7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
April 28, 2018, 5:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,408
Gold Stars: 534
Wow! What an ending to an awful season! But wow. Slme ohtstanding performances today from certain players, i thought hooper and clarke, both much maligned throughout the season were superb, my MOM was Summerfield. Now we can all just rest. Mention to Jolley, what a job he has done sortinf out slades mess. Phew!!!!! UTFM for next year
Logged Online
Private Message
jonnyboy82
April 28, 2018, 5:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Listen , credit were its due every player played there heart out today and every one was immense.

Well done lads and well done michael jolley.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 66
sonofmadeleymariner
April 28, 2018, 5:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
As above everyone played out of their skins today. Fans were loud and proud and Notts County looked shell shocked from start to finish.

Credit to Jolley who has performed a miricle.

UTM

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 66
jock dock tower
April 28, 2018, 5:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
We should write a letter to hi holiness the Pope in the Vatican seeking canonisation of Lord Michael. Failing that he should be allowed to graze his sheep free of charge for the rest of his natural life over the West Marsh.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 66
dapperz fun pub
April 28, 2018, 5:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from jock dock tower
We should write a letter to hi holiness the Pope in the Vatican seeking canonisation of Lord Michael. Failing that he should be allowed to graze his sheep free of charge for the rest of his natural life over the West Marsh.

The sheep would get nicked though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 66
MuddyWaters
April 28, 2018, 5:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,241
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

The sheep would get nicked though

And probably worse  
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 66
ginnywings
April 28, 2018, 5:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
Thoroughly deserved win. We were the better side from start to finish and if Notts County is the standard needed to get to the top of the league, it shouldn't take much to get there. Jolley has totally transformed the players and the team. Left and right sides of the pitch look far better with Fox, Hooper, RHJ and Clifton. If we had a decent striker to finish off the moves, we would have battered them. For about ten minutes, when Barnet scored and then they equalised, it looked like we were going to undeservedly miss our chance, but for once in a blue moon a striker scored and it couldn't have been at a better time. Clarke's goal was put away like a seasoned front man, passing the ball into the net.

Think that is the best i have seen us play for a long long time and i'm glad we decided it for ourselves and not had to rely on others. A very rare great day at BP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 66
GrimsbyHarry
April 28, 2018, 6:01pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +55
Every player deserves MOTM. Best game I have been to in a while. Jolley truly is a saviour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 66
Badger57
April 28, 2018, 6:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
Just when you think you've seen and experienced everything in football you get a game like THAT!
AMAZING, just an amazing rush at the end and not afraid to say I blubbed like a baby at the end. 😂😂😂😂😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 66
Cloudy
April 28, 2018, 6:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
The term  'stealing a living' has been thrown at Clarke and Hooper on many occasions on The Fishy.

Both were fantastic today. It meant something to them and maybe it was more to do with frustration having to play under Slade? Whatever Jolley has got them working for he team.

McKeowns wonder save then, I have to say, he went walkabout for their goal. Matt rose to head the winner under the nose of the appalling Notts keeper. They were a team of experienced journeymen with a nigly windup team ethic. Thought they were largely poor and would expect Cov or Lincoln to beat them comfortably in the play offs
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 66
Perkins
April 28, 2018, 6:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Badger57
Just when you think you've seen and experienced everything in football you get a game like THAT!
AMAZING, just an amazing rush at the end and not afraid to say I blubbed like a baby at the end. 😂😂😂😂😂

You weren't the only one mate. The same emotions as when we won the play off final.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 66
Grim74
April 28, 2018, 6:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Brilliant we now look a different team all thanks to Jolley, well done town.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 66
Tradjazz
April 28, 2018, 6:13pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: -38
That's what supporting your team through thick and thin is all about. We were promised a rollercoaster ride by MJ and we certainly got it.
Deserved to win but at one point when we were level and Barnet winning it was a case of here we go again. Then along came Matt and the rest is history.
I'd like to thank MJ for restoring the belief in the players, we looked a hundred times better with the same players as we did under RS.
That win today has just cost me £250.
It means I will definitely be getting a season ticket for next year now. Was unsure if I would if we went down again.
UTM

