Son of Cod
May 4, 2018, 1:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from buckstown
Think a lack of depth probably caught up with Shrewsbury in the end but he's still done a remarkable job and somebody will be having him soon. Given their position when he took over it seems staggering that any Shrewsbury fans are even close to moaning
Still think the Cowley boys will be rocking up at Portman Road in early June. They're local, ambitious and I would imagine their stock is as high as any other managers in leagues one or two

Yep, agree with you on the Shrews squad lacking depth. Seems mad that the Salop fans are criticising Hurst for not getting them an auto spot when you look at their squad/starting line-up. What I find interesting is that we were often lambasted by other Non-league fans for not being 100% enthused with Hurst for failing to go beyond his remit and getting us the Confenrence title...and now it's happening at Shrewsbury. I've always thought that Hurst's time at Shrewsbury will be best judged on what happens when the chips are down and the honeymoon period with the fans ends. Has he learnt to accept even an iota of responsibility or is it still the players'/fans'/ref's fault and definitely NOT Paul Hurst's?  He's done tremendously well to stave off the end of this honeymoon period until the very end of the season to the point that I think he will end up taking another job and we probably won't actually see any kind of breakdown between him and the Shrews fans. His answers regarding the Ipswich job won't fill Salop with any confidence, but I could actually see him going to Barnsley as well. I think the Portuguese guy they got in is only there until the end of the season.

Unfortunately, I can't see the Cowleys going anywhere this summer. They signed new deals at Lincoln this week, I think? Also just moved to Lincoln apparently and they're getting a new £1.5M training facility.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 56
Impish2
May 4, 2018, 2:30pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +55
The Cowleys have just extended their contracts until 2022 and are moving their families into new houses up here in July. The kids are going to school here so I doubt they will be doing all that to upsticks to Ipswich or anywhere else in the forseable future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 56
Les Brechin
May 4, 2018, 2:41pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Impish2
The Cowleys have just extended their contracts until 2022 and are moving their families into new houses up here in July. The kids are going to school here so I doubt they will be doing all that to upsticks to Ipswich or anywhere else in the forseable future.

To be honest contracts mean sod all these days. It just gives the current club more bargaining power for compensation if a bigger club comes calling.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 56
grimsby pete
May 4, 2018, 3:25pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
I was always on the fence while Hurst was here,

Then when I decided he would never get us up he did, :

Like him or not he has done a great job turning Shrewsbury into a winning side,

If he goes to Ipswich he will be given time to build a side which he does do well,

Whether the fans will take to him is another thing.

BTW   How far is it from Rotherham to Ipswich ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 56
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 4, 2018, 4:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from buckstown
As a manager on his own he has had just the one success
Harsh
I think saving the Shrews from relegation last year was a major success, as is securing third place this season. Surely it's all relative to resources and expectation?

Definitely relative but in football management terms a success is a trophy and/or a promotion. Saving the Shrews was not a problem, it was a win/win. Do it and he’s a hero, fail and it was the fault of the previous manager.

I agree with Pete about Ipswich to a degree. They could give him time to build but on the other hand maybe they are fed up of the Steady Eddie Yorkie approach now after McCarthy.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 56
livvo
May 4, 2018, 4:18pm
Beer Drinker
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 6
How shrews fans can even contemplate criticising Hurst is a mystery. Saved them from relegation, and gets them to the top end of the table.  And I though we were spoilt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 56
Impish2
May 4, 2018, 4:43pm
Beer Drinker
Approval: +55
Quoted from Les Brechin

To be honest contracts mean sod all these days. It just gives the current club more bargaining power for compensation if a bigger club comes calling.

Of course, not saying they will be here another 4 years but it's going to cost anyone mega money in compensation if they go before.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 56
KingstonMariner
May 4, 2018, 6:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Ipswin

I'd soon end the illegitimate Press the button and wipe out every fornicator Assad supporters, the Russians, the Yanks, ISIS, the Assad opposition

Oh and its 'corp' not 'core' BTW

It's usually spelt 'corps'.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 56
Rodley Mariner
May 4, 2018, 7:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177

Definitely relative but in football management terms a success is a trophy and/or a promotion. Saving the Shrews was not a problem, it was a win/win. Do it and he’s a hero, fail and it was the fault of the previous manager.

I agree with Pete about Ipswich to a degree. They could give him time to build but on the other hand maybe they are fed up of the Steady Eddie Yorkie approach now after McCarthy.

But he did save them and he's then taken them to third in League 1 behind two recent Premier League teams with far bigger budgets. I get you don't like him and I get that some found him dour and the football could be pretty pragmatic and safe. However, to claim he's not succeeding at Shrewsbury is just ridiculous. Michael Jolley has succeeded at Town in the last few weeks but he's not got a trophy or a promotion. Has Sean Dyche not been successful at Burnley this season?

I'm not convinced Shrewsbury fans wanting him sacked isn't a figment of your imagination but if it isn't then they're flipping idiots.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 56
HertsGTFC
May 4, 2018, 7:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Impish2

Of course, not saying they will be here another 4 years but it's going to cost anyone mega money in compensation if they go before.

There is no chance of the Cowley’s going to Ipswich, they would not be popular as Ipswich fans like to see the ball played on the ground, not hoofed up to the fat tw@t.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst to Ipswich

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.