Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 9, 2017, 5:01pm
To car, played well first half, played poor second half.

Didn't take advantage of the extra man.

Couldn't understand the substitutions, Jones should give up the job of taking Penalties.

Great to get three wins in a row.
Posted by: Hagrid, December 9, 2017, 5:15pm; Reply: 1
Jones's attitude stank second half. A wins a win though, despite a poor second half. Collins or clarke MOM
Posted by: Mikoo, December 9, 2017, 5:18pm; Reply: 2
Totally agree, played great first half. Second half had me tearing my hair out
Posted by: oochiad, December 9, 2017, 5:19pm; Reply: 3
I agree, Jones really isn’t doing it at times. That penalty was shocking and he didn’t look right after. Made hard work if it in the second half but they still didn’t really create anything. Now I can enjoy my drive back to Yorkshire. Looking forward to Nottingham next weekend. ITM
Posted by: oochiad, December 9, 2017, 5:20pm; Reply: 4
Oops UTM!!!
Posted by: LH, December 9, 2017, 5:36pm; Reply: 5
A win is a win and I’ll always love beating FGR. Jones looked like he couldn’t be arsed at all. Boyeson not that much of a twit again - maybe he’s a reformed man?
Posted by: Stew0_0, December 9, 2017, 5:45pm; Reply: 6
Frustrating but a wins a win and only out of play-off place by goal difference which is annoying because we should have won more comfortably.

Forest Green were the worst team ive seen us play this season and only tactics they had were playing from the keeper, time wasting and  falling over at slightest touch to buy a free kick. Collins and clarke gave there dangerman Doidge nothing all game and defensively we were very tight.

Overall, we could have played better offensively and made better decisions but first time since we rejoined football league that weve won 3 on the bounce so cant complain.... to much.

Ben Davies my m.o.m closely followed by Nathan Clarke.

Utm
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 9, 2017, 5:52pm; Reply: 7
3 points gladly taken from the carrot munchers, onwards we go, hopefully if we keep going like we did in the first half we'll soon have positive number of goals which could help cement our place in the top 7.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 9, 2017, 5:54pm; Reply: 8
Happy days - 3 wins on the bounce is good news in spite of our non-performance 2nd half. MoTM? First half Summers, 2nd half Clarke, Sam Jones was a. lazy and b. greedy.
Posted by: Grimbiggs, December 9, 2017, 5:55pm; Reply: 9
Solid performance, decent start to the game with plenty of possession in the first half, but failed to capitalise on the many half chances we had. Shocking penalty from Jones, and a poor performance from him on the whole, seemed to make the wrong decisions every opportunity he had. Matt throw himself around, although it was hard work second half, numerous breaks, but final ball in the final third and finishing was lacking, and we couldn't deliver that killer punch. Forest Green were another poor side, and created little. Anyway a wins a win, hard to name a MOM, as back four all played well, and I thought Rose had a good game in the middle, breaking everything up, and distributing the ball well. Next two games will see how good we are, up against the best two sides in the division...UTM
Posted by: Garth, December 9, 2017, 6:02pm; Reply: 10
What was the point of the subs, Hooper and Woolford never showed when winning and holding up the ball was necessary, and Vernon was just a last minute running the clock down.
I think we are a stronger unit but still require changes in the window
Posted by: barralad, December 9, 2017, 6:07pm; Reply: 11
Game of two halves. Decent first half. Plenty of good passing and movement using the width. One ball Summerfield played down the line for Mills was sublime. Summerfield's shot from distance was curling into the top corner before the keeper pulled off an excellent save.
The Village People's only tactic seemed to be to waste time which bit them on the ar*e when Boyeson had fonally had enough and booked the lad who minutes later gave away the penalty earning a second in the process.
Most people would have expected Town to kick on second half but it looked as though Russ wanted to protect the lead. There were still flashes-a great header from Jones from a brilliant Summerfield free kick but Town defended too deep inviting them on. Only appalling finishing stopped them getting an unlikely point.
There was something amiss with Jones today. Whether it was the missed penalty but he looked not bothered in the second period-certainly after the header off the post.
No Town player seemed to want to play the killer ball into the box or when in the box put in a shot.
Undeniably though that's nine points from nine and sets us up for a cracker next Saturday at County.
Posted by: oldun, December 9, 2017, 6:12pm; Reply: 12
3 points but it should have been so much more comfortable. Had enough chances to win several games. Quick reaction from Rose to score. Credit to the 10 men of FGR who stepped it up looking for an equaliser. We still should have scored more. Jones was unlucky with a powerful header which hit the bar although at other times he was selfish with others well positioned. We should have scored when Dembele and Summerfield broke but summers went too wide and the chance was gone. We needed more awareness and composure in the final third. However the team can play now it is settled, looking sound at the back and threatening going forward.
Posted by: moosey_club, December 9, 2017, 6:16pm; Reply: 13
Not sure i have seen any team play as badly against ten men as we did today...poor tactically and individual decision making wise...but hey...3 on the bounce.