Thank you Mr Corbyn (Steptoe), you are the best thing that has happened to the Conservatives for ages.
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 66
barralad
April 28, 2018, 6:20pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
I cannot remember who it was who sang "Save the best till last" but I reckon Michael Jolley wrote it.
Best performance of the season by a country mile. Despite its importance to both teams it was clear from the first minute that Town wanted it more than County. Summerfield was fantastic. BOTH central defenders did as well as they did in Nottingham in December. Woolford is a totally different player in that position and I do not have the words for Hooper other than to say he was a complete revealation today. As against Swindon Davis came on and used his experience for the cause.
In our little corner of the Pontoon we all felt Town lost a bit of impetus going forward when Cardwell went off and Matt came on. Proof if it were needed that your average fan knows next to feck all! Magnificent header..what scenes! The last time Macca sprinted the best part of 100 yards to join in the celebrations was at that little game at Wembley just short of 2 years ago.
A word (again) for Macca. I cannot wait to see that save on the highlights tonight. Simply magnifique.
For me the difference in outlook between now and a mere two months ago was summed up by two Town defenders busting a gut to get back and clear a goal bound shot off the line.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 66
moosey_club
April 28, 2018, 6:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Yay!!

Totally bossed first half up until 35-40 mins or so when we started to panic and cause ourselves problem....the goal neatly tucked away by a centre halfl, Cliftons great strike off the post, Cardwell and Clifton link up for Cardwells chance and Woolfords effort scrambled off the line....the midfield three of Summerfield , Rose and Woolford were superb ad the whole team pressing high up completely dominated county.

Really good to see the midfield confidently showing for the ball off the back four even when under pressure, RHJ, Clifton & Summerfield building triangles on the right...towels for the ball boys for Rose's throw...some neat play and confidence on the ball at last. Credit all of that to MJ.

Second half we sat a bit deeper but still played well, Hooper coming more to the fore when he drifted out wide...again great chances for Cardwell and Rose after good work from Hooper and as county pushed up we looked quite dangerous on the break.

Luck/great defending/great saves just about kept us in it and just as i thought we were gonna grab a squeaky 1-0 Macca went walkabout...hard to tell from the Ponny what the hell was going on but the net rippled...hearts sank.

But...and credit to Jolley again for instilling this the players didnt give up....still ran, still battled and we got the corner....and fluff me, Matt ghosting in to head home, amazing finish to game/ season.  

When Jolley was appointed i sat on the fence, said i would give the remainder of the season to him before i passed judgement. Well one game early but i think i will give him a thumbs up on the basis of;
Stopped the rot
Improved the football being played
Increase in chances created
Set pieces have improved and long throw is now a threat
Woolford being utilised where he can make an impact
Players look rejuvinated
and numerous other little tweaks i see in play

I think with a squad of his own and a full pre season he could be quite effective.

UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 66
getagrip
April 28, 2018, 6:22pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +12
Best team won, county were poor, Summerfield mom utm  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 66
ginnywings
April 28, 2018, 6:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
It was noticeable today the we played further up the pitch and didn't drop too deep like struggling sides usually do when under pressure. Collins was dragging them up to near the half way line. It would have been easy to go out today and play deep, hoping to knick a goal and hang on. We didn't do that and took the game to them right from the start. How we didn't get to a 2 or 3 goal lead is only down to not having a striker to finish things off, but that has been the case all season, and the reason we ended up in trouble. We absolutely deserved to win today and by a far more comfortable margin. I think that may be the best we have played at home in the 2 seasons we have been back in the league. What a time to do it. The confidence levels are miles above what they were and it showed in that performance. Well done to all the players and i think some of them may well have changed a lot of peoples opinions of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 66
Tangerine Chris
April 28, 2018, 6:33pm
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
Where do all us doubters who thought relegation was a certainty go to eat our piece of humble pie?

