Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 3, 2014, 7:40am
IMO great opportunity to:
- increase match fitness of fringe players
- see if they can stake a claim before the BIG ONE v Gimps on Tuesday.
- TRY to 'welly Welling', put on another entertaining show (clap) bagging 3 points in the process.

I'll go... (calling it "attack attack camp near their box 2-4-4 with the ball, cheered on by the crowd")

.....................McKeown
Walker......Toto......Pearson...Winfarrah
.....v.........Disley(c)...Paddy..........v
Mackreth...............................Arnold
.........\.....Pittman....Hannah....../..

Subs: Bignot, Magnay, Brown, Clay, Neilson.

Risky ?... Well what isn't ?
We lost the last one near full strength (So much is often down to luck on the day ! Never ANY guarantees whichever side you put out...)
Winfarrah and Walker should be very well suited to pushing up in support IMO.
If there's "cracks" there, we'll know more about those young lads, but with them having gained invaluable experience.
Plenty of great subs up our sleeve should we need a late goal (assuming we're not out of sight by H/T) too.
Win with THIS team, we're laughing all the way to Sincil Bank come Gimpsday. (lol)
Whatever happens, full strength side will be chomping at the bit, fresh and ready to KICK LINCOLN'S AR5E (smash) into the ground.
UTM ! (dwarf)
Posted by: MrsMariner, September 3, 2014, 7:49am; Reply: 1
Are you mad, no Neilson!, Disley! we'll go back to the plod plod so predictable play of last year and probably draw 1-1, no thanks
Posted by: oldun, September 3, 2014, 7:50am; Reply: 2
No no no. Not the time for tinkering, Lincoln is just another game. Only change should be the enforced one Hannah for Lenny with Arnold on the bench unless anyone else have picked up knocks.
Posted by: psgmariner, September 3, 2014, 7:51am; Reply: 3
Dropping Magnay, Brown and Neilson seems a bit odd. Our only experienced fit full back, our centre midfield engine and our only creative player who is banging in the goals...
Posted by: SamTheMariner, September 3, 2014, 8:03am; Reply: 4
I'd play MacKreth instead of Clay and put Paddy into central midfield, then bring Hannah in for LJL and Bignot for Boyce and play Toto at centre half

McKeown
Bignot.      Pearson.         Toto.           Magnay

MacKreth.  Paddy.           Brown.         Neilson

.                Hannah.         Pittman
Posted by: Simariner, September 3, 2014, 8:12am; Reply: 5
No chance!! Need to go for a win every game and play our strongest possible team. We only took 1 point from Welling last season.

I'd go with the same team as Sat apart from Bignob for Boyce and Hannah for LJL
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, September 3, 2014, 8:17am; Reply: 6
Quoted from oldun
No no no. Not the time for tinkering, Lincoln is just another game. Only change should be the enforced one Hannah for Lenny with Arnold on the bench unless anyone else have picked up knocks.

this. Bignot for Boyce?subs: walker caine Dizza Arnold mackreth?

Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 3, 2014, 8:18am; Reply: 7
Quoted from oldun
No no no. Not the time for tinkering

Appreciate your objections of course.
But may I ask, when IS that time ?... (FA Trophy in December ?  :-/)
If we get injuries before then, we may be forced to "tinker" bringing in unused players anyway.
Perhaps Hurst has signings/cover on the horizon but are we happy to risk that ?
Sorry, also how long are you prepared to leave a key player/captain like Disley out for ?

Quoted from oldun
Lincoln is just another game.

See your point but not in my book it's not ! ??)

Quoted from oldun
Only change should be the enforced one Hannah for Lenny with Arnold on the bench unless anyone else have picked up knocks.

And full back !

So what are we saying here ?...
Whether they're 'enforced' or whether Hurst just decides they're IN, still the same team = same end product !
Suppose I just don't think we'll get a better chance than this...
End of the day it's gonna be "rotation" whether we like it or not !
In for a penny in for pound I say - let's get them all fit, all chipping in.  
tbf it's hardly the youth team either, some very good and promising players in there IMO.

