Private Message
hheh2
May 3, 2018, 7:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
He's off then wonder what Doig has got to say, or not.  

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 56
Father Christmas
May 3, 2018, 7:54pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -10
Sniff sniff
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 56
Tommy
May 3, 2018, 7:59pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
That's how football works isn't it. Couldn't blame him for taking the next step up. Make the move up while your stock's high 'cos if they struggle to midtable next season he might not get opportunities like this again.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 56
Ipswin
May 3, 2018, 8:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Can't stand Ipswich Town - I have lived here 40 years this year and have only been inside Portman Road 4 times - 3 to see Town and once with the Willem II fans for a friendly, but I wouldn't wish Hurst on them.

If he does come (and its more possible now Mowbray has definitely ruled himself out) I might see him in the street and I can cup my ear at the little excrement so maybe not all bad

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 56
jamesgtfc
May 3, 2018, 8:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,938
Gold Stars: 190
Shrewsbury best hope Chris Doig isn't on media duty this weekend. If he is, they best hope he is unaware Ipswich are looking for a new manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 56
GrimRob
May 3, 2018, 8:38pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,400
Gold Stars: 113
Ten year's time he'll be linked with the England job at this rate

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 56
ginnywings
May 3, 2018, 8:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Hurst wouldn't talk to another club behind the back of his current employers, surely.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 56
HertsGTFC
May 3, 2018, 8:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Ipswin
Can't stand Ipswich Town - I have lived here 40 years this year and have only been inside Portman Road 4 times - 3 to see Town and once with the Willem II fans for a friendly, but I wouldn't wish Hurst on them.

If he does come (and its more possible now Mowbray has definitely ruled himself out) I might see him in the street and I can cup my ear at the little excrement so maybe not all bad

I bet Ipswich are relieved as they are now firmly categorised with the rest of society  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 56
Rick12
May 3, 2018, 9:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Has surprised me he has done so well

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 56
Meza
May 3, 2018, 9:25pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Cant wait to see Rodman at Ipswich 😂😂

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 56
MuddyWaters
May 3, 2018, 10:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Ipswin

As I'm sure they are eternally grateful that you grace their parish with your presence Swin. Maybe you ought to move to somewhere that would appreciate you....like Syria.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 56
KingstonMariner
May 4, 2018, 1:01am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MuddyWaters

As I'm sure they are eternally grateful that you grace their parish with your presence Swin. Maybe you ought to move to somewhere that would appreciate you....like Syria.

Swin in Syria: Call this a war! flipping shambles. It's been going 7 years and you still haven't beaten this bunch of lunatics. Even that little twit Hurst would have won by now. Now I know I said with the Russians help the government would never retake the Damascus suburbs, and they've gone and done it granted, I was wrong, but who's to say Assad wouldn't have done it on his own?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 56
buckstown
May 4, 2018, 9:23am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,177
Gold Stars: 79
Good luck to him, he's performed a minor miracle at Shrewsbury. Nobody owes anybody anything in modern football, if the Shrews lost their first three games next season they'd be calling for his head.
Make hay while the sun shines or something like that!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 56
1mickylyons
May 4, 2018, 9:56am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Swin in Syria: Call this a war! flipping shambles. It's been going 7 years and you still haven't beaten this bunch of lunatics. Even that little twit Hurst would have won by now. Now I know I said with the Russians help the government would never retake the Damascus suburbs, and they've gone and done it granted, I was wrong, but who's to say Assad wouldn't have done it on his own?

Swin could easily start a War he would make a fantastic addition to our diplomatic core
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 56
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 4, 2018, 10:14am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from buckstown
Good luck to him, he's performed a minor miracle at Shrewsbury. Nobody owes anybody anything in modern football, if the Shrews lost their first three games next season they'd be calling for his head.
Make hay while the sun shines or something like that!!

If they lose in the playoffs there may be  calls for his head anyway. Plenty of Shrews fans think they could have got an automatic place if he had carried on with the style they showed earlier in the season when they were top of the league, but he did his usual,  aimed low and the results petered out.

Ipswich would probably be a good club for him in one way, they are very tolerant of bland football and lack of success and keep their managers a long time as a rule.