Fantastic effort from everyone today

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 66
mariner91
April 28, 2018, 6:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,644
Gold Stars: 261
What a great performance. Bossed them from start to finish. Hooper, Clarke, Summerfield all superb. Macca at fault for their goal but that save ten minutes before it was out of this world. When the winner went in I almost cried such was the relief. The atmosphere was cracking, loud and proud throughout much of the game.

But all the credit has to go to Michael Jolley. How he has managed to get a team that was in complete freefall, with no goalscoring strikers and lacking in pace and confidence to completely outplay a team that are safely in the play offs is a minor miracle. He's done the absolute best possible with the limited resources and time available and I seriously think he could be the business for Town. Given the right support he has the attributes to completely transform this club. I think I love him already. Where's Ipswin with his humble pie?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 66
ginnywings
April 28, 2018, 6:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
Where do all us doubters who thought relegation was a certainty go to eat our piece of humble pie?

The pubs and bars of GY and Clee in my case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 66
Abdul19
April 28, 2018, 6:38pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,558
Gold Stars: 216
In 6 weeks Jolley has turned dross into a football team. Players who I wouldn't previously have trusted to water my plants have put in massive performances. Well done that man!

Summerfield mom, but can't fault anyone today. County were dreadful.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 66
newarkmariner
April 28, 2018, 6:43pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
just back to Newark and wow I cant stop smiling,every player gave 100% ,gonna be fun in my pub later after getting pelters from county fans all week ,cant wait, can now look forward to my holibobs with true hope and belief that MJ will take us forward in leaps and bounds,UTM GTID
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 66
Spidey
April 28, 2018, 6:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +378
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from barralad
I cannot remember who it was who sang "Save the best till last" but I reckon Michael Jolley wrote it.
Best performance of the season by a country mile. Despite its importance to both teams it was clear from the first minute that Town wanted it more than County. Summerfield was fantastic. BOTH central defenders did as well as they did in Nottingham in December. Woolford is a totally different player in that position and I do not have the words for Hooper other than to say he was a complete revealation today. As against Swindon Davis came on and used his experience for the cause.
In our little corner of the Pontoon we all felt Town lost a bit of impetus going forward when Cardwell went off and Matt came on. Proof if it were needed that your average fan knows next to feck all! Magnificent header..what scenes! The last time Macca sprinted the best part of 100 yards to join in the celebrations was at that little game at Wembley just short of 2 years ago.
A word (again) for Macca. I cannot wait to see that save on the highlights tonight. Simply magnifique.
For me the difference in outlook between now and a mere two months ago was summed up by two Town defenders busting a gut to get back and clear a goal bound shot off the line.

Vanessa Williams, enjoy!!!
https://youtu.be/5EdmHSTwmWY
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 66
bobbyturtle
April 28, 2018, 6:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
Proper team performance today. Whole team motm. Utm

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 66
golfer
April 28, 2018, 6:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
We have called referees all season but today OUR FRIEND gave the best performance by a referee for a long time-I couldn't fault him and in a match which could easily have boiled over he kept complete control.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 66
jock dock tower
April 28, 2018, 6:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Be interesting to see who stays and who goes next season. I honestly do not expect wholesale changes amongst the contracted players as they have done the business for him and the club once Slade disappeared over the sunset. The players and manager will hopefully have bonded strongly during that time and I can see a few tweaks here and there - up front obviously where a proven goalscorer is needed - but don't be surprised to see loyalty being repaid.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 66
GrimRob
April 28, 2018, 7:05pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
One of the most entertaining games at BP  for a long time. More drama than all the Slade games added together. I am actually starting to like Hooper. McKeown showed his good and bad sides. The problem remains in front of goal but the rest of the team is a much better unit. May the unbeaten run continue.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 66
Mrs Doyle
April 28, 2018, 7:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
We thoroughly deserved that some epic performances M.J has given Woolford and Hooper have more confidence. one breathtaking run from Hooper skinned his man and went directly into the box full pelt just lacking a clinical finish.

Woolford looks totally at home playing in midfield playing people in with clever little passes.

Still don't know how Macca clawed that ball out. Clarke for his goal and goal-line clearance.

Clifton put a real shift in and almost scored a peach with a curling shot that hit the woodwork.