PS Si, with all due respect mate, we're ALWAYS going for the win !
Posted by: thevera, September 3, 2014, 8:29am; Reply: 8
You may have correctly predicted 6 of the starting line up there 80's.
If Hurst was to pick a side like that the absent  doom mongers who shout clueless and get him out would be back to their keyboards in a flash.
Hannah and Bignot or Walker in, the rest unchanged for me, then if we are three up at time introduce Mackreth and Arnold. It's Lincoln on Tuesday not the play offs
Posted by: Maringer, September 3, 2014, 8:32am; Reply: 9
If Arnold is back fit and ready to start, I'd imagine he ought to come into the team.

I'm guessing a 4-4-2 with the wingers allowed to push on given the opportunity to make it closer to 4-3-3. Neilson's form means that he ought to be the one pushing on further most of the time. Therefore, I'd go with:

McKeown

Bignot  Nsiala  Pearson  Magnay

Neilson  Clay  Brown  Arnold

Pittman  Hannah

Subs:  Disley, Mackreth, Walker, McLaughlin, Winfarrah
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 3, 2014, 8:43am; Reply: 10
Quoted from thevera
If Hurst was to pick a side like that the absent  doom mongers who shout clueless and get him out would be back to their keyboards in a flash.

Appreciate your point but without wanting to sound negative, it might still happen even if we pick the strongest side.
To be frankly honest, I don't think some of the keyboard warrior doomsday objectors will EVER be happy.
And bear in mind, didn't most concede to "assess things after 10 games" ?

One thing they wanted (like we ideally all do I guess) is positive attacking football.
Well if you look at my tactics (without opinions on team selection), can't get more positive than that !

Posted by: Les Brechin, September 3, 2014, 8:51am; Reply: 11
I can't believe anyone would think about leaving Neilson and Brown out, the form they're in at the minute.

Yes, I know we've got another game on Tuesday but these lads are professional footballers and if they can't play 2 games in 3 days then maybe they're in the wrong job though that would probably mean that most of the footballers in The Premiership are.  ;D
Posted by: jimgtfc, September 3, 2014, 8:57am; Reply: 12
Quoted from 120797
- TRY to 'welly Welling', put on another entertaining show (clap) bagging 3 points in the process.

I'll go... (calling it "attack attack camp near their box 2-4-4 with the ball, cheered on by the crowd")

We lost the last one near full strength (So much is often down to luck on the day ! Never ANY guarantees whichever side you put out...)
If there's "cracks" there, we'll know more about those young lads, but with them having gained invaluable experience.
Plenty of great subs up our sleeve should we need a late goal (assuming we're not out of sight by H/T) too.
Win with THIS team, we're laughing all the way to Sincil Bank come Gimpsday. (lol)
Whatever happens, full strength side will be chomping at the bit, fresh and ready to KICK LINCOLN'S AR5E (smash) into the ground.
UTM ! (dwarf)

Drop our most in form player and top goal scorer, tactical genius!

Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 3, 2014, 9:05am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Les Brechin
I can't believe anyone would think about leaving Neilson and Brown out, the form they're in at the minute.

Yes, I know we've got another game on Tuesday but these lads are professional footballers and if they can't play 2 games in 3 days then maybe they're in the wrong job though that would probably mean that most of the footballers in The Premiership are.  ;D

Fair points Les, it's more a case of getting others involved + "match fitter" really.
And just in case we get even more injuries/suspensions too...

All depends which way you want to look at it I suppose...
I've no doubt we could play the strongest side in both games and win both games.
But have to say too, we've also arguably got more chance v Lincoln on Tuesday with key performers fully rested up.
If we could beat Welling with an understrength side (and let's face facts here, it gonna be anyway !), we're laughing.
But yeah, I see both sides to the argument of course...
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 3, 2014, 9:17am; Reply: 14
Quoted from jimgtfc

Drop our most in form player and top goal scorer, tactical genius!

Well to be honest, do you think he can play every game all season ?
Judging by Hursty taking him off as sub after 70 mins last season , got my doubts tbh !
Not that I would blame PH here...
Fatigue DOES play it's part (albeit perhaps not quite as much yet) and maybe last thing we want is a talented side knackered out towards the finish line.
Just saying, maybe it's worth keeping an eye on the long term too ?

