Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 267 Guests

Team For Welling

This thread currently has 3,461 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
September 3, 2014, 8:43am
Guest User
Quoted from thevera
If Hurst was to pick a side like that the absent  doom mongers who shout clueless and get him out would be back to their keyboards in a flash.

Appreciate your point but without wanting to sound negative, it might still happen even if we pick the strongest side.
To be frankly honest, I don't think some of the keyboard warrior doomsday objectors will EVER be happy.
And bear in mind, didn't most concede to "assess things after 10 games" ?

One thing they wanted (like we ideally all do I guess) is positive attacking football.
Well if you look at my tactics (without opinions on team selection), can't get more positive than that !

Reply: 10 - 55
Les Brechin
September 3, 2014, 8:51am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,700
Gold Stars: 174
I can't believe anyone would think about leaving Neilson and Brown out, the form they're in at the minute.

Yes, I know we've got another game on Tuesday but these lads are professional footballers and if they can't play 2 games in 3 days then maybe they're in the wrong job though that would probably mean that most of the footballers in The Premiership are.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 55
jimgtfc
September 3, 2014, 8:57am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,084
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from 120797
IMO great opportunity to:
- increase match fitness of fringe players
- see if they can stake a claim before the BIG ONE v Gimps on Tuesday.
- TRY to 'welly Welling', put on another entertaining show bagging 3 points in the process.

I'll go... (calling it "attack attack camp near their box 2-4-4 with the ball, cheered on by the crowd")

.....................McKeown
Walker......Toto......Pearson...Winfarrah
.....v.........Disley(c)...Paddy..........v
Mackreth...............................Arnold
.........\.....Pittman....Hannah....../..

Subs: Bignot, Magnay, Brown, Clay, Neilson.

Risky ?... Well what isn't ?
We lost the last one near full strength (So much is often down to luck on the day ! Never ANY guarantees whichever side you put out...)
Winfarrah and Walker should be very well suited to pushing up in support IMO.
If there's "cracks" there, we'll know more about those young lads, but with them having gained invaluable experience.
Plenty of great subs up our sleeve should we need a late goal (assuming we're not out of sight by H/T) too.
Win with THIS team, we're laughing all the way to Sincil Bank come Gimpsday.
Whatever happens, full strength side will be chomping at the bit, fresh and ready to KICK LINCOLN'S AR5E into the ground.
UTM !

Drop our most in form player and top goal scorer, tactical genius!

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 55
September 3, 2014, 9:05am
Guest User
Quoted from Les Brechin
I can't believe anyone would think about leaving Neilson and Brown out, the form they're in at the minute.

Yes, I know we've got another game on Tuesday but these lads are professional footballers and if they can't play 2 games in 3 days then maybe they're in the wrong job though that would probably mean that most of the footballers in The Premiership are.  

Fair points Les, it's more a case of getting others involved + "match fitter" really.
And just in case we get even more injuries/suspensions too...

All depends which way you want to look at it I suppose...
I've no doubt we could play the strongest side in both games and win both games.
But have to say too, we've also arguably got more chance v Lincoln on Tuesday with key performers fully rested up.
If we could beat Welling with an understrength side (and let's face facts here, it gonna be anyway !), we're laughing.
But yeah, I see both sides to the argument of course...
Reply: 13 - 55
September 3, 2014, 9:17am
Guest User
Quoted from jimgtfc

Drop our most in form player and top goal scorer, tactical genius!

Well to be honest, do you think he can play every game all season ?
Judging by Hursty taking him off as sub after 70 mins last season , got my doubts tbh !
Not that I would blame PH here...
Fatigue DOES play it's part (albeit perhaps not quite as much yet) and maybe last thing we want is a talented side knackered out towards the finish line.
Just saying, maybe it's worth keeping an eye on the long term too ?

Anyway, have made my points so won't hog the thread all morning.
Good day to you all fellow mariners
Reply: 14 - 55
acko338
September 3, 2014, 9:20am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,226
Gold Stars: 33
Strongest line up on Saturday from the off - try to be on top, ie winning comfortably, and in a good position to withdraw key players in the second half to save them from injuries ready for Tuesday. Both matches need to be won - it may take the strongest team in both matches to do it - they have time to rest in late May onwards on sunny beaches !!

Playing two games per week is the same for full time & part time teams - we should be prepared for this to happen over the next few weeks, and adapt some positional substitutions to take account of weary legs / niggly injuries.

Those in form and scoring goals will want to be out there to continue - biggest thing for me is continued dissent bookings - this WILL catch up with the back four in the next two months !!

Boyce back here whenever possible, didn't get off the sub's bench last night, so only looked at as back up presently - pray for no injuries or suspensions at Scunny in the back four !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 55
chaos33
September 3, 2014, 9:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,926
Gold Stars: 356
Enforced changes I guess. I'd be keeping key players Brown and Neilson in - they are playing very well, we are only a few weeks into the season and they've had a full week without a game, so no need to rest them. Probably change to 4-4-2 and bring in Walker for Boyce. Paddy and Brown in the middle. Harsh on Clay, but not dropping him as such - I'd bring in Mackreth to fit the system better and replace LJL with whichever one of Hannah or Arnold was fittest.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 55
Mariners_15
September 3, 2014, 10:08am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Why are you so obsessed with tinkering 80's? 6-1, 7-0 then a 2-1 defeat due to a bad refereeing performance and going down to 10 men after 30 minutes? Keep the team the same, keep the momentum going! Only changes we need to make are ones forced upon us, Hannah in for LJL and Bignot in for Boyce and shift Toto over to his favoured CB position...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 55
oldun
September 3, 2014, 11:55am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from 120797

Appreciate your objections of course.
But may I ask, when IS that time ?... (FA Trophy in December ?  )
If we get injuries before then, we may be forced to "tinker" bringing in unused players anyway.
Perhaps Hurst has signings/cover on the horizon but are we happy to risk that ?
Sorry, also how long are you prepared to leave a key player/captain like Disley out for ?

See your point but not in my book it's not !

And full back !

So what are we saying here ?...
Whether they're 'enforced' or whether Hurst just decides they're IN, still the same team = same end product !
Suppose I just don't think we'll get a better chance than this...
End of the day it's gonna be "rotation" whether we like it or not !
In for a penny in for pound I say - let's get them all fit, all chipping in.  
tbf it's hardly the youth team either, some very good and promising players in there IMO.

PS Si, with all due respect mate, we're ALWAYS going for the win !

sorry 80's I forgot about the loss of Boyce so Bignot at RB for me. Then see how the game pans out, if not going well then changes can be made, or of course if we are winning comfortably then we can give 1 or 2 a rest and give others some game time. We need to set out to get 3 more home points and play our strongest team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 55
lew chaterleys lover
September 3, 2014, 3:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,690
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 120797

Appreciate your point but without wanting to sound negative, it might still happen even if we pick the strongest side.
To be frankly honest, I don't think some of the keyboard warrior doomsday objectors will EVER be happy.
And bear in mind, didn't most concede to "assess things after 10 games" ?

One thing they wanted (like we ideally all do I guess) is positive attacking football.
Well if you look at my tactics (without opinions on team selection), can't get more positive than that !

I will never be as happy as you, that's for sure.

But to be fair - who would want to be?
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team For Welling

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.