5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
April 11, 2017, 8:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Now I understand some will criticise you for sacking Marcus after six months in charge and will clearly be on the negative charge for you doing this but I give you credit and balls for making such a decision.

Some will say the timing is ridiculous , I disagree you needed to do it now to give the new man time to assess the squad so he can ship out half the unneeded midfielders we have now.

Our captain Craig disley was treat appalling under marcus , arguably our most committed player who still had a big part to play was just cast aside for what reason ? Gavin gunning or Chris Clements ? Do me a favour this guy plays ahead of them two all day long.

The hammerings we would also take every other week was a massive concern , we were either just going to give up on the pitch or before we even turned up , now that was a big concern.

The formations and line ups , what the hell was all that about this chap would make it up as he went along and some of the line ups and tactics under him especially at home were just a joke.

The sending out of Rhys Browne and Ashley chambers before they hardly kicked a ball under him was a farce , these guys never even had a chance and Rhys Browne went on to be a good player for Macclesfield and certainly something we could have done with.

The way Marcus treat the players as I said last week was I imagine a big reason behind John's decision as I know this was very poor man management and many senior players were just at a loss as to what was going on and it got to a very bad stage at one point.

The way we were going was a big concern for me and others I sit with at the ground and you get nothing but credit from me John fenty for making this hard decision now and no one can certainly say you you left it to late this time..

We were 8th when he was appointed and he left when we were 14th , make of that what you will.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
crusty ole pie
April 11, 2017, 8:33am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,326
Gold Stars: 66
and me mr fenty is not a man to admit mistakes but yesterday sacking is surely a sign on this occasion he got it wrong and he has acted quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 45
MuddyWaters
April 11, 2017, 8:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
He won't get any credit from me unless he comes clean and tells the fans why. For far too long, curious decisions have gone unexplained and that includes since the Trust have had a seat at the boardroom table. Whether you approve of yesterday's decision or not, it's about time the paying fans were treated with a bit more respect.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 45
moosey_club
April 11, 2017, 8:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from crusty ole pie
and me mr fenty is not a man to admit mistakes but yesterday sacking is surely a sign on this occasion he got it wrong and he has acted quickly

potentially twice in a week as he already admitted this week that talking up the Checkatrade was "foolhardy" so maybe...as its Easter...its a time for miracles !!

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 45
dapperz fun pub
April 11, 2017, 8:58am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,928
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from MuddyWaters
He won't get any credit from me unless he comes clean and tells the fans why. For far too long, curious decisions have gone unexplained and that includes since the Trust have had a seat at the boardroom table. Whether you approve of yesterday's decision or not, it's about time the paying fans were treated with a bit more respect.

Honest open statement from the club required but I won't hold my breath ... and as for the trust slowly becoming part of the circus
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 45
1mickylyons
April 11, 2017, 9:05am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
The timing is correct were safe the guy wasn`t working out and this allows someone to come in and see the players weve got play in competitive games before the Season ends. Regardless of who we appoint League 2 has looked a pretty poor league all Season and I expect Town to make the Play Offs next Season. I base that on we have a half decent squad that needs 3-4 additions,we have money (Bogle fee) a decent fanbase at League 2 level and the wheels in motion finally for a new ground.GTFC are on the up and JF called this right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 45
gtfc98
April 11, 2017, 9:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Don't say this often Jonny but have to agree. I don't take any joy in seeing someone lose their job but it just wasn't working out here. Some of the decisions he made were bonkers. Playing Gunning in midfield when you've got Disley, Comley, McAllister (and even Maxwell) sat on the bench or in the stands. Hailing players coming back from injury as being "like a new signing" and then never giving them any game time. His treatment of Disley and Macca, his squad of 30 midfield players with no widemen. Playing a loan striker from Everton who's never going to be here next season while leaving permanent signings out of the side. Sorry Marcus but you had to go, I wish you all the best for the future though and hope you will be a success elsewhere.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 45
ginnywings
April 11, 2017, 9:10am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
All it shows me is that the board got it wrong again but some are hailing it as brave because it aligns with their view that MB was a clueless idiot. I don't think he was and the rebel players should have been told where to go.

