Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Classic Threads  /  
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, March 2, 2018, 6:31pm
They've actually listened!!!

Jolley Appointed as new GTFC manager!!!

Very very happy indeed!! I 😀🤗😁
Posted by: BPMariner, March 2, 2018, 6:33pm; Reply: 1
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/march/statement-gtfc-appoint-michael-jolley---message-from-the-board/
Posted by: bigbadmarinerbob, March 2, 2018, 6:35pm; Reply: 2
Jolleys black and white army
Posted by: pontoonlew, March 2, 2018, 6:35pm; Reply: 3
Well done to Town for getting a manager who looks a great choice. Nobody will be moaning about this IMO so credit where it is due.
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, March 2, 2018, 6:36pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from pontoonlew
Well done to Town for getting a manager who looks a great choice. Nobody will be moaning about this IMO so credit where it is due.

And cue Ipswin :)
Posted by: pizzzza, March 2, 2018, 6:37pm; Reply: 5
Happy with that.
Posted by: Heisenberg, March 2, 2018, 6:37pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Jolley Appointed as new GTFC manager!!!

Very very happy indeed!! I 😀🤗😁

Finger’s crossed, but exactly what evidence suggests this is our saviour? If it goes Pete Tong, let’s remember that, for once, we asked for this.

I really hope to God this works out, but make no mistake, it’s a gamble. I think he’ll be immediately underwhelmed by one important thing; the players. Using the rest of the season as an experiment is not an option, we need results NOW, or we’ll go down again. Jesus, this is make it break.

Good luck, mate. You’ve got my support, let’s get behind the lads and hope they can find that early season form.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, March 2, 2018, 6:39pm; Reply: 7
Best bit of PR by the club for a long time
The statement reads very positively

Welcome to the club
Posted by: OllieGTFC, March 2, 2018, 6:39pm; Reply: 8
Get in !! 👏 well done to the club for actually listening to us for a change maybe that feel good factor will be back !!
Posted by: Badger57, March 2, 2018, 6:40pm; Reply: 9
Good luck Michael, we all wish you well.
Posted by: Heisenberg, March 2, 2018, 6:46pm; Reply: 10
I know I’ve posted a very cautious/nervous post just a few minutes ago, but I really like that message he’s posted.

I cannot stress how important an upturn in form is for us right now. We HAVE to stay up.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), March 2, 2018, 6:48pm; Reply: 11
Delighted with this appointment. All hostilities finished for now, let's all get behind Michael and the club for the rest of the season. Very positive news, well done GTFC board and let's start tomorrow.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, March 2, 2018, 6:49pm; Reply: 12
The popular choice. Hopefully he can turn it round. Tough job
Posted by: Mariner93er, March 2, 2018, 6:49pm; Reply: 13
This has suddenly revived my excitement for the club. A positive move.
Posted by: Chrisblor, March 2, 2018, 6:50pm; Reply: 14
Great appointment, great statement, great PR (at last!). Well done to Fenty and the board for all they've done here. Let's hope this marks a turning point for the entire club and we can get back to building on the strength of feeling we had after the playoff final win.
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), March 2, 2018, 6:54pm; Reply: 15
at last  :) :) :)(welcomeani)
Posted by: FishFan101, March 2, 2018, 6:56pm; Reply: 16
Echo the thoughts in congratulating the board on the appointment!
Posted by: Teesknees, March 2, 2018, 6:56pm; Reply: 17
I'm mentally erect with excitement!
Posted by: bawarmy, March 2, 2018, 6:58pm; Reply: 18
Very pleased. Let’s do this!
Posted by: Running like emson, March 2, 2018, 7:00pm; Reply: 19
It's great to see the Fishy in a positive mood, a good end to a long week
Posted by: Grimsby2012, March 2, 2018, 7:02pm; Reply: 20
So happy with this appointment. I'm normally very reserved with manager appointments, but this one gives me optimisim and I feel really excited to what he can bring
Posted by: GrimRob, March 2, 2018, 7:05pm; Reply: 21
Happy that GTFC have made the right choice and decided to take the Michael route
Posted by: Gaffer58, March 2, 2018, 7:09pm; Reply: 22
So, is he in charge/picking the team tomorrow or sat in the directors box with Wilco still doing Slade's thing?
Posted by: ginnywings, March 2, 2018, 7:09pm; Reply: 23
Renewed my faith a bit. The board have obviously been listening, and i don't just mean with this appointment. Addressed a few concerns in that statement. Just want to believe in the club again and this has gone some way toward that.
Posted by: Grumps, March 2, 2018, 7:09pm; Reply: 24
Good positive appointment. Well done to the board.
Posted by: Pontooner, March 2, 2018, 7:12pm; Reply: 25
He's got a huge challenge in getting the required points to keep us up.