I think he will go to Ipswich (or somewhere) regardless of the playoffs because he has to move, the only way for him at Shrewsbury now is down and he is very good at marketing himself as a manager who does not fail.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 56
MeanwoodMariner
May 4, 2018, 10:21am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8

he is very good at marketing himself as a manager who does not fail.

Well yes, by not failing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 56
1mickylyons
May 4, 2018, 10:23am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56

If they lose in the playoffs there may be  calls for his head anyway. Plenty of Shrews fans think they could have got an automatic place if he had carried on with the style they showed earlier in the season when they were top of the league, but he did his usual,  aimed low and the results petered out.

Ipswich would probably be a good club for him in one way, they are very tolerant of bland football and lack of success and keep their managers a long time as a rule.

I think he will go to Ipswich (or somewhere) regardless of the playoffs because he has to move, the only way for him at Shrewsbury now is down and he is very good at marketing himself as a manager who does not fail.

I can see they would be disappointed but highly doubt given a Wembley failing (he was good at them) already and a chance at going up they would want him out?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 56
Ipswin
May 4, 2018, 10:46am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Swin could easily start a War he would make a fantastic addition to our diplomatic core

I'd soon end the illegitimate Press the button and wipe out every fornicator Assad supporters, the Russians, the Yanks, ISIS, the Assad opposition

Oh and its 'corp' not 'core' BTW

Private Message
Reply: 18 - 56
May 4, 2018, 10:54am
Guest User
perhaps Hurst has learnt from Slade lose in the playoffs/final,   so your old club is not in the same division as your new one.  
Reply: 19 - 56
buckstown
May 4, 2018, 11:32am
Champagne Drinker
Think a lack of depth probably caught up with Shrewsbury in the end but he's still done a remarkable job and somebody will be having him soon. Given their position when he took over it seems staggering that any Shrewsbury fans are even close to moaning
Still think the Cowley boys will be rocking up at Portman Road in early June. They're local, ambitious and I would imagine their stock is as high as any other managers in leagues one or two
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 56
Les Brechin
May 4, 2018, 11:35am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,699
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Meza
Cant wait to see Rodman at Ipswich 😂😂

We can teach them the Lenell John-Lewis song too.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 56
ginnywings
May 4, 2018, 11:55am

Recovering Alcoholic
I think the problem with Hurst, as far as fans are concerned, is that he is a bit dour and one dimensional, and so are his teams. Chairmen like him because he's a safe pair of hands and will have teams winning more than they lose. The fans will like it at first because of these same reasons, but eventually, the novelty starts to wear off and he never surprises. In snooker parlance (topical eh!), he's a Peter Ebdon, when the fans crave a Ronnie O'Sullivan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 56
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 4, 2018, 12:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Well yes, by not failing.

True, no relegations. As a manager on his own he has had just the one success and that was more by good luck than judgement in many eyes. We shall see what happens this time. Perhaps he has learned.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 56
Ipswin
May 4, 2018, 12:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I think the problem with Hurst, as far as fans are concerned, is that he is a bit dour and one dimensional, and so are his teams.

That was the problem with McCarthy as far as the fans were concerned leading to some of the smallest attendances ever and normally easy going middle of the road Suffolk boys calling for him to go.

I doubt the Cowleys will come but it may depend on the playoffs, if they take Lincoln up then they would surely be tempted to stay.

Personally I think Chris Coleman is the best available now Mowbray has said no

Private Message
Reply: 24 - 56
moosey_club
May 4, 2018, 12:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,240
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Ipswin

That was the problem with McCarthy as far as the fans were concerned leading to some of the smallest attendances ever and normally easy going middle of the road Suffolk boys calling for him to go.

I doubt the Cowleys will come but it may depend on the playoffs, if they take Lincoln up then they would surely be tempted to stay.

Personally I think Chris Coleman is the best available now Mowbray has said no

Lincoln aren't assured the play off's yet are they ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 56
Dan
May 4, 2018, 12:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551

True, no relegations. As a manager on his own he has had just the one success and that was more by good luck than judgement in many eyes. We shall see what happens this time. Perhaps he has learned.

When you look at his win rate though, it really is exceptional (albeit with teams lower down the leagues).

Paul Hursts worst is better than Russel Slades best.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 56
Ipswin
May 4, 2018, 12:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Lincoln aren't assured the play off's yet are they ?