The back four, Summerfield and Matt playing to the standard required.

DJ off it today which is a shame, saw plenty of the ball but at times tried too much, as did Jones...Siriki plenty of endeavour, better decision making from him in the final third as well off loading the ball once he had dragged 2/3 players into him.

If Jones header had snuck in off the post early second half game could have really opened up instead it was FGR who did all the pressing, seemed to find all the space and had the lions share of possession and territory second half with ten men !! ...but for all of it i dont recall Macca making a "save" in the 90 mins.

Against ten men we still dropped deep, surrendered 2/3rds of the field and still didnt leave anyone up for their corners...against ten !!!  Shocking that Russell.  
Should have made it alot easier as the game wore on but Jones, Summerfield, Matt all wasting good opportunities on the break.

Boyeson - well...actually thought he was pretty good, big shove/pull for the penalty..goal scoring opportunity with no attempt to play the ball = Red in my book...30 odd mins and a booking for them time wasting..not often you will see that......Siriki - definately looked like amateur dramatics from where i was sat so deserves a yellow for going down like he had been shot.....Macca ..timewasting and deserved yellow....i think Summerfield picked one up as well later on second half for a shove in the back (he had been warned a couple of times already after one or two similar) so fair enough.

All in all alot nervier than it should it been but a welcome 3 points with tough games ahead. UTM
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, December 9, 2017, 6:21pm; Reply: 14
Frustrating is the key word. First half pressed them high and they're weren't in the game at all, we couldn't get the ball in the net despite being so much better then they were. It was a penno I don't think theres any arguement there. Jones shouldn't be taking them any more fair enough he's stepped feeling confident but that was a shocking effort, well done Rose for stepping in and finishing it off.

Second half stank of negative Slade tactics. I can hear the half time team talk now, "Well yes lads that was a fantastic first half, you've moved the ball well and pressed high forcing them to commit mistakes, plan for the 2nd half is to sit deep and soak up the pressure and hit them on the counter. No Summerfield, we shouldn't keep pressing them hih and dominating the 2nd half, we're going to sit back and not continue what was clearly the correct tactic." If only we had pressed high like the first half we would of absoutely battered them. Instead we had 2 cleared off the line and nearly went home with a draw.

Strange 2nd half sub with Jones and Rose either struggling for fitness or just being lazy instead subbing DJ who looked perfectly fine and still in the game. He did finally take Rose and an exhausted Matt off.

Summerfield a class above again, showing real passion,  Dembele did well as usual as did Matt, DJ and the back 4. Macca didn't have anything to do most of the game and Rose did well in the first half.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, December 9, 2017, 6:31pm; Reply: 15
Great win first and foremost but against ten men we failed to get the ball wide and were chasing the game second half.

I understand Slades explanation of having every player behind the ball at setpieces against eleven men but we were against ten men for fifty minutes WTF was that all about.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, December 9, 2017, 6:33pm; Reply: 16
Jones had a real off day and lost his head massively!

