11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
November 13, 2017, 8:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Regardless of the ownership question there is so much more that can be done in terms of fan engagement to lift gates and momentum but it appears that the club just choose not to do it.

Too many people in a job for life l’m afraid, no imagination, no flair and no ambition.

Complete fan ownership? Not sure really as I don’t know enough about it. Would definitely like to see more of a joint venture partnership scenario where A share directors (fans group appointments) get on with actually getting stuff done and B share directors take a small retainer of any trading surplus and underight any liabilities just in case.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 104
Bigdog
November 13, 2017, 8:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Cloudy
Whoever ultimately runs the club there has to have a long term plan that is not fixed on short terminism

If it was said that in 5 years we could have a modern new stadium, a youth system towards the upper end of the academy system, producing players. A strategy of having 4/5 older experienced leaders in the squad but the others about getting youngsters through, either home produced or picked from the bigger boys when deemed not quite good enough for Prem/ Championship clubs.

The structure must be fully thought through and agreed. The first team manager can change but only if the new man buys into this plan, no deviation.

Above all the plan must be communicated, updated and the fans involved and educated as to the methods and aims of the plan.

It must have the community at its heart and needs skill to be effectively sold to the fan base.

If it means, at worst  we tread water for five years or so whilst the plan has a chance to bed in and produce then would YOU accept that?

I think I might despite maybe not having a huge time left to see if it works!

Echoes my thoughts Cloudy. The club needs to build an identity and ethos it can sell to prospective signings, create saleable assets to ease cashflow when necessary and begs the need to appoint up and coming coaches/managers/or assistant managers from higher up the ladder who are ready for their chance, rather than grizzled old managers on the way down prone to signing journeymen.

Ultimately it would be a mission statement on the playing side that the fans could understand, identify with and buy into with bums on seats. God knows what our club's identity or methodology is nowadays..

As Imp Corner says, it works for Southampton and I think Brentford are doing quite well using a similar model.

It's a worthy model to aspire to if a way could be found to have the chance to implement it..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 104
Cloudy
November 13, 2017, 8:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Bigdog

Echoes my thoughts Cloudy. The club needs to build an identity and ethos it can sell to prospective signings, create saleable assets to ease cashflow when necessary and begs the need to appoint up and coming coaches/managers/or assistant managers from higher up the ladder who are ready for their chance, rather than grizzled old managers on the way down prone to signing journeymen.

Ultimately it would be a mission statement on the playing side that the fans could understand, identify with and buy into with bums on seats. God knows what our club's identity or methodology is nowadays..

As Imp Corner says, it works for Southampton and I think Brentford are doing quite well using a similar model.

It's a worthy model to aspire to if a way could be found to have the chance to implement it..

We are on a similar wave length on this one but the overwhelming thing has to be one of communicating to the fans what the plan is. This is the biggest failure of the club imo and is why so many feel alienated.

It doesn't take Einstein to realise the importance of being inclusive to the community but the current board regard the supporters as a hindrance
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 104
HertsGTFC
November 13, 2017, 8:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Echoes my thoughts Cloudy. The club needs to build an identity[b][/b] and ethos it can sell to prospective signings, create saleable assets to ease cashflow when necessary and begs the need to appoint up and coming coaches/managers/or assistant managers from higher up the ladder who are ready for their chance, rather than grizzled old managers on the way down prone to signing journeymen.

You use the word "identity" Bigdog which is bang on as we currently have no identity on or off the pitch, the current regime has no identity as it appears they sit quietly in the background waiting for things to happen.

I noticed on Twitter that the crew from Soccer AM have visited GTFC a visit which I assume will be on their Saturday morning show, bit embarrassing really as they are an entertainment show and they chose to come to GTFC.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 104
Bigdog
November 13, 2017, 9:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
As for changing ownership of GTFC.

Notwithstanding an out of the blue multi-million pound investor, the way I see it is this.

A body needs to be set up (or it could be the Trust) that sets out a clear mission statement that it wants to take over the club.

It also sets out a clear identity of how the club would operate, its playing side ethos and tangible goals such as new stadium, League One football aiming for the Championship, a strong academy and a platform for young talent in the first team for example.

It then offers shares that are locked in as an investment that is totally refundable if the ultimate goal is not achieved. If the goal is achieved then the capital is unlocked to fund buying the club and initial cashflow if needed.

