away from people pumping money in, sooner or later these backers lose interest".

If someone spends loads of money on a club by subsiding it's cost base (salaries etc.. ) and then they walk away that hardly leaves a club financially secure. I have no problem with people putting money into what they want but you need to have a balance between spending on players fees and wages and building infrastructure so if the benefactor disappears the club could still meet it's costs and stand on it's own two feet.

Would I rather GTFC where given money rather than loaned it? Absolutely, but which ever way the club secures income I'd prefer it to be spent wisely and not on players earning £4K a week in a tin pot league.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 74
VinnyGTFC
July 22, 2018, 11:48am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
It's good to see proper football people advancing a club in this way. Makes a change from the likes of the Allams who haven't a clue about the game. Refreshing and anyone who thinks not maybe need to check if it isn't a bit of jealousy
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 74
TAGG
July 22, 2018, 12:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,982
Gold Stars: 121
Don’t think there would be this amount of hand ringing jealous crying if it was Town.
Pathetic 🤡

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 74
codcheeky
July 22, 2018, 2:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
They have chosen to invest their money in a local football team, hats off to them for taking every advantage and opportunity they can, too many have their head in the sand if they think it was ever a level laying field. Some clubs  have gone into administration multiple times to get an advantage, there are very few morals in football and there never where
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 74
codcheeky
July 22, 2018, 2:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Quoted from codcheeky
They have chosen to invest their money in a local football team, hats off to them for taking every advantage and opportunity they can, too many have their head in the sand if they think it was ever a level playing field. Some clubs  have gone into administration multiple times to get an advantage, there are very few morals in football and there never where

Private Message
Reply: 53 - 74
Bigdog
July 22, 2018, 2:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Twenty years ago, if anyone thought that twenty years on we couldn't compete with Fleetwood for players, Burton Albion would have consistently played at least two leagues above us for the past decade, Donny would be a much bigger club, we would be looking enviously over at Sincil Bank and fans are worried about the likes of a Salford City, they'd have been sectioned. The game of football is moving swiftly and we seem to be permanently anchored to stagnation at best. And by standing still, it actually means you're going backwards in comparison to our peers.

We are floundering as a club when it comes to progression and most fans just seem to accept it clinging onto past glories and supposed admirable traditional footballing principles that died years ago. No wonder we're looked down at as bottom feeders in the Football League. The attitudes and resignation of a vast section of our fans really doesn't help and gives the real roadblock to our progression a relatively trouble free ride.

It's like a large proportion of our fan base have turned back into happy clapping died in the wool lemmings because we look like we've got a half decent management team that will squeeze every ounce out of a poor infrastructure. It's a bit of hope built on extremely rocky and temporary foundations yet we seem to have a pack of wolves hunting down any sign of dissension or doubt.

Pointing fingers at every other club who seem to be progressing in the right direction saying that's unfair or this isn't the way to do things like clubs have always done. I don't get it myself. Has the fight gone out of our fan base or have I forgotten that it's always been the Grimsby way?

Just seems like everyone is resting on their laurels because we've maybe got MJ for a couple of years. How many years since the last proper new stadium update? And six months since the Trust survey. Are we sleepwalking into obscurity or is there anything progressive going on in the background?

At least the players have got that new fangled Sky TV thingy at the training ground and a new washing machine..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 74
KingstonMariner
July 22, 2018, 2:42pm
Meths Drinker
I think we're sleepwalking (or in severe danger of it) Bigdog. But if the only alternative is to sell our soul I'd rather not play that banjo. In actuality I think there is another way, where we harness the potential of the whole fanbase and community. But there doesn't seem to be the will.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 74
AndyDarloFC
July 22, 2018, 3:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Hate Salford and everything about them, what they’ve become and how they suddenly think they are billy big balderdash.

So much hypocrisy from the class of 92 from when they originally took over. Really hope it goes mammaries for these shithouses.

The media can intercourse right off with the amount of attention they give them too. There’s so many more non league clubs deserving of some of the spotlight too. Just remember Salford.

#AgainstAllOdds intercourse OFF!

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 56 - 74
marinerdazza
July 22, 2018, 4:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from AndyDarloFC
Hate Salford and everything about them, what they’ve become and how they suddenly think they are billy big balderdash.

So much hypocrisy from the class of 92 from when they originally took over. Really hope it goes mammaries for these shithouses.

The media can intercourse right off with the amount of attention they give them too. There’s so many more non league clubs deserving of some of the spotlight too. Just remember Salford.

#AgainstAllOdds intercourse OFF!