So, the outstanding candidate 5 months ago is now sacked and some are seeing that as a positive? I'm dismayed and annoyed this morning.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 45
dapperz fun pub
April 11, 2017, 9:11am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,928
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from ginnywings
All it shows me is that the board got it wrong again but some are hailing it as brave because it aligns with their view that MB was a clueless idiot. I don't think he was and the rebel players should have been told where to go.

So, the outstanding candidate 5 months ago is now sacked and some are seeing that as a positive? I'm dismayed and annoyed this morning.

Whs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 45
1mickylyons
April 11, 2017, 9:13am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from ginnywings

Well I was dismayed and annoyed having paid for a Season ticket and seeing our Manager whilst still being in with a chance of the Play Offs sending out a team in a local Derby full of square pegs for round holes.He was a clueless idiot.Your view on the players is difficult to argue with though they have to much power but ultimately they may have saved us from oblivion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 45
ginnywings
April 11, 2017, 9:29am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Well I was dismayed and annoyed having paid for a Season ticket and seeing our Manager whilst still being in with a chance of the Play Offs sending out a team in a local Derby full of square pegs for round holes.He was a clueless idiot.Your view on the players is difficult to argue with though they have to much power but ultimately they may have saved us from oblivion.

I am also a season ticket holder and i totally disagree with you. Doesn't much matter now as the MB detractors are happy.

All i know is that we get it wrong way more often than we get it right and i have no faith that bringing in a new manager will make much difference if past choices are anything to go by.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 45
Mariner93er
April 11, 2017, 9:43am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
I'm sorry but how is sending people out on loan, and not playing people treating them badly, if he didn't see them in his long term plans. It happens at every football club for Christ sake. If that truly is the basis for the 'Players revolt', then they can genuinely urine off. I highly doubt they will get a look in under a new manager either, so then what will they do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 45
Bigdog
April 11, 2017, 9:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from ginnywings

I understand some supporters fears after a few alarming defeats playing experimental sides but I totally agree with you Ginny.

If it was a purely footballing decision why MB got the sack, then I would say it was far too early for anyone to make that judgement.Fifteen games into next season would be about right.No full pre-season, no summer transfer window to get his squad together. And.. he lost Bogle. I think MB was over ambitious for this season and if he knew he had five months to prove himself he would have done things differently. After five months we can all say that we will never know whether MB would have been a success or not. We can all have an informed guess but we'll never be able to say for sure.

Up until yesterday I was still on the fence and intrigued as to how the summer transfer window and beginning of next season would go..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 45
RoboCod
April 11, 2017, 9:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from ginnywings

Exactly as how I see it. I'm pretty unnerved by the situation as a whole down at BP. We'll never really know if MB's plan was flawed or if it would come to fruition next season, so neither will we know if those players who allegedly went to Fenty with their concerns were right. If true, is it really right to praise these players ? To praise Fenty for keeping them happy? We're in unchartered waters here, how come we suddenly have such a vocal dressing room?

Why didn't we have players to step into Fenty's office and display alarm at him considering employing Woodsy after his awful caretaker experiment?

My faith in Fenty is low, here we have him (possibly) taking on Slade when we don't need him, after the bad blood created after he blanked Slade when we DID need him.
Just feeling flat and dissapointed that as we enter the final run-in of out first season back in the league the main threads are about securing Dave Moore as a safe pair of hands or how boring Slade-ball will be, forever tied to this cycle of mediocrity/dashed hopes by some bleedin' benign loans.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 45
TownSNAFU5
April 11, 2017, 9:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
I hope that the new manager gives a chance to the good young players coming through.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 45
headingly_mariner
April 11, 2017, 9:55am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings

I dont think he was ever the outstanding candidate, more best of a bad bunch of realistic targets. He clearly tried to change too much too soon and he didn't need to. He should never have been allowed to make such drastic changes and I can't believe the board gave him such a free reign in January.

