7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Garth
December 9, 2017, 6:02pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
What was the point of the subs, Hooper and Woolford never showed when winning and holding up the ball was necessary, and Vernon was just a last minute running the clock down.
I think we are a stronger unit but still require changes in the window
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 68
barralad
December 9, 2017, 6:07pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Game of two halves. Decent first half. Plenty of good passing and movement using the width. One ball Summerfield played down the line for Mills was sublime. Summerfield's shot from distance was curling into the top corner before the keeper pulled off an excellent save.
The Village People's only tactic seemed to be to waste time which bit them on the ar*e when Boyeson had fonally had enough and booked the lad who minutes later gave away the penalty earning a second in the process.
Most people would have expected Town to kick on second half but it looked as though Russ wanted to protect the lead. There were still flashes-a great header from Jones from a brilliant Summerfield free kick but Town defended too deep inviting them on. Only appalling finishing stopped them getting an unlikely point.
There was something amiss with Jones today. Whether it was the missed penalty but he looked not bothered in the second period-certainly after the header off the post.
No Town player seemed to want to play the killer ball into the box or when in the box put in a shot.
Undeniably though that's nine points from nine and sets us up for a cracker next Saturday at County.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 68
oldun
December 9, 2017, 6:12pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
3 points but it should have been so much more comfortable. Had enough chances to win several games. Quick reaction from Rose to score. Credit to the 10 men of FGR who stepped it up looking for an equaliser. We still should have scored more. Jones was unlucky with a powerful header which hit the bar although at other times he was selfish with others well positioned. We should have scored when Dembele and Summerfield broke but summers went too wide and the chance was gone. We needed more awareness and composure in the final third. However the team can play now it is settled, looking sound at the back and threatening going forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 68
moosey_club
December 9, 2017, 6:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,213
Gold Stars: 226
Not sure i have seen any team play as badly against ten men as we did today...poor tactically and individual decision making wise...but hey...3 on the bounce.

The back four, Summerfield and Matt playing to the standard required.

DJ off it today which is a shame, saw plenty of the ball but at times tried too much, as did Jones...Siriki plenty of endeavour, better decision making from him in the final third as well off loading the ball once he had dragged 2/3 players into him.

If Jones header had snuck in off the post early second half game could have really opened up instead it was FGR who did all the pressing, seemed to find all the space and had the lions share of possession and territory second half with ten men !! ...but for all of it i dont recall Macca making a "save" in the 90 mins.

Against ten men we still dropped deep, surrendered 2/3rds of the field and still didnt leave anyone up for their corners...against ten !!!  Shocking that Russell.  
Should have made it alot easier as the game wore on but Jones, Summerfield, Matt all wasting good opportunities on the break.

Boyeson - well...actually thought he was pretty good, big shove/pull for the penalty..goal scoring opportunity with no attempt to play the ball = Red in my book...30 odd mins and a booking for them time wasting..not often you will see that......Siriki - definately looked like amateur dramatics from where i was sat so deserves a yellow for going down like he had been shot.....Macca ..timewasting and deserved yellow....i think Summerfield picked one up as well later on second half for a shove in the back (he had been warned a couple of times already after one or two similar) so fair enough.

All in all alot nervier than it should it been but a welcome 3 points with tough games ahead. UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 68
sonofmadeleymariner
December 9, 2017, 6:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
Frustrating is the key word. First half pressed them high and they're weren't in the game at all, we couldn't get the ball in the net despite being so much better then they were. It was a penno I don't think theres any arguement there. Jones shouldn't be taking them any more fair enough he's stepped feeling confident but that was a shocking effort, well done Rose for stepping in and finishing it off.

Second half stank of negative Slade tactics. I can hear the half time team talk now, "Well yes lads that was a fantastic first half, you've moved the ball well and pressed high forcing them to commit mistakes, plan for the 2nd half is to sit deep and soak up the pressure and hit them on the counter. No Summerfield, we shouldn't keep pressing them hih and dominating the 2nd half, we're going to sit back and not continue what was clearly the correct tactic." If only we had pressed high like the first half we would of absoutely battered them. Instead we had 2 cleared off the line and nearly went home with a draw.

Strange 2nd half sub with Jones and Rose either struggling for fitness or just being lazy instead subbing DJ who looked perfectly fine and still in the game. He did finally take Rose and an exhausted Matt off.

Summerfield a class above again, showing real passion,  Dembele did well as usual as did Matt, DJ and the back 4. Macca didn't have anything to do most of the game and Rose did well in the first half.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 68
Mrs Doyle
December 9, 2017, 6:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Great win first and foremost but against ten men we failed to get the ball wide and were chasing the game second half.

I understand Slades explanation of having every player behind the ball at setpieces against eleven men but we were against ten men for fifty minutes WTF was that all about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 68
Jarmo.Is.God
December 9, 2017, 6:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Jones had a real off day and lost his head massively!

Hooper was brought on for pace I think when it got stretched, but should of been for Jones

Whilst we made it difficult, they only had 1? Shot on target and didn't threaten

Clarke is winning me over, reads the game very well

Summerfield my MOTM, don't know what's happened to him, but he's come out of no where and his work rate, And bravery is massive in the middle
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 68
headingly_mariner
December 9, 2017, 7:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Great result! We are so wasteful in the final third though. Quite a few times today a simple pass instead of a shot or another touch would've put someone clean through. onwards and upwards. Ref was awful for both sides, they must be fuming about the sending off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 68
Maringer
December 9, 2017, 8:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
A good example today of why we still have a negative goal difference despite the fact we're on the brink of a play-off place.

FGR were seriously poor in the first half and we had numerous opportunities to break forward after winning possession in midfield, but all too often the subsequent shot, cross or pass was poor.

In the second half we played really badly but still spurned half a dozen really good chances to break - wrong pass, bad pass, poor cross, failure to shoot - we can mess up counter-attacks in pretty much all the ways that there are.

Surprising to some degree because we were pretty good on the counter during Slade's first tenure. If we're going to play the sort of conservative style favoured by Slade, we've just got to make better choices when we're breaking on the attack because we didn't force their keeper to make nearly enough saves today.

I don't think either of the wingers made a correct decision when we were trying to counter today with Dembele in particular dwelling on the ball when a simple sideways pass would have led to a shooting chance. The less said about Jones' sulky second half performance, the better. One header from which he really should have scored then after that, he barely made a correct choice when he got the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 68
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 9, 2017, 8:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Agree with most of the comments but think it unfair to blame Slade's tactics for second half. Corner kicks are a puzzle but he's explained his thinking on this but given some composure we would have had a cricket score second half & although Jones had a good header, which came off the post, it was in reality a glaring miss as keeper had come off his line leaving a gaping open goal.

Whatever, formation and introduction of pace made a massive improvement
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.