9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
September 10, 2014, 10:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Disley is far from slow getting around the pitch so I'm baffled as to why he keeps getting singled out. Seems a reasonable choice to include him last night for his aerial ability (let's face it, Brown and to a lesser degree McLaughlin aren't going to win too much in the air) and he's certainly not slow in any respect. I agree he's not the most dynamic of players moving the ball through midfield but then, other than Brown, I don't think any of our midfielders are.

Against Welling at the weekend, Clay disappeared for much of the second half so he's certainly not infallible (though bear in mind he's only relatively young and still has a lot to learn). I don't really see how picking out midfielders as being the cause of our demise last night is reasonable when the goals apparently all came from defensive errors!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 88
ivanosandwich
September 10, 2014, 10:54am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,470
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from denni266
fed up of hearing,, we have a better squad this year.. yes we have some better players , but the same old failing manager.. and before anyone says here come the knockers .. i have never liked  the way hurst manages and should have gone when his other half went.. we will still be here next year and the year after with him in charge imo

I'm fed up of hearing you moaning.

Let's have a quick poll. All those that would prefer some positive comments, 'we have a better squad' and 'yes it's a defeat but not the end of the world', hit the green tick.

Those that prefer negative comments, 'the same old failing manager', 'the season's over already', hit the red cross.

Come May we may be Champions, we may be in the play offs, and we may fall short of the play offs, but I would much rather spend the rest of the season being positive and realistic, which are two different things by the way, than taking great pleasure in knocking the manager and the team at every opportunity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 88
DocTower
September 10, 2014, 11:24am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from Hagrid
i see disley is becoming the new scapegoat, been very impressed with clay and brown but last night i thought they were poor and thought dis played well, driving force, slotted in at right back when needed, and his aerial threat was once again apparent, i really dont understand that critisicm of Dis, for me he really does NOT slow the play down and i think he's a valuable member of our team

Your dammed if you do your dammed if you don't . Don't think I have ever known such a split with the fans regarding players , team , team selection , playing style , tactics and management .

One game away from home all be it Lincoln , lost . Re group , put it right on Saturday and we'll take if from there . I have my own opinions , not happy we lost in those circumstances , but hey ho . The sun is out , tides up and the birds are singing .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 88
friskneymariner
September 10, 2014, 11:36am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
The thing in we are still a couple of players away from a promotion winning team,at the beginning of the season P.H. stated he was still looking for another striker,when Aswad was injured he was looking to bring in another player,now Boyce has gone back,and Pearson may be injured for a significant period.The problems have been identified but no action has been taken to remedy the issues.This inaction will cost us dearly,at the end of the season.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 88
denni266
September 10, 2014, 11:55am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from ivanosandwich

I'm fed up of hearing you moaning.

Let's have a quick poll. All those that would prefer some positive comments, 'we have a better squad' and 'yes it's a defeat but not the end of the world', hit the green tick.

Those that prefer negative comments, 'the same old failing manager', 'the season's over already', hit the red cross.

Come May we may be Champions, we may be in the play offs, and we may fall short of the play offs, but I would much rather spend the rest of the season being positive and realistic, which are two different things by the way, than taking great pleasure in knocking the manager and the team at every opportunity.

If you dont like it dont read it.  1. i never called the players, in fact if you can read properly through rose tinted glasses, i said we have got better  players,  we have the players to win this league , but not with someone in charge that keeps chopping and changing things, and setting up to suit the opponents , instead of setting up for us to play our game.. i will alwase say things as i see it and respect what others think, and i will use my democratic right to say what i think
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 88
oldun
September 10, 2014, 12:08pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I did not see the game or listen to it on the radio, so I can only comment after reading various reports. It seems to me that we lost the game through defensive errors (2 pens, although only one converted) and some missed chances. How this is down to team selection is a mystery to me. The back 4 and keeper picked themselves and no one would argue with that. How the inclusion of Disley for Paddy managed to cause those problems is also a puzzle to me and after all he did score 1 of our goals. We have good players who can play good football but as at any level it counts for nothing if you fail in both penalty areas. Even though we lost it sounds like we still had good passages of play, so although disappointed not to get at least a point I remain optimistic for the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 88
FishOutOfWater
September 10, 2014, 12:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from friskneymariner
The thing in we are still a couple of players away from a promotion winning team,at the beginning of the season P.H. stated he was still looking for another striker,when Aswad was injured he was looking to bring in another player,now Boyce has gone back,and Pearson may be injured for a significant period.The problems have been identified but no action has been taken to remedy the issues.This inaction will cost us dearly,at the end of the season.

We don't know that there has been no action though Friskney  

For all we know (and I suspect this is the case) PH will have been checking with all and any contacts to redress the issues we face

But if the right personnel to replace our injuries and recalled loanee are not out there right now, we may have to wait and see what comes about in respect of new faces, who will hopefully come here with specific tasks and not just to boost squad numbers
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 46 - 88
jonnyboy82
September 10, 2014, 2:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from oldun
I did not see the game or listen to it on the radio, so I can only comment after reading various reports. It seems to me that we lost the game through defensive errors (2 pens, although only one converted) and some missed chances. How this is down to team selection is a mystery to me. The back 4 and keeper picked themselves and no one would argue with that. How the inclusion of Disley for Paddy managed to cause those problems is also a puzzle to me and after all he did score 1 of our goals. We have good players who can play good football but as at any level it counts for nothing if you fail in both penalty areas. Even though we lost it sounds like we still had good passages of play, so although disappointed not to get at least a point I remain optimistic for the season.

I did go and can tell you the formation we set out with cost us a first half of football..

it was a diamond formation and disley came in for paddy in a 3 man midfield, it totally looked shite and hurst should have held his hands up after the first 20 mins and changed it but he didn't.

we changed to a 451 after half time and we were better but I firmly believe if we started 442 we would have started better and won that game, we have played our best football as a 442 and shouldn't change for the sake of it at all.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 88
friskneymariner
September 10, 2014, 3:23pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
I was there last night and the reason we had a poor first half was because Lincoln had obviously done their homework and gave us no time on the ball at all.They were a big physical team who pressured the person on the ball.

We just cannot cope those tactics,coupled with the incessant high ball down the middle which the centre halves found easy to mop up.
Our breaks came largely through quick passing along the ground,something we did much more of in the 2nd half.

Plying against physical sides  who men mark has long been our Achilles heal.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 88
September 10, 2014, 5:41pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
I don't know why Hurst get's stick for changing the team. The managers job is to put out the side that he thinks has the best chance of getting the required result against certain opposition. That is surely what a squad is for.

I won't give Hurst stick for altering teams and formations but what i will give him stick for, is not being very good at it. I also think he reacts too slowly when it's obvious that it's not working. I can't ever remember him making a half time substitution for instance, to change our shape or remove an under performing player.

He is a stubborn fooker and i think it will be his undoing.

Well it's good you say the team shouldn't always be the same EVERY game.

But disagree about not being very good at altering teams and formations.
He pulled a masterstroke v Welling playing Neilson just behind Pittman.

Maybe he reacts a little slowly.
One things for sure, if you react too quick and get it wrong, you look clueless and all over the shop.

H/T subs are rare. maybe it's cos we're not losing too much.
As for yesterday, I understand he did tweak things 2nd half.
Reply: 49 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Simply won't be good enough

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.