It's not a success for the board, it's the abrupt end of another sorry mess. There has been murmurings of dressing room issues and we have all seen the bizarre experimental line ups and formations.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 45
TAGG
April 11, 2017, 9:57am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Has MB said anything yet????

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 45
Mariner93er
April 11, 2017, 10:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
What concerns me also, is that we may have sacrificed our long term development through the short sightedness of short term results. Bignot made it clear that he wanted to develop the whole club, and you can say he was full of hot air, but his history suggests not with this. His history also suggests he started slow in other jobs as he made big changes, but once he had finished them, he took the club's to unprecedented levels. We can all say we could have made the play offs, but what if we had got promoted? Would we really be developed enough and have the infrastructure to be in anyway competitive in the long term there? I feel bignot was intelligent enough to see that these factors needed dealing with, before any promotion could be achieved.

In terms of on the pitch, it often seemed confusing. But I always got the feeling he was testing players adaptability, and their ability to play out of their comfort zone. Basically experiments to see who could handle the flexibility to play more attacking football. Whether it would have worked or not we'll never know. But I would have liked to have found out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 45
sam gy
April 11, 2017, 10:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,476
Gold Stars: 55

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 45
GrimRob
April 11, 2017, 10:01am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
I hope that the new manager gives a chance to the good young players coming through.  

I'd say that's unlikely given that they have a few months at most to make an impression they are not going to be interested in anything but short term because if they don't get the short term right there isn't going to a medium or long term. Once they've been in the job for a couple of years then they may be more responsive to long-term needs.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 45
ginnywings
April 11, 2017, 10:02am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from RoboCod

Exactly as how I see it. I'm pretty unnerved by the situation as a whole down at BP. We'll never really know if MB's plan was flawed or if it would come to fruition next season, so neither will we know if those players who allegedly went to Fenty with their concerns were right. If true, is it really right to praise these players ? To praise Fenty for keeping them happy? We're in unchartered waters here, how come we suddenly have such a vocal dressing room?

Why didn't we have players to step into Fenty's office and display alarm at him considering employing Woodsy after his awful caretaker experiment?

My faith in Fenty is low, here we have him (possibly) taking on Slade when we don't need him, after the bad blood created after he blanked Slade when we DID need him.
Just feeling flat and dissapointed that as we enter the final run-in of out first season back in the league the main threads are about securing Dave Moore as a safe pair of hands or how boring Slade-ball will be, forever tied to this cycle of mediocrity/dashed hopes by some bleedin' benign loans.

Yep, it seems like to be a GTFC fan, you need very broad shoulders. Last season ended in promotion and this has turned into a circus, with us about to employ our third manager of the season. We can't even get success right.

As for the rebel players, i bet we can all guess who they were and to be honest, most of them wouldn't be missed. Pearson would be a loss and so too Collins and Andrew, but none of them are irreplaceable and there is no guarantee they will now stay anyway.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 45
sam gy
April 11, 2017, 10:08am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Mariner93er
What concerns me also, is that we may have sacrificed our long term development through the short sightedness of short term results. Bignot made it clear that he wanted to develop the whole club, and you can say he was full of hot air, but his history suggests not with this. His history also suggests he started slow in other jobs as he made big changes, but once he had finished them, he took the club's to unprecedented levels. We can all say we could have made the play offs, but what if we had got promoted? Would we really be developed enough and have the infrastructure to be in anyway competitive in the long term there? I feel bignot was intelligent enough to see that these factors needed dealing with, before any promotion could be achieved.

In terms of on the pitch, it often seemed confusing. But I always got the feeling he was testing players adaptability, and their ability to play out of their comfort zone. Basically experiments to see who could handle the flexibility to play more attacking football. Whether it would have worked or not we'll never know. But I would have liked to have found out.