Good luck to him and all associated with GTFC, the next few weeks are going to be critical. UTM.
Posted by: BS baffles brains, March 2, 2018, 7:15pm; Reply: 26
Financial reality was beginning to galvanise minds,  currently with the fear of the drop, the commercial department can't sell anything,  next seasons budget was going down the drain
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 2, 2018, 7:19pm; Reply: 27
I wish him the best of luck, he talks the talk very well.

We need results, we need points .......... now please.
Posted by: supertown, March 2, 2018, 7:23pm; Reply: 28
JF should Keep a screenshot of all the positive comments in case it goes mammaries up on him.

Great appointment, I’m happy
Posted by: RoboCod, March 2, 2018, 7:23pm; Reply: 29
"Michael has a track record of playing an exciting, high-pressing, attacking style of football. Michael will create a tactically astute, cohesive group with a focus on an ethos of youth development at the heart of his philosophy."

My heart is all a flutter. Please, please let this one work out.
Posted by: lukeo, March 2, 2018, 7:25pm; Reply: 30
I hope he sticks to his guns and runs the team and tactics the way he wants to.. By the look of it he'll be taking charge as of Monday with Wilko sorting the team tomorrow?
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 2, 2018, 7:26pm; Reply: 31
Well done to the board for picking the fans favourite,

Lets all get behind Jolley and have some fun. :)
Posted by: Ipswin, March 2, 2018, 7:30pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt

And cue Ipswin :)

I did not want this man, he would not have been my choice. I do not understand the support for him that has surfaced on here. What it is about him to get so many excited I do not know, he does not have the experience we need to get out of the rut we are in and turn things around into a side actually challenging rather than just mid table / survival (if we survive this season that is)

The good things are I suppose that Fenty can blame the fans (surely the stupid twit wasn't swayed by the Jolley brigade on here) and Jolley himself can blame Slade and thus get a stay of execution if we fail to stay up and presumably if he loses the next two the argument will be that Wilko would not have done any better and what do we expect as he's only just arrived

I hope to be proved wrong, I can hear all the 'give him a chance' brigade but we don't have time for that, we need instant results and a totally new man fresh from relegation in Sweden who talks a good video and who does not know the players is going to struggle.

Posted by: earwigo, March 2, 2018, 7:31pm; Reply: 33
Great news. Count me in for the port vale game.
Posted by: jimgtfc, March 2, 2018, 7:31pm; Reply: 34
Excellent news! Really hope he can deliver his philosophy here.

Now for gods sake let’s get behind this club and start something positive!
Posted by: Jackie Lewis, March 2, 2018, 7:32pm; Reply: 35
Very good appointment and hope he has the funds to build a decent squad for next season ( Div 2 hopefully). Hope he brings Max Wright back in too even he's just a squad player
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 2, 2018, 7:35pm; Reply: 36
An exciting and interesting choice.  Well done to the Board.

Pleased that he is moving to Grimsby.  Shows intent. (I take it the snow covered most of the town when he was interviewed).   ;)

He has the right background and varied experience to save the Club this season.  Pleased to see that he likes playing attacking football. Osborne and Mills would have helped.

A lot of new players needed for next season.

