Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 190 Guests

Simply won't be good enough

This thread currently has 9,509 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
September 10, 2014, 5:49pm
Guest User
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I did go and can tell you the formation we set out with cost us a first half of football..

Strictly speaking at 1-1 it didn't.

Reply: 50 - 88
arryarryarry
September 10, 2014, 5:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from 120797

Strictly speaking at 1-1 it didn't.

Whilst both teams had chances in the first half, going in 1-1 really had nothing to do with how well we may have played but because some clown missed a penalty, but hey you don't comment on the match.

Private Message
Reply: 51 - 88
tashee69
September 10, 2014, 7:11pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +956
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from denni266

Good question  arry

My whole point being that when MY team has won well and played well I would come on the website and congratulate them on their performance. Now I would only go on a Man Utd website when they have lost and never when they'd won because I can't stand them.
Do you see what I am getting at here?
You seem to have a habit of only posting after a defeat. Did your computer have some sort of malfunction after the Gateshead and Alfreton games. OK it may be a one off, but you still couldn't say anything good could you.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 88
denni266
September 10, 2014, 7:53pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +697
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from tashee69

My whole point being that when MY team has won well and played well I would come on the website and congratulate them on their performance. Now I would only go on a Man Utd website when they have lost and never when they'd won because I can't stand them.
Do you see what I am getting at here?
You seem to have a habit of only posting after a defeat. Did your computer have some sort of malfunction after the Gateshead and Alfreton games. OK it may be a one off, but you still couldn't say anything good could you.

First  , i never ever go on any other teams site, as i have no interest  at all in other teams. the reason i have a moan on here is because i wont do it at a game,  i do show my delight in the usuall ways tho,, i have been going to the park for 50 yrs , and have stood / sat in all the stands, and can tell you i have heard some disgusting comments shouted out in my time from our own fans  to our players. that is not how it should be at games.. And to put the record strait. i think i have only moaned about  one player that i think was a panic  signing, and one that cant hit a barn door unless he gets 8 chances.  And like i have said on many occations, we do have a good set of players well capable of winning this league, but not with the current manager. he is a good defence coach and that is it imo, and i know i am not alone in thinking that. And yes you are right . i dont  comment enough when we win, but that is because i have seen too many false dawns in the last 11 years, and have learned that they are just flash in the pans . up to now i have not been proved wrong
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 88
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 10, 2014, 8:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,684
Gold Stars: 73
I know this is raising the LJL debate again which I do not want to dwell on as we have hammered that to death but do want to consider how we may perform with a better quality centre forward.

Lincoln's first goal was a superb header by a 19 year old released by Stevenage who caused our central defenders all night. That was his third headed goal this season and in comparison I dont think LJL won one header against Nat Brown. Although Pitman is smaller he has a better "spring" and consequently wins far more flick ons etc. My major complaint last night was that Lewis was not having a particularly good game but instead of switching Pitman central and bringing on Hannah or Mckreth we persisted with him. Even if I was his biggest fan, which I am not, it is this perceived obsession of PH to stick with him that increases the fans frustration towards Lennie.

As I said last night we are trying to play a more attractive style but I agree with many others that a Benson type centre forward would see us reap the benefits of our new approach.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 88
September 10, 2014, 9:33pm
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry

Whilst both teams had chances in the first half, going in 1-1 really had nothing to do with how well we may have played but because some clown missed a penalty, but hey you don't comment on the match.

I know we were outplayed and lucky 1st half, don't need to be there to work that one out !

MANY others games we haven't had any luck either.
What's wrong with luck balancing itself out for a change (or just 1 half) ?

Have never seen you say we were unlucky.
I know it's disappointing but objectivity over the season isn't based on 1 way traffic of all the bad bits.
Reply: 55 - 88
chaos33
September 10, 2014, 10:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
I know this is raising the LJL debate again which I do not want to dwell on as we have hammered that to death but do want to consider how we may perform with a better quality centre forward.

Lincoln's first goal was a superb header by a 19 year old released by Stevenage who caused our central defenders all night. That was his third headed goal this season and in comparison I dont think LJL won one header against Nat Brown. Although Pitman is smaller he has a better "spring" and consequently wins far more flick ons etc. My major complaint last night was that Lewis was not having a particularly good game but instead of switching Pitman central and bringing on Hannah or Mckreth we persisted with him. Even if I was his biggest fan, which I am not, it is this perceived obsession of PH to stick with him that increases the fans frustration towards Lennie.

As I said last night we are trying to play a more attractive style but I agree with many others that a Benson type centre forward would see us reap the benefits of our new approach.

It's a good post and I think raises some really important points in relation to John-Lewis and other aspects. I think it is indisputable that we might do better with a striker of Paul Benson's (or Brett Williamson's) quality, but unfortunately, with a team that's playing more football and creating more chances, it is only going to bring erratic finishing into sharper focus.

Last night's game was uncharacteristically open (for a derby) and the margins were so tight. That game could easily have been a draw, or victory for either side. When the outcome is that delicately balanced, it does make you examine the mistakes and key moments. I think we were all really disppointed with the first half performance, and the defending for the first goal and the winning goal - especially when we know their threat lies chiefly in set pieces and crosses. We should have done more to stop that cross coming in for the first and their scorer gets in between two defenders, neither of whom are tight enough, with Toto's mistimed jump making it look even more sloppy. The winning goal is even more sickening, with too much ball watching going on for my liking. He scores with a tap in from about 5 yeards from a corner! These moments are equally as pivotal as the one-on-one LJL miss, and the other decent chance he fluffed.

That said, with a quality striker, in close games, you might get one, maybe two chances, and he scores. You win or save the game. Zero points turned into one, and draws turned into victories. I really hate to repeat this sentiment because I do think he has a value to the squad and he is not solely to blame for losing last night's game, but I just cannot see how we can expect to be promoted when our forward line is led by such a haphazard finisher. We must do better, or we'll have to witness the same lesson over, and over and over again. It's easier to accept wasted opportunities when you still achieve a good result, but when it's that tight, quality (or lack of) stands out a mile and makes all the difference.

Final comment - we shouldn't be too downhearted after that result. We could so easily have drawn or won that game. We need to regroup, cross our fingers that the injuries are minor and grind out a result at BP on Saturday in what looks a very tough game. Home form, for me, is what really gives you a platform, and we must make sure we win or avoid losing. We can't afford to dwell or feel sorry for ourselves.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 88
arryarryarry
September 10, 2014, 11:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 120797

I know we were outplayed and lucky 1st half, don't need to be there to work that one out !

MANY others games we haven't had any luck either.
What's wrong with luck balancing itself out for a change (or just 1 half) ?

Have never seen you say we were unlucky.

I know it's disappointing but objectivity over the season isn't based on 1 way traffic of all the bad bits.

Missing easy chances and crap defending has got nothing to do with luck, the only luck we had was the penalty miss.

It will be if we fail to get promoted again.

Private Message
Reply: 57 - 88
arryarryarry
September 10, 2014, 11:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

I'm not his biggest fan and apart from missing good chances, for me another major failing is his heading ability in and around the 6 yard box but to be fair to the lad he did jump and get a very good header in late on in the game that the keeper palmed away.

Private Message
Reply: 58 - 88
September 11, 2014, 12:16am
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry
Missing easy chances and crap defending has got nothing to do with luck, the only luck we had was the penalty miss.

I meant over the whole season so far...

Reply: 59 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Simply won't be good enough

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.