Hooper was brought on for pace I think when it got stretched, but should of been for Jones

Whilst we made it difficult, they only had 1? Shot on target and didn't threaten

Clarke is winning me over, reads the game very well

Summerfield my MOTM, don't know what's happened to him, but he's come out of no where and his work rate, And bravery is massive in the middle
Posted by: headingly_mariner, December 9, 2017, 7:15pm; Reply: 17
Great result! We are so wasteful in the final third though. Quite a few times today a simple pass instead of a shot or another touch would've put someone clean through. onwards and upwards. Ref was awful for both sides, they must be fuming about the sending off.
Posted by: Maringer, December 9, 2017, 8:34pm; Reply: 18
A good example today of why we still have a negative goal difference despite the fact we're on the brink of a play-off place.

FGR were seriously poor in the first half and we had numerous opportunities to break forward after winning possession in midfield, but all too often the subsequent shot, cross or pass was poor.

In the second half we played really badly but still spurned half a dozen really good chances to break - wrong pass, bad pass, poor cross, failure to shoot - we can mess up counter-attacks in pretty much all the ways that there are.

Surprising to some degree because we were pretty good on the counter during Slade's first tenure. If we're going to play the sort of conservative style favoured by Slade, we've just got to make better choices when we're breaking on the attack because we didn't force their keeper to make nearly enough saves today.

I don't think either of the wingers made a correct decision when we were trying to counter today with Dembele in particular dwelling on the ball when a simple sideways pass would have led to a shooting chance. The less said about Jones' sulky second half performance, the better. One header from which he really should have scored then after that, he barely made a correct choice when he got the ball.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, December 9, 2017, 8:34pm; Reply: 19
Agree with most of the comments but think it unfair to blame Slade's tactics for second half. Corner kicks are a puzzle but he's explained his thinking on this but given some composure we would have had a cricket score second half & although Jones had a good header, which came off the post, it was in reality a glaring miss as keeper had come off his line leaving a gaping open goal.

Whatever, formation and introduction of pace made a massive improvement
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 9, 2017, 8:35pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Hooper was brought on for pace I think when it got stretched, but should of been for Jones

Whilst we made it difficult, they only had 1? Shot on target and didn't threaten

Summerfield my MOTM, don't know what's happened to him, but he's come out of no where and his work rate, And bravery is massive in the middle

Met Summers today (done his kit sponsorship) - great lad with a really good attitude.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 9, 2017, 8:36pm; Reply: 21
Sounds like a strong candidate for POTS or at least Most Improved Player.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 9, 2017, 8:53pm; Reply: 22
Think some of the criticism feels a bit harsh but certainly a game where we should have scored more and we saw the team we could be and  lapsed back to the team we have been, I think not playing last week may not have helped especially when a few Town players where where blowing out of their backsides with 10 minutes to go.  

With the ball on the deck we at times looked pretty decent and passed it well, despite us not scoring a bag full against 10 men we created a lot of chances but today really underlines the need for a "clever" striker as we squandered too many well worked opportunities with poor decision making.

We all wanted more goals and we should have scored more but actually when you step back the improvement over the last month or so is evident but will be tested in the next 4 games without doubt. BTW if we get a penalty please give it to Ban Davis FFS.

Thought VGR where pretty poor and their gamesmanship (aka cheating) at every opportunity including the delay at the penalty just underlines who unauthentic they are as a club - I hope they g down.  

Anyway 3rd win in a row, think we're trying to keep the ball down and a win is a win.

UTM!!

P..S. - Get the Dembelle deal done now please, when that lad gets the ball anything can happen.  

Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 9, 2017, 8:55pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Met Summers today (done his kit sponsorship) - great lad with a really good attitude.

Possibly one of the fittest players we have had in years as well, would have loved him to score today especially wit that attempt in the 1st half.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, December 9, 2017, 9:23pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

We all know his bravery and ability to break up play but first half he rifled one corner in like a bullet that nearly found Matts head an awesome weapon he needs to use more.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 9, 2017, 9:30pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
[/b]

We all know his bravery and ability to break up play but first half he rifled one corner in like a bullet that nearly found Matts head an awesome weapon he needs to use more.