Obviously don't know the full story, but from the outside, I agree.

Either way it's a complete member up from the board, surely? Either back the man, or don't employ him in the first place.

He chopped and changed a lot, especially once playoffs seemed in doubt, but he was pretty open about his reasons why (with an eye on next season), and he obviously thought he had time and this was a long term project, having passed the first hurdle of establishing us as a League 2 club after 6 years out.

God knows....will be interesting to see how this pans out and if we get an honest explanation from the board.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 45
ginnywings
April 11, 2017, 10:13am

Recovering Alcoholic
Having read the MB interview in the Telegraph, i'm even more annoyed. He was looking long term and thought he had time, so feels he has been duped and that's what i think as a fan. Told it wasn't about results and his remit was to be in the league next year, which he achieved comfortably. I think he has been hard done to and i very much think all this has come about because of short termism. I really do think we have made a mistake by not seeing this through and at least giving him a pre season and a good chunk of next.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 45
sam gy
April 11, 2017, 10:14am
Cocktail Drinker
Quick word re-Disley. I LOVE the guy, but i think we really need to think about moving on there. He's been an absolute stalwart, a club legend forever, but he was never going to be a first team regular this season. He wasn't under Hurst, and he wasn't under Bignot.

Using his name as a reason for wanting Bignot out is a bit embarrassing for me...we need to move on if we're gonna move forward.

If it was in his interests i'd love to have him as a player coach for next season, but we've got to stop with the kicking off every time he's not picked!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 45
RoboCod
April 11, 2017, 10:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Agree. The GET interview doesn't prove anyone right, or wrong,  but it puts MB, or at least his intentions in a good light.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 45
sam gy
April 11, 2017, 10:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Having read the MB interview in the Telegraph, i'm even more annoyed. He was looking long term and thought he had time, so feels he has been duped and that's what i think as a fan. Told it wasn't about results and his remit was to be in the league next year, which he achieved comfortably. I think he has been hard done to and i very much think all this has come about because of short termism. I really do think we have made a mistake by not seeing this through and at least giving him a pre season and a good chunk of next.

Either way you look at it, one manager has left us, and one manager has been sacked after 5 months this season - both whilst in a pretty comfortable league position, after bringing a load of new players in.

I've never been one to voice much of an anti-board stance, but something doesn't seem right there. I just hope we get the next appointment right and we can kick on from there.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 45
Perkins
April 11, 2017, 10:19am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
I've read the GET  interview. My Opinion?  He's gone , but still waffling.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 45
Cloudy
April 11, 2017, 10:20am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from ginnywings

Yep, it seems like to be a GTFC fan, you need very broad shoulders. Last season ended in promotion and this has turned into a circus, with us about to employ our third manager of the season. We can't even get success right.

As for the rebel players, i bet we can all guess who they were and to be honest, most of them wouldn't be missed. Pearson would be a loss and so too Collins and Andrew, but none of them are irreplaceable and there is no guarantee they will now stay anyway.

I understand the 'rebel' players were representing the entire squad and included at least one of MB's signings!
I dont think it was about being unhappy about being out of the side, it was more that training was a shambles and amateur and for that reason the players felt they had a duty to the club to tell the board.

The board could have told them to do one and say the manager is in charge, or they could have sounded out people they trust like Mooro and to a degree Warrington and Woods before making a call based on long term stability.

I liked the idea of a younger up and coming manager, accepting that it was a learning curve and some mistakes would be made. Much better than a run of the mill serial failure. Russ Slade wouldnt be my first choice, not my a long chalk, but i will give him my support until I see reasons to be concerned should he be appointed.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 45
Hagrid
April 11, 2017, 10:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,378
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Cloudy

I understand the 'rebel' players were representing the entire squad and included at least one of MB's signings!
I dont think it was about being unhappy about being out of the side, it was more that training was a shambles and amateur and for that reason the players felt they had a duty to the club to tell the board.

