7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
December 10, 2017, 1:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
I echo all the views of buckstown above.

Keeping the tricky and ever-threatening Dembele on the halfway line when defending corners would frighten any team.  They would probably put 2 players on him, and even 3 to be sure.   This tactic would reduce any opposition threat at corners.

We continue to give avoidable freekicks away, particularly in the second-half.  The BBC reported that we conceded 21.  This was a fair few more than any other team in Div 2 yesterday.  I checked out of curiority.

York Mariners went to Message in the Bottle after the game. PSGMariners place.  3 pints of draft local East Coast IPA went down very well.  There is also a good selection of bottled beers inside.  For draft beer you have to sit outside.  The heaters made a difference!   We got a very warm welcome from the staff and other customers.  PSG is ill with bad food-poisoning so we all hope he gets better soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 68
MarinersOnTheUp
December 10, 2017, 3:28pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +22 / -2
Approval: +484
Played some good stuff up until the goal, after that we just stopped playing football properly and we were dreadful.

Honestly, based on the performance after the goal, we got away with it, we got a win because FGR were unbelievabley incompetent, any half decent side would’ve exposed us and made us pay in the second half.

Worries me that the players heads dropped after we scored, when they should’ve gained confidence.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 68
toontown
December 10, 2017, 4:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Jones 'let the keeper' waltz past him cos he was knackered by the last 20 odd minutes and should have been subbed. Fgr played it amongst their keeper and central defenders (and did it well tbh) and our tactic was for the midfield to not be sucked forward closing players down, they held position, which mean Matt and jones covered huge amounts of ground chasing down. Jones was shattered, his head wasn't down. Thought hooper should have replaced him for at least the last 20, shows how little faith slade has in his other forwards that he didn't in my opinion
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 68
ginnywings
December 10, 2017, 9:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Just back myself from a weekend in Leeds and great to see we got that third win on the spin against the village people. Bit sad to see a few digs at Jones as i thought he was great against Swindon and also scored against Barnet, so having an off game can be forgiven. Even the best players have off days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 68
Mrs Doyle
December 10, 2017, 9:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

JT asked Slade about this in the post-match interview but it wasn’t really answered

He said he’d explained this at the Fans’ Forum and wasn’t about to go over it again

Got to admit though seemed an opportunity for us to leave someone further up the field to allow us to counter attack

Seems Slade would rather us just defend deeply and to concede territory to the opposition

Slades theory is that by leaving everybody in the box it gives their defenders a false sense of security allowing them to push up towards the edge of the box.

He then thinks the pace of Dembele D.J. and co will out stip them if a break away was to happen.

He did explain this tactic at the forum and provided stats to prove it I remain skeptical it seems more of a insurance against Maccas flapping but bow to the fact he is vastly more experienced than me and is paid to make those decisions.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 68
MuddyWaters
December 10, 2017, 9:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings
Just back myself from a weekend in Leeds and great to see we got that third win on the spin against the village people. Bit sad to see a few digs at Jones as i thought he was great against Swindon and also scored against Barnet, so having an off game can be forgiven. Even the best players have off days.

You may have thought he was good in the games you saw but he wasn't yesterday. On the new, politically correct Fishy, are we not allowed to have an opinion on a game we've just watched?
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 68
Mrs Doyle
December 10, 2017, 10:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
To be fair to Sam he looked really down after the penno miss and it told in his play but he did still have chances think some people are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Yeah the lad as a bit of attitude but he is the best striker we have I am sure he will bang in more goals he is the most direct striker we have and always looks to have a strike at goal.

Be more concerned if he never showed any emotion,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 68
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 10, 2017, 10:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Think his point was aimed more at those posters who were suggesting Jones was playing like he doesn't want to be at the club and is not interested. Think most reasonable fans accept yesterday was not one of his better days but to suggest because he did not play well he wants away is ridiculous.

Anyway Ginny can answer for himself but sat here bored as forced to watch this jungle balderdash so thought I would waste a couple of minutes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 68
ginnywings
December 10, 2017, 10:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You may have thought he was good in the games you saw but he wasn't yesterday. On the new, politically correct Fishy, are we not allowed to have an opinion on a game we've just watched?

You sure are and i never suggested otherwise. I've since watched the highlights and he is prominent in most things we did attack wise and had several efforts at goal, including a near miss hitting the post. By my reckoning, he has hit the inside of the post twice and missed two pens in recent home games, so must be a bit miffed himself to not be scoring in front of the home fans.

Did the fishy become politically correct during my two day sojourn to Yorkshire?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 68
LH
December 10, 2017, 11:08pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,504
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from ginnywings

You sure are and i never suggested otherwise. I've since watched the highlights and he is prominent in most things we did attack wise and had several efforts at goal, including a near miss hitting the post. By my reckoning, he has hit the inside of the post twice and missed two pens in recent home games, so must be a bit miffed himself to not be scoring in front of the home fans.

Did the fishy become politically correct during my two day sojourn to Yorkshire?

The political correctness comment might be something to do with the grimsby pete saga. It’s political correctness gone mad when you can’t harrass a club director on a football forum anymore I tell ya!
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.