Anyway, have made my points so won't hog the thread all morning.
Good day to you all fellow mariners :)
Posted by: acko338, September 3, 2014, 9:20am; Reply: 15
Strongest line up on Saturday from the off - try to be on top, ie winning comfortably, and in a good position to withdraw key players in the second half to save them from injuries ready for Tuesday. Both matches need to be won - it may take the strongest team in both matches to do it - they have time to rest in late May onwards on sunny beaches !!

Playing two games per week is the same for full time & part time teams - we should be prepared for this to happen over the next few weeks, and adapt some positional substitutions to take account of weary legs / niggly injuries.

Those in form and scoring goals will want to be out there to continue - biggest thing for me is continued dissent bookings - this WILL catch up with the back four in the next two months !!

Boyce back here whenever possible, didn't get off the sub's bench last night, so only looked at as back up presently - pray for no injuries or suspensions at Scunny in the back four !
Posted by: chaos33, September 3, 2014, 9:39am; Reply: 16
Enforced changes I guess. I'd be keeping key players Brown and Neilson in - they are playing very well, we are only a few weeks into the season and they've had a full week without a game, so no need to rest them. Probably change to 4-4-2 and bring in Walker for Boyce. Paddy and Brown in the middle. Harsh on Clay, but not dropping him as such - I'd bring in Mackreth to fit the system better and replace LJL with whichever one of Hannah or Arnold was fittest.
Posted by: Mariners_15, September 3, 2014, 10:08am; Reply: 17
Why are you so obsessed with tinkering 80's? 6-1, 7-0 then a 2-1 defeat due to a bad refereeing performance and going down to 10 men after 30 minutes? Keep the team the same, keep the momentum going! Only changes we need to make are ones forced upon us, Hannah in for LJL and Bignot in for Boyce and shift Toto over to his favoured CB position...
Posted by: oldun, September 3, 2014, 11:55am; Reply: 18
Quoted from 120797

Appreciate your objections of course.
But may I ask, when IS that time ?... (FA Trophy in December ?  :-/)
If we get injuries before then, we may be forced to "tinker" bringing in unused players anyway.
Perhaps Hurst has signings/cover on the horizon but are we happy to risk that ?
Sorry, also how long are you prepared to leave a key player/captain like Disley out for ?

See your point but not in my book it's not ! ??)

And full back !

So what are we saying here ?...
Whether they're 'enforced' or whether Hurst just decides they're IN, still the same team = same end product !
Suppose I just don't think we'll get a better chance than this...
End of the day it's gonna be "rotation" whether we like it or not !
In for a penny in for pound I say - let's get them all fit, all chipping in.  
tbf it's hardly the youth team either, some very good and promising players in there IMO.

PS Si, with all due respect mate, we're ALWAYS going for the win !

sorry 80's I forgot about the loss of Boyce so Bignot at RB for me. Then see how the game pans out, if not going well then changes can be made, or of course if we are winning comfortably then we can give 1 or 2 a rest and give others some game time. We need to set out to get 3 more home points and play our strongest team.

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 3, 2014, 3:45pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from 120797

Appreciate your point but without wanting to sound negative, it might still happen even if we pick the strongest side.
To be frankly honest, I don't think some of the keyboard warrior doomsday objectors will EVER be happy.
And bear in mind, didn't most concede to "assess things after 10 games" ?

One thing they wanted (like we ideally all do I guess) is positive attacking football.
Well if you look at my tactics (without opinions on team selection), can't get more positive than that !

I will never be as happy as you, that's for sure.

But to be fair - who would want to be?
Posted by: TAGG, September 3, 2014, 3:55pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from 120797

UTM ! (dwarf)

You are fookin nuts.  

Posted by: Hagrid, September 3, 2014, 4:06pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from TAGG

You are fookin nuts.  

;D
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 3, 2014, 4:25pm; Reply: 22
Bar the enforced changes we have to make, we shouldn't be making any changes whatsoever.   By all accounts we played well on Saturday and it was only the sending off and silly mistakes that cost us, not the overall performance.

Bignot in for Boyce (Toto moving to centre-back).  Hannah in for LJL.

