jonnyboy82
March 5, 2015, 8:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Vance Warner
Another player who seems to get better when he's not playing. I was one of the few who went to Gateshead and despite a cracking goal he offered little else. I suspect he's found his level but let's not miss out on an opportunity for a bit of Hurst bashing.

Was he left mid or left back for that game ?

You are talking about a player who has never been given a chance in his best position.

Hurst deserves every bit of criticism for not giving the lad a chance.

He is one of the best midfielders in our league and I have seen for myself  what the lad can do when he basically took the urine out of us a couple of seasons ago.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 73
Rodley Mariner
March 5, 2015, 8:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Hurst has seen him every day in training and doesn't fancy him. Obviously has talent but never quite imposes himself enough for me. Certainly never seen enough to suggest we should set up specifically to accomodate him and if we play two in the middle him and Disley doesn't work and I'd pick Disley every time. Probably just not the right type for our manager and fairly instructive that another 'pragmatic' manager in Nigel Worthington didn't fancy him either. Hope the loan goes well for him as who knows what the rest of the season might bring.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 73
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 5, 2015, 9:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,813
Gold Stars: 178
Chdajatl  

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 73
KingstonMariner
March 5, 2015, 10:20pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Another player that Hurst was involved in signing then doesn't play.  If he ain't good enough, why bring him in. If he's not suited to the system of play why sign him?

Either he's good enough or not, or he's the right player for the system or not. Either way it's Hurst's choice. He can't avoid criticism.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 73
Les Brechin
March 5, 2015, 10:29pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,700
Gold Stars: 174
Does every thread have to turn into a Hurst bashing one.

For me it's a great move for both player and club. He's not getting games here at the moment, so he needs to get games under his belt elsewhere. I'm sure he'll play regularly for Harrogate and if anything happens to anyone then I'm sure we'll be able to recall him immediately and he'll go into the team with a few games behind him rather than coming into the team cold having not played for a number of weeks.

One of the first rules of football is that you should never change a winning team, so hopefully we won't have to recall him.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 73
jonnyboy82
March 5, 2015, 10:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Les Brechin

For me it's a great move for both player and club. He's not getting games here at the moment, so he needs to get games under his belt elsewhere. I'm sure he'll play regularly for Harrogate and if anything happens to anyone then I'm sure we'll be able to recall him immediately and he'll go into the team with a few games behind him rather than coming into the team cold having not played for a number of weeks.

One of the first rules of football is that you should never change a winning team, so hopefully we won't have to recall him.

Rubbish.

He could go out on loan play every game score in every game and come back and still not get a game.

He has not got a future here and we know it,  hurst would much rather have clay who I still to this day have no idea what anyone sees in him play ahead of him.

Regarding hurst bashing , I'm not bashing him I'm saying I don't like him never will and that's my opinion.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 73
EY Mariner
March 5, 2015, 10:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
The irony in all this is that when the 4-3-3 system wasn't working, the clamour was to revert to a 4-4-2. Now we're playing 4-4-2, in an effective but apparently unsatisfactory manner, the clamour is to switch again to accommodate apparently better players. The manager cannot win.

I accept there may well be a valid point about opportunities but, personally, I think Paddy is a better player in a midfield three and I would be concerned about going into a big game with him in a central pair. It seems eminently sensible to me for him to take this chance to get some games and at least be match sharp if the call comes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 73
nickmariners
March 5, 2015, 11:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Was he left mid or left back for that game ?

You are talking about a player who has never been given a chance in his best position.

Hurst deserves every bit of criticism for not giving the lad a chance.

He is one of the best midfielders in our league and I have seen for myself  what the lad can do when he basically took the urine out of us a couple of seasons ago.

Although I like Paddy Mc, he does tend to fade away.  Anyway, it's not about giving players a "chance" - it's about picking what the manager thinks is the best side to do the job in hand, as he sees it.  Hurst, a professional manager, gets to see the players training all week long and makes decisions based on that.   More specious criticism.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 73
KingstonMariner
March 6, 2015, 1:24am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from nickmariners

Although I like Paddy Mc, he does tend to fade away.  Anyway, it's not about giving players a "chance" - it's about picking what the manager thinks is the best side to do the job in hand, as he sees it.  Hurst, a professional manager, gets to see the players training all week long and makes decisions based on that.   More specious criticism.

It's all very well monitoring players in training, but it's what they do in competitive games that really counts. Some players just turn it on for real games and some fade in them. So for me, I'm happy that people judge a player by what they see in competitive games, not what the manager might see in training.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 73
KingstonMariner
March 6, 2015, 1:40am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

No. It's just that for several people the manager's decisions are sometimes questionable. There are plenty of  "non-Hurst bashing" threads. The minute you get down to discussing players and tactics then there's got to be room for debate and disagreement.

So someone reports something about a player. That's news. But hey, that information is available through other channels and this is a message board where people post opinions. What are they expected to say. "Oh, that's interesting" and leave it at that? Or can people express an opinion provided it's of the "good decision by Hurst" variety?

I'm not so sure that the argument that it's a good thing Paddy is going to get game time holds much water. If he were a youngster that needed building up I can understand, or if he was coming back from a long term injury. In this case it smacks more of "player not wanted." If he's that far down the pecking order he can be released on loan, it's not likely he'll be called back to slot into the team, match fit or not.

As for not changing a winning team....will someone tell Paul Hurst that?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paddy Mc

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.