Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Jolley Appointed!!!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 22 Guests

Jolley Appointed!!!

This thread currently has 20,601 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
March 2, 2018, 11:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Should have said..cleared to work with young people and keep on coaching after serving probation.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 114
KingstonMariner
March 2, 2018, 11:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Ipswin

I wouldn't worry too much about that, I don't think for a moment that the opinion of many on here had anything to do with Fenty's decision, since when did he take any notice of the fans

Perfect excuse though innit. Like it was our fault Hurst left, and not that he went 'to work with honest people'.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 114
toontown
March 2, 2018, 11:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,259
Gold Stars: 70
Pleased with this appointment, more forward looking than the usual merry-go-round manager, young, articulate and eager to make his mark on the game with plenty of coaching experience, but it is still a gamble as all managers are. Good that he is moving to the area with his family - welcome Mr (& Mrs!) Michael Jolley!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 114
Maringer
March 3, 2018, 12:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,476
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from RonMariner
Great news.  Even if he doesn't mage to keep us up, which let's face it wont be his fault, I have confidence he could build a team to bring us straight back.

Erm, if you take over a team effectively 7 points ahead of relegation with 11 matches to play but can't keep them up, I think you have to take a decent chunk of the blame. Anything other than League status next season would be a Nicky Law of a job as far as I'm concerned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 114
Tommy
March 3, 2018, 12:25am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Maringer

Erm, if you take over a team effectively 7 points ahead of relegation with 11 matches to play but can't keep them up, I think you have to take a decent chunk of the blame. Anything other than League status next season would be a Nicky Law of a job as far as I'm concerned.

Get what you're saying, but I think there's a middle ground between what you're both saying.

Nicky Law took over after Rodger had steered us to 3 wins in 6 games as caretaker.
Jolley takes over with us not having won in 14 games.

Like you say, still time for him to effect our season and keep us up, but he does inherit a team in much worse form than Law did.

Anyway, hopefully this'll be the last time anyone ever compares Jolley to Law.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 114
AndyGTFC
March 3, 2018, 2:25am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Pleased with the appointment, he's a bit of an unknown quantity but that is more exciting than usual.

He's still got a poor squad to deal with for the rest of the season so has a job on his hands but hopefully we can nick the wins to stay up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 114
Davec
March 3, 2018, 7:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Some people are looking at his stats in Sweden with only 4 wins in 18 but you have to remember he took the job in very difficult circumstances, they were by far the worst squad in that Swedish top flight and would take a miracle to do anything with it, and I am given to understand despite all this he was actually well respected in Sweden.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 114
Mariner93er
March 3, 2018, 9:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
And it's not even 7 points. If chesterfield win their game in hand it's 3 points. We lose today then they can go level on points with their games in hand.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 114
RonMariner
March 3, 2018, 10:20am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,656
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Maringer

You need to check your maths

We are 6 points ahead of Chesterfield who also have a game in hand so you could say our margin is 6 at best, 3 at worst, and we have picked a point in our last 6 games so others are catching us fast.

Also we can't expect him to wave a magic wand today having only been appointed yesterday. He has ten games.

I think he has a big task to turn this squad around, and the damage done by Slade is considerable. As I have said previously there are three massive home games, Port Vale, Barnet and Chesterfield. If he can win those I would say we are safe. I am worried that the Port Vale game may come a little soon, before he has had time to evaluate all of the players, but maybe his man management skills might be able motivate the players sufficiently to get a result.

I see this as a long term appointment, but if he saves us in the short term, all the better.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 114
Ipswin
March 3, 2018, 12:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Davec
Some people are looking at his stats in Sweden with only 4 wins in 18 but you have to remember he took the job in very difficult circumstances, they were by far the worst squad in that Swedish top flight and would take a miracle to do anything with it, and I am given to understand despite all this he was actually well respected in Sweden.

I can't imagine more difficult circumstances than the ones at BP right now, an assistant forced on him, thousands of fans baying for the owner to urine off, dreams of a new ground in tatters, a squad most of whom are either on loan or don't give a excrement (or both). I can't envisage a more difficult situation it makes Sweden where there are only two or three teams who are any good, look a doddle

He might have beaten Malmo and someone else but he still only managed 4 wins and 15 points and he failed as his club finished bottom. He didn't manage a miracle there lets hope he can conjure up one at BP - we need it. I don't want a well respected hungry young manager who got us relegated I just want one who kept us up and I worry this lad with his lack of experience might not be up to it. Thats why I would rather have had an older experienced hand

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 114
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Jolley Appointed!!!

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.