6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
May 5, 2018, 12:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Ex Ipswich player and manager George Burley has applied there is a huge back  page spread in the local rag today how he desperately wants to come back and how he would have Terry Butcher as his No 2.

The fans will want it don't know about the owner tho'. Burley has been out of football since he was sacked by Apollon Limassol after two games in 2012

Same page has an article about Hurst and his 'I cant promise I'll be here next season' statement

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 56
grimsby pete
May 5, 2018, 1:36pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Ipswin
Ex Ipswich player and manager George Burley has applied there is a huge back  page spread in the local rag today how he desperately wants to come back and how he would have Terry Butcher as his No 2.

The fans will want it don't know about the owner tho'. Burley has been out of football since he was sacked by Apollon Limassol after two games in 2012

Same page has an article about Hurst and his 'I cant promise I'll be here next season' statement

A bit like Alan Buckley coming back for the 4th time Swin  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 56
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 5, 2018, 1:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

But he did save them and he's then taken them to third in League 1 behind two recent Premier League teams with far bigger budgets. I get you don't like him and I get that some found him dour and the football could be pretty pragmatic and safe. However, to claim he's not succeeding at Shrewsbury is just ridiculous. Michael Jolley has succeeded at Town in the last few weeks but he's not got a trophy or a promotion. Has Sean Dyche not been successful at Burnley this season?

I'm not convinced Shrewsbury fans wanting him sacked isn't a figment of your imagination but if it isn't then they're flipping idiots.

Don’t be daft Rodders, it is no figment. You know as well as I do how fickle fans are. Those who thought he was the messiah before Christmas when they were league toppers are just as likely to turn on him if they lose in the playoffs. That’s football. The critical posts are on the Shrewsbury forum if you care to read them. Would not take much to change opinions especially if he says the wrong thing about staying or going. It is not a case of liking or disliking him. The eulogising over Jolley may  be deserved today, he could be said to have saved us, but in January a bad run and some dodgy signings would change the Fishy posts overnight.

As for Dyche - he got Burnley an auto promotion place so of course he is a success there in anyone’s book.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 56
Rodley Mariner
May 5, 2018, 2:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176

Don’t be daft Rodders, it is no figment. You know as well as I do how fickle fans are. Those who thought he was the messiah before Christmas when they were league toppers are just as likely to turn on him if they lose in the playoffs. That’s football. The critical posts are on the Shrewsbury forum if you care to read them. Would not take much to change opinions especially if he says the wrong thing about staying or going. It is not a case of liking or disliking him. The eulogising over Jolley may  be deserved today, he could be said to have saved us, but in January a bad run and some dodgy signings would change the Fishy posts overnight.

As for Dyche - he got Burnley an auto promotion place so of course he is a success there in anyone’s book.

I've just been on their forum and they're all worried about losing him. Talk of when did they last have such a universally popular manger:

http://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/97068/more-interest-hurst
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 56
Ipswin
May 5, 2018, 3:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

A bit like Alan Buckley coming back for the 4th time Swin  

Bloody hell Pete I wouldn't wish that even on the Tractor Boys !

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 56
Ipswin
May 11, 2018, 12:30pm
Vodka Drinker
The St Mirren bloke is now favourite although Hurst is still in the frame apparently

Private Message
Reply: 45 - 56
RichMariner
May 11, 2018, 12:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Say Shrewsbury don't go up, and next season they're 13th in November... I reckon a few Shrews fans will be wanting change.

Yet had you given them 13th this season after scraping survival the season before, they'd have bitten your hand off.

Football is all about momentum, and where you've come from/going to.

Finishing 3rd in League 1 will have adjusted most of their fans' expectations and so the pressure will be on to repeat it - or go one better - next season, to prove it's no fluke.

Deep down Hurst may feel like it's best if he leaves while his stock is high. Mind you, he kept delivering at Grimsby season after season, getting us in contention for play-offs & promotion while under immense pressure to do so.

I think his next move will be very interesting. After all the nice stuff he said about them when he left us, it'd be a bit odd to then dump that for something else. I didn't have him down as someone who jumps ship easily.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 46 - 56
Ipswin
May 15, 2018, 11:36am
Vodka Drinker
Double page spread today in the local rag - lots of references to Grimsby and a photo of Toto.

Reckon it depends on whether Shrews go up or not. If they don't I can see him jumping ship (again) but another article says the St Mirren bloke is actively talking to Ipswich

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town-five-point-plan-and-shrewsbury-boss-paul-hurst-1-5517483

Private Message
Reply: 47 - 56
ginnywings
May 15, 2018, 12:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
The way they describe McCarthy and his defensive style, where 'every point is a prisoner', could be describing Hurst to a tee. If the fans are not happy with the style they have now, i can't see it changing much under Hurst.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 56
GrimRob
May 15, 2018, 1:04pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,402
Gold Stars: 113
Hasn't Hurst followed up every promotion he has had with a new job the following season?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 49 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst to Ipswich

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.