No, that's why I said it depends on the playoffs.

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 56
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 4, 2018, 12:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Dan

When you look at his win rate though, it really is exceptional (albeit with teams lower down the leagues).

Paul Hursts worst is better than Russel Slades best.

Daft as it seems, if he had been more successful his win rate would certainly be lower. It took him so many seasons in the Conference with a side that ought to have been promoted at least 2 seasons earlier so was bound to win a lot more than he lost. It gives him credit in the bank. It isn’t about the league the club is in, it’s about the position of the club in that league, budget and so on. Slade never has managed a club in the top 5 sort of position Town were in under Hurst..

Private Message
Reply: 28 - 56
buckstown
May 4, 2018, 1:17pm
Champagne Drinker
As a manager on his own he has had just the one success
Harsh
I think saving the Shrews from relegation last year was a major success, as is securing third place this season. Surely it's all relative to resources and expectation?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 56
Son of Cod
May 4, 2018, 1:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from buckstown
Think a lack of depth probably caught up with Shrewsbury in the end but he's still done a remarkable job and somebody will be having him soon. Given their position when he took over it seems staggering that any Shrewsbury fans are even close to moaning
Still think the Cowley boys will be rocking up at Portman Road in early June. They're local, ambitious and I would imagine their stock is as high as any other managers in leagues one or two

Yep, agree with you on the Shrews squad lacking depth. Seems mad that the Salop fans are criticising Hurst for not getting them an auto spot when you look at their squad/starting line-up. What I find interesting is that we were often lambasted by other Non-league fans for not being 100% enthused with Hurst for failing to go beyond his remit and getting us the Confenrence title...and now it's happening at Shrewsbury. I've always thought that Hurst's time at Shrewsbury will be best judged on what happens when the chips are down and the honeymoon period with the fans ends. Has he learnt to accept even an iota of responsibility or is it still the players'/fans'/ref's fault and definitely NOT Paul Hurst's?  He's done tremendously well to stave off the end of this honeymoon period until the very end of the season to the point that I think he will end up taking another job and we probably won't actually see any kind of breakdown between him and the Shrews fans. His answers regarding the Ipswich job won't fill Salop with any confidence, but I could actually see him going to Barnsley as well. I think the Portuguese guy they got in is only there until the end of the season.

Unfortunately, I can't see the Cowleys going anywhere this summer. They signed new deals at Lincoln this week, I think? Also just moved to Lincoln apparently and they're getting a new £1.5M training facility.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 56
Impish2
May 4, 2018, 2:30pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +55
The Cowleys have just extended their contracts until 2022 and are moving their families into new houses up here in July. The kids are going to school here so I doubt they will be doing all that to upsticks to Ipswich or anywhere else in the forseable future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 56
Les Brechin
May 4, 2018, 2:41pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,699
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Impish2
The Cowleys have just extended their contracts until 2022 and are moving their families into new houses up here in July. The kids are going to school here so I doubt they will be doing all that to upsticks to Ipswich or anywhere else in the forseable future.

To be honest contracts mean sod all these days. It just gives the current club more bargaining power for compensation if a bigger club comes calling.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 56
grimsby pete
May 4, 2018, 3:25pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I was always on the fence while Hurst was here,

Then when I decided he would never get us up he did, :

Like him or not he has done a great job turning Shrewsbury into a winning side,

If he goes to Ipswich he will be given time to build a side which he does do well,

Whether the fans will take to him is another thing.

BTW   How far is it from Rotherham to Ipswich ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 56
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 4, 2018, 4:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from buckstown
As a manager on his own he has had just the one success
Harsh
I think saving the Shrews from relegation last year was a major success, as is securing third place this season. Surely it's all relative to resources and expectation?

Definitely relative but in football management terms a success is a trophy and/or a promotion. Saving the Shrews was not a problem, it was a win/win. Do it and he’s a hero, fail and it was the fault of the previous manager.

I agree with Pete about Ipswich to a degree. They could give him time to build but on the other hand maybe they are fed up of the Steady Eddie Yorkie approach now after McCarthy.

