8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
March 5, 2015, 4:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Hurst obviously just doesn't fancy McLaughlin as he's rarely been played centrally during his time at the club.

I'm not exactly a great fan of his (my views are similar to those of BIGChris), but agree he should probably have had a bit more game time this season, especially as the form of both Clay and Brown has been indifferent at times, to say the least.

He'll obviously be on his way at the end of the season so probably good for him to get some football somewhere as he's not getting a look in here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 73
grimsby pete
March 5, 2015, 4:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222

I could be wrong about humble. My bad. Watson,winfarrah,walker and paddy

I am sure I saw Humble warming up before the Barnet game,

There was about  four of them that were not on the subs bench.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 73
grimsby pete
March 5, 2015, 4:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Is that four lads out on loan at the minute then? Humble,winfarrah,walker and now paddy. Does this mean a new arrival soon?

A friend told me he saw Fenty talking to Ched Evans and Adam Johnson at a service station.  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 73
chaos33
March 5, 2015, 4:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Chrisblor

He played him out of position at the start of the season, then played him as part of a midfield three with Brown and Clay for 3 games. In those 3 games we won 6-1, 7-0 and were all over Aldershot and should have been ahead before John-Lewis got himself sent off for a daft second yellow and caused us to change formation. Since then, McLaughlin has mainly featured as a sub, and he's only played 54 minutes in the league since October! Hurst has been on record saying that unfavoured players need to impress him when they get a chance in the squad - McLaughlin's last start came in the Trophy against Gateshead when he scored a great goal and was one of our better performers. What does Hurst do after that? He drops him!

One of the biggest reservations supporters have this season is the lack of entertainment and the defensive manner in which we set up at home. If Hurst had been more adventurous, stuck with the midfield 3 which saw some of our best performances this season and played McLaughlin in central midfield a bit more I reckon we wouldn't have thrown anywhere near as many points away at home. Of course this isn't something I can quantify, is only my opinion and by no means am I suggesting he's a world beater, but I'd certainly be a bit miffed if I was McLaughlin - especially when certain players find themselves in the starting 11 every game regardless of how poor or ineffective their recent performances have been.

Whether I'm biased or not, absolutely this. Spot on. A total waste of a good player and  resource. It staggers me that Hurst could fail to see what he would offer a side set up with attacking intent.
The loan will allow him to play games and get match fit. Longer term he'll be back at conference or L2 level.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 73
Vance Warner
March 5, 2015, 4:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,795
Gold Stars: 102
Another player who seems to get better when he's not playing. I was one of the few who went to Gateshead and despite a cracking goal he offered little else. I suspect he's found his level but let's not miss out on an opportunity for a bit of Hurst bashing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 73
Chrisblor
March 5, 2015, 4:49pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,790
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Vance Warner
Another player who seems to get better when he's not playing. I was one of the few who went to Gateshead and despite a cracking goal he offered little else. I suspect he's found his level but let's not miss out on an opportunity for a bit of Hurst bashing.

Have I suggested this? No. Have I tried to quantify my reasoning with evidence that some of our best performances this season have come when McLaughlin has been played in his favoured position in a similar formation to the one he excelled for York in and made a reasonable assertion that Hurst isn't adventurous enough in the way he sets the team up at home? Yes I have. I wasn't at the Gateshead trophy game, but it sounded like a poor team performance all-round, and McLaughlin's goal was the highlight. I certainly wouldn't suggest that Ross Hannah (who I presume you are also inferring gets better when he's not playing) merits more playing time this season.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 73
AlanPoutonsTackle
March 5, 2015, 4:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +57
Quoted from Chrisblor

He played him out of position at the start of the season, then played him as part of a midfield three with Brown and Clay for 3 games. In those 3 games we won 6-1, 7-0 and were all over Aldershot and should have been ahead before John-Lewis got himself sent off for a daft second yellow and caused us to change formation. Since then, McLaughlin has mainly featured as a sub, and he's only played 54 minutes in the league since October! Hurst has been on record saying that unfavoured players need to impress him when they get a chance in the squad - McLaughlin's last start came in the Trophy against Gateshead when he scored a great goal and was one of our better performers. What does Hurst do after that? He drops him!

One of the biggest reservations supporters have this season is the lack of entertainment and the defensive manner in which we set up at home. If Hurst had been more adventurous, stuck with the midfield 3 which saw some of our best performances this season and played McLaughlin in central midfield a bit more I reckon we wouldn't have thrown anywhere near as many points away at home. Of course this isn't something I can quantify, is only my opinion and by no means am I suggesting he's a world beater, but I'd certainly be a bit miffed if I was McLaughlin - especially when certain players find themselves in the starting 11 every game regardless of how poor or ineffective their recent performances have been.

Right understand all that. I thought you were talking about training with youth team or something. From watching Paddy he has flattered to deceive at times and has been played out of position in my opinion because PH has probably tried to get something more out of him. he has played well in some games but sometimes does go missing. Your right he should he been kept in after Gateshead however I think if we are playing a big strong side Paddy is a little lightweight, especially if we want Dis to push on a little bit we then need something of a more holding mid.
I think he has deserved more not counting we aren't privy to things like attitude in training. Not sure he's been treated badly, just not fancied enough by the manager, rightly or wrongly. I think rightly if we had players that were much better, unfortunately not sure we have.

"With a minute to go Buckley said keep it in the corner, I thought he meant the top corner." - Jim Dobbin
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 73
DocTower
March 5, 2015, 5:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Square pegs in round holes again  . Everyone has the favourites and their not so , had the potential  , if played in right position . In my opinion another  wasted player  who could have,  if given the chance  .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 73
ginnywings
March 5, 2015, 5:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
It does beg the question of why we pursued him and gave him a 2 year deal, when most of our recent signings get 1.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 73
FishOutOfWater
March 5, 2015, 5:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from ginnywings
It does beg the question of why we pursued him and gave him a 2 year deal, when most of our recent signings get 1.  

Wasn't he signed at the time when Scott and Hurst wanted the 4-3-3 system to prevail, that is at the start of last season (when Scott turned on Tondeur for asking about the formation)

Maybe once Scott went and Hurst reverted to 4-4-2, Paddy was just surplus to requirements?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paddy Mc

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.