The board could have told them to do one and say the manager is in charge, or they could have sounded out people they trust like Mooro and to a degree Warrington and Woods before making a call based on long term stability.

I liked the idea of a younger up and coming manager, accepting that it was a learning curve and some mistakes would be made. Much better than a run of the mill serial failure. Russ Slade wouldnt be my first choice, not my a long chalk, but i will give him my support until I see reasons to be concerned should he be appointed.

im pleased. it shows the players care which is not a bad thing, i never took to MB and his stupid waffling and i am pleased he's gone, i felt we were on a crash course with disaster
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 45
April 11, 2017, 10:23am
Guest User
Quoted from Perkins
I've read the GET  interview. My Opinion?  He's gone , but still waffling.

I agree.

Mr Bignot is a talker and will apply a gloss to the situation that reflects favourably on himself. Because he has to in order that his next employers can look for the positives.

Reply: 29 - 45
MeanwoodMariner
April 11, 2017, 10:25am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I suspect previous experience has played a big part in this. With hindsight he gave Newell, Woods, and even Buckley III too much time. If Fenty was getting the vibe that this wasn't working out then he's probably decided he's not going to wait for things to go really wrong again. I definitely think it's a ballsy decision, not sure if it's the right one.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 45
grimsby pete
April 11, 2017, 10:33am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
I said a few weeks ago that Marcus was doing too much too soon,

If he thought he had time and he should have had more than 5 months,

He should have eased some small changes in slowly,

I think he baffled us all in some of his team selections and poor results followed,

The team he picked for the Doncaster game was the final straw for the board,

I presume it was a board decision and not just Fenty,

So I await a comment from the trust to inform us of the real reason he was sacked so soon,

BUT

He has gone now and I wish him all the best and I am sure he will have learnt from his mistakes here when he gets his next job,

What we have to do now is get behind the new manager whoever he may be and hope we have a great season to look forward to,

At least he will have a few games to see and meet the players before the close season and that has got to be a benefit,

Did the board act to soon ? only time will tell.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 45
forza ivano
April 11, 2017, 11:07am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,156
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Cloudy

this corresponds with stuff i've been hearing. jf may well have had doubts based upon what he's seen on and off the pitch.then a delegation of senior players, many of whom have served gtfc very loyally come to speak to him, which is highly unusual.if woods, moore and warrington backed up their concerns then it becomes difficult to ignore all that evidence (particularly as he knows slade is looking for a new job)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 45
Stranger in the Park
April 11, 2017, 11:46am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -189
Gold Stars: 7
Quite simply the selections,performances and results were mediocre at best. He spent the clubs money in a less than prudent way and the ambition was to remain a 4th level club. In a black and white world this was not good enough to compete in the highly charged world of expectation that is football. He might have been a big fish in a little puddle elsewhere but he simply was not good enough in reality to manage GTFC in the expected manner and I do applaud the boards decision.At least a new manager has the time to assess the squad before the summer turn around and hopefully aim a lot higher than mid table complacency.To wait any longer would have meant another wasted season next time round and I guarantee that attendances and income would drop like a stone accordingly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 45
MarinerDevil
April 11, 2017, 2:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,737
Gold Stars: 80
As a club, we are terrified of getting relegated again (and rightly so).  I think a combination of being hammered regularly and rumblings of dressing room unrest have spooked the board, who have decided that it is not worth the risk waiting until next season in the hope that these issues don't linger long enough to create another disaster.

Swapping Bignot for Slade is a fundamental change in philosophy and signals, for me, the board quickly abandoning the dream of long-term stability and slowly-does-it development of youth and facilities for a safety first approach.  I've no idea if it's the right thing to do; we can only live in hope.

I do have to echo Ginny's worries though.  This season has shown the club to be shambolic at best, and that can't all have been down to Bignot.  It's difficult to trust the board in whatever they decide to do next.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 45
golfer
April 11, 2017, 2:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,427
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from ginnywings

I am also a season ticket holder and i totally disagree with you. Doesn't much matter now as the MB detractors are happy.