Posted by: horsforthmariner, March 2, 2018, 7:46pm; Reply: 37
The best choice - now lets go and get 14 points and stay up!
UTM!
Posted by: Bigdog, March 2, 2018, 7:48pm; Reply: 38
From the little information I could read about the candidates as a fan, he was my first choice. The whole club needs reinvigorating from top to bottom, and this is a positive start. Well chuffed tonight..
Posted by: heppy88, March 2, 2018, 7:51pm; Reply: 39
Didnt see that coming to be honest. I'm sure this appointment will help infuse a bit more positivity and bring the feel good factor back to the club. Hope the players respond to the new optimism and can get the points needed for safety. Havn't stopped smiling since I heard the news UTMM!!
Posted by: newarkmariner, March 2, 2018, 7:51pm; Reply: 40
Been a while since ive commented on here but this news is what ive been waiting for, welcome and good luck,UTM :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Posted by: ginnywings, March 2, 2018, 7:52pm; Reply: 41
Question Ipswin- what has Harsley got that this guy hasn't? I think you championed Harsley the other day if i remember.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 2, 2018, 7:53pm; Reply: 42

Welcome to GTFC  Micheal Jolley.

I wonder what contract his is on ?........( 6 month rolling )   8)
Posted by: MarinerMal, March 2, 2018, 7:53pm; Reply: 43
I'm excited by the appointment as it's a refreshing change from the normal run of the mill appointments.

However, Ipswin does raise some good points and it is indeed a gamble.

Still, you have to speculate to accumulate, as the saying goes and this does make me excited about visiting BP again and at the end of the day, that is all I wished for. It doesn't matter who they appointed, nobody is guaranteed. But at least the intrigue factor is back.
Posted by: GrimRob, March 2, 2018, 7:55pm; Reply: 44
Can't wait to see how he lines Town up

Posted by: jonnyboy82, March 2, 2018, 7:56pm; Reply: 45
Absolutely  buzzing .

Well done GTFC .
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 2, 2018, 7:58pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Ipswin

I did not want this man, he would not have been my choice. I do not understand the support for him that has surfaced on here. What it is about him to get so many excited I do not know, he does not have the experience we need to get out of the rut we are in and turn things around into a side actually challenging rather than just mid table / survival (if we survive this season that is)

The good things are I suppose that Fenty can blame the fans (surely the stupid twit wasn't swayed by the Jolley brigade on here) and Jolley himself can blame Slade and thus get a stay of execution if we fail to stay up and presumably if he loses the next two the argument will be that Wilko would not have done any better and what do we expect as he's only just arrived

I hope to be proved wrong, I can hear all the 'give him a chance' brigade but we don't have time for that, we need instant results and a totally new man fresh from relegation in Sweden who talks a good video and who does not know the players is going to struggle.

Your back on form then!

Bit in bold - fortunately/unfortunately you and I don't sign the cheques  ;)

People in general wanted "up and coming" so JF has taken note, the rest will remain to be seen.  

Posted by: sam gy, March 2, 2018, 8:02pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Ipswin

Cheer up, it might never happen
Posted by: Ipswin, March 2, 2018, 8:06pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from ginnywings
Question Ipswin- what has Harsley got that this guy hasn't? I think you championed Harsley the other day if i remember.

Grimsby lad, 500 professional appearances, (450 of them in the FL) and very similar coaching experience, (Scunts Barnsley, Birmingham etc)

Not necessarily my ideal choice but my preferred one of the two

Posted by: jonnyboy82, March 2, 2018, 8:07pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Ipswin

I remember the other day you and I quote said to me "engage brain before speaking "

Well Ipswich now I return the favour.
Posted by: Ipswin, March 2, 2018, 8:09pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from sam gy

Cheer up, it might never happen

That's what I'm worried about, he hasn't got long to turn it around, can't see he will be able to do owt Wilko couldn't - lets see...

(I suppose if we do win tomorrow it will be down to his appointment rather than giving any credit to Wilko)

Posted by: Ipswin, March 2, 2018, 8:12pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I remember the other day you and I quote said to me "engage brain before speaking "

Well Ipswich now I return the favour.