Collins and Summerfield immense. Rose winning balls and spreading the ball out Hall Johnson looked brilliant until he had to go off injured.

Was totally peed off when they scrambled in the undeserved equalizer near the end but that brilliant header by Jamie Matt in the last seconds really brought the house down what a barnstorming finish. I'm physically and emotionally drained and I was only watching.

M.J'S Hair got seriously rearranged as he got mobbed by thousands of grateful Town fans lol.

P.S.  County were utter shite to be honest, No wonder manager Nolan was seething and tried every trick in the book to sway the ref who took no notice and had an excellent game. Their fans were reletivaly quite despite their numbers which showed how dominent we  were.

7,100 crowd got great entertainment all three home stands in fine voice B.P.was really rocking at the end.

M.J. record UNBEATEN AT HOME FORTRESS BLUNDELL PARK AGAIN ..................................................FINALLY.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 66
KingstonMariner
April 28, 2018, 7:20pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jock dock tower

Or give him droit de seigneur  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 66
essexexile
April 28, 2018, 7:28pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: +186
Que?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 66
cmackenzie4
April 28, 2018, 7:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Summerfield was my man of the match today although it could have gone to 3 or 4 players, MJ has changed this team into a team of battlers and he deserves massive credit for that, today was a great performance and the best I’ve seen us play all season,

There is no way County deserved to draw that game, Town fully deserved the win, when that goal went it by Matt my daughter,Son and me went absolutely ballistic, I’ve actually lost my voice  

A special thank you to Michael Jolley for giving this team belief and a fighting spirit.👍

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 66
KingstonMariner
April 28, 2018, 7:46pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from essexexile
Que?

The Lord of the Manor supposedly had rights to tup any of the local women

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 66
davmariner
April 28, 2018, 7:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 79
Credit to the players. They all put their bodies on the line and thankfully saw us home when it mattered.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 66
scott_gtfc_89
April 28, 2018, 7:50pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +398
Is MJ’S interview available from after the match?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 66
wigworld
April 28, 2018, 8:10pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
[url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p065m6d2[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 66
cmackenzie4
April 28, 2018, 8:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Spot on interview that, thanks for posting.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 66
AussieMariner
April 28, 2018, 8:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from moosey_club
Yay!!

Totally bossed first half up until 35-40 mins or so when we started to panic and cause ourselves problem....the goal neatly tucked away by a centre halfl, Cliftons great strike off the post, Cardwell and Clifton link up for Cardwells chance and Woolfords effort scrambled off the line....the midfield three of Summerfield , Rose and Woolford were superb ad the whole team pressing high up completely dominated county.

Really good to see the midfield confidently showing for the ball off the back four even when under pressure, RHJ, Clifton & Summerfield building triangles on the right...towels for the ball boys for Rose's throw...some neat play and confidence on the ball at last. Credit all of that to MJ.

Second half we sat a bit deeper but still played well, Hooper coming more to the fore when he drifted out wide...again great chances for Cardwell and Rose after good work from Hooper and as county pushed up we looked quite dangerous on the break.

Luck/great defending/great saves just about kept us in it and just as i thought we were gonna grab a squeaky 1-0 Macca went walkabout...hard to tell from the Ponny what the hell was going on but the net rippled...hearts sank.

But...and credit to Jolley again for instilling this the players didnt give up....still ran, still battled and we got the corner....and fluff me, Matt ghosting in to head home, amazing finish to game/ season.  

When Jolley was appointed i sat on the fence, said i would give the remainder of the season to him before i passed judgement. Well one game early but i think i will give him a thumbs up on the basis of;
Stopped the rot
Improved the football being played
Increase in chances created
Set pieces have improved and long throw is now a threat
Woolford being utilised where he can make an impact
Players look rejuvinated
and numerous other little tweaks i see in play

I think with a squad of his own and a full pre season he could be quite effective.

