6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
buckstown
May 4, 2018, 11:32am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
Think a lack of depth probably caught up with Shrewsbury in the end but he's still done a remarkable job and somebody will be having him soon. Given their position when he took over it seems staggering that any Shrewsbury fans are even close to moaning
Still think the Cowley boys will be rocking up at Portman Road in early June. They're local, ambitious and I would imagine their stock is as high as any other managers in leagues one or two
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 56
Les Brechin
May 4, 2018, 11:35am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,690
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Meza
Cant wait to see Rodman at Ipswich 😂😂

We can teach them the Lenell John-Lewis song too.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 56
ginnywings
May 4, 2018, 11:55am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I think the problem with Hurst, as far as fans are concerned, is that he is a bit dour and one dimensional, and so are his teams. Chairmen like him because he's a safe pair of hands and will have teams winning more than they lose. The fans will like it at first because of these same reasons, but eventually, the novelty starts to wear off and he never surprises. In snooker parlance (topical eh!), he's a Peter Ebdon, when the fans crave a Ronnie O'Sullivan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 56
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 4, 2018, 12:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Well yes, by not failing.

True, no relegations. As a manager on his own he has had just the one success and that was more by good luck than judgement in many eyes. We shall see what happens this time. Perhaps he has learned.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 56
Ipswin
May 4, 2018, 12:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from ginnywings
I think the problem with Hurst, as far as fans are concerned, is that he is a bit dour and one dimensional, and so are his teams.

That was the problem with McCarthy as far as the fans were concerned leading to some of the smallest attendances ever and normally easy going middle of the road Suffolk boys calling for him to go.

I doubt the Cowleys will come but it may depend on the playoffs, if they take Lincoln up then they would surely be tempted to stay.

Personally I think Chris Coleman is the best available now Mowbray has said no

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 56
moosey_club
May 4, 2018, 12:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,201
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Ipswin

That was the problem with McCarthy as far as the fans were concerned leading to some of the smallest attendances ever and normally easy going middle of the road Suffolk boys calling for him to go.

I doubt the Cowleys will come but it may depend on the playoffs, if they take Lincoln up then they would surely be tempted to stay.

Personally I think Chris Coleman is the best available now Mowbray has said no

Lincoln aren't assured the play off's yet are they ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 56
Dan
May 4, 2018, 12:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551

True, no relegations. As a manager on his own he has had just the one success and that was more by good luck than judgement in many eyes. We shall see what happens this time. Perhaps he has learned.

When you look at his win rate though, it really is exceptional (albeit with teams lower down the leagues).

Paul Hursts worst is better than Russel Slades best.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 56
Ipswin
May 4, 2018, 12:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from moosey_club

Lincoln aren't assured the play off's yet are they ?

No, that's why I said it depends on the playoffs.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 56
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 4, 2018, 12:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Dan

When you look at his win rate though, it really is exceptional (albeit with teams lower down the leagues).

Paul Hursts worst is better than Russel Slades best.

Daft as it seems, if he had been more successful his win rate would certainly be lower. It took him so many seasons in the Conference with a side that ought to have been promoted at least 2 seasons earlier so was bound to win a lot more than he lost. It gives him credit in the bank. It isn’t about the league the club is in, it’s about the position of the club in that league, budget and so on. Slade never has managed a club in the top 5 sort of position Town were in under Hurst..

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 56
buckstown
May 4, 2018, 1:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
As a manager on his own he has had just the one success
Harsh
I think saving the Shrews from relegation last year was a major success, as is securing third place this season. Surely it's all relative to resources and expectation?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst to Ipswich

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.