December 24, 2014, 7:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Nobody has  come out of this with any degree of innocence,

That includes Clayton, the young lady herself and the ones looking on,

He has served his time and from playing international football and with a fairly big club as his employer,

Playing non league is not a reward but a big come down for him,

So if he wants to come for a 6 month stint,

Let him, I say.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 91
mariner91
December 24, 2014, 11:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,255
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from Marinerz93

If you needed some work doing in your house, were you live with your good looking and fit wife, and your good looking and fit 18 year old daughter who at times throughout the day are home alone, would you (a) employ a known convicted rapist, who is very good at the job you want doing or (b) employ someone who is nearly as good but who hasn't been convicted of rape.

Obviously the wife and daughter are hypothetical, bear in mind though that nearly 40% of high-risk rapists re-offend within 5 years.

Not a like for like comparison though is it? Evans won't be coming into contact with women on their own as a footballer will he? Irrelevant comparison. That is why there are laws preventing certain people having jobs that will put them in a situation that wouldn't be suitable. The job you are suggesting doesn't come under these laws but it's still completely different to him being a footballer again.

And I highly doubt I'd end up with a good looking wife

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 91
pontoonlew
December 25, 2014, 12:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,723
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Scapegoat? He's a convicted rapist. If Evans conviction is over-turned then he won't be a convicted rapist. Will you be back-tracking if it isn't over-turned?

Again, you'd have  no problem if he was convicted of child sex offences?

It would all depend on what evidence was in front of us. The evidence at the minute isn't exactly conclusive, is it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 91
Marinerz93
December 25, 2014, 1:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from mariner91

Not a like for like comparison though is it? Evans won't be coming into contact with women on their own as a footballer will he? Irrelevant comparison. That is why there are laws preventing certain people having jobs that will put them in a situation that wouldn't be suitable. The job you are suggesting doesn't come under these laws but it's still completely different to him being a footballer again.

And I highly doubt I'd end up with a good looking wife

He came into contact with his victim because he is a rich, idolised footballer.  When Town played at Championship level there was always young women around the players, wanna be WAGs.  

If someone like Crouch can land a model all you need is the right lottery ticket  

Quoted from mariner91

That's not that much really. And I'm sure there are other professions that earn that much that don't need DBS checks, so hypothetically if he'd done one of those and gone back to doing it after serving his sentence would you still oppose it? Or do we say you've served your sentence for your crime but we'll punish you for the rest of your life by limiting the amount of money you can earn?

I asked a simple question, would you employ a known convicted rapist who showed no remorse to do work in your house, knowing your wife or daughter would be alone with them at some point, after taking into consideration that 40% of high risk rapists re-offend within 5 years.

Personally I wouldn't, I'd just like to know if you would, a simple yes or no would suffice.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 91
mariner91
December 25, 2014, 4:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,255
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from Marinerz93

He came into contact with his victim because he is a rich, idolised footballer.  When Town played at Championship level there was always young women around the players, wanna be WAGs.  

If someone like Crouch can land a model all you need is the right lottery ticket  

I asked a simple question, would you employ a known convicted rapist who showed no remorse to do work in your house, knowing your wife or daughter would be alone with them at some point, after taking into consideration that 40% of high risk rapists re-offend within 5 years.

Personally I wouldn't, I'd just like to know if you would, a simple yes or no would suffice.

I would employ him yes but I'd try and make sure they weren't home alone at any point with him. If that was impossible then I wouldn't but that is circumstance dictating it, that's not a condition that would affect him working outright.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 91
Rick12
December 25, 2014, 4:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Marinerz93
Sign a convicted rapist, definitely not, sign someone cleared of rape/criminal offence, yes.

Sign someone who crashed into someone then run away from the scene leaving them to die, never in a million years.
Spot on for me.From reading around though there seems to be a bit of unclarity surrounding the rape and  after reading the evidence Iam not so sure now whether he is a out and out rapist eg judging by what the women was meant to have tweeted soon after the event(and then deleted) eg along the lines of time to get some money out of this but done in a derisory manner and not one of a damaged innocent victim.Interesting to note though that his appeal has been fastracked after a successful plea to review the evidence again.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 91
Marinerz93
December 25, 2014, 5:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from mariner91

I would employ him yes but I'd try and make sure they weren't home alone at any point with him. If that was impossible then I wouldn't but that is circumstance dictating it, that's not a condition that would affect him working outright.

I agree with what you are saying about a condition that wouldn't affect him from working outright or the standard of work.  The problem comes when a high profile person will be invited into company because of their status and people would automatically be at risk.

The reason why I added the part about wife and daughter is that once you invite someone into your company whether it be business or social you  open yourself up to what ever may happen.  In business image is key to success, in social you rely on those in your company not to take advantage or put you at risk.  Some people can not be trusted.

He hasn't cleared his name yet and until that time, he is a convicted rapist who hasn't shown remorse.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 91
Rodley Mariner
December 25, 2014, 8:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from pontoonlew

It would all depend on what evidence was in front of us. The evidence at the minute isn't exactly conclusive, is it?

That's not what the jury who listened to it all decided.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 91
topuphere666
December 26, 2014, 8:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Should his conviction get overturned there will be a lot of apologies going his way and also a whole host of clubs begging to sign him.

Maybe he has been offered terms with various clubs but has turned them down because he feels the conviction will get thrown out, he will then be able to earn more and potentially play higher up the ladder!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 91
davmariner
December 26, 2014, 12:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
Quoted from topuphere666
Should his conviction get overturned there will be a lot of apologies going his way and also a whole host of clubs begging to sign him.

Maybe he has been offered terms with various clubs but has turned them down because he feels the conviction will get thrown out, he will then be able to earn more and potentially play higher up the ladder!

Why a lot of apologises? He was convicted of the crime by a court of law.

Hypothetical situation anyway, dealing in facts he's currently a convicted rapist and any successful appeal would not doubt be met with a counter appeal. Potentially a long road ahead.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 91
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.