Not at all, I have thought about nothing else since his name came out of nowhere and after long reflection, I do not think he is the right man for the reasons I have stated.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 2, 2018, 8:12pm; Reply: 52
Well he talks a good game, writes a good statement (I'm not underestimating the benefits of good communication) and is moving to the area. Time will tell. Really, really hope it works out and that this is Michael Jolley's launchpad to a great first team management career.

Personally, I wouldn't class relegation this season as a failure for him should it happen, providing we're moving int he right direction.

Can't help but feel it'll be our fault if it goes wrong because it's the popular choice.

The big question is can he work with John Fenty. He's clearly a bright bloke with a mind of his own.

Anyway, all those reservations aside, good luck Michael and welcome to the land of real fish and chips!
Posted by: H19P1, March 2, 2018, 8:19pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Ipswin

Alright dark cloud 😆
Posted by: GrimRob, March 2, 2018, 8:21pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Ipswin

Not at all, I have thought about nothing else since his name came out of nowhere and after long reflection, I do not think he is the right man for the reasons I have stated.

Watch the video Swin then you might get Jolleymania too

Posted by: gaz57, March 2, 2018, 8:27pm; Reply: 55
First home game has to start with a chorus of "He's a jolly good fellow"
Posted by: GrimRob, March 2, 2018, 8:30pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from gaz57
First home game has to start with a chorus of "He's a jolly good fellow"

He's got a great name for chants and headlines. His name is also 4 syallbles which is much better for the "army" chant.
Posted by: chaos33, March 2, 2018, 8:31pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Chrisblor
Great appointment, great statement, great PR (at last!). Well done to Fenty and the board for all they've done here. Let's hope this marks a turning point for the entire club and we can get back to building on the strength of feeling we had after the playoff final win.

This. Chuffed!
Posted by: chaos33, March 2, 2018, 8:40pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Ipswin

Grimsby lad, 500 professional appearances, (450 of them in the FL) and very similar coaching experience, (Scunts Barnsley, Birmingham etc)

What does it matter where he's from?
What coaching qualifications has he got?
Posted by: ginnywings, March 2, 2018, 8:41pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Ipswin

Fair enough, all good points. I would have been happy with him myself i think, but Jolley was given the nod, so let's hope he lives up to  the billing.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, March 2, 2018, 8:45pm; Reply: 60
No complaints, time will tell if its a good appointment, cant be worse than the bald one whos name I no longer need to say. Good luck Michael (you will need it taking charge of this shower), looking forward to seeing his first game properly in charge against Port Fail.
Posted by: forza ivano, March 2, 2018, 8:47pm; Reply: 61
Ipswin does have a point.it is a risk, jolly is a completely unknown quantity with no relevant experience. So let's not think that he's going to turn us around immediately and we will be back in the championship in a few years.. He's going to need a bit of time to gets things organised in his way.the most we can hope for IMHO is to scrape enough points to keep us safe and hopefully show us 1 or 2 signs as to what we might expect in the next couple of seasons
Posted by: easypeersy, March 2, 2018, 8:50pm; Reply: 62
Well excited.
Huge lift for the players, fans and the whole club!
Let’s not panic if tomorrow’s match does not bear any fruit.
Home against Port Vale is a massive match.
8000 crowd now to show the team and board we are fully in favour of this
Let’s help save this club from the dreaded drop!
😀😀😀
Posted by: sydney, March 2, 2018, 8:51pm; Reply: 63
Ipswin Right
We need an experienced older fighter
Now is not the time to dream and build,  now is the time to get 12-15 points from 11 games sleeves rolled right up.
Can’t believe support for this unknown untried fella in what is one of the most important periods in our clubs history
Please Prove me wrong MJ
Posted by: H19P1, March 2, 2018, 8:53pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from forza ivano
Ipswin does have a point.it is a risk, jolly is a completely unknown quantity with no relevant experience. So let's not think that he's going to turn us around immediately and we will be back in the championship in a few years.. He's going to need a bit of time to gets things organised in his way.the most we can hope for IMHO is to scrape enough points to keep us safe and hopefully show us 1 or 2 signs as to what we might expect in the next couple of seasons

Correct he does have good and valid points, thinks it's more to do with how he types his thoughts and how they're read/interpreted?

Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, March 2, 2018, 8:53pm; Reply: 65
Not that it matters, but Harsley is not a 'Grimsby lad'. He's from Scunthorpe.
Posted by: Abdul19, March 2, 2018, 9:01pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from sydney
Ipswin Right
We need an experienced older fighter

Russell Slade's available
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, March 2, 2018, 9:02pm; Reply: 67
Love this appointment, he's an up and coming manager who has experience of coaching at a number of different levels, seems to know his stuff, is a well educated man and seems to favour high pressing attack football (THANK GOD!!!)
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, March 2, 2018, 9:07pm; Reply: 68
It's a good night to be a Town fan, not a feeling I've had for a long time -  Wembley 2016 to be exact!
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 2, 2018, 9:07pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Abdul19

Russell Slade's available

He'll be back after Jolley's tenure is over.......... 1 Bentley

Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 2, 2018, 9:08pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from GrimRob

Clearly a clever bloke with a half decent coaching education. Well if he can’t do the football bit maybe he can just sort out the finances instead.

Considering where we are at the moment he looks like the best option IMHO.

Posted by: Les Brechin, March 2, 2018, 9:09pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from Ipswin

Harsley's a Scunt!
Posted by: moosey_club, March 2, 2018, 9:15pm; Reply: 72
Well....having seen plenty of new appointments in my time i will reserve judgement on this one until the season has finished.

Wish him all the best because God knows we need it.

UTM
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, March 2, 2018, 9:16pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Teesknees
I'm mentally erect with excitement!

I'm physically.....

Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 2, 2018, 9:17pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from forza ivano

Agree but they are all a risk TBH.
Posted by: Marinerz93, March 2, 2018, 9:19pm; Reply: 75
Yes Jolly on the face of it was very popular amongst Town fans, however this is a board appointment and they have made a statement that they have carried out a full and proper diligence on Jolly so they must be commended for doing that. Time will tell if he staves off relegation some would have gone for a more experienced head hopefully he will have enough about him to do something good with us.

After he has had the players for a couple of weeks I am looking forward to how he sets up and how he gets us going.
Posted by: Grim74, March 2, 2018, 9:20pm; Reply: 76
Well it's seems the vast majority are pleased with this appointment including myself, I really hope he's the man and will be there for the Vale game now to give my full support. But let's not expect to much to soon this is still the shower of excrement team that couldn't care less if we get relegated (which is very likely) he's got his work cut out for sure and I for one won't condemn him if we go down.  

Just to finish does anyone else want to come forward NOW and join Ipswin and Sydney being critical of this appointment? Because here we are again with the majority agreeing with the boards decision before hindsight! so if this one goes mammaries up let's not  all not jump on the it's all Fenty's fault for a excrement appointment bandwagon eh!
Posted by: Abdul19, March 2, 2018, 9:26pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

When we get promoted to league 1 in 14 months time I look forward to Mr Marley telling onlookers that "we didn't listen to the fans, he was always our first choice anyway" ;)
Posted by: RonMariner, March 2, 2018, 9:37pm; Reply: 78
Great news.  Even if he doesn't mage to keep us up, which let's face it wont be his fault, I have confidence he could build a team to bring us straight back.
Posted by: Marinerz93, March 2, 2018, 9:38pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from Abdul19

When we get promoted to league 1 in 14 months time I look forward to Mr Marley telling onlookers that "we didn't listen to the fans, he was always our first choice anyway" ;)

They got him before the fans showed an interest you mean  ;)
Posted by: Skrill, March 2, 2018, 9:49pm; Reply: 80
Our new manager destroyed the one and only Malmo! For a league two appointment, it must be pretty decent!
Posted by: TheCodfather1966, March 2, 2018, 9:49pm; Reply: 81
Really hope this appointment works, but cannot quite understand all of the hype.  His record in Sweden  W4 D4 L10, and yet another non-playing manager, not the stuff of dreams but lets hope he can get our shower of shite moving in the right direction.  Personally I still believe we will be relying on other teams being worse than we are.  This is not a reflection of Jolleys potential, more a realisation of the squad he is inheriting.....  At least if he does screw up, he has the financial nous to invest his pay-off wisely.  Fingers crossed he has the magical formula......