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 56
livvo
May 4, 2018, 4:18pm
Beer Drinker
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 6
How shrews fans can even contemplate criticising Hurst is a mystery. Saved them from relegation, and gets them to the top end of the table.  And I though we were spoilt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 56
Impish2
May 4, 2018, 4:43pm
Beer Drinker
Approval: +55
Quoted from Les Brechin

To be honest contracts mean sod all these days. It just gives the current club more bargaining power for compensation if a bigger club comes calling.

Of course, not saying they will be here another 4 years but it's going to cost anyone mega money in compensation if they go before.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 56
KingstonMariner
May 4, 2018, 6:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Ipswin

I'd soon end the illegitimate Press the button and wipe out every fornicator Assad supporters, the Russians, the Yanks, ISIS, the Assad opposition

Oh and its 'corp' not 'core' BTW

It's usually spelt 'corps'.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 56
Rodley Mariner
May 4, 2018, 7:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176

Definitely relative but in football management terms a success is a trophy and/or a promotion. Saving the Shrews was not a problem, it was a win/win. Do it and he’s a hero, fail and it was the fault of the previous manager.

I agree with Pete about Ipswich to a degree. They could give him time to build but on the other hand maybe they are fed up of the Steady Eddie Yorkie approach now after McCarthy.

But he did save them and he's then taken them to third in League 1 behind two recent Premier League teams with far bigger budgets. I get you don't like him and I get that some found him dour and the football could be pretty pragmatic and safe. However, to claim he's not succeeding at Shrewsbury is just ridiculous. Michael Jolley has succeeded at Town in the last few weeks but he's not got a trophy or a promotion. Has Sean Dyche not been successful at Burnley this season?

I'm not convinced Shrewsbury fans wanting him sacked isn't a figment of your imagination but if it isn't then they're flipping idiots.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 56
HertsGTFC
May 4, 2018, 7:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Impish2

Of course, not saying they will be here another 4 years but it's going to cost anyone mega money in compensation if they go before.

There is no chance of the Cowley’s going to Ipswich, they would not be popular as Ipswich fans like to see the ball played on the ground, not hoofed up to the fat tw@t.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 56
Ipswin
May 5, 2018, 12:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Ex Ipswich player and manager George Burley has applied there is a huge back  page spread in the local rag today how he desperately wants to come back and how he would have Terry Butcher as his No 2.

The fans will want it don't know about the owner tho'. Burley has been out of football since he was sacked by Apollon Limassol after two games in 2012

Same page has an article about Hurst and his 'I cant promise I'll be here next season' statement

Private Message
Reply: 40 - 56
grimsby pete
May 5, 2018, 1:36pm

Exile
Quoted from Ipswin
Ex Ipswich player and manager George Burley has applied there is a huge back  page spread in the local rag today how he desperately wants to come back and how he would have Terry Butcher as his No 2.

The fans will want it don't know about the owner tho'. Burley has been out of football since he was sacked by Apollon Limassol after two games in 2012

Same page has an article about Hurst and his 'I cant promise I'll be here next season' statement

A bit like Alan Buckley coming back for the 4th time Swin  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 56
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 5, 2018, 1:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

But he did save them and he's then taken them to third in League 1 behind two recent Premier League teams with far bigger budgets. I get you don't like him and I get that some found him dour and the football could be pretty pragmatic and safe. However, to claim he's not succeeding at Shrewsbury is just ridiculous. Michael Jolley has succeeded at Town in the last few weeks but he's not got a trophy or a promotion. Has Sean Dyche not been successful at Burnley this season?

I'm not convinced Shrewsbury fans wanting him sacked isn't a figment of your imagination but if it isn't then they're flipping idiots.

Don’t be daft Rodders, it is no figment. You know as well as I do how fickle fans are. Those who thought he was the messiah before Christmas when they were league toppers are just as likely to turn on him if they lose in the playoffs. That’s football. The critical posts are on the Shrewsbury forum if you care to read them. Would not take much to change opinions especially if he says the wrong thing about staying or going. It is not a case of liking or disliking him. The eulogising over Jolley may  be deserved today, he could be said to have saved us, but in January a bad run and some dodgy signings would change the Fishy posts overnight.

As for Dyche - he got Burnley an auto promotion place so of course he is a success there in anyone’s book.