That simple.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 3, 2014, 4:48pm; Reply: 23
It's only Welling, so I'd think about giving Bastock a go in goal.
Posted by: rancido, September 3, 2014, 5:02pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Abdul19

We should never underestimate any team in this league. It was only Dover but they came very close to turning us over. We should play our strongest eleven for every league game this season tt try to ensure we achieve the top spot at the end of the season.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 3, 2014, 5:08pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Mariners_15
Why are you so obsessed with tinkering 80's?

I'd like a settled side as much as possible like everyone else.
But for me, "as much as possible" doesn't mean "SAME team EVERY game !

For THIS game, I've talked about players gaining match fitness, extra rest, risk of injury, fatigue, possible lack of replacements, Lincoln etc.
It's all there ! (did you not read ?!)

It's you and others who use these so called "obsessions" and "changes FOR THE SAKE OF IT" arguments, not me.

Truth is I'm not obsessed at all.
But if we NEVER bring in these squad players, the problems (above) are gonna remain & be same (like a ticking timebomb) every week.

Just ask Fergie why he didn't always put his strongest side out every Premiership game (before he won it) and maybe you'll be closer to the answer of success...

"But they had a stronger squad !" I hear you say.

Even relatively speaking, of course they did - they USED theirs !
Like they say "IT'S A SQUAD GAME" (but it's not "just for the sake of it")

Before Aldershot it was generally "never change a winning team"
What the killer rule now ?
"Never change the team" ?!!

Sorry, it's the same old (since disproven) arguments we heard even back in the FA Trophy 1st round.
Time and time again we changed the team and won.
People still refused to accept the fact it worked even when it did !!!

Whatever you think of the Trophy, it served us well, helped get us to Wembley, still made no difference ! :(
"Tinker" at Gateshead and win ? Oh that's different, it's Neilson !

Quoted from Mariners_15
Hannah in for LJL and Bignot in for Boyce and shift Toto over to his favoured CB position...

Out of interest, what would you have said had Hurst made those changes (you want now) through his own choice at Aldershot ?
You wouldn't have liked it then, even though you want it right now ?
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 3, 2014, 5:10pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from oldun
sorry 80's I forgot about the loss of Boyce so Bignot at RB for me.

No need to apologise at all oldun.
Yep, can see the logic there.  
A very able full back and valued squad member.
If if wasn't a case of resting players for Lincoln, I'd be playing him too !

Quoted from oldun
if we are winning comfortably then we can give 1 or 2 a rest and give others some game time.

Always a worthy alternative ! (great point from you & acko...)
With the proviso it's all possible of course. (no easy task !)
Not that I'll be complaining if we can't quite manage that desired 2/3 goal cushion on the day either.
Obviously I'd love to see a cricket score but certainly not expecting it by any means !
1-0 will do me just fine.

Quoted from oldun
We need to set out to get 3 more home points

Whichever side we put out I totally agree.

Quoted from oldun
and play our strongest team.

Well team selection all subjective to an extent but yes, obviously point taken.
We'll politely agree to disagree and I'd play the strongest possible team (i.e. stronger than everyone else's in terms of fitness) at Lincoln instead.

tbh think Brown and Clay may both be better off focusing on those "closing down" roles (ala Gateshead) v Lincoln too.
I've no idea about Welling tbh and they clearly deserve respect - it won't be easy for sure.
But equally wonder whether playing at home with worthy replacements available, if Clay and Brown's inclusion might turn out to be a case of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. (I guess not but who knows...)
Posted by: mariner tommy, September 3, 2014, 5:22pm; Reply: 27
You must be mad.

Strongest team available for every game.

No messing about. Sorted.

UTM
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, September 3, 2014, 5:36pm; Reply: 28
Lincoln is not the biggest game until 5pm Saturday, every next game is biggest. We must put points on board and nearly all on here have in past said our home form needs improving so we must pick our best 11 for all our home games.
For me Hannah for the Shop and Bignot for Boyce, Toto to CB
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 3, 2014, 6:33pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from chaos33
we are only a few weeks into the season and they've had a full week without a game, so no need to rest them.

Yet only a matter of seconds into the Aldershot post match interview Hurst said:
"And a massive ask playing Saturday Monday to then have to play a game [i.e. Saturday] with 10 men..."

