6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
TheGoalKipper
April 13, 2018, 11:31am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from ska face
The decision by Tracey Crouch beggars belief considering she refused a safe standing application in a football ground and just hours later went and opened a standing area in a rugby ground!

The evidence is incontrovertible - rail seating is safe, and a much safer option than what we currently have. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve gone over seats in goal celebrations. I missed Bogle’s second at Wembley as I was helping some poor kid, no older than 7, who’d been flattened and knocked over the row in front celebrating the first goal.

Crouch claims that the way to manage persistent standing is through crowd management. She’s clearly never watched either a handful of stewards waving their arms to get thousands of paying customers to sit down, or a group of overzealous bully-boy stewards drag customers out of the ground for having the temerity to stand up.

The Tories are playing politics with the safety of football fans, again, and we deserve better. Will it take a death before she takes her head out of the sand? She’s ignored the government’s own safety experts in SGSA and even the Football Safety Officers Association has this evening condemned her actions.

It’s not about forcing people to stand if they don’t want to - it’s about offering the choice for people who do.

I’d urge everyone to sign the petition - over 30k people have signed it today alone, but there have been only 37 signatures from Grimsby and 38 from Cleethorpes.

https://t.co/EhLb9cS8Os

Why dont they set up an online petition to the House of Commons as has been done for other campaigns which trigger off a discussion on the matter when it exceeds a specific Gov. Target - i can't remember what it is. Theres enough football fans who would sign it if they were shown the facts as they can relate to their own experience

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 57
TheRealJohnLewis
April 13, 2018, 11:33am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from TheGoalKipper

Why dont they set up an online petition to the House of Commons as has been done for other campaigns which trigger off a discussion on the matter when it exceeds a specific Gov. Target - i can't remember what it is. Theres enough football fans who would sign it if they were shown the facts as they can relate to their own experience

Like the link on SkaFace's post to a petition?

Private Message
Reply: 21 - 57
ska face
April 13, 2018, 12:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from GrimRob
I'm hate standing areas for the pure reason that I am not very tall! All-seater was the best thing that ever happened for me, guaranteed to see all four corner flags and the two goals, a rare luxury. It's annoying when people stand in all-seater areas, I am not sure whether this would help or make it worse.

How would having designated areas for people who want to persistently stand, and people who choose exclusively to sit, make the current situation worse?

It would make crowd management easier for a start.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 57
GrimRob
April 13, 2018, 12:53pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ska face

How would having designated areas for people who want to persistently stand, and people who choose exclusively to sit, make the current situation worse?

It would make crowd management easier for a start.

I don't think it would make it any easier. Stewards would turn a blind eye to people standing, it's simply not worth their while to do anything about it. At the moment there is a grudging acceptance of those who stand because there are no standing areas. I think the proposed change would increase the anger of those who legitimately feel they shouldn't have to stand if they have a seat and might lead to more arguments and unrest amongst groups of supporters. Of course, if the stewards rigorously enforced sitting and nobody argued with them it would work, but that's never going to happen.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 57
WetFlannel
April 13, 2018, 1:42pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Ipswin
I favour a (safe) standing area for those who wish to stand just as long as those in the seating areas stay seated!

I am sick and tired of those in front of me standing every time Town advance on the opponents goal. I have lost count of how many (of the few) games I get to being ruined in this way.

The final at Wembley v Wrexham where we were near the back was totally spoiled by those in front constantly standing.

Thank goodness I manage to get a seat right at the front at Cambridge for example.

I know we have been pretty crap in recent years but do people have to jump up every time we get the flipping ball?

Similarly, there’s nothing worse than people who want to sit going into an area where people want to stand and complaining. There’s always some sharp object in the parts of the pontoon that try to stand and create an atmosphere moaning that he wants to sit. That’s completely understandable, there’s two other stands (and the other side of the pontoon) filled with like minded inviduals. I don’t go into the main stand and complain people want to sit and eat werthers originals. There’s room for both.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 57
Mrs Doyle
April 13, 2018, 1:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
That example they put in Blundell a few while ago I tried it seemed robust and the seat was locked in the closed position enabling you to stand in front of it.The only problem I could see was the horrendous cost the guy told me it does not come cheep. No way will the board sanction this for an aged Blundell Park and, to be honest I wouldn't either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 57
ska face
April 13, 2018, 2:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
That example they put in Blundell a few while ago I tried it seemed robust and the seat was locked in the closed position enabling you to stand in front of it.The only problem I could see was the horrendous cost the guy told me it does not come cheep. No way will the board sanction this for an aged Blundell Park and, to be honest I wouldn't either.

The current law prevents the club from introducing safe standing, even in a brand new purpose built stadium. So we could be in a position where a safe-standing area could be installed and the cost factored in as part of a new development, but we’d be prevented because we happened to be in the Championship when the decision was made, nearly 30 years ago.

The law is unfit, out of date, not based on evidence and has demonstrably been used as a form of social cleansing, removing certain sections of society (i.e. the young, those on low wages)  from football grounds.

All we are asking for is a decision based on evidence, allowing CHOICE for customers.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 57
Gaffer58
April 13, 2018, 3:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
I know it's football so usually there's not a lot of brain power used, by both the authorities and fans but, how many people when there at the cinema and have paid for a seat stand, nobody as it's just not done.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 57
Mrs Doyle
April 13, 2018, 3:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Point taken Ska it has my backing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 57
Ipswin
April 13, 2018, 3:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from WetFlannel

Similarly, there’s nothing worse than people who want to sit going into an area where people want to stand and complaining. There’s always some sharp object in the parts of the pontoon that try to stand and create an atmosphere moaning that he wants to sit. That’s completely understandable, there’s two other stands (and the other side of the pontoon) filled with like minded inviduals. I don’t go into the main stand and complain people want to sit and eat werthers originals. There’s room for both.

I don't have a problem with this at all but when the 'standers' decide to become 'sitters' and then, when we get the ball, want to become' standers' again it felicitations up the genuine 'sitters'. One or the other, stand all match or sit and everyone's happy in reality tho' even if there are standing areas (with seats locked in the up position) there will still be too many who start off sitting but keep leaping up every couple of minutes

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Safe Standing

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.