Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolly is out of his depth.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 223 Guests

Jolly is out of his depth.

This thread currently has 13,154 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Davec
April 3, 2018, 6:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
I'm not anti Jolley but just an observation

Slade got slaughtered by some for have all 11 men back at corners, Jolley is doing the same but nothing is being said about it...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 66
dapperz fun pub
April 3, 2018, 7:23am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Davec
I'm not anti Jolley but just an observation

Slade got slaughtered by some for have all 11 men back at corners, Jolley is doing the same but nothing is being said about it...

A lot of mangers are doing this statisticaly apparently less chance of conceding
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 66
Davec
April 3, 2018, 7:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

A lot of mangers are doing this statisticaly apparently less chance of conceding

Doesn't work for us šŸ˜‰
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 66
April 3, 2018, 7:42am
Guest User
Massive improvement under Michael Jolley. He has my full support for what it's worth and he should be retained irrespective of what division we are in next season. Although I will not be attending if that tyrant remains at the club.
Reply: 43 - 66
Vance Warner
April 3, 2018, 8:03am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,793
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from davmariner

Only today he cost us a least a point by giving away a free kick (even though the the ball had gone out for our throw) which led to their equaliser.

Classic case of a GY scapegoat. Lots of people to blame for conceding from a set piece not just the person who gives the free kick away. Don't get me wrong he's a very limited footballer but so our all of our squad. At least he's always fit and available for selection. No point slagging players off now anyway. Whatever happens we've only got them for another 5 games so may as well get behind them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 66
golfer
April 3, 2018, 8:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
He's always "fit" because he doesn't do anything to get unfit-he doesn't do anything
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 66
Mariner_09
April 3, 2018, 8:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Iā€™ll defend Berrett here. He is not an athlete and heā€™s not going to get 10 goals a season from midfield. Heā€™s a decent footballer, looks after the ball well, he doesnā€™t give it away very often and keeps us ticking over I feel. Heā€™s undoubtedly very limited but not nearly as bad as some make him out to be. However, Summerfield is a far better player. Heā€™s got more energy and more athleticism but that just about says it all when Summerfield has been one of our 2 outstanding players this season with McKeown.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 66
VinnyGTFC
April 3, 2018, 8:33am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from Yoda
Iā€™m sorry to say Jolly has not got clue second half again nothing.
Heā€™s made us worse than Wilko and Sludge.

Give it a rest
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 66
diehardmariner
April 3, 2018, 2:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,601
Gold Stars: 538
I think the most important thing to point out here is that Jolley is picking up the pieces after a disastrous 18-months.  We simply have not done enough in every single area of the club and our league position is reflection of such.

If/When we go do down it won't be because of Jolley, any sane person could not put that blame at his feet.

However, I've yet to see anything to suggest he is the man that will inspire us to roar back as a force.  Yes, he has had just over a month here.  Yes, he has got a shower to work with.  Yes, he's got limited time and had very little wiggle room to bring his own bodies in.  But we still seem to be repeating the same mistakes we made under Slade.  

Within this thread I've seen the names of Clarke, Hooper, Berrett, Rose, Matt, Vernon all mentioned as examples of why we're in such a bad position.  Yet Jolley persists with them, they seem to have endless chances.  We do have options, not great options but we do have options.   McAllister was our best player against Coventry by a country mile, yet he's dropped to the bench the following game for Mitch Bloody Rose, who then proceeded to keep his place for the next game.  In fact both Rose and Summerfield played 2 games in 72 hours despite having missed a fair weeks prior, it can't be a fitness issue.  Hell, it can never be a fitness issue as Rose is always blowing after five minutes!  McAllister was fit for Friday and was fit yesterday, Jolley just didn't pick him.

I don't care what's gone on before with McAllister and previous managers, I don't care if he's fallen out with Fenty, I don't care if he's taken a great big dump down Freeman Street.  He's our best midfielder and Jolley not picking him is stupid.  We're at the point where issues, egos, dramas etc. need putting to one side. We're not in a fortunate enough position where we pick a system and then pick the best team to suit that.  We've got a handful of competent players and the rest are useless.  You scratch away at 11 players who are capable and somehow hope they fit.  You don't pick the likes of Mitch Rose, Nathan Clarke, James Berrett who have let us down game after game after game.

Zac Mills, Reece Hall-Johnson, Sean McAllister, Harry Clifton, DJ, Harry Cardwell.   All lads who've not had a fair chance all season, suffering the same fate under Jolley whilst lesser players are selected ahead of them.  Mills has, in fairness, come back into the side the last few weeks.

