Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Go John. Enough is enough.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 184 Guests

Go John. Enough is enough.

This thread currently has 10,879 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
January 14, 2015, 3:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Another boring thread about getting rid of Fenty.

This Board needs an enema
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 89
TAGG
January 14, 2015, 9:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from Grim up north
Didn't JF take on a club devastated by ITV Digital onits way to disaster .Ive never met the guy but cannot understand the excrement he gets in here after all he's pumped a lot of cash into the club when no one else was willing to step up to the plate. For people thinking Abramovich is waiting in the wings get real , quit moaning like spoilt female dogs and keep the faith as good times will eventually come our way.

Oh FFS ITV again bla bla bla. Who put a gun to his head??? He put his money in with his eyes open.
How do you know there was no one else willing 'to step up to the plate'????
How do you know there's no one out there willing to put money into the club??? Like I have said if the club goes on the open market then we would know.  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 89
Jarmo.Is.God
January 14, 2015, 9:30am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Good idea.

Lose John, no one else will invest, we will have no money, and follow Hereford
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 89
TAGG
January 14, 2015, 9:37am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Good idea.

So how do you know there is no one out there to invest there money in Town?????

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 89
jonnyboy82
January 14, 2015, 9:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Good idea.

Or Lose john, someone will invest, we will have money , and we will not follow Hereford.

no one knows what would happen and I wouldn't want john just to leave but maybe more in the way of inviting investment or go looking for it, the thing is we had someone willing to do that in mike parker but I doubt we will ever get the true story of whatever happened there.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 89
barralad
January 14, 2015, 10:38am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from TAGG

Oh FFS ITV again bla bla bla. Who put a gun to his head??? He put his money in with his eyes open.
How do you know there was no one else willing 'to step up to the plate'????
How do you know there's no one out there willing to put money into the club??? Like I have said if the club goes on the open market then we would know.  

Out of interest what exactly does the "open market" mean.

FWIW I agree with you about ITV Digital being old hat but from memory there wasn't anybody other than JF who did step up to the plate in the wake of that particular crisis-including the board at the time who'd definitely got us into the mess we were in. I wasn't involved at the time but wasn't that when the initial meetings for The Trust came about because a significant number of fans were very worried about the future.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 89
Quagmire
January 14, 2015, 10:57am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from barralad

Out of interest what exactly does the "open market" mean.

FWIW I agree with you about ITV Digital being old hat but from memory there wasn't anybody other than JF who did step up to the plate in the wake of that particular crisis-including the board at the time who'd definitely got us into the mess we were in. I wasn't involved at the time but wasn't that when the initial meetings for The Trust came about because a significant number of fans were very worried about the future.

I thought JF was on the board when ITV Digital failed to honour their financial commitment?  Was there any actual appeal by the club for people to come in and help fund that deficit because I can't remember one.  As far as I can remember JF decided to fund that deficit rather than there being some kind of appeal to come up with the funding from 'external' sources.

I genuinely don't think we would have heard anything from the club re the 700k if the club had remained in League One that season.  Peter Furneaux came out in the GET a couple of days later bemoaning the fact that the club had lost 500k in revenue - had the club remained in League One for the following season I doubt we'd have heard much about ITV Digital.

And, without making excuses for the Huxford board, they'd have been hounded if we'd failed to spend that money that was coming from ITV Digital like all the other clubs at the time.  IMO the Football League should have considerable blame laid at their door for failing to come up with a water-tight contract that would have meant ITV had to pay that money out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 89
barralad
January 14, 2015, 11:56am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Quagmire

I thought JF was on the board when ITV Digital failed to honour their financial commitment?  Was there any actual appeal by the club for people to come in and help fund that deficit because I can't remember one.  As far as I can remember JF decided to fund that deficit rather than there being some kind of appeal to come up with the funding from 'external' sources.

I genuinely don't think we would have heard anything from the club re the 700k if the club had remained in League One that season.  Peter Furneaux came out in the GET a couple of days later bemoaning the fact that the club had lost 500k in revenue - had the club remained in League One for the following season I doubt we'd have heard much about ITV Digital.

And, without making excuses for the Huxford board, they'd have been hounded if we'd failed to spend that money that was coming from ITV Digital like all the other clubs at the time.  IMO the Football League should have considerable blame laid at their door for failing to come up with a water-tight contract that would have meant ITV had to pay that money out.

Ta for the memory jogger. You may well be right about the lack of any appeal for funding. The broadsheet papers in particular were full of the effects of the loss of money from ITV digital on the Football League clubs at the time. At the time I bought the Telegraph (Daily) and I'm sure (although I cannot find it now their archives only go back to 2006) we were at the top of the clubs worst affected with something like 2/3 of our income coming from that source. The £500K Furneaux was moaning about must have been a substantial part of our budget...
The collapse actually came about in March 2002 which was the season where we came back from the dead to stay up in what is now The Championship. That close season saw the effect of the collapse in its clearest possible terms. Players that were on longish contracts were, in a lot of cases moved on. The club weren't in the position to offer new contracts to the likes of Butterfield and Jevons, who allegedly we couldn't afford to play for fear of triggering a further payment to Everton went on loan to Hull for the full season! I clearly remember Darren Barnard signing for us a week or so before the season started from Barnsley-another club badly affected. I'd argue that the club didn't need to bang on about the £700K the effects were all around.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 89
Jarmo.Is.God
January 14, 2015, 12:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
i believe we currently have no chairman.

if there was some mad man out there willing to invest, he would of done this by now...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 89
ginnywings
January 14, 2015, 12:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
i believe we currently have no chairman.

if there was some mad man out there willing to invest, he would of done this by now...

He did and didn't like what he saw.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 89
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Go John. Enough is enough.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.