Members would offer their skills for free ie building a slick website, marketing, accounts, legal, PR etc.

Fundraising events used to cover operating expenses so  the fans, businesses share capital is never touched and stays locked in for the buy out or full refund if not successful.

If there was the sort of support that OP received, there's a chance with the greater goal of having a say in running the club, it may attract previously reluctant businesses and larger scale investors to get involved as it gathers momentum..

It needs a great deal of thought and planning and a plenty of people prepared to commit a lot of time and energy.

Are there people out there willing enough to do it? Who knows? Hopefully there are. It must be worth considering as its getting to the point where there doesn't seem to be any option than to roll up our sleeves and do something about it. The status quo carrying on years into the distance doesn't bear thinking about, does it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 104
HertsGTFC
November 13, 2017, 9:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog
As for changing ownership of GTFC.

Notwithstanding an out of the blue multi-million pound investor, the way I see it is this.

A body needs to be set up (or it could be the Trust) that sets out a clear mission statement that it wants to take over the club.

It also sets out a clear identity of how the club would operate, its playing side ethos and tangible goals such as new stadium, League One football aiming for the Championship, a strong academy and a platform for young talent in the first team for example.

It then offers shares that are locked in as an investment that is totally refundable if the ultimate goal is not achieved. If the goal is achieved then the capital is unlocked to fund buying the club and initial cashflow if needed.

Members would offer their skills for free ie building a slick website, marketing, etc.

Fundraising events used to cover operating expenses so  the fans, businesses share capital is never touched and stays locked in for the buy out or full refund if not successful.

If there was the sort of support that OP received, there's a chance with the greater goal of having a say in running the club, it may attract previously reluctant businesses and larger scale investors to get involved as it gathers momentum..

It needs a great deal of thought and planning and a plenty of people prepared to commit a lot of time and energy.

Are there people out there willing enough to do it? Who knows? Hopefully there are. It must be worth considering as its getting to the point where there doesn't seem to be any option than to roll up our sleeves and do something about it. The status quo carrying on years into the distance doesn't bear thinking about, does it?

Some interesting stuff there, so what your saying is JF gets his £2 million back by people investing small amounts and then electing a board to act as the exec for the club? The bit I don't get is how can you guarantee a full refund on share purchases?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 104
Bigdog
November 13, 2017, 9:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

You use the word "identity" Bigdog which is bang on as we currently have no identity on or off the pitch
, the current regime has no identity as it appears they sit quietly in the background waiting for things to happen.

I noticed on Twitter that the crew from Soccer AM have visited GTFC a visit which I assume will be on their Saturday morning show, bit embarrassing really as they are an entertainment show and they chose to come to GTFC.

In recent years, the only thing that people from around the country/world could identify GTFC was the way our fans stuck together in non-league and our magnificent away support. Sadly that identity is rapidly disappearing thanks to the current regime.. We need to get it back and build on it somehow..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 104
Bigdog
November 13, 2017, 9:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Some interesting stuff there, so what your saying is JF gets his £2 million back by people investing small amounts and then electing a board to act as the exec for the club? The bit I don't get is how can you guarantee a full refund on share purchases?  

Yes, Could snowball into bigger things.

Ring fence the cash invested in shares. Only to be used for buying the club. Full refund otherwise..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 104
TheRealJohnLewis
November 13, 2017, 9:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Bigdog

In recent years, the only thing that people from around the country/world could identify GTFC was the way our fans stuck together in non-league and our magnificent away support. Sadly that identity is rapidly disappearing thanks to the current regime.. We need to get it back and build on it somehow..

It took many years in the conference to rebuild the damage done prior to the drop, culminating in Op Promotion. Unity is easy to destroy but takes an age to build.  

I think the damage done by the board with its many gaffs recently, is too deep and the only way forward is a change at the top.  Fan ownership can work, but it needs a lot of people to invest time.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 104
Bigdog
November 13, 2017, 9:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

It took many years in the conference to rebuild the damage done prior to the drop, culminating in Op Promotion. Unity is easy to destroy but takes an age to build.  

I think the damage done by the board with its many gaffs recently, is too deep and the only way forward is a change at the top.  Fan ownership can work, but it needs a lot of people to invest time.

The biggest barrier is taking the plunge.

Initially it would only take half a dozen like-minded determined people to take that first step and set out the parameters of the project..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC fan's ownership

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.