I suspect there wouldn’t be quite as much “well done Salford” on here if we were in the conference and had just seen them buy one of the promotion spots. I’m as amazed at some of the pro Salford responses as they appear to be at mine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 74
TheCodfather1966
July 22, 2018, 4:43pm
Lager Top Drinker
This is pure jealousy, nothing more nothing less.  If all the so-called anti Salford brigade are so against this, would they be so against any former town players sinking money into GTFC .................  I think not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 74
KingstonMariner
July 22, 2018, 4:55pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from TheCodfather1966
This is pure jealousy, nothing more nothing less.  If all the so-called anti Salford brigade are so against this, would they be so against any former town players sinking money into GTFC .................  I think not.

That is such an unlikely scenario it’s barely hypothetical.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 74
KingstonMariner
July 22, 2018, 4:58pm
Meths Drinker
PS even if people are hypocritical about this it doesn’t mean that the principal they’re arguing for is wrong.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 74
mariner91
July 22, 2018, 5:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,255
Gold Stars: 253
I don’t think the issue is them putting money in, it’s the amount they are artificially inflating their budget and giving them such a huge financial advantage.

Last season they averaged less than 1400 fans at home despite winning promotion and they were charging £10 per ticket so their income per home match is less than £10K when you take concessions and season tickets into account.

If they’re paying one single player pretty much their entire gate receipts (some weeks they won’t have gate receipts cause they’ll be away) then that’s ridiculous and makes a mockery of the division. That doesn’t even take into account the transfer fee paid for that player. What will they do when financial fair play comes into the equation because they must be comfortably spending at least 10x their income?

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 74
marinerdazza
July 22, 2018, 5:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
I don’t think the issue is them putting money in, it’s the amount they are artificially inflating their budget and giving them such a huge financial advantage.

Last season they averaged less than 1400 fans at home despite winning promotion and they were charging £10 per ticket so their income per home match is less than £10K when you take concessions and season tickets into account.

If they’re paying one single player pretty much their entire gate receipts (some weeks they won’t have gate receipts cause they’ll be away) then that’s ridiculous and makes a mockery of the division. That doesn’t even take into account the transfer fee paid for that player. What will they do when financial fair play comes into the equation because they must be comfortably spending at least 10x their income?

This.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 74
marinerdazza
July 22, 2018, 5:27pm
Cocktail Drinker

Jealous of the way Accrington Stanley and Lincoln have been run over the last few years? Yes.

Jealous of Salford City? You’re having a laugh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 74
Bigdog
July 22, 2018, 5:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I think we're sleepwalking (or in severe danger of it) Bigdog. But if the only alternative is to sell our soul I'd rather not play that banjo. In actuality I think there is another way, where we harness the potential of the whole fanbase and community. But there doesn't seem to be the will.

In reality KM, we've already sold our soul to someone who hasn't got the cash or the wherewithal to takes us forward. Selling our soul to someone who has more cash to invest and more acumen looks like a better bet than the hand we've got already. I don't care how much of a fan the owner is, how's that worked out for us over the past twenty years and who else is there locally to save us anyway? I want that person to be the best man for the job with the most cash to unlock the club's full potential by investing into infrastructure where it's badly needed. Pipe dream I know, but we can always hope as other League clubs have seemed to manage it recently.

Totally agree with you regarding your second point about the lack of will inside the fanbase and community though. It's just not there to make a significant difference, and that's a worry as much as it's a shame..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 74
BrMarin
July 22, 2018, 6:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +98
Gold Stars: 8
I wonder if any posters on this thread have man u as a "second team"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 74
marinerdazza
July 22, 2018, 6:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from BrMarin
I wonder if any posters on this thread have man u as a "second team"

Oh Christ, don’t even get me started on second teams..  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 74
KingstonMariner
July 22, 2018, 10:19pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

In reality KM, we've already sold our soul to someone who hasn't got the cash or the wherewithal to takes us forward. Selling our soul to someone who has more cash to invest and more acumen looks like a better bet than the hand we've got already. I don't care how much of a fan the owner is, how's that worked out for us over the past twenty years and who else is there locally to save us anyway? I want that person to be the best man for the job with the most cash to unlock the club's full potential by investing into infrastructure where it's badly needed. Pipe dream I know, but we can always hope as other League clubs have seemed to manage it recently.

Totally agree with you regarding your second point about the lack of will inside the fanbase and community though. It's just not there to make a significant difference, and that's a worry as much as it's a shame..