From a coaching perspective, Rome was never going to be built in a day but I kinda hoped that we would see some improvement.  That's probably unfair as the majority of the players are awful and probably beyond coaching improvements.  But then again Jolley continues to select them.

The original poster states that Jolley has made us worse.  That's not true, I don't think we could get any worse.  But equally so I don't think he's improved us and I'm reserving judgement on him until he's at least had the chance to put his own stamp on things.  Judging him either way is unfair due to the constraints he's under.

Hindsight is great, but Jolley isn't what we needed for the short-term.   We needed a fire-fighter who may have stood a chance of giving us a slight bounce, that doesn't appear to be how Jolley approaches things at all.  I know we all want to start looking further than the end of our noses but if the short-term fails, we can forget about any long-term plans.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 66
HertsGTFC
April 3, 2018, 3:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think the most important thing to point out here is that Jolley is picking up the pieces after a disastrous 18-months.  We simply have not done enough in every single area of the club and our league position is reflection of such.

If/When we go do down it won't be because of Jolley, any sane person could not put that blame at his feet.

However, I've yet to see anything to suggest he is the man that will inspire us to roar back as a force.  Yes, he has had just over a month here.  Yes, he has got a shower to work with.  Yes, he's got limited time and had very little wiggle room to bring his own bodies in.  But we still seem to be repeating the same mistakes we made under Slade.  

Within this thread I've seen the names of Clarke, Hooper, Berrett, Rose, Matt, Vernon all mentioned as examples of why we're in such a bad position.  Yet Jolley persists with them, they seem to have endless chances.  We do have options, not great options but we do have options.   McAllister was our best player against Coventry by a country mile, yet he's dropped to the bench the following game for Mitch Bloody Rose, who then proceeded to keep his place for the next game.  In fact both Rose and Summerfield played 2 games in 72 hours despite having missed a fair weeks prior, it can't be a fitness issue.  Hell, it can never be a fitness issue as Rose is always blowing after five minutes!  McAllister was fit for Friday and was fit yesterday, Jolley just didn't pick him.

I don't care what's gone on before with McAllister and previous managers, I don't care if he's fallen out with Fenty, I don't care if he's taken a great big dump down Freeman Street.  He's our best midfielder and Jolley not picking him is stupid.  We're at the point where issues, egos, dramas etc. need putting to one side. We're not in a fortunate enough position where we pick a system and then pick the best team to suit that.  We've got a handful of competent players and the rest are useless.  You scratch away at 11 players who are capable and somehow hope they fit.  You don't pick the likes of Mitch Rose, Nathan Clarke, James Berrett who have let us down game after game after game.

Zac Mills, Reece Hall-Johnson, Sean McAllister, Harry Clifton, DJ, Harry Cardwell.   All lads who've not had a fair chance all season, suffering the same fate under Jolley whilst lesser players are selected ahead of them.  Mills has, in fairness, come back into the side the last few weeks.

From a coaching perspective, Rome was never going to be built in a day but I kinda hoped that we would see some improvement.  That's probably unfair as the majority of the players are awful and probably beyond coaching improvements.  But then again Jolley continues to select them.

The original poster states that Jolley has made us worse.  That's not true, I don't think we could get any worse.  But equally so I don't think he's improved us and I'm reserving judgement on him until he's at least had the chance to put his own stamp on things.  Judging him either way is unfair due to the constraints he's under.

Hindsight is great, but Jolley isn't what we needed for the short-term.   We needed a fire-fighter who may have stood a chance of giving us a slight bounce, that doesn't appear to be how Jolley approaches things at all.  I know we all want to start looking further than the end of our noses but if the short-term fails, we can forget about any long-term plans.

I get your frustration in fact like many others I share it. Who do you think would have realistically come to GTFC to give us ā€œbounceā€. Indeed if someone came in short term that would have meant another re-start in May and potentially leaving us chasing our tails to put a squad together in time for August. Regardless of what league we are in next year we need a big, big re-build, at least MJs in place to start when the last game ends.

Re selection they have been pretty conservative but Mills is getting a run, RHB started yesterday, Clifton has had a couple of starts and despite having some pace Harry Cardwell has failed to make an impact. I would like to have see DJ and Suliman get more game time under both MJ and Slade.

On paper McAlister should be one of our best mid fielders but as heā€™s only played a handful of games since Aug 16 is he really the answer Iā€™m not sure weā€™ve seen enough of him in a GTFC shirt to say.

Overall the squad lacks quality from top to bottom and whoever comes in is in reality only placing like with like.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s styleĀ Ā 
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolly is out of his depth.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.