6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Vance Warner
April 12, 2018, 9:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Not sure if this has been mentioned but the Tories have rejected West Brom's proposal for a safe standing area. The proposal was made to try and improve safety in the ground after the usual concerns about supporters standing in seats. The charade of supporters standing in seating areas has gone on long enough IMO. It's time we were able to choose whether to stand or not. Can't help thinking there is a political motive behind it to continue the gentrification of football. There's more information in the link and a petition below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43704338

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/207040
Logged Offline
Private Message
Skrill
April 12, 2018, 9:36pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Why can't football clubs decide on issues such as this themselves? It is THEIR ground. The government gets itself involved in everything and it is sickening.

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 57
ginnywings
April 12, 2018, 10:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Works abroad and works in Scotland, but obviously too risky for the English. Stupid decision by people who know naff all about football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 57
promotion plaice
April 12, 2018, 10:10pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,955
Gold Stars: 189

Safe standing is not for me at my age but if there's an area dedicated to it.......I can't see an argument against it if it's safe ?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 57
horsforthmariner
April 12, 2018, 10:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,575
Gold Stars: 8
Standing was axed after the Taylor report as an understandable fix to a problem - the risk of crushing at a old depalidated grounds. The reality is in the nearly 30 years since Hillsborough the understanding of the science behind crowd behavior has been radically transformed and we now know how to operate a safe system of standing.

The tory response makes no sense (and runs counter to them cutting red tape which they bang on ad nauseum about ). I've been in safe standing areas and frankly its much safer than pretty much every music gig ive ever been too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 57
ska face
April 12, 2018, 11:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,361
Gold Stars: 824
The decision by Tracey Crouch beggars belief considering she refused a safe standing application in a football ground and just hours later went and opened a standing area in a rugby ground!

The evidence is incontrovertible - rail seating is safe, and a much safer option than what we currently have. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve gone over seats in goal celebrations. I missed Bogle’s second at Wembley as I was helping some poor kid, no older than 7, who’d been flattened and knocked over the row in front celebrating the first goal.

Crouch claims that the way to manage persistent standing is through crowd management. She’s clearly never watched either a handful of stewards waving their arms to get thousands of paying customers to sit down, or a group of overzealous bully-boy stewards drag customers out of the ground for having the temerity to stand up.

The Tories are playing politics with the safety of football fans, again, and we deserve better. Will it take a death before she takes her head out of the sand? She’s ignored the government’s own safety experts in SGSA and even the Football Safety Officers Association has this evening condemned her actions.

It’s not about forcing people to stand if they don’t want to - it’s about offering the choice for people who do.

I’d urge everyone to sign the petition - over 30k people have signed it today alone, but there have been only 37 signatures from Grimsby and 38 from Cleethorpes.

https://t.co/EhLb9cS8Os
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 57
ginnywings
April 12, 2018, 11:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Signed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 57
Davec
April 13, 2018, 6:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Just watched the video on the BBC page Vance Warner posted

Who's going to go round locking and unlocking every single seat? It's going to be a very time consuming job, unless you can do it row by row, but even then it would be time consuming, I have a feeling that clubs will tend to leave the seats locked in the "sitting" position all the time rather than changing it depending on the game in question as lifting the seats to the "standing" position will take a lot of time.

I do support the idea, but the thought of somebody going round with a key locking and unlocking every seat does make me unsure and I think clubs will find that very time consuming and it would be far easier to leave the seats in the "sitting" positions all the time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 57
pizzzza
April 13, 2018, 7:15am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,660
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from Davec

I do support the idea, but the thought of somebody going round with a key locking and unlocking every seat does make me unsure and I think clubs will find that very time consuming and it would be far easier to leave the seats in the "sitting" positions all the time.

I don't see why that would be necessary unless a club is playing in Europe (unless I'm missing something...). The top German teams have the standing position in domestic games and then change to sitting for European games because rules dictate that. Surely an English team who is not in Europe take a decision to have rail seating in an area for a season, set in the standing position and not need to change it all season?
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 57
Davec
April 13, 2018, 7:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from pizzzza

I don't see why that would be necessary unless a club is playing in Europe (unless I'm missing something...). The top German teams have the standing position in domestic games and then change to sitting for European games because rules dictate that. Surely an English team who is not in Europe take a decision to have rail seating in an area for a season, set in the standing position and not need to change it all season?

You never know what the police and other authorities are like, the FA could make up some ridiculous rule.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 57
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.