All i know is that we get it wrong way more often than we get it right and i have no faith that bringing in a new manager will make much difference if past choices are anything to go by.

Completely agree with all your posts on this matter Ginny
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 45
dicko995
April 13, 2017, 3:22am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
Best decision of the year, pleased hes gone, never liked him,too smarmy to us fans, never kept the same team,clueless,out of his depth, players sick of his bullying,so now we have good times ahead, happy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 45
ginnywings
April 13, 2017, 8:29am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from dicko995
Best decision of the year, pleased hes gone, never liked him,too smarmy to us fans, never kept the same team,clueless,out of his depth, players sick of his bullying,so now we have good times ahead, happy.

Maybe.

Changing managers is no guarantee. We all know that if nothing else.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 45
Freemoash88
April 13, 2017, 8:39am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
Well said  jonnyboy. Great post
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 45
TheGoalKipper
April 13, 2017, 11:47am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from sam gy
Quick word re-Disley. I LOVE the guy, but i think we really need to think about moving on there. He's been an absolute stalwart, a club legend forever, but he was never going to be a first team regular this season. He wasn't under Hurst, and he wasn't under Bignot.

Using his name as a reason for wanting Bignot out is a bit embarrassing for me...we need to move on if we're gonna move forward.

If it was in his interests i'd love to have him as a player coach for next season, but we've got to stop with the kicking off every time he's not picked!

Can anybody coach?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 45
Garth
April 13, 2017, 12:27pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from forza ivano

this corresponds with stuff i've been hearing. jf may well have had doubts based upon what he's seen on and off the pitch.then a delegation of senior players, many of whom have served gtfc very loyally come to speak to him, which is highly unusual.if woods, moore and warrington backed up their concerns then it becomes difficult to ignore all that evidence (particularly as he knows slade is looking for a new job)

He would not have needed much persuasion after sitting in the Upper Findus watching that crap week after week,
John Tondeur can throw his wellies away now, paddling in bull sh1t during every interview
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 45
rancido
April 13, 2017, 7:33pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quite simply the selections,performances and results were mediocre at best. He spent the clubs money in a less than prudent way and the ambition was to remain a 4th level club. In a black and white world this was not good enough to compete in the highly charged world of expectation that is football. He might have been a big fish in a little puddle elsewhere but he simply was not good enough in reality to manage GTFC in the expected manner and I do applaud the boards decision.At least a new manager has the time to assess the squad before the summer turn around and hopefully aim a lot higher than mid table complacency.To wait any longer would have meant another wasted season next time round and I guarantee that attendances and income would drop like a stone accordingly.

Do you mean MB's ambition or the clubs? If you mean MB then he clearly stated he was building a squad for a determined push for promotion next season or the one after. If you mean the club then why replace MB with RS who has never had a team promoted in his career. Fans may say he took us to a play-off final but for long periods that season we were in an automatic promotion place and it could be argued that he " bottled it " in the end

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 45
headingly_mariner
April 13, 2017, 7:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
If you'd told me last week we could be rid of Bignot, then have Slade and wilko in post this week I'd have snapped your hand off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 45
lew chaterleys lover
April 13, 2017, 8:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,714
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from headingly_mariner
If you'd told me last week we could be rid of Bignot, then have Slade and wilko in post this week I'd have snapped your hand off.

Summed it up in one sentence!
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 45
HertsGTFC
April 13, 2017, 8:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from headingly_mariner

This

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 45
sydney
April 13, 2017, 8:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
I'm pleased MB is gone as it got harder and harder to continue to believe in him
We where going backwards and we should Be thankfull the board had the balls to admit it and act
U can see why they want to spare us All the gory details
Slade and Wilko may not be exciting but it's secure and hopefully Slade will know he owes it to us to get promoted into lg1 asap
And we can all name the 8 or so players who will possibly be on there way
Onwards and Upwards Town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 45
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Credit from me Mr fenty

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.