7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 10, 2014, 9:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,979
Gold Stars: 184
If hurst was told ' keep us safe in mid table' then no, he hasn't done a bad job. But, if he was told to 'get us promotion', then he hasn't done a good job.

If in turn, you are happy with failing in the playoffs season after season, then so be it. That is your own view and expectation.

Mine are much higher

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 66
pontoonlew
October 10, 2014, 9:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
There are obviously good managers out there, it's down to the board to go through applications and pick out the best candidate. Plenty of the best managers have come from nowhere. It's a risk you take in sacking a manager, a risk worth taking imo because I honestly cannot see Hurst taking us to the play offs. So what do you do? Wait for him to not do what you strongly suspect he won't do and sack him anyway? Or do you bite the bullet, sack him and at least try to salvage the season? With relegation not a plausible risk, it seems to me that there's very little to lose with sacking him. That's unless you believe he'll take us up I guess, which I personally never have during his whole career here.

I think the guy has been the architect of his own downfall this season so I don't have all that much sympathy. Failing to sign a striker and relentlessly sticking with LJL is one thing. But seeing your team scoring 13 goals in 2 games then needlessly changing things is absolutely unforgivable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 66
MeanwoodMariner
October 10, 2014, 10:11am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

If in turn, you are happy with failing in the playoffs season after season, then so be it. That is your own view and expectation.

This has been gone over so many times. Nobody is happy to fail in the playoffs and it's such a lazy thing to throw at people as if they don't want promotion as much as you. With a top 5 budget, a top 5 finish is a reasonable achievement. You can be happy with making the playoffs and then disappointed at losing them, they're not mutually exclusive. The problem at the minute is we don't look capable of finishing in the top 5.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 66
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 10, 2014, 10:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Sorry mate, but yes, I expect us to get in the playoffs as a minimum every year. I also expect us to reach the first round if the fa cup every year.

If we haven't got a manager/squad that's good enough to do this after 2 years, something is amiss.

That is my personal minimum. Anything else is unacceptable.

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 66
MeanwoodMariner
October 10, 2014, 10:25am

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Sorry mate, but yes, I expect us to get in the playoffs as a minimum every year. I also expect us to reach the first round if the fa cup every year.

If we haven't got a manager/squad that's good enough to do this after 2 years, something is amiss.

That is my personal minimum. Anything else is unacceptable.

That's fair enough
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 66
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 10, 2014, 10:30am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Tommy
It'd be nice if people were a bit more respectful and realistic about Hurst.

First of all, the few posts and tweets etc I see saying "intercourse off hurst" and the like are a bit personal aren't they. He's an honest guy and is working hard, doing his best.

Secondly, the posts saying "anyone/I/Ronald McDonald would do a better job" aren't very realistic are they? Hurst hasn't done an awful job and he clearly isn't an awful manager. He has limitations and shortcomings in several areas but has strengths too. There weren't too many calling him this awful manager when we were winning at Glanford Park or putting on the performance of the last 6 or 7 years against Huddersfield. He's done a decent job without doing a great job.

I've got to the point where I would like him to be replaced, but I can still respect the guy and recognise he hasn't done a terrible job.

Interesting that you mention the period when we played in the cup because in many ways this to me was the start of the problems with PH's management style coming to the fore. Our performances from November through to December were on the whole very good, think it may have been the Welling game where standards dropped, but homecwins v Kiddi and boxing day win and an unfortunate loss to a great free kick against Macc led us to the great and enjoyable match v hudderscandcaway win at Cambridge.

We all thought we were on track, but Cook left out after his cup performance, failure of Jennings to repeat his performances elsewhere and the failure to strengthen our midfield led to the disappointing displays that have become the norm especially at home. The cup games, as with gateshead and alfreton fixtures have demonstrated to us fans what the team is capable of and it is the failure of PH to get this out of them on a more frequent basis which has brought on my disillusionment. Like I have said many times great coach for away fixtures but cannot deliver when onus is on us to attack and take the initiative.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 66
MeanwoodMariner
October 10, 2014, 10:35am

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Like I have said many times great coach for away fixtures but cannot deliver when onus is on us to attack and take the initiative.

If he can do it half the time perhaps he needs a joint manager alongside him for the other half
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 66
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 10, 2014, 10:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

If he can do it half the time perhaps he needs a joint manager alongside him for the other half

You may mock, but that is a very relevant point. And one that hasn't been mentioned

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 66
MeanwoodMariner
October 10, 2014, 10:54am

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

You may mock, but that is a very relevant point. And one that hasn't been mentioned

I mentioned on another thread at how ruthless and quick he was to sort out the defence when after Boyce left. Many people (me included) just thought stick Bignot in and we're sorted. But Hurst spotted the weakness and immediately brought Parslow and we're back to conceding very few goals again (2nd best in the division?)

So theoretically I think he would make an excellent defensive manager. Is it conceivable to bring in an attacking half in another management partnership?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 66
psgmariner
October 10, 2014, 11:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Ivano. Obvious.

Private Message
Reply: 59 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Two questions for those that want change

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.