KingstonMariner
March 6, 2015, 10:52pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from barralad

Sorry, I'm struggling with the assertion that the views of people about a players worth (I'm assuming you mean some fans) have somehow more credence than those of the professional manager who sees what they do in a training situation.

Stop writing between the lines. Where did I say fans views were worth more than the manager's? What I actually said was that I would sooner judge a player on his performances on the pitch rather than on what another person assumed the manager had seen in training. People in all walks of life might perform well in training but fail to perform well in the real job.

Given your comment about "the professional manager", would I be right to conclude that you wouldn't hold with any criticism of any manager because he is in the job and fans are not? If not, when does it become OK to criticise? Does the rule apply to all walks of life - if you're paid to do a job you're immune from criticism?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 73
nickmariners
March 6, 2015, 11:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It's all very well monitoring players in training, but it's what they do in competitive games that really counts. Some players just turn it on for real games and some fade in them. So for me, I'm happy that people judge a player by what they see in competitive games, not what the manager might see in training.

How would you propose a team be selected from a squad then?  Every player in a squad won't have had a 'competitive game' every week.  

I understand that you are a critic of the manager - but he is paid to make assessment from all the evidence he can gather, and select the team he thinks will do best.

Obviously performance in competitive games counts as a selection criteria - but, on that point, Paddy, skilful player though he can be, has faded out in the admittedly few matches he played this season.  I didn't see the Gateshead goal - sounded great, and I've seen several good passages of play involving him.  But - this thread isn't really about Paddy Mc is it?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 73
chaos33
March 7, 2015, 7:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
For anyone interested, Paddy played the full 90 minutes of Harrogate's 2-1 win over Gloucester City today. He looked the best footballer by a mile in what was a physical game on a sh1t pitch.

Paul Walker was an unused sub.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 73
AlanPoutonsTackle
March 7, 2015, 11:49pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +57
Quoted from AlanPoutonsTackle

No such player at Mansfield. At least not in the first team squad

How the F*** does passing on some information get a X. There are some Saddo's on here.

"With a minute to go Buckley said keep it in the corner, I thought he meant the top corner." - Jim Dobbin
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paddy Mc

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.