barralad
September 11, 2014, 10:32pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from diehardmariner
In terms of tactics/selections, I'm afraid Hurst got it wrong.   Yes he scored and yes he's our captain but Disley hasn't looked on song for the last 6-8 months.  The four of Brown, Clay, McLaughlin and Neilson have showed the tempo and intensity we need to succeed in this division, unfortunately Disley can't offer that at present.  By all means a good player for the squad and to bring on late to steady the ship but definitely not at the levels of the previously mentioned four other midfielders.

Worst we've been at the back all season.  We missed Boyce, did on Saturday too.  Sooner we can arrange a loan return with permanent deal to follow the better for me.  As good as Toto and Pearson are, we're better with Boyce in the side

Obviously I am not party to what was in Hurst's head when he picked the side-you may be entirely right. Personally I think Disley played to help counter the threat of their (SIX) players over six feet tall. Given that we gave away far too many throws, corners and free kicks in areas where they could "launch" the ball into the middle this appears to me to be a reasonable selection to make.
IMO your point about Boyce is excellent. I thought he would be a big "miss" when he went back-I didn't think it would be proven quite so quickly.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 76
mariner91
September 11, 2014, 10:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,646
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from barralad

Obviously I am not party to what was in Hurst's head when he picked the side-you may be entirely right. Personally I think Disley played to help counter the threat of their (SIX) players over six feet tall. Given that we gave away far too many throws, corners and free kicks in areas where they could "launch" the ball into the middle this appears to me to be a reasonable selection to make.
IMO your point about Boyce is excellent. I thought he would be a big "miss" when he went back-I didn't think it would be proven quite so quickly.

If we thought Lincoln were a superior side to us then I'd agree with that selection. However, I'm still of the genuine belief that we're a much better outfit than them overall (they're cloggers who launch the ball forward to their big front line) and the reason we lost was they wanted it more and upped their game accordingly. Even then, we could count ourselves unfortunate to not get a point. And because I think we're a better outfit than they are, it comes back to what others have said about Hurst (wrongly IMO) changing our tactics and line up to counter other team's strengths instead of sending teams out to cause them problems. My opinion in football is that you play to your own strengths first and foremost unless a team is vastly superior to you or your own strengths blatantly don't work against that particular side. If we're as good as some of our play this season has led me to believe then we shouldn't be trying to nullify teams who probably won't be troubling the top end of the table. If we'd played with the line up and in the same way that we did against Gateshead then we'd have won, I'm certain of that.

Disley is a good player but he slows the play down too much and although he scores quite a few goals, we are at our best when moving the ball forward quickly which he rarely does.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 76
Maringer
September 11, 2014, 11:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
The problem is, whether you're better than the opposition or not, if they are willing to pack their team with tall players and punt/lob it into your box at every given opportunity, you have to try and deal with this the best you can. We're not a tall team and Disley is good in the air so putting him in the team seems a pretty obvious choice to me.

The alternative view seems to be that we should have just taken the game to them and outscored them but this is easier said than done. It's always easier to stop a goal than score one and we still had more shots overall and efforts on target than them, so it wasn't exactly an enormously defensive move. Especially as Disley scored!

Though I didn't go (and haven't seen the highlights), reports are pretty clear that we lost because of a combination of poor defending and missed chances. They aren't Hurst's fault, are they? The players need to take responsibility for the mistakes which lost us the game. The team selected was good enough to win but failed too often at both ends of the pitch (as we have done several times this season), so the squad as a whole needs to buck their ideas up and start grinding out the results. We've got the ability, they just need to perform.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 76
brad_gtfc
September 12, 2014, 11:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
As much as Hurst could've changed tactics or formation. He can't legislate for sloppy defending and poor finishing. I know ultimately the book stops with the manager but these players have to take responsibility.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 76
moosey_club
September 12, 2014, 1:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from brad_gtfc
As much as Hurst could've changed tactics or formation. He can't legislate for sloppy defending and poor finishing. I know ultimately the book stops with the manager but these players have to take responsibility.

watching the post match interview i think Hurst agrees with you, commented that LJL knows he should have scored, and that Nsiala should have done better with late header, Bignot should not have waited for Mckeown to move but just dealt with it himself ie row z and that he wouldnt comment on Mckeowns claim of a foul only saying it was inside the 6 yd box and he would expect it to be dealt with...got the impression some players will be getting a hard time this week in training

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 76
diehardmariner
September 12, 2014, 1:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,612
Gold Stars: 538
Regards Disley's inclusion for his aerial ability, that's a fair point.  Not sure I agree we're not a tall team though, take Neilson and Brown out of the equation and we're a fairly physical bunch.  Considering Brown goes on the post for corners and Neilson is left as the attacking outlet, we really shouldn't be conceding goals at set-pieces.

Anyway, Disley's good in the air I agree but if we were picking our team to counter their aerial game, I can't disagree with points made higher up the thread about nullifying the threat from wide.  Cut off the threat at the source, in this case the wings.  Keeping McLaughlin-Brown-Clay-Neilson as the four across the middle would have done so.  Going with a diamond left us exposed wide and, for me, broke up that wonderful pack hunting we've seen in recent weeks by Brown and Clay.  One goes in for the tackle, knowing he can't get the ball but does enough to force the attacker to push the ball further in front so the other can sweep up.  

It's done now. 3 points lost and a bit of local pride gone.  I maintain we'll have much more to shout about by next April.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 76
barralad
September 12, 2014, 10:22pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from diehardmariner
Regards Disley's inclusion for his aerial ability, that's a fair point.  Not sure I agree we're not a tall team though, take Neilson and Brown out of the equation and we're a fairly physical bunch.  Considering Brown goes on the post for corners and Neilson is left as the attacking outlet, we really shouldn't be conceding goals at set-pieces.

Anyway, Disley's good in the air I agree but if we were picking our team to counter their aerial game, I can't disagree with points made higher up the thread about nullifying the threat from wide.  Cut off the threat at the source, in this case the wings.  Keeping McLaughlin-Brown-Clay-Neilson as the four across the middle would have done so.  Going with a diamond left us exposed wide and, for me, broke up that wonderful pack hunting we've seen in recent weeks by Brown and Clay.  One goes in for the tackle, knowing he can't get the ball but does enough to force the attacker to push the ball further in front so the other can sweep up.  

It's done now. 3 points lost and a bit of local pride gone.  I maintain we'll have much more to shout about by next April.

I do see where you are coming from but their threat came from the "big boot" down the middle and from set pieces especially throw-ins. The first goal I think came from a free kick, the first penalty came from a ball over the top and the winner came from a corner. Perhaps I'm being more obtuse than normal but I cannot see how somebody of McLoughlin's stature would have improved the situation...but as we are constantly reminded by certain board celebrities it's all about opinions. UTM.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back to car

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.