The free kick when we hit the post in the 2nd half was not too bad either. Amazing come back after last season really
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, December 9, 2017, 9:41pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Great result! We are so wasteful in the final third though. Quite a few times today a simple pass instead of a shot or another touch would've put someone clean through. onwards and upwards. Ref was awful for both sides, they must be fuming about the sending off.

Whilst not the best their side did not help themselves time wasting in the first half especially the keeper but the defender that got booked was the same one that gave away the penno hence the second booking.

He also got the Dembele booking correct much as I like Dembele trying to fake an injury to get a man sent off does not sit well. Ref got that absolutely spot on.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 9, 2017, 9:49pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

[/b]

Whilst not the best their side did not help themselves time wasting in the first half especially the keeper but the defender that got booked was the same one that gave away the penno hence the second booking.

He also got the Dembele booking correct much as I like Dembele trying to fake an injury to get a man sent off does not sit well. Ref got that absolutely spot on.

Though the Macca booking reeked of "evening up" anyway we won. As well as being a poor side VGR are right up their own backsides their keeper needs to understand he's not Neuer and when your in the sh1t at the bottom of the league playing out from the back may not get you where you need to be. I also have no idea of the signal Scott Laird was tying to do when putting the ball down at fee kicks whatever it was it didn't work.  ;)
Posted by: oldun, December 9, 2017, 9:55pm; Reply: 28
Dembele's play acting after he was knocked over was not what we want to see. He was holding his head as if he had been smashed in the face when no such contact took place. Ref got his yellow card spot on. I hope Slade has a word with him and we don't see him do that again.
Posted by: EY Mariner, December 9, 2017, 11:57pm; Reply: 29
It would appear that all the world and his wife are against Forest Green at the moment judging by these bleatings:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nkU3p0qb_g&feature=youtu.be[/url]

He's lucky his team didn't get the beating they truly deserved today. We should have scored five or six.
Posted by: Davec, December 10, 2017, 7:49am; Reply: 30
Well FGR certainly look to play football along the floor but today it was boring and actually quite cocky, first half they didn't threaten at all hardly and at times their passing was suicidal and like others have said we could and should have scored 3 or 4 in the first half. FGR timewasting and general agricultural demeanour mean I really hope they get relegated. 2nd half was terrible and in the end we were lucky to keep them out however we still missed chances galore.

Jones is bang out of form, does he even want to be here? And please take him of penalties!

I didn't agree with Hooper for Rose, no fault of Hooper but his natural instincts are to drift inside and he did just that leaving Davies exposed, if Rose had to come off I would have brought on Dixon and move Davies to centre mid leaving Woolford out wide.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 10, 2017, 8:20am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Davec
Well FGR certainly look to play football along the floor but today it was boring and actually quite cocky, first half they didn't threaten at all hardly and at times their passing was suicidal and like others have said we could and should have scored 3 or 4 in the first half. FGR timewasting and general agricultural demeanour mean I really hope they get relegated. 2nd half was terrible and in the end we were lucky to keep them out however we still missed chances galore.

Jones is bang out of form, does he even want to be here? And please take him of penalties!

I didn't agree with Hooper for Rose, no fault of Hooper but his natural instincts are to drift inside and he did just that leaving Davies exposed, if Rose had to come off I would have brought on Dixon and move Davies to centre mid leaving Woolford out wide.

