Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 144 Guests

Just back to car

This thread currently has 10,847 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
September 10, 2014, 12:45am
Guest User
Quoted from RoboCod
As for the game, we'd have won with a half decent left back in and Magnay, who was great, in at RB instead of Bignot.

Sounded like Bignot did generally ok otherwise ?
Not much Hurst could have done about right back anyway.
Walker ? Toto ? No no !

Had he gone 3-5-2 addressing the aerial bombardment (e.g. bringing in Doig), sure some would still say he's tinkering for the sake of it.
Not saying he got it spot on tonight but the bloke just can't win whatever he does...  

Quoted from Perkins
What's with this diamond formation? Completely overrun in midfield for the first thirty minutes. We were so slow coming out of the blocks, very hesitant. Disley the weak link for me despite scoring.

Do you mean in the diamond ?
Must admit, I think he's always better pushed forward.
Especially when we've got Clay there to tackle.
Reply: 30 - 76
grimps
September 10, 2014, 12:47am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from barralad

Disley offers more defensively than Paddy

So how come we let 3 goals in then ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 76
September 10, 2014, 1:09am
Guest User
intercourse sake !

Lack of marking, Bignot foul (Pearson off), set piece !

But yeah, it's all Disley's fault.
Obviously Paddy would have been the saviour with his defensive qualities.  

Please just stop it.  
Reply: 32 - 76
Maringer
September 10, 2014, 6:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Disley is very good in the air so an understandable change though Paddy has otherwise been playing well. Clay is tallish so needed to be in the team, Brown indispensible (though I guess this wasn't his type of game) so this is why Paddy would have been dropped from midfield. We're not the biggest of teams at the moment and it sounds as though we struggled against the aerial bombardment. Just a pity that we cracked under the pressure to concede the goals.

BBC stats indicate that we had more shots and more shots on target than Lincoln so we obviously did OK attacking-wise. Just not good enough in defence.

Disappointing that we don't seem to be grinding results out at the moment. As I said after the Aldershot game, we need to be turning these narrow defeats into draws and the draws into wins.

Hopefully, Pearson won't be out too long but, if he is, we'll need to dip into the loan market, I'd have thought. We could also do with another striker on the books as well.

Edit:  Just listened to the post-match interview and I'm slightly concerned about Pearson's injury. If it's a knee problem, could take some time for him to recover. Fingers-crossed it's nothing too bad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 76
RoboCod
September 10, 2014, 8:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from 120797

Sounded like Bignot did generally ok otherwise ?

Not really, a yard off the pace until a little reshuffle for the 2nd half when he at least got tighter. Curiously he seemed better after a bang on the head and bandage.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 76
arryarryarry
September 10, 2014, 8:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Tom13
Oh and before LJL is crucified for that miss (which granted he should have scored) the linesman had his flag up anyway so it wouldn't have counted even if he had scored.

No he didn't, he gave a goal kick.

Private Message
Reply: 35 - 76
arryarryarry
September 10, 2014, 8:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Tommy
Massively frustrating to lose a game we shouldn't have lost. And I always hate to lose to a team that play in a thuggish style and turn the game into a game of set pieces.

First half they came out strong and put pressure on us. They worked a few attacks down their flanks where their full backs had all the time in the world with out lack of wingers closing them down. When we were in possession we were closed down quickly and often before a passing option became available, resulting in us giving the ball away cheaply far too often.

We got back in it with Disley's goal and I was happy with that at half time, thinking we wouldn't be as poor as that in the second half.

And we wasn't. Lincoln seemed to either tire or stop closing us down so quickly and we quickly settled into a few spells of possession, immediately looking more composed on the ball.

The second half was dominated by us really, until a spell near the end when the constant long stoppages every time they wanted to take a long throw or throw a longball set-piece into the box.

Apart from their penalty miss, I can't remember them missing many, if any, chances. I remember McKeown making a good save 1st half and then one from a low free kick that I'd expect him to save. But nothing else.

On the other hand we had LJL's lob over the keeper that he should really have scored. Nielson's cracking shot that cannoned back off the post and then the simpler task of putting the rebound in that he fluffed. Toto had a good header saved too Pittman, Nielson and LJL looked dangerous going forward.

Bignot taking a lot of stick. He didn't deal with the situation for the 2nd penalty very well at all but he did get in the way of a Lincoln player having a 2yard tap in 5 minutes after that. Unfortunately, defensively, he isn't at the level of the other 3 of the back 4 and I'll be happy when we've got Thomas back and shift Magnay over to right back. Magnay was excellent tonight in a system that leaves full backs exposed and often with few options on the ball.

Seen a lot of criticism for LJL and a lot of messages on radio saying he cost us and he's to blame blah blah blah. Him and Pittman worked well and LJL only missed the one chance with that lob. Many saying Hannah should have came on earlier but I'd struggle to choose who should've made way for him.

I can see why Hurst picked Disley today. Maybe not everyone agrees, and I don't think I'd have changed Paddy for him personally.  But there was logic behind it and it's not a decision to batter him for. Disley's good in the air and against a team that put the ball in the air a lot, his spring and timing of jumps helped us in there. And his recent record of scoring at Sincil Bank continued.

The biggest mistake Hurst made, IMO, was not sending Doig on as soon as Pearson came off the pitch. You could see from Pearson hobbling off barely able to stand that he wouldn't be able to carry on. And that cost us their 2nd goal with Bignot covering centre-half.

All in all, drunk off we lost but not worried because we looked dangerous going forward and could've had 4 on another day. And the effort was there from our boys, it wasn't for a lack of trying. Onwards and upwards.

No he didn't, he got into a good position in the first half, took a swing and completely missed the ball, he then had a great chance early in the second half when put through and put it well wide of the goal before he missed that lob.

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 76
bradzmilne
September 10, 2014, 8:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,359
Gold Stars: 29
A defeat again the gimps is going to hurt, only natural. But when you get past local pride and all of that, its only 3 points.
We can't keep making stupid fouls, it will be our biggest downfall. That's now 2 games in my honest opinion we've ruined ourself by seeing players sent off or giving away penalties (almost 3 after Dover game!). There is only a very fine line between 'roughing' teams up and just giving away stupid, petty fouls.
When it comes down to it, we've beat the gimps at Sincil Bank the last 3 years and not won promotion... Its not a game that makes or breaks our season.
Lets dust ourselves off and get going again on Saturday.
UTM

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 76
barralad
September 10, 2014, 8:59am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,194
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from grimps

So how come we let 3 goals in then ?

80's got there before me....I assure you I can offer no further explanation...

Whilst we are on the subject of defenders last night showed what a huge miss Boyce is.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 76
barralad
September 10, 2014, 9:00am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,194
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from arryarryarry

No he didn't, he gave a goal kick.

If you want to be pedantic about it the ref. acknowledged the linesman's flag....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back to car

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.