I don’t see Fenty as Mephistopheles. Just a misguided person with an overinflated sense of his own abilities. Regrettable as his regime has been, there’s still a flickering flame. If some mega rich person pours lots of money into the club, what does that mean? In what way will GTFC still represent us?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 74
Posh Harry
July 23, 2018, 5:14am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34

Maybe you could point out just exactly when they actually played for Salford to make your analogy accurately?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 74
MarinerMal
July 23, 2018, 12:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Ipswin

That's the ridiculous thing about all the anti-Fenty whingers

They want him out and for him not to have any loans (benign or otherwise) but they female dog about Jolley having a good transfer budget

Sadly we can't have it both ways, we need his money or there just isn't enough. Working within your means is one thing but if 'your means' means signing absolute duffers because they're free then we can't moan if we finish 18th (or worse)

Why can't we have Fenty out AND Jolley have a good transfer budget? What makes you think they are in anyway mutually exclusive?

How about this. Fenty leaves and someone comes who is more capable of running a football club,  without sending the club spiraling down the divisions, out of the football league and bringing the club almost to it's knee's.Then maybe with the club now being run so much better it generates more income and therefore Jolley gets a larger transfer budget. Result: Fenty is out and Jolley has a good transfer budget.

We don't need his money, he hardly puts any in nowadays.

For the record, I've never complained about the transfer budget and can't remember hearing anyone claiming the need for a larger transfer budget either. Not this close season at least.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 74
TheCodfather1966
July 23, 2018, 6:01pm
Lager Top Drinker
The saddest fact on this forum is that because so-called fans cannot think of anything productive to say about GTFC, they start attacking a club / regime that has got nothing to do with them whatsoever.  Almost the same as the constant obession by a few on here about Lincoln City and what they are up to.  I am GTFC 100% and don't give a flying f**k what other teams are doing, merely my own team.  Back to my original point if we was ever lucky enough for Fenty to disappear and a decent chairman with money to burn got involved, would we all be saying this was unfair if suddenly our budget was far higher than any other team.................  Get a grip...............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 74
rancido
July 23, 2018, 8:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from marinerdazza

Oh Christ, don’t even get me started on second teams..  

Now the idea of a " second team " is a concept I just cannot understand unless of course it is your National team eg England.

As regards Chairmen/Board members donating/pumping money into a club then this is nothing new. Back in the mid 60's the Hull Chairman ( Harold Needler , owner of Needlers Chocolate ) gifted the club a considerable sum of money purely to purchase players. The club persuaded three players from the higher divisions ( Ken Wagstaffe  was one of them ) to sign for them with the sole intention of gaining promotion. I do believe they were runaway champions that season although town managed to draw with them at Boothferry Park and we beat them at BP.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 74
KingstonMariner
July 23, 2018, 9:08pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from MarinerMal

Why can't we have Fenty out AND Jolley have a good transfer budget? What makes you think they are in anyway mutually exclusive?

How about this. Fenty leaves and someone comes who is more capable of running a football club,  without sending the club spiraling down the divisions, out of the football league and bringing the club almost to it's knee's.Then maybe with the club now being run so much better it generates more income and therefore Jolley gets a larger transfer budget. Result: Fenty is out and Jolley has a good transfer budget.

We don't need his money, he takes money out nowadays.

For the record, I've never complained about the transfer budget and can't remember hearing anyone claiming the need for a larger transfer budget either. Not this close season at least.

Corrected it for you.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 74
TheCodfather1966
July 23, 2018, 10:08pm
Lager Top Drinker
One thing is massively clear at GTFC, love him or hate him, we are certainly going nowhere under Fenty's leadership at Board level.  Looking at our current squad and how the other teams have strengthened, it is pretty clear we are in for a very hard season again, and if we finish much above the bottom four or five I would be surprised.  How many of our current squad are decent players that you could mould a team around ?  It will be a long hard season, we all know it, but at the start of any season we all harbour delusions of grandeur, and at least for four or five games we all think we can have a good season.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 74
TheCodfather1966
July 23, 2018, 10:08pm
Lager Top Drinker
One thing is massively clear at GTFC, love him or hate him, we are certainly going nowhere under Fenty's leadership at Board level.  Looking at our current squad and how the other teams have strengthened, it is pretty clear we are in for a very hard season again, and if we finish much above the bottom four or five I would be surprised.  How many of our current squad are decent players that you could mould a team around ?  It will be a long hard season, we all know it, but at the start of any season we all harbour delusions of grandeur, and at least for four or five games we all think we can have a good season.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 74
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.