Bit in bold, what a daft comment. I think Rose and DJ where brought off as there are tougher tests ahead in the next month.
Posted by: buckstown, December 10, 2017, 8:24am; Reply: 32
For various reasons this was my first game of the season and first half I was impressed. Nice football and skill, pressed when they had the ball and it was just a matter of time. Thought Matt had their centre half on toast from minute one and we could have put more balls into the box
Dreadful penalty and Davis needs to be taking them.
I was impressed with the way FGR tried to play the ball out of defence but it had member up stamped all over it, plus they were rubbish for the last 60 yards of the pitch so I think it's naive given their position in the league.
Second half they went for it and our final ball and decision making was awful. I think our starting eleven is very close to a play off team, but the substitutions exposed the lack of quality and that will be crucial especially against better teams. Also disagree slightly about earlier Jones comments, thought him and Matt did a lot of running and pressing and were plain shattered for the last 30 minutes. Trouble is Slade had little choice and had to leave them on.
Overall enjoyed it and see you at Luton
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 10, 2017, 8:33am; Reply: 33
Quoted from buckstown
For various reasons this was my first game of the season and first half I was impressed. Nice football and skill, pressed when they had the ball and it was just a matter of time. Thought Matt had their centre half on toast from minute one and we could have put more balls into the box
Dreadful penalty and Davis needs to be taking them.
I was impressed with the way FGR tried to play the ball out of defence but it had member up stamped all over it, plus they were rubbish for the last 60 yards of the pitch so I think it's naive given their position in the league.
Second half they went for it and our final ball and decision making was awful. I think our starting eleven is very close to a play off team, but the substitutions exposed the lack of quality and that will be crucial especially against better teams. Also disagree slightly about earlier Jones comments, thought him and Matt did a lot of running and pressing and were plain shattered for the last 30 minutes. Trouble is Slade had little choice and had to leave them on.
Overall enjoyed it and see you at Luton

Agree with this if ever there was a game where the skill of Osborne and the pace of Bolarinwa would have added something from the bench it was yesterday. The fact that Doige who has 11 in the league season to date never got a look in is credit to Town.
Posted by: Davec, December 10, 2017, 8:41am; Reply: 34
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Bit in bold, what a daft comment. I think Rose and DJ where brought off as there are tougher tests ahead in the next month.

How is it? Many people who sit around me think the same, does Jones want to be here? It doesn't look as so he does under Slade
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 10, 2017, 8:50am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Davec

How is it? Many people who sit around me think the same, does Jones want to be here? It doesn't look as so he does under Slade

Does he look any different to what he did when Bignot was here? I think so his first touch is better and he is playing a bit more with his head up and making good progress at football league level. He certainly looked like he wanted to be here when he scored at Barnet and worked really hard to win the ball for Matt to score versus Swindon.

I guess it's all quiet on the Fenty front so lets start having a pop at one or two players.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 10, 2017, 8:53am; Reply: 36
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Does he look any different to what he did when Bignot was here? I think so his first touch is better and he is playing a bit more with his head up and making good progress at football league level. He certainly looked like he wanted to be here when he scored at Barnet and worked really hard to win the ball for Matt to score versus Swindon.

I guess it's all quiet on the Fenty front so lets start having a pop at one or two players.

We might as well all pack in if you can't have an opinion on player performance. I thought the whole front 6 dropped a level in the second half yesterday with Jones and DJ particularly culpable.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 10, 2017, 9:01am; Reply: 37
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We might as well all pack in if you can't have an opinion on player performance. I thought the whole front 6 dropped a level in the second half yesterday with Jones and DJ particularly culpable.

Did anyone say you can't have an opinion? Or is it just that you can't disagree with yours ;)
Posted by: Croxton, December 10, 2017, 9:17am; Reply: 38
Herts. Yes Jones was much sharper in those games but myself and dozens around me in the Upper were puzzled  by his lack of awareness and movement in the second half.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, December 10, 2017, 9:26am; Reply: 39
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Give over, this is a thread about the game. I'd be surprised if anyone who is disgruntled with the board suddenly thinks they are ok becuase of three good results.

Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, December 10, 2017, 10:25am; Reply: 40
Whilst agreeing that Jones was not at his best yesterday, a nd I think his second penalty miss was a factor in this, he had numerous shots that were either saved, charged down or missed by a mile. Key thing being he was still there missing them at the end which is what good strikers do.

The frustration yesterday arose when he seemed oblivious to the game with him "letting" the keeper waltz past him on semveral occasions. He scored in the last match, links well with Matt and has excellent ball skills plus it was his run and through pass which enabled Matt to score the opener v Swindon. Think his body language, head down, may appear to make him look disinterested and lazy but he sparks into life when the ball is in his area.