Yes we beat bottom of the table 7-0 but these things have a knock on effect.
If not straight away then later...

Not rocket science to figure out the very same players might feel slightly jaded or not 100% come Tuesday.
Even if we win both (and we may do), the same side can't just keep playing and winning forever...

Sorry, people can say "We MUST..." all they like !
Success doesn't always come from how much fans WANT it or we'd already be in Europe.

Quoted from rancido
We should play our strongest eleven for every league game this season tt try to ensure we achieve the top spot at the end of the season.

Ok let's say we try to do that and just miss out, hitting the playoffs.

Suddenly there's a mass injury crisis - 4 players are out !

It's ok to call on 4 backup players (let's say Disley, Walker, Winfarrah, Humble) who haven't kicked a competitive football ALL season because it's suddenly "our strongest eleven" ?

Please name me your strongest XI stating how they can play (and presumably win) every game while remaining fresh as a daisy.
Or alternatively, just say under what circumstances when you would make changes...

Quoted from Abdul19

Where have I underestimated them ?
I said it was a risk. (just like defeat at Aldershot was..)

Out of interest (since we agree Welling are a fair threat), what if we lose on Saturday ?
All things being equal, what's your team for Tuesday ?

Is it:
a) "just keep it the same again this and each game" (cos we keep losing but it's still the strongest)
or
b) "ring the changes" (that maybe should been there in the first place Sat in the easier game) ?

Posted by: mariner tommy, September 3, 2014, 8:24pm; Reply: 30
You ought to change the title of this thread from "Team for Welling"

To "the 80sglory thread"

UTM
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 3, 2014, 11:09pm; Reply: 31
Or maybe I'm not the only one and you're not paying quite enough attention ?
But no worries, it's your own choice what to think.

Safe to assume making unforced changes is a minority viewpoint.
Doesn't take Einstein to work out it's what 98% of "online GTFC supporters" want.
Got news for you though - minority fan viewpoints are sometimes, maybe often right !
If weight of "fan opinion" over team selection was that valuable or simple, don't you think we'd have already cracked promotion by now ?...

It's a shame (and quite ironic) many who won't look further than the "next game" are happy enough to look back at past resultS (i.e. MANY games) and be willing to criticize at will if it goes wrong.
Perhaps even months or seasons if the team THEY wanted themselves doesn't deliver on the day !

No sympathy, no quarter given + everything demanded of others presumably only here to serve and deliver for YOU.

But live and let live, it's all fine by me.
Just don't feel you have any right to complain or feel disgruntled if the "same team" you want doesn't win again, that's all.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, September 4, 2014, 7:57am; Reply: 32
If the same team plays and wins then do you have to be quiet?
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), September 4, 2014, 8:03am; Reply: 33
Quoted from 120797
Or maybe I'm not the only one and you're not paying quite enough attention ?
But no worries, it's your own choice what to think.

Safe to assume making unforced changes is a minority viewpoint.
Doesn't take Einstein to work out it's what 98% of "online GTFC supporters" want.
Got news for you though - minority fan viewpoints are sometimes, maybe often right !
If weight of "fan opinion" over team selection was that valuable or simple, don't you think we'd have already cracked promotion by now ?...

It's a shame (and quite ironic) many who won't look further than the "next game" are happy enough to look back at past resultS (i.e. MANY games) and be willing to criticize at will if it goes wrong.
Perhaps even months or seasons if the team THEY wanted themselves doesn't deliver on the day !

No sympathy, no quarter given + everything demanded of others presumably only here to serve and deliver for YOU.

But live and let live, it's all fine by me.
Just don't feel you have any right to complain or feel disgruntled if the "same team" you want doesn't win again, that's all.

Ok 80's let me throw my two pence in. I don't know much, however I know a little about players preparedness, readiness and/or fatigue.

You are right when you say it's a squad game and fatigue (neurological and physiological  ;) ) leads to reduced performance and increased injury risk. This is a fact. It is also true that this can happen so soon into the season (Luke shaws injury And just watch Fulham get on this season after their double sessions).

However I find it quite amusing how you try and justify certain players having a rest over others- and are so convinced by your own arguments.

