11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
heppy88
November 13, 2017, 10:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Some really good ideas being presented here.
I remember Operation Promotion first being mooted in a similar vein on the Fishy, then the trust stated something was in the pipe line. We all know what the outcome of that was.
If enough dedicated individuals came together to at least give the idea some serious thought, make some plans, visit other fan owned clubs and draw from their experiences, who knows what could happen? If someone had proposed that the fans could raise over 100 thousand pounds, many on here would have laughed at the prospect. But it happened, with a lot of dedication and generosity. Not only did we raise the money, but it did the trick, we were promoted!
What harm would come from giving this idea some serious consideration. Who knows, we may one day become a fan owned club?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 104
MuddyWaters
November 13, 2017, 10:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,173
Gold Stars: 232
Quoted from heppy88
Some really good ideas being presented here.
I remember Operation Promotion first being mooted in a similar vein on the Fishy, then the trust stated something was in the pipe line. We all know what the outcome of that was.
If enough dedicated individuals came together to at least give the idea some serious thought, make some plans, visit other fan owned clubs and draw from their experiences, who knows what could happen? If someone had proposed that the fans could raise over 100 thousand pounds, many on here would have laughed at the prospect. But it happened, with a lot of dedication and generosity. Not only did we raise the money, but it did the trick, we were promoted!
What harm would come from giving this idea some serious consideration. Who knows, we may one day become a fan owned club?

Apparently we already are - albeit a fan who doesn't respect other fans.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 104
KingstonMariner
November 13, 2017, 11:40pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from moosey_club
It gets better....first Barcelona as a model now FC United and Hereford.....

And the problem with that is?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 104
LH
November 15, 2017, 2:41pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,461
Gold Stars: 172
If only we had the cash up front to buy him out to at least give fan ownership a go after weeks like this!
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 104
davmariner
November 15, 2017, 3:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,901
Gold Stars: 78
Exeter are a fan-owned club. They've also found innovative ways of generating revenue at their current ground without needing the risks of having a new ground.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 104
Jaws
November 15, 2017, 8:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Many Town fans run and work in senior positions in large complex organisations, public, private and third sector. And people who have no managerial experience also have a lot to contribute to the running of a business.

I think your attitude is stuck in the 19th century.

And at the end of the day, GTFC is only turning over £3m a year with a few dozen employees. Hardly a mega-corporation.

Are any directors of the trust also directors of a company turning over a 7 figure sum? Have any individuals stepped forward? I think you'll find most qualified people are a bit preoccupied to take on another such role on an unpaid basis like John Fenty.

I think you're stuck in the 19th century if you think the topic of fan ownership should be on the table without a figure to spearhead such an effort.

Technically we are fan owned. Fenty didn't buy the club for a laugh, he was a fan and still is (despite decisions that I disagree with)
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 104
KingstonMariner
November 15, 2017, 9:25pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Jaws

Are any directors of the trust also directors of a company turning over a 7 figure sum? Have any individuals stepped forward? I think you'll find most qualified people are a bit preoccupied to take on another such role on an unpaid basis like John Fenty.

I think you're stuck in the 19th century if you think the topic of fan ownership should be on the table without a figure to spearhead such an effort.

Technically we are fan owned. Fenty didn't buy the club for a laugh, he was a fan and still is (despite decisions that I disagree with)

I don't dispute that John Fenty is a fan. But by fan ownership I mean ownership by fans as a collective body, with their representatives running the club. I don't know how that could be considered. The belief that only a few 'businessmen' could do such a thing, and that 'ordinary people' could not is ludicrously anachronistic. Modern business isn't about a few masters making decisions and many labouring workers carrying out mindless tasks. Things are much more fluid and more ambiguous now. As for a 'spearhead figure', again why do you need some form of hero figure? It would be totally the wrong thing for a collaborative, representative organisation.

I don't know about the skills of the individuals on the Trust board so cannot comment. As for people with the right skills being too busy, then the obvious answer is people who have retired. I'm sure there are also other imaginative solutions out there given the broader skillset that exists amongst fans and modern technology.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 104
barralad
November 15, 2017, 9:58pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,263
Gold Stars: 121
I've kept out of this thread but am happy belatedly to confirm that I have absolutely none of the skills needed to run a professional football club and although retired (which appears to mean I have loads of time) I have absolutely no interest in acquiring them.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 104
MuddyWaters
November 15, 2017, 10:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,173
Gold Stars: 232
Quoted from barralad
I've kept out of this thread but am happy belatedly to confirm that I have absolutely none of the skills needed to run a professional football club and although retired (which appears to mean I have loads of time) I have absolutely no interest in acquiring them.

Don't put yourself down Barra - I know one of Newport's directors and he's told me that their resurgence is due to having a wide variety of skills to call on rather than relying on the business nous (or otherwise) of individuals. He even went as far as to say that any egos are left at the boardroom door. I asked him if he would care to bring a flag with him when they visit BP!
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 104
mike_d
November 15, 2017, 10:34pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +383
Gold Stars: 4
Sounds like a kickstarter opportunity.

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC fan's ownership

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.