IMO an assett and remember we are league 2 players and many are in this league because they are inconsistent, rather stick then twist on this one.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, December 10, 2017, 10:39am; Reply: 41
I enjoyed the game, much better first half than second though. But I really don’t get this, everybody back in our own penalty area when we’re defending a corner, especially when playing against ten men. It meant even their keeper could come up for corners. Really don’t get it.
Posted by: rancido, December 10, 2017, 11:12am; Reply: 42
I would like to ask RS why we persisted in defending corners, without anybody left up front, against 10 men. Then I thought I don't think I could handle a power point display, flow charts and innumerable stats as to why he thinks it's the right tactic to adopt!
Posted by: Badger57, December 10, 2017, 11:31am; Reply: 43
It makes no sense against 11 so there's no chance of there being anything like a good or sensible reason for doing it against 10.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 10, 2017, 12:19pm; Reply: 44

Give over, this is a thread about the game. I'd be surprised if anyone who is disgruntled with the board suddenly thinks they are ok becuase of three good results.

Did anyone suggest any part of your post above?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 10, 2017, 12:19pm; Reply: 45

Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 10, 2017, 12:22pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I would guess that your quote earlier in the thread might have suggested as much?

Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 10, 2017, 12:48pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Badger57
It makes no sense against 11 so there's no chance of there being anything like a good or sensible reason for doing it against 10.

JT asked Slade about this in the post-match interview but it wasn’t really answered

He said he’d explained this at the Fans’ Forum and wasn’t about to go over it again

Got to admit though seemed an opportunity for us to leave someone further up the field to allow us to counter attack

Seems Slade would rather us just defend deeply and to concede territory to the opposition
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 10, 2017, 1:03pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I would guess that your quote earlier in the thread might have suggested as much?

Nah, just a point about a gaff less couple of days ;)
Posted by: mimma, December 10, 2017, 1:48pm; Reply: 49
I was screaming like everyone else to leave at least one player up when defending a corner.

Then someone pointed out that we twice broke out and ended up with two one onto ones with the keeper because they never left anyone on on the halfway line.

What do I know eh?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, December 10, 2017, 1:49pm; Reply: 50
I echo all the views of buckstown above.

Keeping the tricky and ever-threatening Dembele on the halfway line when defending corners would frighten any team.  They would probably put 2 players on him, and even 3 to be sure.   This tactic would reduce any opposition threat at corners.

We continue to give avoidable freekicks away, particularly in the second-half.  The BBC reported that we conceded 21.  This was a fair few more than any other team in Div 2 yesterday.  I checked out of curiority.

York Mariners went to Message in the Bottle after the game. PSGMariners place.  3 pints of draft local East Coast IPA went down very well.  There is also a good selection of bottled beers inside.  For draft beer you have to sit outside.  The heaters made a difference!   We got a very warm welcome from the staff and other customers.  PSG is ill with bad food-poisoning so we all hope he gets better soon.
Posted by: MarinersOnTheUp, December 10, 2017, 3:28pm; Reply: 51
Played some good stuff up until the goal, after that we just stopped playing football properly and we were dreadful.

Honestly, based on the performance after the goal, we got away with it, we got a win because FGR were unbelievabley incompetent, any half decent side would’ve exposed us and made us pay in the second half.

Worries me that the players heads dropped after we scored, when they should’ve gained confidence.
Posted by: toontown, December 10, 2017, 4:25pm; Reply: 52
Jones 'let the keeper' waltz past him cos he was knackered by the last 20 odd minutes and should have been subbed. Fgr played it amongst their keeper and central defenders (and did it well tbh) and our tactic was for the midfield to not be sucked forward closing players down, they held position, which mean Matt and jones covered huge amounts of ground chasing down. Jones was shattered, his head wasn't down. Thought hooper should have replaced him for at least the last 20, shows how little faith slade has in his other forwards that he didn't in my opinion
Posted by: ginnywings, December 10, 2017, 9:01pm; Reply: 53
Just back myself from a weekend in Leeds and great to see we got that third win on the spin against the village people. Bit sad to see a few digs at Jones as i thought he was great against Swindon and also scored against Barnet, so having an off game can be forgiven. Even the best players have off days.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, December 10, 2017, 9:53pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

JT asked Slade about this in the post-match interview but it wasn’t really answered

He said he’d explained this at the Fans’ Forum and wasn’t about to go over it again

Got to admit though seemed an opportunity for us to leave someone further up the field to allow us to counter attack

Seems Slade would rather us just defend deeply and to concede territory to the opposition

Slades theory is that by leaving everybody in the box it gives their defenders a false sense of security allowing them to push up towards the edge of the box.

