jimgtfc
October 9, 2014, 9:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,074
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from tashee69

No, no, please no !! He may become a good manager but I don't want to see the Neil Woods and Graham Rodger type of appointment. Both of these players played at championship level and I'm not sure but GR did at premier level.

Fair comment and I kind of agree, just wondered what others thought.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 66
October 9, 2014, 10:09pm
Guest User
My top 3 choices would be ;

1. Gary Waddock. Won the league with Aldershot without a massive budget and won promotion with Wycombe to league 1.  
2. Gary Mills- Took a team in a similar to position to us last year to reach the play-offs and almost got them promoted. Also won the 'double' with York which was a fantastic squad and won the conference north with Tamworth and has plenty of experience at this level.
3.Neil Aspin- Took a part time team to the play-offs last season is a  achievement in itself and not a lot of part time clubs can say they have done that. Took a club from the evo stik to turn them into a team challenging in at the top of the conference in 5 years shows that he is a good manager. Picked up some gems including Vardy and Gregory along the way. 61 % win ratio is pretty decent.

No thanks to a big name or someone inexperienced. I would like someone who has what it takes to get out of this league. I reckon we could tempt Waddock and Aspin but with the position Mills is sat in at the moment I cant see that happening although if he fancy's joining a bigger club with real history and a bigger fan base on equal money and an equal budget then that may change his mind, he has seen first hand what our squad can do.
Reply: 41 - 66
chaos33
October 9, 2014, 10:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Good post

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 66
forza ivano
October 9, 2014, 10:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from 1739

1. Gary Waddock. Won the league with Aldershot without a massive budget and won promotion with Wycombe to league 1.  
2. Gary Mills- Took a team in a similar to position to us last year to reach the play-offs and almost got them promoted. Also won the 'double' with York which was a fantastic squad and won the conference north with Tamworth and has plenty of experience at this level.
3.Neil Aspin- Took a part time team to the play-offs last season is a  achievement in itself and not a lot of part time clubs can say they have done that. Took a club from the evo stik to turn them into a team challenging in at the top of the conference in 5 years shows that he is a good manager. Picked up some gems including Vardy and Gregory along the way. 61 % win ratio is pretty decent.

No thanks to a big name or someone inexperienced. I would like someone who has what it takes to get out of this league. I reckon we could tempt Waddock and Aspin but with the position Mills is sat in at the moment I cant see that happening although if he fancy's joining a bigger club with real history and a bigger fan base on equal money and an equal budget then that may change his mind, he has seen first hand what our squad can do.

Lot of logic in there.good post.
How about looking at the characteristics of the managers who got promoted out of the conference in the last 5-10 years? See if there's a common theme and then try and find someone with similar characteristics. My guess would be that they would mainly be experienced non league bosses who already have tasted a bit of success
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 66
ginnywings
October 9, 2014, 10:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I think we had the right idea last time in looking at who was consistently getting teams in the promotion/play off spots in the leagues below us but unfortunately it just hasn't worked out with Scott and Hurst.

Mansfield took a punt on Cox who was doing a good job at Eastleigh and that went well for them. Similarly Edinburgh for Newport. I'm sure there are other examples.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 66
grimsby pete
October 9, 2014, 10:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from BIGChris
19 posts in 3 years and now 70 in 3 days?

What are you trying to say with that comment Chris ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 66
Tom13
October 10, 2014, 12:15am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
One of the Flitcroft brothers at Chorley? They're doing pretty well at climbing the leagues below us, in the Conference North now I believe?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 66
BIGChris
October 10, 2014, 7:57am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from 1739

I spoke with Gary Waddock at Aldershot a few weeks ago. He greeted me like his long lost brother! Perhaps he was making an early play for the Town job and i didnt realise
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 66
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 10, 2014, 9:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Either that or there's something you haven't been told Chris

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 66
cmackenzie4
October 10, 2014, 9:27am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Tommy
It'd be nice if people were a bit more respectful and realistic about Hurst.

First of all, the few posts and tweets etc I see saying "intercourse off hurst" and the like are a bit personal aren't they. He's an honest guy and is working hard, doing his best.

Secondly, the posts saying "anyone/I/Ronald McDonald would do a better job" aren't very realistic are they? Hurst hasn't done an awful job and he clearly isn't an awful manager. He has limitations and shortcomings in several areas but has strengths too. There weren't too many calling him this awful manager when we were winning at Glanford Park or putting on the performance of the last 6 or 7 years against Huddersfield. He's done a decent job without doing a great job.

I've got to the point where I would like him to be replaced, but I can still respect the guy and recognise he hasn't done a terrible job.

Excellently put!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Two questions for those that want change

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.