UTM

He had Osborne warmed up and about to come on when they equalised. He immediately ripped the card out of the 4th official’s hand and brought on Jackson instead.
Decisive, positive, successful,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 66
essexexile
April 28, 2018, 8:29pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: +186
Listened to to it on MP & you could hear the crowd over MD's commentary & thought they were a real12th man today. Congrats to MJ he's given the team belief & from bottom of the league were playing promotion football.
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 66
RonMariner
April 28, 2018, 8:59pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,676
So if Coventry beat Morecambe and Barnet........no wait, I don't have to give a excrement anymore!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 66
RonMariner
April 28, 2018, 9:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Fantastic performance today. We thought we had a squad of no hopers but today they totally outperformed a play off side in all areas of the pitch. Hooper was a revelation on the wing. I am happy is contracted for next season. There was not a bad performance from any town player.

Most important of all was the fighting spirit. They really wanted it, and yet again they kept going to the last when a lesser team would have given up.

We have scored crucial late goals at home against Port Vale, Chesterfield, Barnet and now Notts County.

How has Jolley turned these players round?

Fantastic. Give him a four year contract now!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 66
Grimbiggs
April 28, 2018, 9:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Quoted from Tangerine Chris

Great effort from the players today, but i suggest you get a grip on reality, we were a couple of minutes away from taking it to the final game....pleased for Jolley that he's been able to galvanise such a poor squad, but we've been abysmal for most of the season, and Fenty most take note....this should never be allowed to happen again!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 66
Cambs Mariner
April 28, 2018, 9:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +1,233
Quoted from Grimbiggs

Great effort from the players today, but i suggest you get a grip on reality, we were a couple of minutes away from taking it to the final game....pleased for Jolley that he's been able to galvanise such a poor squad, but we've been abysmal for most of the season, and Fenty most take note....this should never be allowed to happen again!

Fenty should never be allowed to run this club again.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 66
AussieMariner
April 28, 2018, 9:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Grimbiggs

Get a grip on reality you say. Well the reality is that we’ve avoided relegation by getting 10 points from 4 games in the second half of Jolley’s tenure. Skin of the teeth - 3 penalties, goals from set plays, desperate goal mouth scrambles - lucky if you like. But those 10 points were an absolute pipe dream before Jolley arrived and the reality is that they are a result of a combination of hard work, talent and a positive approach. So take your grip on reality, shove it squarely up your backside, use it as a jug handle, and let the rest of us enjoy the moment. And yes, I have had a few....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 66
Mrbump53
April 28, 2018, 10:51pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +335
Gold Stars: 11
The GTFC emotional rollercoaster was in full on mode today. We had the exhilaration of being ahead, not giving a fig about the Barnet result. Then we had the staring into the relegation abyss and oblivion and thinking it was going to the last game against FGR. Then came the ecstatic joy of the 93rd minute and a further “two” minutes of added time before the final whistle. At least I know I I don’t have a heart problem as my heart rate was up and down throughput the game. I go to the last match with only the objective of finishing above FGR! UTM !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 66
Maringer
April 28, 2018, 11:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Listening to the post-match interview, I think you have to question Jolley's ambition - he says we'll finish third or fourth from the bottom, but we're current sitting in 18th in the table!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 66
HertsGTFC
April 28, 2018, 11:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
The best and arguably the most creative footballing side won today and deservedly so.........

What I liked today was that Town destroyed my biggest fear from the off in that I was worried that we would get sucked into a head tennis battle versus a tall physical side, not a bit of it as Summers, Rose, Clifton and Woolly tried  to get the ball down and play it at every opportunity which led to a first half where 1 - 0 at the break was understating how good we played.

Yeah in the second half they came back at us and forced another excellent save from Macca as well a  couple of goal line clearances and what in the end was a goal conceded from our own impetuosity rather than their excellence.  

So into injury time........... and everything MJ has brought to this side in a short space of time came good, improved mental strength, calmness, drive, will to win and "backing yourself" all of which resulted in a goal that sent the whole of BP barmy.

Every Town player put their hearts on the line today and worked super hard, if you'd just landed from Mars and gone to the game which side would you have thought was pushing for automatic?

