Two questions for those that want change

This thread currently has 6,845 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
October 9, 2014, 2:39pm
Guest User
Quoted from grimsby pete

I think he could make a better job of it than Hurst,

In fact I think,   I could do a better job of it than Hurst,

At least I would play more than one striker at home.

Particularly when the said "striker" has got 30 goals in 8 years...
Reply: 30 - 66
MuddyWaters
October 9, 2014, 2:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from gaz57

I feel the same and would like a change of management but the same people who picked the past failures will be picking the next manager. Perhaps we should start at the top and work down. I don't have any answers but just making a point and as for who will put money in to the club we couldn't have done much worse over the last decade with no money. GTFC is an addiction were I'm concerned and feel really down with the whole set up over the last 10 years. All we can do is hope but the only thing that will change anything is money. Falling gates will effect the directors pockets but unfortunately the team and club as well.

This pretty much sums it up. No-one knows what would have happened had Mr Fenty not bailed out the tax bill and created the loan deficit which is both crippling the Statutory Accounts and potentially turning off prospective investors. As I see it, the problems are now greater.

Mr Fenty has stated on here that he will not prop up BP forever and in order to survive going forward, the club needs to re-locate to a new stadium that is more cost-effective. I get that bit, but what I struggle with is how you justify that with non-league football of the quality that we are currently witnessing. What I believe the long-suffering fans deserve is the truth. Is there a business plan for the future of the club? How dependent is the club on this stadium? How come other clubs are able to deliver such a project (Boston for example) and we aren't? Even possibly answers to other questions that are pi$$ing fans off, such as What's really going on with Nathan Arnold

A statement that says we should get behind Paul Hurst, come what may, is just really not good enough. Again, he's asking the fans to prop up a club that's delivered 10 years of decline without any real sign of the tide coming back in.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 66
fishkeeper
October 9, 2014, 7:14pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +136
1) lee evens at last he is funnier than the comedian  hurst
2)don't honestly know
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 66
BIGChris
October 9, 2014, 7:18pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
19 posts in 3 years and now 70 in 3 days?
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 66
meggietown
October 9, 2014, 8:24pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +70
Gold Stars: 3
Dont laugh or shoot me down but if i was fenty id get buckley in as a consultant to have a look at club from top to bottom an ask for any recommendations were we could change things from youth team set up to first team as he was the manager last time we were successful,also in appointing new manager ask him to contribute by sitting on deciding panel.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 66
KingstonMariner
October 9, 2014, 8:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
1) Anyone of a number of non-League managers who seem to be doing better than us with a fraction of the gate.

2) Yes. I think anyone who came in wouldn't have Hurst's stubborn fixation with a non-scoring striker, would bring immediate benefits. In this situation it's got to be worth a punt.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 66
Tommy
October 9, 2014, 8:49pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
It'd be nice if people were a bit more respectful and realistic about Hurst.

First of all, the few posts and tweets etc I see saying "intercourse off hurst" and the like are a bit personal aren't they. He's an honest guy and is working hard, doing his best.

Secondly, the posts saying "anyone/I/Ronald McDonald would do a better job" aren't very realistic are they? Hurst hasn't done an awful job and he clearly isn't an awful manager. He has limitations and shortcomings in several areas but has strengths too. There weren't too many calling him this awful manager when we were winning at Glanford Park or putting on the performance of the last 6 or 7 years against Huddersfield. He's done a decent job without doing a great job.

I've got to the point where I would like him to be replaced, but I can still respect the guy and recognise he hasn't done a terrible job.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 66
Rodley Mariner
October 9, 2014, 8:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Good post Tommy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 66
chaos33
October 9, 2014, 9:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from Tommy

First of all, the few posts and tweets etc I see saying "intercourse off hurst" and the like are a bit personal aren't they. He's an honest guy and is working hard, doing his best.

Secondly, the posts saying "anyone/I/Ronald McDonald would do a better job" aren't very realistic are they? Hurst hasn't done an awful job and he clearly isn't an awful manager. He has limitations and shortcomings in several areas but has strengths too. There weren't too many calling him this awful manager when we were winning at Glanford Park or putting on the performance of the last 6 or 7 years against Huddersfield. He's done a decent job without doing a great job.

I've got to the point where I would like him to be replaced, but I can still respect the guy and recognise he hasn't done a terrible job.

Good post Tommy and I agree with you. It sickens me that people are being personal, dismissive, rude or abusive to Hurst. It does them and the supporters no credit.  Spitefully sneering 'bye bye Hurst', calling him a 'clown' and telling him to F*** off. Childish, pathetic and embarrassing. He's a professional, is honest and hard working and he's still our Manager. He deserves respect and support whilst he's still here.

All that is not to say that I think he should be retained any longer. There is abundant evidence of why we need change and he has had a fair long run at trying to get us promoted, but my view is that we simply must replace him with someone better asap.

I think BC, Chaingmaimariner and others have made some good points and named some viable and impressive potential candidates - realistic too (to answer the original question 2). I'm of the opinion that you have to make it available to judge calibre realistically. If we don't try, we won't find out. I'd add one or two other names to the pot as having credentials worth considering seriously: Mark Robins, Dave Penney, or how about Wilcox and Schofield now they're not wanted at Scunthorpe? Now there will be pro's and cons for all of them and I wouldn't argue, but I think they'd all be worth thinking about or approaching if the opportunity arises. That surely gives at least half a dozen or more credible potential candidates should we have a managerial vacancy.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 66
mariner2000
October 9, 2014, 9:30pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Tommy

I think Hurst can pick a player but his tactical nous is limited as are his motivation skills and general outward demeanor.

Having said that is it really difficult to identify good players at clubs that are clearly (allegedly) lesser than ourselves in this division (thinking Part Timers etc) who should no doubt want to come to a (once) big club???
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 39 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Two questions for those that want change

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.