These decisions are not made on a gut feeling of a manager anymore and certainly not on the whim of someone with zero access to crucial players data!

With limited info on the players state all you can say is what players you want to see play, based on current form. Everything else is just a guess and to try and form a credible argument from this base is impossible.

It's all about monitoring- there are ways of scientifically monitoring players by using things like omegawave pro (physiological) and functional movement screens (neurological)- and if clubs can't afford omegawave you can buy reliable apps for 6 quid that players can do on a daily basis at home.

This daily data tells you what state your players are in. You therefore change the intensities of your training sessions to match this data- so you always have a well prepared squad. There shouldn't be a need for mass wholesale changes every week  as you change training intensity that brings the players down into a safe zone. A well prepared zone. Ready for high performance.

however, If by the time of a game the players physiological data is down then they would be a risk to injury and reduced performance And need to be rested. If the players neurological system is down, which the movement screening picks up (like carrying a knock) then they have physio sessions to try and bump up this score- if they can't they don't play.

Also, in terms of return to play post injury you suggest Arnold to start. The Belgium physio Raymond verheijen is very vocal on this if you are interested. Basically, going from 45 mins in a friendly into a starting berth is a huge injury risk- even if the physiological and neurological system is up to speed- unless of course you plan on bringing on neilson after 30 mins!

Posted by: chaos33, September 4, 2014, 9:37am; Reply: 34
Excellent informative post Salford.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 4, 2014, 11:44am; Reply: 35
Bah, what did science ever prove? ;)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 4, 2014, 12:33pm; Reply: 36
Keep changes to a minimum, make sure you get three points on Saturday than worry about Tuesday on Monday morning. If we get 3 ahead after an hour then rest whoever but you get the same number of points for a win in this league whether you are playing Welling or Lincoln.
Posted by: Meza, September 4, 2014, 12:48pm; Reply: 37
Not only that Salford, but player happiness, getting dropped (not rested as most players will see it at that I know I would) may create loss of form, we know if someone is not on form they use to get dropped into the reserves to try and reclaim that form and someone else steps up to the plate and stake a claim, however when the player initially rested (dropped) they lose momentum.
Posted by: fiveallive, September 4, 2014, 3:47pm; Reply: 38
McKeown

Walker
Nsiala
Pearson (c)
Magnay

Mackreth
Brown
Paddy
Nielson

Pittman
Hannah

Winfarrah
Disley
Clay
Arnold
Bemrose.

Changed Walker for Bignot because still got a injury.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 4, 2014, 10:26pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from 3610
These decisions are not made on a gut feeling of a manager anymore and certainly not on the whim of someone with zero access to crucial players data!

Don't see how this is really relevant to my opinion at all !

You've brought up match fitness.
Like I said, excellent idea by the club to put on the midweek game.
You can't say even more match time wouldn't help fitness levels even more though.
So apart from me apparently not knowing what I'm talking about, what's your point ?

Since you're focusing purely on fitness, can only assume you haven't read all the ACTUAL reasons I gave and have just decided to go off on your own tangent.
I'm not going to repeat them all again a 3rd time...

And not sure how you can say I'm so convinced by my own arguments when I've already conceded my team selection is "risky" and have already seen both sides to the argument.
In light of your own words below, can only assume you've come up with a lot of irrelevant scientific waffle to try to discredit my opinion.

In any case, how do YOU know what Hurst is thinking ?
You've got first hand insight into the club ?
Please share your working role at GTFC...

Quoted from 3610
With limited info on the players state all you can say is what players you want to see play, based on current form

Well that's your own opinion and certainly a valid enough one in theory, it may often be right !

That said, I've looked at your own "Team for Gateshead" and see you went for Connell.
Think I did too, the difference is, I'm not claiming it's all down to "current form" at all !  

Especially as Pittman came on as sub at Dover, generally impressed and maybe more importantly, looked the business pre-season. (note how some actually GO to these games and are paying attention ?)

VERY interesting indeed you said...
Quoted from 3610
This for me but I would have Connell instead of Pittman. Think we need to manage him carefully this year to help reduce injuries.

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1408389851/s-0/#num4

Doesn't sounds like "all you can say is what players you want to see play, based on current form" at all !!! ??) ??)
Please forgive me if I think you're flip flopping talking a load of codswallop.

