arryarryarry
September 10, 2014, 9:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from barralad

If you want to be pedantic about it the ref. acknowledged the linesman's flag....

Not being pedantic about anything, as LJL ran through the linesman clearly kept his flag down as I was sat right in line and when he missed he pointed for a goal kick.

If the linesman had flagged for off-side then the ref would have given it.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 76
highcliff mariner
September 10, 2014, 9:37am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Having slept on it , i agree with the OP , game could have gone either way , thought there could of been 2 straight reds for some really fierce dangerous tackles (suprised to see neilson stay on the pitch from the one on the halfway line .They had more desire than we did and thats what won them the game (not pretty tho). Macca ? his faliure to command his box is the reason (for me) that he hasnt moved up the divisions ,great shot stopper though, Bignot had an off day, lenny missed his usual quota , Disley was pedestrian , and after all that the result could still have gone either way.I also agreee with the posters with regards to Hurst worrying  about ,and adjusting the side in reaction to what the oppositions supposed strengths are.

Oh and LCFC's Idea of crowd control/segregation is pap, but well done to the Gimps for some great backing for their side.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 76
maxfox44
September 10, 2014, 9:47am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
Now that I have slept on it.  I very annoyed that our manager insists on setting up the team to counter the opposition.  We should have had enough big lads to deal with usual aerial stuff.  You can see why Macca is a non-league keeper, just isn't commanding enough, but he will play well more times than he struggles.
I personally wouldn't have played Disley, as he slows the play down too much and likes a backward safe pass at times.  But having said that his goals are valuable.  I'm afraid Bignot is not good enough and seems to have certain basic defending errors, like letting the ball bounce, marking too close or clearing the ball across the goal.  But I do agree that our options were limited and not getting a loan left back looks a bad decision in hindsight.  Also, Bignot doesn't offer too much going forward either.

If I were PH, I'd be building my team around a front pairing of Hannah and Pitman.  With Neilson and Brown providing the creativity for them.  LJL, provides what I call a false target man.  He works hard, gets a few balls and hold it up, but rarely does a lot with those moments.  His lack of goal scoring I don't see a problem, but he doesn't seem to offer too much else either.

I guess we'll find out about this team in the coming matches, starting on Saturday.

UTM

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 76
arryarryarry
September 10, 2014, 9:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Last two posts about spot on for me.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 76
TownSNAFU5
September 10, 2014, 9:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,873
Gold Stars: 42
The (clear) RH view was that we should have been well-beaten by HT.  This could have been for a number of reasons. A dominant second half just leaves too much to do.  This is also worrying for future games.

RH also called it right for when Doig should have come on sooner for Pearson. Why the delay when Pearson clearly could not continue?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 76
RoboCod
September 10, 2014, 10:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Pearson's a battler, he clearly knows what these matches mean and after limping off he took some quick treatment and began jogging down the touchline, almost convinced us (and himself) that he'd run it off. As usual fate conspires and we concede.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 76
Maringer
September 10, 2014, 10:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,468
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
The (clear) RH view was that we should have been well-beaten by HT.  This could have been for a number of reasons. A dominant second half just leaves too much to do.

Hang on a minute. We were level at half-time, weren't we? A dominant second half would have been good enough if we'd defended better and Hurst seemed to think we should have scored a couple at the very least in his post-match interview.

Despite our height in the centre-half areas, we're not a particularly tall team in general so will tend to find it difficult against teams full of 6-footers such as Lincoln. Fundamentally, if you give away soft goals and don't take good chances you're going to be losing points against even long-ball teams.

Improve these two areas and the results will start to come in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 76
AndyGTFC
September 10, 2014, 1:44pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Disappointing, a draw would've been a fair result but we move on. Think they're better than in recent years but they're still not anything special. We're usually reliable defensively but weren't last night and that cost us the game.

We were lucky to go in level at the break, they were up for it more than us and could've been 2 or 3 up but it was a great finish from Disley just before HT. In the second half, they didn't do too much other than their goals. Bignot gave away a really daft penalty and then we defended a corner really poorly for their winner.      

Also, a lot of people seem to have missed the linesman putting his flag up during LJL's lob. Wouldn't have counted anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 76
moosey_club
September 10, 2014, 3:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,238
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Maringer

Hang on a minute. We were level at half-time, weren't we? A dominant second half would have been good enough if we'd defended better and Hurst seemed to think we should have scored a couple at the very least in his post-match interview.

Despite our height in the centre-half areas, we're not a particularly tall team in general so will tend to find it difficult against teams full of 6-footers such as Lincoln. Fundamentally, if you give away soft goals and don't take good chances you're going to be losing points against even long-ball teams.

Improve these two areas and the results will start to come in.

The point is that you cant only turn up for 45 mins and expect to win matches, we dont have lethal strikers who gobble up every opportunity that comes their way so you need to maximise your chances of scoring (we did for 2 games over the bank holiday but otherwise..). The 2 or 3 good chances created for and missed by our strikers,who probably have a 1 in 8 success rate at best when it comes to shot/goal ratio, isnt high enough.
A wasted/substandard first 45 mins was typical of last season, plenty of 0-0 half times and that just doesnt maximise your chances.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 76
Maringer
September 10, 2014, 4:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,468
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from moosey_club

The point is that you cant only turn up for 45 mins and expect to win matches, we dont have lethal strikers who gobble up every opportunity that comes their way so you need to maximise your chances of scoring (we did for 2 games over the bank holiday but otherwise..). The 2 or 3 good chances created for and missed by our strikers,who probably have a 1 in 8 success rate at best when it comes to shot/goal ratio, isnt high enough.
A wasted/substandard first 45 mins was typical of last season, plenty of 0-0 half times and that just doesnt maximise your chances.

I think we must have slightly better than 1 in 8 success rate. We are, after all, top scorers in the division!

The one encouraging fact is that we've only lost the two games very narrowly - on a different day, we'd have had at least a point in those two games. As I've said in the past, we need to start getting (or stopping) that extra goal here and there to win the points that our play has generally deserved.

I don't think you can really complain too much about the partnership between Pittman and LJL as they've scored 6 goals in 5 games together so far (including Aldershot). By far the best partnership we've had for some time so hopefully they will continue to stay fit and play well together. If you add Neilson into the equation and consider them as a front 3, that's 10 goals between the 3 of them in 5 games which is excellent.

I don't disagree that you can't always get away with a really poor performance in one half, but it's by no means an unusual thing. In the first couple of Buckley eras, I remember many occasions where we were rubbish in the first half but were able to come out firing in the second (after an almighty bollocking, I expect!). Even the best teams have poor performances on occasion, but they have the knack of winning points when they do and we're just not quite there yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back to car

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.