UTM
Posted by: Heisenberg, March 2, 2018, 9:58pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from TheCodfather1966
Really hope this appointment works, but cannot quite understand all of the hype.  His record in Sweden  W4 D4 L10, and yet another non-playing manager, not the stuff of dreams but lets hope he can get our shower of shite moving in the right direction.  Personally I still believe we will be relying on other teams being worse than we are.  This is not a reflection of Jolleys potential, more a realisation of the squad he is inheriting.....  At least if he does screw up, he has the financial nous to invest his pay-off wisely.  Fingers crossed he has the magical formula......

UTM

Right now, NOBODY is worse than us. I think Barnet have got 7 points from the last available 12; that’s playoff form. Chesterfield have won a couple recently. Crewe and Morecambe, who are supposed to be garbage, both got great wins last weekend. And FGR will be well safe very soon. That points gap means nothing. We are in dire need of a win. If we can’t save ourselves, nobody will do it for us.
Posted by: TheCodfather1966, March 2, 2018, 10:02pm; Reply: 83
Barnet 4 points from the last 12..........  not really play off form.............. ;D
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, March 2, 2018, 10:04pm; Reply: 84
If we are going to stay in this league then our new managers main priority is to make sure we beat Port Vale, Chesterfield and Barnet. Win those games and we are safe.
Posted by: Cloudy, March 2, 2018, 10:11pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from Grim74

Just to finish does anyone else want to come forward NOW and join Ipswin and Sydney being critical of this appointment? Because here we are again with the majority agreeing with the boards decision before hindsight! so if this one goes mammaries up let's not  all not jump on the it's all Fenty's fault for a excrement appointment bandwagon eh!

I doubt any of the fans have met Jolley let alone conducted an interview and due diligence into his background and ethos?  

The board have had that benefit together with, I assume, interviewing other candidates. They make the decision and have to take responsibility for their decision.

Fans will ultimately decide in due course whether the board got it right or wrong.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, March 2, 2018, 10:12pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from Ipswin

DCIK - can I say that on The Fishy?

Posted by: RoboCod, March 2, 2018, 10:17pm; Reply: 87
Whilst searching for his football credentials it seems there is some pretty grim non-football stuff about his time in Jock land.....  

Catch up will you.
Posted by: TheCodfather1966, March 2, 2018, 10:22pm; Reply: 88
Fair point, good luck to the lad.
Posted by: TAGG, March 2, 2018, 10:27pm; Reply: 89
Tough tough job.
If he can turn this lot around for the games that are left then he will go down in history.
Good luck welcome to Blundell Park.
New beginning so let all get behind him and the boys UTM
Posted by: RoboCod, March 2, 2018, 10:38pm; Reply: 90
Fair point, good luck to the lad.

It's going to crop up, but in short the case ran its course and he was cleared. Nothing prior to this and nothing afterwards, a genuine error of judgement. And some rather dishonest accusers. He's moved on, hopefully everyone else can do the same.
Posted by: PB, March 2, 2018, 10:43pm; Reply: 91
I really want this to work for us all but I wonder what the situation is with Wilkinson. Did he want him, did he have a choice? Only a couple of days ago we all were moaning about Wilko and his Slade connection. Is it all ok now then?
Posted by: Ipswin, March 2, 2018, 10:45pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Can't help but feel it'll be our fault if it goes wrong because it's the popular choice.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, I don't think for a moment that the opinion of many on here had anything to do with Fenty's decision, since when did he take any notice of the fans

Posted by: GrimRob, March 2, 2018, 10:46pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from PB
I really want this to work for us all but I wonder what the situation is with Wilkinson. Did he want him, did he have a choice? Only a couple of days ago we all were moaning about Wilko and his Slade connection. Is it all ok now then?