All your physiological info is all very interesting.
Like you say "fatigue (neurological and physiological   ) leads to reduced performance and increased injury risk."

Point is some/most fans want us to win EVERY game AND just keep picking the same players every week.
Doesn't take rocket science to work out that target is impossible or the situation is perhaps gonna unravel at some point.

Some often ask "why did our form dip post Xmas ?"
Well fatigue is what happens when you ask players to play so many games in such a short space of time, often it's even less.
You don't need a degree in physiology to work that one out !
I'd also add people have eyes and can see when players are looking jaded too.

Again, the situation arguably isn't helped by those complaining whenever Hurst makes the odd change perhaps thinking long term.
I would really LOVE to know what type of manager those who want Hurst out would like to replace him with.
Presumably one who can play the same 11 players for 46 games and win the lot - dream on !

Quoted from 3610
Everything else is just a guess and to try and form a credible argument from this base is impossible.

Course it's a guess ! (and they're often right)
What do you expect people to do, never guess or have an opinion ?

I notice it didn't stop YOU putting up YOUR own team or saying you would rest Pittman ?!!!
Out of interest what's your "creditable argument" regarding team selection Sat ?
Or are you flip flopping again now just deciding to sit on the fence ?

Put it this way, I'm not entirely suprised Nsiala (a big strapping centre back) didn't have the greatest game playing so many games in such a short space of time in a RB role which was asking him to get up and down the channels.
Not to mention his suitability for that role (which I & others mentioned beforehand...)

Sometimes you don't always need state of the art fitness technology, just a set of eyes and a bit of realism and common sense.
Like I've already said too, I don't blame Hurst because guess he was under massive pressure from unsatisifed keyboard warriors to pick the team THEY wanted him to.

So of course I don't know the exact state of the players, no more than anyone else including yourself.
Doesn't mean you can't spot the dangers ahead though !

But of course it's not all about fitness by any means.
Players who may fit particular systems better, opposition etc etc are all relevant points.

But yet again, it doesn't take rocket science to work out gaining match fitness and PRACTICE (notice the difference there ?) is also helpful to those not currently involved.
As surely just proven by Hurst's recent comments just made on MP...

So in conclusion, I won't dispute all your info about player monitoring etc.
But in light of your above contradiction not sure I trust it's worth or value even it was relevant to the points I made !

Regarding "guesses", facts are some outcomes speak for themselves.
If 98% choose a team and others who don't (who give their reasons beforehand why and are partly vindicated) it's fair to say the 2% knew what they were talking about at the time if some of those "issues" crop up during the game.

This is what people who know about football are judged on (by fair and objective people), just the same the same way managers are.

For example if JF was as kneejerk as most on here and didn't take into account our improvements in recent seasons, he'd have got rid of Hurst and arguably made a big mistake.

We're all guessing but some guesses better than others.
Weight of opinion is therefore not all it's cracked up to be unless bums on seats become a factor.
And thank goodness some often guess correctly to actually HELP the club instead of questioning or complaining all the time...
Posted by: fiveallive, September 4, 2014, 11:10pm; Reply: 40
I agree that resting players is a good thing to keep a squad fresh but i think its to early on in the season to rest players

Mckeown used to playing every week, Bignot hasn't had much game time been injured, Pearson had his suspension, Magnay could get a rest when Thomas is fit, hopefully Brown could be like Groves for fitness, Mackreth been a bit part player so far, Disley been rested, Hannah been injured, Nielson had his suspension, Doig ready to come in, LJL getting a rest with his suspension, Clay (i would rest him for saturday play him against Lincoln when we should pressing and squeezing teams away from home), Pittman getting a few game after injuries, Arnold not fully fit, Nsiala if he needs resting we have Doig, Walker and Winfarrah also available with bemrose.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 4, 2014, 11:14pm; Reply: 41
Forgive me if I've read it wrong, but do you really believe fan pressure has any bearing on the team PH picks? He's a manager of a professional football club, I doubt he gives two hoots who an unqualified tit like me thinks he should play at right back!
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 5, 2014, 2:56am; Reply: 42
Honestly wouldn't underestimate your own opinion as a clearly travelled supporter but well, who knows maybe you're right it's all hypothetical opinion !

