11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
November 13, 2017, 8:01am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
I I'm all for looking into it but it's not easy.. First thing I'd do is cut down the number of staff that sit in the office chatting away all day, that'll save 20k+ a year straight away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 104
1mickylyons
November 13, 2017, 8:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It's alright being a fan and it's alright running a business but the last 15 years are living proof that the two are not mutually compatible in running the club of which you are a fan. By remaining silent on Bra-gate and then parading Steve Wraith as the club's spokesman on Checkatrade, John Fenty has, in the last two weeks, near as dammit stuck two fingers up at the very people who have kept GTFC afloat. I don't know how or why anyone can condone the last couple of weeks, he has displayed utter contempt for everything the fans stand for.

I have thought for a while based on the aftermath JF was embarrassed by the success of Operation Promotion because it was so fan driven and out of his control his statements regarding the fans and the Trust have gone quiet since.I think we have probably gone beyond the point of no return in terms of him being Chairman and working with the fans? The new ground if it came about would I feel almost certainly see JF ride off into the sunset and I don`t think that day can ever come soon enough.No more Mr Fenty JUST GO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 104
golfer
November 13, 2017, 8:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111
If the Trust takes over and falls into difficulty who is going to come to our rescue. £100k that we raised for Promotion wouldn't go very far and I can't see us being able to raise more than that. We have to have someone standing by who is able to help when needed[and who WILL help] We all know how nice it would be if a certain person wrote off £2 1/2 million but seriously how many on here would do that.   I can see it now "Due to our unexpected run of poor results and the resultant drop in gate receipts we find that we now have a £250K loss-therefore we ask that the expected 2000 at our next match each donate £125 -collection boxes will be widely available "
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 104
1mickylyons
November 13, 2017, 8:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from golfer
If the Trust takes over and falls into difficulty who is going to come to our rescue. £100k that we raised for Promotion wouldn't go very far and I can't see us being able to raise more than that. We have to have someone standing by who is able to help when needed[and who WILL help] We all know how nice it would be if a certain person wrote off £2 1/2 million but seriously how many on here would do that.   I can see it now "Due to our unexpected run of poor results and the resultant drop in gate receipts we find that we now have a £250K loss-therefore we ask that the expected 2000 at our next match each donate £125 -collection boxes will be widely available "

A good start would be to cut the matchday squad by a third and save on wages.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 104
Swansea_Mariner
November 13, 2017, 8:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from 1mickylyons

A good start would be to cut the matchday squad by a third and save on wages.

Absolutely right we have a squad of 31 and have loaned 5 players out to get game time because there are virtually no reserve games. What a complete waste of money.

Another point I'd make is that I think gates would be more forgiving if the trust were in charge and we were struggling for form. As we would literally all be in it together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 104
KingstonMariner
November 13, 2017, 8:39am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from golfer

What 'difficulty' that we would 'fall into' are you concerned about? Do you mean like signing lots of players on the strength of TV revenue that hasn't actually been realised? Or finding you have an unpaid tax bill? Or sacking managers left right and centre? And then ditching players that you've recently signed?

I'd say the model where we're owned by one or two rich men hasn't exactly worked out for us.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 104
KingstonMariner
November 13, 2017, 8:41am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

There cannot be an equal vote if there are an odd number of people on the board, which i think is the case. If you take the appointment of Woods for instance, i was told that JF and one other wanted Slade but Mike Parker wanted Woods and two other board members went with that. It's easy to say that JF makes all the decisions, but i don't think that is the case.

I discussed fan ownership as well and he was of the same mind as Moosey. Great idea in principal but not practical in reality.

As Mandy Rice-Davies said, 'well he would say that wouldn't he'.

Not practical in reality? AFC Wimbledon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 104
KingstonMariner
November 13, 2017, 8:42am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Whoever owned the club would still get stick on here when things don’t go as expected.

Anyway the margin between profit and loss is quite small at Town so whoever came in would need to have some considerable resreves to cover any liabilities, big ask that.

Liabilities like what?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 104
Caesar
November 13, 2017, 8:44am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
There are obstacles to fan ownership but the main one us surely there are not enough of us committed to it.

Trust run clubs can work and they should be ideal. Just like with every rich benefactor club while some succeed like man city, some are nearly wrecked like Portsmouth.  So Trust run clubs succed while some fail. And as an ideal they never fail in the way a rich benefactor does. Ultimately as we always say fans are the constant at a club, so fan ownership of clubs should be the aim.

The problem is the Trust had an open meeting and barely got in to double figures of attending. If we want to aspire to owning our own club we need to work together and support groups like the Trust. All other complaints or obstacles to fan ownership are summountable, but until enough fans are willing to work together I fear we will always be at the whim of the fan who has money, or worse a guy who thinks we are simply are business.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 104
Mariner93er
November 13, 2017, 8:51am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
Let's not forget that Grimsby isn't exactly an affluent town. In fact it contains some of the poorest areas in the country. It seems highly unlikely to me that people would have anywhere near enough money to make this viable. It's ok pointing to other examples of clubs that have been successfully fan owned, but I'm willing to bet that these clubs are predominantly southern based with few northern examples.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC fan's ownership

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.