He's spent 20 years getting to this point, working his way up to the professional game, is the presence of Wilko really going to stop him taking the job? Wilko is a competent No 2, but if he doesn't fit in then changes can be made.

What I like about his story is that he once worked in an office and just wanted to be a football manager. So he gave up a well-paid job and started coaching. It's a breath of fresh air from someone who drifted into management because all he's known is football (e.g. Wilko). He is the embodiment of the "hungry young man" that Fenty was looking for.
Posted by: Ipswin, March 2, 2018, 10:46pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from GrimRob

Watched it before mate and the one where he plays that funny form of draughts, talks a good game
Posted by: TheCodfather1966, March 2, 2018, 10:51pm; Reply: 95
Robo Cod.............  totally agree.  

UTM
Posted by: Ipswin, March 2, 2018, 10:54pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

DCIK - can I say that on The Fishy?

You can say any flipping thing you flipping want sunbeam, thats the point of a forum at least I thought it was but it doesn't seem to apply to anyone who disagrees with the great unwashed masses

Posted by: RoboCod, March 2, 2018, 11:01pm; Reply: 97
Robo Cod.............  totally agree.  

UTM

Cheers Codfather, just rather see this thing of the past as just that..a thing of the past. It's a suitable match, both he and the club want to build something new and successful and put things right.
It's also nice to feel a bit of excitement about the team :)
Posted by: Ipswin, March 2, 2018, 11:01pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from RoboCod

It's going to crop up, but in short the case ran its course and he was cleared. Nothing prior to this and nothing afterwards, a genuine error of judgement. And some rather dishonest accusers. He's moved on, hopefully everyone else can do the same.

He was simply very silly, nothing nasty about it and was misled but he was not cleared - he pleaded guilty and got a year's probation and a year on the sex offenders register
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, March 2, 2018, 11:10pm; Reply: 99
Awesome, awesome, awesome totally landed with the appointment. Great statement from the club too! Well done JF!
Posted by: RoboCod, March 2, 2018, 11:13pm; Reply: 100
Should have said..cleared to work with young people and keep on coaching after serving probation.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 2, 2018, 11:38pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from Ipswin

I wouldn't worry too much about that, I don't think for a moment that the opinion of many on here had anything to do with Fenty's decision, since when did he take any notice of the fans

Perfect excuse though innit. Like it was our fault Hurst left, and not that he went 'to work with honest people'.
Posted by: toontown, March 2, 2018, 11:57pm; Reply: 102
Pleased with this appointment, more forward looking than the usual merry-go-round manager, young, articulate and eager to make his mark on the game with plenty of coaching experience, but it is still a gamble as all managers are. Good that he is moving to the area with his family - welcome Mr (& Mrs!) Michael Jolley!
Posted by: Maringer, March 3, 2018, 12:00am; Reply: 103
Quoted from RonMariner
Great news.  Even if he doesn't mage to keep us up, which let's face it wont be his fault, I have confidence he could build a team to bring us straight back.

Erm, if you take over a team effectively 7 points ahead of relegation with 11 matches to play but can't keep them up, I think you have to take a decent chunk of the blame. Anything other than League status next season would be a Nicky Law of a job as far as I'm concerned.
Posted by: Tommy, March 3, 2018, 12:25am; Reply: 104
Quoted from Maringer

Erm, if you take over a team effectively 7 points ahead of relegation with 11 matches to play but can't keep them up, I think you have to take a decent chunk of the blame. Anything other than League status next season would be a Nicky Law of a job as far as I'm concerned.

Get what you're saying, but I think there's a middle ground between what you're both saying.

Nicky Law took over after Rodger had steered us to 3 wins in 6 games as caretaker.
Jolley takes over with us not having won in 14 games.

Like you say, still time for him to effect our season and keep us up, but he does inherit a team in much worse form than Law did.

Anyway, hopefully this'll be the last time anyone ever compares Jolley to Law.
Posted by: AndyGTFC, March 3, 2018, 2:25am; Reply: 105
Pleased with the appointment, he's a bit of an unknown quantity but that is more exciting than usual.