He then thinks the pace of Dembele D.J. and co will out stip them if a break away was to happen.

He did explain this tactic at the forum and provided stats to prove it I remain skeptical it seems more of a insurance against Maccas flapping but bow to the fact he is vastly more experienced than me and is paid to make those decisions.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 10, 2017, 9:54pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from ginnywings
Just back myself from a weekend in Leeds and great to see we got that third win on the spin against the village people. Bit sad to see a few digs at Jones as i thought he was great against Swindon and also scored against Barnet, so having an off game can be forgiven. Even the best players have off days.

You may have thought he was good in the games you saw but he wasn't yesterday. On the new, politically correct Fishy, are we not allowed to have an opinion on a game we've just watched?
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, December 10, 2017, 10:08pm; Reply: 56
To be fair to Sam he looked really down after the penno miss and it told in his play but he did still have chances think some people are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Yeah the lad as a bit of attitude but he is the best striker we have I am sure he will bang in more goals he is the most direct striker we have and always looks to have a strike at goal.

Be more concerned if he never showed any emotion,
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, December 10, 2017, 10:11pm; Reply: 57
Think his point was aimed more at those posters who were suggesting Jones was playing like he doesn't want to be at the club and is not interested. Think most reasonable fans accept yesterday was not one of his better days but to suggest because he did not play well he wants away is ridiculous.

Anyway Ginny can answer for himself but sat here bored as forced to watch this jungle balderdash so thought I would waste a couple of minutes.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 10, 2017, 10:30pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You may have thought he was good in the games you saw but he wasn't yesterday. On the new, politically correct Fishy, are we not allowed to have an opinion on a game we've just watched?

You sure are and i never suggested otherwise. I've since watched the highlights and he is prominent in most things we did attack wise and had several efforts at goal, including a near miss hitting the post. By my reckoning, he has hit the inside of the post twice and missed two pens in recent home games, so must be a bit miffed himself to not be scoring in front of the home fans.

Did the fishy become politically correct during my two day sojourn to Yorkshire?
Posted by: LH, December 10, 2017, 11:08pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from ginnywings

You sure are and i never suggested otherwise. I've since watched the highlights and he is prominent in most things we did attack wise and had several efforts at goal, including a near miss hitting the post. By my reckoning, he has hit the inside of the post twice and missed two pens in recent home games, so must be a bit miffed himself to not be scoring in front of the home fans.

Did the fishy become politically correct during my two day sojourn to Yorkshire?

The political correctness comment might be something to do with the grimsby pete saga. It’s political correctness gone mad when you can’t harrass a club director on a football forum anymore I tell ya!
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 11, 2017, 12:40am; Reply: 60
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
To be fair to Sam he looked really down after the penno miss and it told in his play but he did still have chances think some people are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Yeah the lad as a bit of attitude but he is the best striker we have I am sure he will bang in more goals he is the most direct striker we have and always looks to have a strike at goal.

Be more concerned if he never showed any emotion,

If he learned to play the ball off a bit quicker instead of trying to beat every player he would be much better.

I like him for his get stuck in attitude although I think his performances have dipped since RS started substituting him, I can't remember which game it was but he certainly wasn't happy about being taken off.
Posted by: AussieMariner, December 11, 2017, 1:27am; Reply: 61
Quoted from arryarryarry

If he learned to play the ball off a bit quicker instead of trying to beat every player he would be much better.

I like him for his get stuck in attitude although I think his performances have dipped since RS started substituting him, I can't remember which game it was but he certainly wasn't happy about being taken off.