Private Message
Reply: 42 - 56
Rodley Mariner
May 5, 2018, 2:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176

Don’t be daft Rodders, it is no figment. You know as well as I do how fickle fans are. Those who thought he was the messiah before Christmas when they were league toppers are just as likely to turn on him if they lose in the playoffs. That’s football. The critical posts are on the Shrewsbury forum if you care to read them. Would not take much to change opinions especially if he says the wrong thing about staying or going. It is not a case of liking or disliking him. The eulogising over Jolley may  be deserved today, he could be said to have saved us, but in January a bad run and some dodgy signings would change the Fishy posts overnight.

As for Dyche - he got Burnley an auto promotion place so of course he is a success there in anyone’s book.

I've just been on their forum and they're all worried about losing him. Talk of when did they last have such a universally popular manger:

http://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/97068/more-interest-hurst
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 56
Ipswin
May 5, 2018, 3:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

A bit like Alan Buckley coming back for the 4th time Swin  

Bloody hell Pete I wouldn't wish that even on the Tractor Boys !

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 56
Ipswin
May 11, 2018, 12:30pm
Vodka Drinker
The St Mirren bloke is now favourite although Hurst is still in the frame apparently

Private Message
Reply: 45 - 56
RichMariner
May 11, 2018, 12:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,131
Gold Stars: 209
Say Shrewsbury don't go up, and next season they're 13th in November... I reckon a few Shrews fans will be wanting change.

Yet had you given them 13th this season after scraping survival the season before, they'd have bitten your hand off.

Football is all about momentum, and where you've come from/going to.

Finishing 3rd in League 1 will have adjusted most of their fans' expectations and so the pressure will be on to repeat it - or go one better - next season, to prove it's no fluke.

Deep down Hurst may feel like it's best if he leaves while his stock is high. Mind you, he kept delivering at Grimsby season after season, getting us in contention for play-offs & promotion while under immense pressure to do so.

I think his next move will be very interesting. After all the nice stuff he said about them when he left us, it'd be a bit odd to then dump that for something else. I didn't have him down as someone who jumps ship easily.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 46 - 56
Ipswin
May 15, 2018, 11:36am
Vodka Drinker
Double page spread today in the local rag - lots of references to Grimsby and a photo of Toto.

Reckon it depends on whether Shrews go up or not. If they don't I can see him jumping ship (again) but another article says the St Mirren bloke is actively talking to Ipswich

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town-five-point-plan-and-shrewsbury-boss-paul-hurst-1-5517483

Private Message
Reply: 47 - 56
ginnywings
May 15, 2018, 12:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
The way they describe McCarthy and his defensive style, where 'every point is a prisoner', could be describing Hurst to a tee. If the fans are not happy with the style they have now, i can't see it changing much under Hurst.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 56
GrimRob
May 15, 2018, 1:04pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,400
Gold Stars: 113
Hasn't Hurst followed up every promotion he has had with a new job the following season?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 49 - 56
Ipswin
May 15, 2018, 4:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
The way they describe McCarthy and his defensive style, where 'every point is a prisoner', could be describing Hurst to a tee. If the fans are not happy with the style they have now, i can't see it changing much under Hurst.

The fans wanted the bloke from Venlo but who they want now I don't know, doubt they would think much Hurst's style tho'

Great photo of Toto in the mask

Private Message
Reply: 50 - 56
grimsby pete
May 15, 2018, 6:19pm

Exile
Quoted from Ipswin

The fans wanted the bloke from Venlo but who they want now I don't know, doubt they would think much Hurst's style tho'

Great photo of Toto in the mask

I see what you tried to do there Swin.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 56
Gaffer58
May 15, 2018, 6:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Wherever Hurst is next season nothing will be published until after Shrewsbury have played their playoff slalom, all parties involved will have agreed to keep things quiet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 56
May 15, 2018, 6:42pm
Guest User
Just ask Doigy!!😂🤣
Reply: 53 - 56
acko338
May 16, 2018, 2:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
Hurst voted as the League 1 Manager of the year from Sky Sports News this morning !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 56
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 16, 2018, 2:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
Hasn't Hurst followed up every promotion he has had with a new job the following season?

The following season is always harder. You have to prove it wasn’t a fluke.  Ask Ranieri.

Private Message
Reply: 55 - 56
Ipswin
May 16, 2018, 3:06pm
Vodka Drinker
They are now looking at Simon Grayson apparently

Private Message
Reply: 56 - 56
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst to Ipswich

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.