10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
carrot top
December 22, 2014, 6:32pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
My view is that he should be able to allowed to resume his career. I don't go with role model issue. People need to be a little less self righteous. (Not saying rape is ok by the way) but it looks like there are two sides to this story. I wonder that if he were a high profile premiership player he would have been back playing already.

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 91
Rodley Mariner
December 22, 2014, 7:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
I've asked this on previous Evans threads but nobody has ever replied. For those adopting the 'served his time, free to resume his career' argument, presumably you'd say the same if he'd served time for paedophilia?

I don't think this is a simple argument. Honestly, I think he probably should be allowed to resume his career but I wouldn't want Town to sign him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 91
fleabag1970
December 22, 2014, 7:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
[) but it looks like there are two sides to this story. [/quote]

ONLY ONE SIDE  GUILTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 91
carrot top
December 22, 2014, 8:15pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from fleabag1970
[) but it looks like there are two sides to this story.

ONLY ONE SIDE  GUILTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  [/quote]
Of course. The judicial system is 100% water tight.
No need to shout either

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 91
fleabag1970
December 22, 2014, 8:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
sorry for shouting but we have to trust the law to do its job

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 91
FishOutOfWater
December 22, 2014, 9:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from davmariner

Is a website dedicated to freeing Ched Evans really going to present the facts in an impartial, comprehensive and unbiased manner?

Let's not forget this girl had to change her identity twice.

As stated elsewhere on the thread none of us here know what went on in court other than he was found guilty of rape. Out of interest was it a unanimous decision or was the verdict in the balance and carried by the majority?

One thing I don't think you can pin on him directly though is the woman changed her identity because of subsequent actions by people who took his side and revealed who she was on social media which he probably didn't instigate
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 35 - 91
Cumbrian Mariner
December 22, 2014, 9:40pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +304
I have read somewhere that the reason he has not I apologised to his victim is because he is still appealing against his conviction.

He has been found guilty and served his sentence, is it right to still persecute an individual after he has served his sentence and stop him from returning to his profession? I am not sure where I sit on this one, I think it very unfair that he is unable to return to his profession after serving his punishment - but without knowing the full facts, I think I would find it difficult to come I to terms with it if my daughter were his victim.

Would there be this much fuss if he were a joiner before he went to prison and was back being a joiner now? I think not, I genuinely believe it is because he is a footballer that all this still follows him.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 91
mariner91
December 22, 2014, 10:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,641
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I've asked this on previous Evans threads but nobody has ever replied. For those adopting the 'served his time, free to resume his career' argument, presumably you'd say the same if he'd served time for paedophilia?

I don't think this is a simple argument. Honestly, I think he probably should be allowed to resume his career but I wouldn't want Town to sign him.

Certainly not a simple argument. And I think the nature of the case  only makes it more unclear. Would I adopt the same attitude for someone convicted of paedophilia? Yes I think I would but I wouldn't like them as an individual and wouldn't be comfortable with them playing for Town, the same as I feel towards Hughes. But part of rehabilitation of criminals is to integrate them back into society and if they want to work in a particular career, are qualified to do so and their convictions don't prevent them doing it, then who am I to be a moral compass and say "No you can work but not this particular job because it's a desirable one"?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 91
Rodley Mariner
December 22, 2014, 10:18pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from mariner91

Certainly not a simple argument. And I think the nature of the case  only makes it more unclear. Would I adopt the same attitude for someone convicted of paedophilia? Yes I think I would but I wouldn't like them as an individual and wouldn't be comfortable with them playing for Town, the same as I feel towards Hughes. But part of rehabilitation of criminals is to integrate them back into society and if they want to work in a particular career, are qualified to do so and their convictions don't prevent them doing it, then who am I to be a moral compass and say "No you can work but not this particular job because it's a desirable one"?

I agree with a lot of what you say. There's a massive correlation between umemployment and re-offending with released prisoners. Keeping them out of work doesn't help them or society. The main thing I don't understand is the fact that you say you'd be deeply uncomfortable about us employing Lee Hughes or a paedophile but seem like you'd be much more comfortable with us employing a convicted rapist. I may be wrong but that's just the impression I get from your posts - that you would like us to sign him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 91
mariner91
December 22, 2014, 10:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,641
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I agree with a lot of what you say. There's a massive correlation between umemployment and re-offending with released prisoners. Keeping them out of work doesn't help them or society. The main thing I don't understand is the fact that you say you'd be deeply uncomfortable about us employing Lee Hughes or a paedophile but seem like you'd be much more comfortable with us employing a convicted rapist. I may be wrong but that's just the impression I get from your posts - that you would like us to sign him.

No I wouldn't be comfortable with it and I'm not advocating signing him because of the trouble it would obviously cause whoever does with their sponsors etc, I wouldn't want that with Town and I feel our national image (Lenny video aside) is fairly bad already. But I do feel he should be allowed to pursue a career in the sport again, I feel it's wrong of people to actively try to prevent him doing the job he used to do when there are no legal reasons stopping him. All this guff about being a role model, Hughes has been playing for the last seven years and I haven't heard of one copycat hit and run by an impressionable child. And it's hardly fame and fortune playing in the lower leagues. As others have said, there wouldn't be this commotion if he was a joiner or binman or pretty much any other profession.

I'd certainly sign him in a heartbeat if his appeal went through though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 91
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ched Evans Poll

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.