6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Maringer
September 5, 2014, 1:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Comments from last weekend were that we were less than convincing after LJL's red card with Pittman and Hannah up front. Obviously, we were down to ten men which would have had an impact, but I think we could do with a bit more attacking intent than playing 3 central midfielders. That's why I'd personally put Arnold on the left (if he is fit enough) in place of McLaughlin and stick Neilson on the right.

The alternative is that we try 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 with Neilson playing either as one of the front 3 or in 'the hole' behind the front two. Would Clay/Brown/McLaughlin have the legs to play as a central 3, I wonder?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 55
The Singing Fisherman
September 5, 2014, 2:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +400
Hannah didn't come on till late on last week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 55
Maringer
September 5, 2014, 2:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Ah, right. I obviously didn't read the match reports properly because I actually went to the Newcastle game on the Saturday afternoon then straight out at night in Clee when I got home. It's not easy to read forums on your phone when driving down the A1, even as a passenger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 55
friskneymariner
September 5, 2014, 3:10pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Does anybody realise this is the week of the full moon and as a psychiatric worker we always tried to avoid night shifts on these weeks,maybe explains some of the comments on this thread.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 55
rancido
September 5, 2014, 3:18pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Maringer
Comments from last weekend were that we were less than convincing after LJL's red card with Pittman and Hannah up front. Obviously, we were down to ten men which would have had an impact, but I think we could do with a bit more attacking intent than playing 3 central midfielders. That's why I'd personally put Arnold on the left (if he is fit enough) in place of McLaughlin and stick Neilson on the right.

The alternative is that we try 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 with Neilson playing either as one of the front 3 or in 'the hole' behind the front two. Would Clay/Brown/McLaughlin have the legs to play as a central 3, I wonder?

I'm sure they would and have demonstrated so far this season that they can cover a lot of ground effectively. They are all very mobile players and Brown especially has shown a lot energy in his contribution thus far. I like this combination in mid-field and think they will serve us well. It's nice to see Paddy play in his more " natural role" and his performances have proved what an asset he is when used properly.

On another note it's nice to see the supposed myth, that Hurst is a hoof ball merchant, put to rest. In the GET he clearly states that he has never advocated playing the long ball and has never set the team up to do so. I think in the past the team has resorted to this when either under pressure or haven't had the confidence in themselves to try something different.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 55
grimsby pete
September 5, 2014, 4:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,795
Gold Stars: 222
Always play your strongest team.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team For Welling

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.