5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
MeanwoodMariner
April 11, 2017, 10:25am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I suspect previous experience has played a big part in this. With hindsight he gave Newell, Woods, and even Buckley III too much time. If Fenty was getting the vibe that this wasn't working out then he's probably decided he's not going to wait for things to go really wrong again. I definitely think it's a ballsy decision, not sure if it's the right one.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 45
grimsby pete
April 11, 2017, 10:33am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
I said a few weeks ago that Marcus was doing too much too soon,

If he thought he had time and he should have had more than 5 months,

He should have eased some small changes in slowly,

I think he baffled us all in some of his team selections and poor results followed,

The team he picked for the Doncaster game was the final straw for the board,

I presume it was a board decision and not just Fenty,

So I await a comment from the trust to inform us of the real reason he was sacked so soon,

BUT

He has gone now and I wish him all the best and I am sure he will have learnt from his mistakes here when he gets his next job,

What we have to do now is get behind the new manager whoever he may be and hope we have a great season to look forward to,

At least he will have a few games to see and meet the players before the close season and that has got to be a benefit,

Did the board act to soon ? only time will tell.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 45
forza ivano
April 11, 2017, 11:07am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,172
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Cloudy

I understand the 'rebel' players were representing the entire squad and included at least one of MB's signings!
I dont think it was about being unhappy about being out of the side, it was more that training was a shambles and amateur and for that reason the players felt they had a duty to the club to tell the board.

The board could have told them to do one and say the manager is in charge, or they could have sounded out people they trust like Mooro and to a degree Warrington and Woods before making a call based on long term stability.

I liked the idea of a younger up and coming manager, accepting that it was a learning curve and some mistakes would be made. Much better than a run of the mill serial failure. Russ Slade wouldnt be my first choice, not my a long chalk, but i will give him my support until I see reasons to be concerned should he be appointed.

this corresponds with stuff i've been hearing. jf may well have had doubts based upon what he's seen on and off the pitch.then a delegation of senior players, many of whom have served gtfc very loyally come to speak to him, which is highly unusual.if woods, moore and warrington backed up their concerns then it becomes difficult to ignore all that evidence (particularly as he knows slade is looking for a new job)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 45
Stranger in the Park
April 11, 2017, 11:46am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -189
Gold Stars: 7
Quite simply the selections,performances and results were mediocre at best. He spent the clubs money in a less than prudent way and the ambition was to remain a 4th level club. In a black and white world this was not good enough to compete in the highly charged world of expectation that is football. He might have been a big fish in a little puddle elsewhere but he simply was not good enough in reality to manage GTFC in the expected manner and I do applaud the boards decision.At least a new manager has the time to assess the squad before the summer turn around and hopefully aim a lot higher than mid table complacency.To wait any longer would have meant another wasted season next time round and I guarantee that attendances and income would drop like a stone accordingly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 45
MarinerDevil
April 11, 2017, 2:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,740
Gold Stars: 80
As a club, we are terrified of getting relegated again (and rightly so).  I think a combination of being hammered regularly and rumblings of dressing room unrest have spooked the board, who have decided that it is not worth the risk waiting until next season in the hope that these issues don't linger long enough to create another disaster.

Swapping Bignot for Slade is a fundamental change in philosophy and signals, for me, the board quickly abandoning the dream of long-term stability and slowly-does-it development of youth and facilities for a safety first approach.  I've no idea if it's the right thing to do; we can only live in hope.

I do have to echo Ginny's worries though.  This season has shown the club to be shambolic at best, and that can't all have been down to Bignot.  It's difficult to trust the board in whatever they decide to do next.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 45
golfer
April 11, 2017, 2:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ginnywings

I am also a season ticket holder and i totally disagree with you. Doesn't much matter now as the MB detractors are happy.

All i know is that we get it wrong way more often than we get it right and i have no faith that bringing in a new manager will make much difference if past choices are anything to go by.

Completely agree with all your posts on this matter Ginny
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 45
dicko995
April 13, 2017, 3:22am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
Best decision of the year, pleased hes gone, never liked him,too smarmy to us fans, never kept the same team,clueless,out of his depth, players sick of his bullying,so now we have good times ahead, happy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 45
ginnywings
April 13, 2017, 8:29am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from dicko995
Best decision of the year, pleased hes gone, never liked him,too smarmy to us fans, never kept the same team,clueless,out of his depth, players sick of his bullying,so now we have good times ahead, happy.

Maybe.

Changing managers is no guarantee. We all know that if nothing else.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 45
Freemoash88
April 13, 2017, 8:39am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
Well said  jonnyboy. Great post
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 45
TheGoalKipper
April 13, 2017, 11:47am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from sam gy
Quick word re-Disley. I LOVE the guy, but i think we really need to think about moving on there. He's been an absolute stalwart, a club legend forever, but he was never going to be a first team regular this season. He wasn't under Hurst, and he wasn't under Bignot.

Using his name as a reason for wanting Bignot out is a bit embarrassing for me...we need to move on if we're gonna move forward.

If it was in his interests i'd love to have him as a player coach for next season, but we've got to stop with the kicking off every time he's not picked!

Can anybody coach?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Credit from me Mr fenty

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.