7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
BIGChris
October 9, 2014, 1:29pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
IF there is a change i would hope that the club at least ask to talk to Mills and Burr. Dont know what compensation would be required, if their clubs would let them go or if they would be interested?

Failing that ask if the FA would let Sean O'Driscoll leave his role with the Under 19's but non of these would be cheap, & they may not be interested.

I am sure the likes of Nick Barmby would apply but would they have the skills and knowledge to get us up? A rookie, a Kevin Phillips or a Paul Davis? Rather one of them than someone like Martin Foyle?

It would be a very difficult task to spot the needle in a haystack, that is why until promotion is mathematically impossible I would give PH the chance to turn it round
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 66
MuddyWaters
October 9, 2014, 1:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I just can't honestly believe that hursts wages are the reported £50k a year.

If that includes bonus' fine, otherwise it's totally ridiculous

And totally surprised no one has mentioned rob jones as the next manager

Do you think that's too high Woz?
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 66
Zmariner
October 9, 2014, 1:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
No idea but as a season ticket holder I can hardly be bothered to go and I have been a staunch home game supporter for 35 years. I am bored to tears with them and as soon as the play offs are out of touch regardess of season ticket I will attend no games. We are a disgrace at home, nothing less.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 66
MeanwoodMariner
October 9, 2014, 1:52pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from arryarryarry

Duh no, at the daft question to the fans as if it is our responsibility, like I said it will be up to the board and whoever applies if ever they remove Hurst.

Or is that just a bit too difficult for you to grasp?

Of course it's the board's decision but this is a forum and he asked if anyone can think of any replacements! He even opened by pointing out he wasn't arguing for Hurst to stay as he (correctly) anticipated that some people might misinterpret his question as an attack on those that want Hurst out. Perhaps you didn't grasp that on first read.

I would have begged Burr to come a year or two ago but his sides are the among the only ones we seem to be able to comfortably beat in recent months and he couldn't keep Chester out of the bottom 4 last season. He turned us down when he was flying at Kiddy but perhaps it would be a different story now he's at Chester. Who knows.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 66
October 9, 2014, 1:55pm
Guest User
Quoted from BIGChris
IF there is a change i would hope that the club at least ask to talk to Mills and Burr. Dont know what compensation would be required, if their clubs would let them go or if they would be interested?

Failing that ask if the FA would let Sean O'Driscoll leave his role with the Under 19's but non of these would be cheap, & they may not be interested.

I am sure the likes of Nick Barmby would apply but would they have the skills and knowledge to get us up? A rookie, a Kevin Phillips or a Paul Davis? Rather one of them than someone like Martin Foyle?

It would be a very difficult task to spot the needle in a haystack, that is why until promotion is mathematically impossible I would give PH the chance to turn it round

I suggested John Schofield - recently sacked as assistant at Scunny.

Has a UEFA 'A' licence, knows the local scene, and got sacked at Lincoln for playing attacking football but neglecting
the defence. Maybe instead of targeting promotion per se, we should be trying to provide football that people want to watch?
We might even get the 'promotion buzz' doing that.

Tend to agree with the OP and BigChris that, in the absence of a convincing alternative, sacking PH would be pretty much a
shot in the dark. That said, I've got a season ticket now collecting dust...
Reply: 24 - 66
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 9, 2014, 2:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,979
Gold Stars: 184
Just getting bored now and looking at managers that would be interested.....

Jim Gannon??? Doing ok at northwich vic. Lots of experience too

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 66
Garth
October 9, 2014, 2:10pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from 137

I suggested John Schofield - recently sacked as assistant at Scunny.

Has a UEFA 'A' licence, knows the local scene, and got sacked at Lincoln for playing attacking football but neglecting
the defence. Maybe instead of targeting promotion per se, we should be trying to provide football that people want to watch?
We might even get the 'promotion buzz' doing that.

Tend to agree with the OP and BigChris that, in the absence of a convincing alternative, sacking PH would be pretty much a
shot in the dark. That said, I've got a season ticket now collecting dust...

The only attacking football they know is hit it high and long to the giants up front, must work though I mean what have they won
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 66
tashee69
October 9, 2014, 2:13pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from jimgtfc
Out of interest does anyone think Chris Doig could make a good manager for us? Played many games in this league so knows all the playing styles, tactics of clubs and players. He's also played a lot of games at championship level under some experienced managers. He also knows our squad inside out and may have a few different ideas.

Just a thought anyway.

No, no, please no !! He may become a good manager but I don't want to see the Neil Woods and Graham Rodger type of appointment. Both of these players played at championship level and I'm not sure but GR did at premier level.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 66
gaz57
October 9, 2014, 2:16pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Given his track record, I despair at who is going to look at suitable replacements.

I feel the same and would like a change of management but the same people who picked the past failures will be picking the next manager. Perhaps we should start at the top and work down. I don't have any answers but just making a point and as for who will put money in to the club we couldn't have done much worse over the last decade with no money. GTFC is an addiction were I'm concerned and feel really down with the whole set up over the last 10 years. All we can do is hope but the only thing that will change anything is money. Falling gates will effect the directors pockets but unfortunately the team and club as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 66
grimsby pete
October 9, 2014, 2:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from jimgtfc
Out of interest does anyone think Chris Doig could make a good manager for us? Played many games in this league so knows all the playing styles, tactics of clubs and players. He's also played a lot of games at championship level under some experienced managers. He also knows our squad inside out and may have a few different ideas.

Just a thought anyway.

I think he could make a better job of it than Hurst,

In fact I think,   I could do a better job of it than Hurst,

At least I would play more than one striker at home.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Two questions for those that want change

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.