Morecambe away was one of them.
I think he is one of our best players/prospects but he definitely plays with a great deal of emotion which is why he loses it when the opposition uses delaying tactics at penalties.
I suspect his bad attitude in the second half on Saturday was because RS told him he wasn’t taking penalties at half time and may have even given him a b0ll0king for ignoring instructions when he insisted on taking the one on Saturday.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, December 11, 2017, 8:31am; Reply: 62
No one is doubting Jones ability, as IMO, one of our best players we've had in a long time.

However on Saturday, he was just stood around.

At 1 point we had a counter attack and he was almost in a CDM position and no way near the play...
Posted by: 1mickylyons, December 11, 2017, 9:07am; Reply: 63
I really enjoyed the match Saturday thought Town played well for the most part but could and should have stuck 3-4 chances away.I was a bit frustrated with Jones but seemed to be carrying a knock or maybe felt ill he certainly never put his usual effort in 2nd half. I feel I have to mention Summerfield again I thought a few played well but he really is 7/10 week in week out and reminds me of Cunnington in a lot of ways.We need to get him tied to a new 2 year deal and find him a partner Rose played well and got a goal it could be him.Summerfield just needs to add the odd goal to his game and he will be 8/10 great effort from him to turn his Town career round.Also the crowd 4300 odd was a great effort given the weather,opposition and time of year and those present backed the team.We need to stay with them now 4 hard games coming up and by hook or by crook we could do with getting a minimum 6 points.UTM
Posted by: ginnywings, December 11, 2017, 9:25am; Reply: 64
Seems to be a recurring theme at home this season. Play well first half, don't get the goals we should, then become progressively deeper and more defensive second half.
Posted by: Maringer, December 11, 2017, 11:50am; Reply: 65
Jones appears to be a bit sulky for me at times and certainly looked a bit half-arsed at times in the second half. He may have been tired, but so was Matt and he was still trying, even though he was too knackered to kick the ball properly by the time he was subbed!

I think it's just part of Jones' personality and probably explains why he dropped out of the game when released by Leeds. He has plenty of ability and generally does well so I think we've just got to accept some below par performances from time to time. Could do with him starting to take some more of his chances though as he really should have buried that header on Saturday,

No more penalties from him though, please. The last two have been really poor and we were slightly fortunate to get away with his miss against FGR.
Posted by: rancido, December 11, 2017, 12:55pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from LH

The political correctness comment might be something to do with the grimsby pete saga. It’s political correctness gone mad when you can’t harrass a club director on a football forum anymore I tell ya!

Harrassment isn't acceptable towards anyone !
Posted by: Garth, December 11, 2017, 2:37pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from rancido

[/b]

Harrassment isn't acceptable towards anyone !

Exactly! criticism yes
Posted by: Mariner_09, December 11, 2017, 2:40pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Maringer
Jones appears to be a bit sulky for me at times and certainly looked a bit half-arsed at times in the second half. He may have been tired, but so was Matt and he was still trying, even though he was too knackered to kick the ball properly by the time he was subbed!

I think it's just part of Jones' personality and probably explains why he dropped out of the game when released by Leeds. He has plenty of ability and generally does well so I think we've just got to accept some below par performances from time to time. Could do with him starting to take some more of his chances though as he really should have buried that header on Saturday,

No more penalties from him though, please. The last two have been really poor and we were slightly fortunate to get away with his miss against FGR.

Even the ones he's scored have been poor pens, low down, not in the corner, that one at Mansfield seemed to go through the keeper. I thought he worked quite hard on Saturday but just looked out of sorts, needs another goal I feel, good player but does run down blind allies and always tries to beat every man (a criticism that could also be aimed at DJ), RS saying that Davies is the pen taker is good news on the basis that that means Dixon shouldn't be coming back into the side anytime soon. He also said that Osborne would definitely be coming back which is good news. I'd leave Jones in there as everyone said that we should drop Siriki but he didn't and it started paying dividends when he got a goal, I suspect the same may apply to Jones.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 6:06pm