On refection on the drive home 2 things stood out from today,

1. Among others Collins, Clarke, JJ, Rose and Woolford have looked much better in the last few games since MJ settled in. Some of the above are unrecognizable, the MJ factor.

2. Maybe just maybe when the midfield tried to get the ball down at every opportunity as they did today we have seen the kind of football that MJ wants to play?

Anyway "we're staying up under Michael Jolley" and that's all that matters now.

UTM

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 66
heppy88
April 28, 2018, 11:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
That was brilliant. I enjoyed that as much as the Wembley final. It’s not so much the fact we have survived, what for the last few months looked like a free fall into oblivion. For me it was the passion and the performance. At times the football was sublime and the players played out of their skin. Summerfield was MOM and Hooper was a revelation. As others have said what Jolley has achieved, in such a short period of time, has been a minor miracle. So proud to be a Mariner this evening.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 66
RonMariner
April 29, 2018, 12:41am

Special Brew Drinker
When you think of the stick dished to Hooper, Rose, Clarke, and Woolford, justified at the time by their performances under Slade, and look at their contributions today and in recent games, it's amazing how much they have improved.

Hooper in particular looked a real threat all day, and ran rings around his marker who ended up being subbed, thus robbing Notts of one of their options to bring on another forward or midfield player later. I am really pleased that he is under contract for next season.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 66
KingstonMariner
April 29, 2018, 1:11am
Meths Drinker
That's the difference a good manager makes.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 66
AndyGTFC
April 29, 2018, 1:57am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Didn't get a chance to go bur well done Michael Jolley. We've had to do it ourselves too because Barnet haven't been doing us many favours with their run of form. Very excited to see what he can do with a bit of time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 66
ginnywings
April 29, 2018, 3:24am

Recovering Alcoholic
I'm drunk, very very drunk. It's after 3 in the morning and i've just opened another bottle when i should be in bed. My brother spoke to some Notts fans in the pub ( they had gone by the time i got there) and they were very complimentary. Said they don't know why we were so low as we looked like one of the best sides they had faced all season, and they were expecting a much easier game. One said the save from Macca was the best they had seen all season, and they were genuinely chuffed for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 66
RonMariner
April 29, 2018, 8:56am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm drunk, very very drunk. It's after 3 in the morning and i've just opened another bottle when i should be in bed. My brother spoke to some Notts fans in the pub ( they had gone by the time i got there) and they were very complimentary. Said they don't know why we were so low as we looked like one of the best sides they had faced all season, and they were expecting a much easier game. One said the save from Macca was the best they had seen all season, and they were genuinely chuffed for us.

We met a couple of Notts fans on the buss on the way to the ground and had a great chat with them. Decent, honest fans, supporting a real football club. Kindred spirits.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 66
toontown
April 29, 2018, 9:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Wow! What a performance by the whole team, what a game, what a save from Macca, what a comeback, what a manager. Just wow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 66
barrattstandman
April 29, 2018, 10:11am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +477
Gold Stars: 17
I don’t know people are moaning about this season or any other that we have experienced. They are never dull , either pushing for promotion or trying to avoid relegation. We are never mid table mediocrity. Would you like to be a Gainsborough Trinity fan , 145 years in the same division until relegation this season ? Now that is what I call boring. Roll on next season for another ride of adventure .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 66
Les Brechin
April 29, 2018, 11:00am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from barrattstandman
I don’t know people are moaning about this season or any other that we have experienced. They are never dull , either pushing for promotion or trying to avoid relegation. We are never mid table mediocrity. Would you like to be a Gainsborough Trinity fan , 145 years in the same division until relegation this season ? Now that is what I call boring. Roll on next season for another ride of adventure .

Pedant alert. That's not quite correct. There were in the Football League until the 1910's but they failed to be re-elected one season after finishing bottom.

