8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Perkins
September 9, 2014, 11:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
What's with this diamond formation? Completely overrun in midfield for the first thirty minutes. We were so slow coming out of the blocks, very hesitant. Disley the weak link for me despite scoring. Great goal from Pittman, and a great strike from Neilson that rebounded off the post straight to LJL who should have done better. Hesitancy by Bignot caused him to trip their man for a penalty, (It was straight in front of me). this whilst we were down to 10 men. Looked to me like Macca was impeded for their third. Hope Hurst learns from this and doesn't resort to the formation he started with again.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 76
Tom13
September 9, 2014, 11:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from Perkins
What's with this diamond formation? Completely overrun in midfield for the first thirty minutes. We were so slow coming out of the blocks, very hesitant. Disley the weak link for me despite scoring. Great goal from Pittman, and a great strike from Neilson that rebounded off the post straight to LJL who should have done better. Hesitancy by Bignot caused him to trip their man for a penalty, (It was straight in front of me). this whilst we were down to 10 men. Looked to me like Macca was impeded for their third. Hope Hurst learns from this and doesn't resort to the formation he started with again.

Neilson hit that rebound over didn't he?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 76
Perkins
September 9, 2014, 11:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Tom13

Your quite right he did.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 76
headingly_mariner
September 9, 2014, 11:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,319
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Tom13

Indeed he did, had he taken a touch he could have rolled it in.
Thought we were alright tonight and if Toto sticks his header away we win the game. The LJL criticism is way off the mark, he did really well in leading the line and put pitman through for his goal, the partnership between LJL, Pittman and neilson should not be tampered with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 76
Stew0_0
September 9, 2014, 11:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 35
We lost tonights game due to bad defending. Free header for first, Needless pen for second and we were bullied from a corner for the third. Thought Toto had an off day and Bignot is by far the weak link in defence. The sooner Aswad comes back the better then Magnay can move over. Why not give Paul Walker a run out there. On a positive side, again the LJL, Pittman and Neilsen combo look really threatening going forward although I think the formation was wrong tonight. We should have had Pittman up top with LJL and Neilsen on the right but with a bit of license to have a free role.

MOM - Carl Magnay
Overall 2-2 should have been the right result but we move on to Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 76
Garth
September 9, 2014, 11:31pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Perkins

The reason why the midfield was not in the game was due to Lincoln using the long ball tactics to their forwards that sailed over our midfield heads, their manager had done is homework on us and bypassed our strong point, IMO we should have changed it to 442 after thirty minutes with Nielson out lefi and Mackreth (sp) out right and Pitman and LJL uo front, anyway bad day at the office and we go again Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 76
timmo
September 9, 2014, 11:39pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +58
Well where do we start?

Defence shaky.
Midfield lacked bite or passion, Disley killed what we've built so far. IMO he is a last 10 min regroup player this season.
Attack poor. Scotty tried too much rather pass simple.

LJL - can someone explain what he brings to the team? I cant see it. IMO the worst forward we've had at the club.

Macca looked worried tonight, for their 2nd pen (stone wall) he should have cleaned everyone out and took the ball however Bignot (worst player on the pitch) should have put it over the stand.

Timmo
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 76
Mariner Ronnie
September 9, 2014, 11:40pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Well balanced views on the just back thread, think we can all honestly say 2-2 would have been fair.

Was listening the humberside on the way home, and I can't help but think that the scapegoating critism aimed at John Lewis needs to stop, it can't be doing any favours at all.

Also fantastic turn out from us (1800) like to see if Lincoln will even match half of that at BP, shame that some people need to grow up!

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 76
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 9, 2014, 11:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,647
Gold Stars: 71
Just in from the pub and all in all I enjoyed the game but not the result. It was best game v Lincoln for many a season competitive, goal action at both ends, strong tackles and five goals. Once it was two two I thought we should have made a tactical change putting Pitman down the middle and bringing on Hannah to run behind their back four.

Dont agree with comment on LJL thought he struggled to win headers, his hold up play, particularly on the ground, was eratic and he failed to find the net when well placed on a couple of occasions. I thought tonight might suit him but IMO not his best night and the failure to make tactical changes was again apparent and something PH needs to address.

But despite the urine take in the local afterwards a good derby,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 76
barralad
September 9, 2014, 11:53pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Although we had much the better of the second half we didn't really cope with their aerial bombardment all night. It is difficult when facing six players who are all above 6 feet but thought Macca looked particularly hesitant, flapping at balls into the box. Bignot has got a lot of stick for the second penalty but in his defence I thought he called Macca who didn't come.
I don't get the criticism of Toto who looks so composed on the ball and has some real body strength.
It's hard to be too critical but especially in the first half I thought some of our play was on the over elaborate side and it hardly ever came off (Neilson the worst culprit)
Pittman's goal was unstoppable..
Disley's finish for the first was excellent and required considerable technique given the height and speed of the ball when it came to him.
I cannot find it in me to criticise Lincoln's tactics. They have played that way ever since we regularly started to play them again so it should NEVER come as a surprise.
Pearson's injury looks baddish. Wouldn't expect him to figure on Saturday.
Finally a word about the shenanigans in the corner. Lincoln had imposed a fan free zone on their fans in the corner nearest the Town fans. At the very least anyone who ran the thirty or so yards needed to get in a good bait should have been ejected. If that had happened then the steward (From Town) might not have ended up being stretchered out of the ground. I have no idea where the police were when this was going on and can only hope the ubiquitous "CCTV" will be used to find those responsible. Town should think very carefully before putting volunteers at such risk again.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back to car

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.