He's still got a poor squad to deal with for the rest of the season so has a job on his hands but hopefully we can nick the wins to stay up.
Posted by: Davec, March 3, 2018, 7:26am; Reply: 106
Some people are looking at his stats in Sweden with only 4 wins in 18 but you have to remember he took the job in very difficult circumstances, they were by far the worst squad in that Swedish top flight and would take a miracle to do anything with it, and I am given to understand despite all this he was actually well respected in Sweden.
Posted by: Mariner93er, March 3, 2018, 9:33am; Reply: 107
And it's not even 7 points. If chesterfield win their game in hand it's 3 points. We lose today then they can go level on points with their games in hand.
Posted by: RonMariner, March 3, 2018, 10:20am; Reply: 108
Quoted from Maringer

You need to check your maths :-)

We are 6 points ahead of Chesterfield who also have a game in hand so you could say our margin is 6 at best, 3 at worst, and we have picked a point in our last 6 games so others are catching us fast.

Also we can't expect him to wave a magic wand today having only been appointed yesterday. He has ten games.

I think he has a big task to turn this squad around, and the damage done by Slade is considerable. As I have said previously there are three massive home games, Port Vale, Barnet and Chesterfield. If he can win those I would say we are safe. I am worried that the Port Vale game may come a little soon, before he has had time to evaluate all of the players, but maybe his man management skills might be able motivate the players sufficiently to get a result.

I see this as a long term appointment, but if he saves us in the short term, all the better.

Posted by: Ipswin, March 3, 2018, 12:24pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from Davec
Some people are looking at his stats in Sweden with only 4 wins in 18 but you have to remember he took the job in very difficult circumstances, they were by far the worst squad in that Swedish top flight and would take a miracle to do anything with it, and I am given to understand despite all this he was actually well respected in Sweden.

I can't imagine more difficult circumstances than the ones at BP right now, an assistant forced on him, thousands of fans baying for the owner to urine off, dreams of a new ground in tatters, a squad most of whom are either on loan or don't give a excrement (or both). I can't envisage a more difficult situation it makes Sweden where there are only two or three teams who are any good, look a doddle

He might have beaten Malmo and someone else but he still only managed 4 wins and 15 points and he failed as his club finished bottom. He didn't manage a miracle there lets hope he can conjure up one at BP - we need it. I don't want a well respected hungry young manager who got us relegated I just want one who kept us up and I worry this lad with his lack of experience might not be up to it. Thats why I would rather have had an older experienced hand

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, March 3, 2018, 12:26pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from Grim74
Well it's seems the vast majority are pleased with this appointment including myself, I really hope he's the man and will be there for the Vale game now to give my full support. But let's not expect to much to soon this is still the shower of excrement team that couldn't care less if we get relegated (which is very likely) he's got his work cut out for sure and I for one won't condemn him if we go down.  

I am not critical as such but I think some are underestimating the task ahead in trying to keep us up. All the teams around us are in better form, and I just cannot see where the goals are going to come from. However apparently he has seen us play a couple of times and will have researched the squad so he must feel he can pull it off.

If he fails and we get relegated very little will be his fault; surely everyone knows by now the problems lie in the boardroom, but the good thing about the appointment is that it seems to have galvanised the fans to leave such criticisms to one side till the seasons end.

Football being what it is we will probably win today and things will look a whole lot brighter, but whatever happens I hope he is the man who can somehow get us moving on and off the field and have much more influence in how the club is run. If he is as clever as his record suggests, perhaps he can point the board in the right direction.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 3, 2018, 1:37pm; Reply: 111
Our opponents view :-

https://www.thecumbrians.net/index.php/cufc-forum/main-forum/8021-new-grimsby-manager
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 3, 2018, 3:05pm; Reply: 112
More from MJ

Apparently at school with Jack Lester.

Posted by: arryarryarry, March 3, 2018, 4:14pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from arryarryarry
More from MJ

Apparently at school with Jack Lester.

Part 2

Posted by: rancido, March 3, 2018, 5:25pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from Ipswin

I don't recall Laurie Mac playing professional football but he turned out to be a reasonable manager !
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 4:25pm