Apparently not being re-elected doesn't count as a relegation!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 66
Madeleymariner
April 29, 2018, 1:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,051
Gold Stars: 49
Great weekend, great game, great result, an absolute rollercoaster of a game, under Jolly I think the futures bright its Black and White (as long as he doesn't take too much notice of Wilko when discussing who gets a new deal)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 66
Garth
April 29, 2018, 2:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Yesterdays winner (because of its significance) ranks along with Wilco Everton, Jevon`s Liverpool, Kalala`s Spurs, Burnett`s Wembley, Amond`s penalty Braintree and Arnolds Wembley
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 66
KingstonMariner
April 29, 2018, 2:40pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

It would be too neat and tidy for that to have been in the Notts I suppose.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 66
TownSNAFU5
April 29, 2018, 2:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,875
Gold Stars: 42
What a great performance and result.  The whole team played well and were determined to get over the line. Great celebrations and relief at the end.  

Fitting that the 2 main POTY contenders still stood out. Macca with that wonder save and his run up the pitch after the winning goal. Made up for going walkabout for their goal.  Summerfield was everywhere. He ran from midfield once to stop one attack, then sprinted back to midfield to help create something.  He had the knack of beating County players by good timing.  Just gliding effortlessly pass them. He was encouraging the other players all game.

Jolley will know now about the true passion of the fans. Who ever thought that we would play so well and survive during the Slade era?  We survived with the 2nd worst goal difference and the fewest number of home goals of any team.  Not surprising gates were down this season.

Thank you Mr Jolley and the players who were not as bad as Slade made them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 66
ginnywings
April 29, 2018, 3:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It would be too neat and tidy for that to have been in the Notts I suppose.  

The No2. They were waiting for their train. I got kicked out of there at 2.30 a.m.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 66
KingstonMariner
April 29, 2018, 3:43pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

The No2. They were waiting for their train. I got kicked out of there at 2.30 a.m.  

That's not bad going. 2:30. I'd have fallen asleep by then.

Do they have a late licence or was it a lock-in? Would be preferable to the Barca for a late drink in Meggies.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 66
promotion plaice
April 29, 2018, 3:49pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

The relief of safety is immense, we all know how tough the National League is to get out of and the loss of revenue (BP away attendances) even with the parachute payments would have been very damaging.

I've fallen in love with football again  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 66
ginnywings
April 29, 2018, 4:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from KingstonMariner

That's not bad going. 2:30. I'd have fallen asleep by then.

Do they have a late licence or was it a lock-in? Would be preferable to the Barca for a late drink in Meggies.

They officially serve until 12.30 on Friday and Saturday, but we were in there until well after 2 o'clock "drinking up". We went in Spoons first but they were serving in plastic glasses and had run out of my favourite Brewdog beer, so we left for the No2.

The Barcy has new owners and never seems to have anyone in nowadays. The other pubs in the high street were still rammed when we walked past to get a taxi, so you can drink nearly all night if you want to. There are no late licenses any more are there?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 66
promotion plaice
April 29, 2018, 4:20pm

Quoted from ginnywings

They officially serve until 12.30 on Friday and Saturday, but we were in there until well after 2 o'clock "drinking up". We went in Spoons first but they were serving in plastic glasses and had run out of my favourite Brewdog beer, so we left for the No2.

The Barcy has new owners and never seems to have anyone in nowadays. The other pubs in the high street were still rammed when we walked past to get a taxi, so you can drink nearly all night if you want to. There are no late licenses any more are there?

I used to be a regular at the weekend in the Swashy playing pool but always left when they put a board over the pool table and it became a meat market.......got a taxi to the Crows Nest  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 66
mimma
April 29, 2018, 4:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,572
Gold Stars: 78
Ah... The Crows Nest.

Samuel Smith's bitter.

Gorgeous
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 66
promotion plaice
April 29, 2018, 4:28pm

Quoted from mimma
Ah... The Crows Nest.

Samuel Smith's bitter.

Gorgeous

Cheap beer because of no entertainments licence.....god it was boring  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 66
KingstonMariner
April 29, 2018, 4:36pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from mimma
Ah... The Crows Nest.

Samuel Smith's bitter.

Gorgeous

Last time I had a pint in there (Feb) it wasn't very good. First less than top quality pint I've had in there to be fair (in nearly 40 years). Mind you it might have been the new inferior deterioration interior design messing with my perception  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 66
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.