9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
friskneymariner
September 11, 2014, 9:42am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
I am just so perplexed with 80's glory harping on about luck,you make your own luck ,and whilst unexpected unforeseen random events may have a little impact on the outcome of an event,they are very insignificant,in the overall scheme of things.

You can guarantee the most skilful ,well prepared and  organised teams have the greater proportion of 'luck' no coincidence that.    

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 88
arryarryarry
September 11, 2014, 11:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from 120797

I meant over the whole season so far...

I'm sorry but you have lost me there, why do I have to mention luck.

So far this season :-

Bristol Rovers  -  not a great performance but 2 points lost due to crap finishing by LJL

Nuneaton & Dover  -  2 poor performances

Gateshead & Alfreton  -  2 very good games where the whole team played well.

Aldershot  -  could have won this game by half-time but for poor finishing, then LJL foolishly got himself sent off and we lost the game.

Welling  -  not a great performance but a win and helped by poor finishing from Welling.

Lincoln  -  played OK at times but again poor finishing possibly cost us the game.

Luck doesn't get you promoted.

Private Message
Reply: 61 - 88
brad_gtfc
September 11, 2014, 6:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Quoted from arryarryarry

I'm sorry but you have lost me there, why do I have to mention luck.

So far this season :-

Bristol Rovers  -  not a great performance but 2 points lost due to crap finishing by LJL

Nuneaton & Dover  -  2 poor performances

Gateshead & Alfreton  -  2 very good games where the whole team played well.

Aldershot  -  could have won this game by half-time but for poor finishing, then LJL foolishly got himself sent off and we lost the game.

Welling  -  not a great performance but a win and helped by poor finishing from Welling.

Lincoln  -  played OK at times but again poor finishing possibly cost us the game.

Luck doesn't get you promoted.

All LJL's fault by the looks of things then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 88
grimsby pete
September 11, 2014, 7:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Before we all start to think the season is over already,

I am not bothered who is top of the league in September,

OR even December, it's who is top at the end of the season that counts,

We have the players who can perform they have shown that in the 2 big wins,

What we need is for them to be more consistant and maybe another striker in and we will be there,

Coming on here moaning about the manager and certain players after a defeat does not help at all,

We can do this , stick behind the team and the manager and I am sure our support will be rewarded.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 88
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 11, 2014, 7:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,648
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from brad_gtfc

All LJL's fault by the looks of things then.

No certainly not, but many of us feel its a major factor whilst just as many think we cannot manage without him. Its a debate that will run and run whilst he remains at the club. What we have to do is back him during matches and restrict any negative views we may on him to postings on here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 88
chaos33
September 11, 2014, 7:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
I agree wholeheartedly but I wouldn't even call them 'negative views'. They are observations of real events. Critical, but balanced comment if you like.

I think that LJL is a very important member of our squad and a player of considerable value in some games, but for the manager to make him the 'number one',  'auto-pick' striker and watch chance after chance squandered across dozens of games is both foolish and sickening. We would win so many more marginal points with a quality striker/more reliable finisher, and that's a stark and blindingly obvious fact.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 88
ginnywings
September 11, 2014, 8:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from chaos33
I agree wholeheartedly but I wouldn't even call them 'negative views'. They are observations of real events. Critical, but balanced comment if you like.

I think that LJL is a very important member of our squad and a player of considerable value in some games, but for the manager to make him the 'number one',  'auto-pick' striker and watch chance after chance squandered across dozens of games is both foolish and sickening. We would win so many more marginal points with a quality striker/more reliable finisher, and that's a stark and blindingly obvious fact.

My thoughts exactly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 88
KingstonMariner
September 12, 2014, 2:50pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings
I don't know why Hurst get's stick for changing the team. The managers job is to put out the side that he thinks has the best chance of getting the required result against certain opposition. That is surely what a squad is for.

I won't give Hurst stick for altering teams and formations but what i will give him stick for, is not being very good at it. I also think he reacts too slowly when it's obvious that it's not working. I can't ever remember him making a half time substitution for instance, to change our shape or remove an under performing player.

He is a stubborn fooker and i think it will be his undoing.

Spot on.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 88
MuddyWaters
September 12, 2014, 3:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
We've got a fantastic goal difference for a side that's won one more game than it has lost. Failure to convert chances in tight games will ultimately cost any team and that's why you need your fox-in-the-box. I'm not repeating what several including myself have said about Hurst or LJL but if we have such a great squad, we simply have to stop worrying about what other teams threats are and start to concentrate on what we can do to them.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 88
grimsby pete
September 12, 2014, 4:04pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from MuddyWaters
We've got a fantastic goal difference for a side that's won one more game than it has lost. Failure to convert chances in tight games will ultimately cost any team and that's why you need your fox-in-the-box. I'm not repeating what several including myself have said about Hurst or LJL but if we have such a great squad, we simply have to stop worrying about what other teams threats are and start to concentrate on what we can do to them.

I agree with that.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Simply won't be good enough

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.