No worries anyway looking forward to Sat, should be a good game.

UTM
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 5, 2014, 3:48am; Reply: 43
Quoted from fiveallive
I agree that resting players is a good thing to keep a squad fresh but i think its to early on in the season to rest players

Mckeown used to playing every week, Bignot hasn't had much game time been injured, Pearson had his suspension, Magnay could get a rest when Thomas is fit, hopefully Brown could be like Groves for fitness, Mackreth been a bit part player so far, Disley been rested, Hannah been injured, Nielson had his suspension, Doig ready to come in, LJL getting a rest with his suspension, Clay (i would rest him for saturday play him against Lincoln when we should pressing and squeezing teams away from home), Pittman getting a few game after injuries, Arnold not fully fit, Nsiala if he needs resting we have Doig, Walker and Winfarrah also available with bemrose.

Gonna give you a +1 for this !

Well I agree but even if you do, gotta be careful, no point bringing in Doigy just for the sake of it especially if he's assistant, good he's there btw but for me it's a no brainer. Bemrose ? Let's be positive...
Equally bearing in mind the thinner the squad is, more arguable reasons to make use of it.

Let's be honest, some are ready to go.
Some were ready to go but are STILL ready to go. [edit: thats what I really meant...]
How long you persevere with certain players over 2 games in 3 days maybe a factor.
If you don't want to risk too much subs (depending on who they are) may be a safer possibility.
I always think it's good to finish strong at home attacking the Pontoon. (we always try to ?), I'd seriously at least consider bringing on Neilson (save him for LIncoln too ?) or Arnold !
With 25 mins left to wreak havoc in light of our lack of available forward players and 2 games ahead. (unless you hit them early maybe)

Bear in mind Lincoln could yet be the spark that ignites the season but yes, as always 1 game at a time, let's just see what happens on the day, got to optimistic I suppose.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 5, 2014, 4:24am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Meza
Not only that Salford, but player happiness, getting dropped (not rested as most players will see it at that I know I would) may create loss of form, we know if someone is not on form they use to get dropped into the reserves to try and reclaim that form and someone else steps up to the plate and stake a claim, however when the player initially rested (dropped) they lose momentum.

True however thinking pros (v cons), could also say no-ones place is safe (they might be back in soon anyway), keep them on their toes, increase competition for places etc.
But indeed, it all needs to be considered very carefully, implemented properly (if appropriate) + luck on the day.
Fact is there are no surefire definitive answers that will ever guarantee anyone 3 points, no one said it was ever easy !

Quoted from Rodley Mariner
If the same team plays and wins then do you have to be quiet?

Always happy to have a happy night off.  :)
End of the day it's Hurst's responsibility to manage the entire squad over the course of a long season.
No easy task especially if you're not full strength IMO.
Obviously an early goal could help.
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, September 5, 2014, 5:26am; Reply: 45
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Keep changes to a minimum, make sure you get three points on Saturday than worry about Tuesday on Monday morning. If we get 3 ahead after an hour then rest whoever but you get the same number of points for a win in this league whether you are playing Welling or Lincoln.

Now this makes sense........

Posted by: Neilo83, September 5, 2014, 6:36am; Reply: 46
Was 80s glory always a wum?
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), September 5, 2014, 9:29am; Reply: 47
In reply to 80's glory.

I seriously can't be bothered to answer this in too much detail and
I don't wanna get into any of your lengthy arguments.

All I will say is I thought I would give some insight into professional sport and the management/rotation of players- as you were beating this drum so loudly.

Regarding my pitman comments- I stand by these. He will have to be managed carefully this season with an injury record as his.

At the time of writing (and bringing my comments back into context) it relates to my last point in the previous post about Arnold- you don't need his data- it's about return to play so soon after injury. He played one full pre season game and then got injured straight after/during game. He didn't get slowly re-introduced which is highly recommended by the best in the industry.

but he hasn't got injured since and is playing well so full credit to hurst and co- a risk worth taking? (By keeping the momentum going as has been said by others?!)

Anyway, Off to do some more 'codswallop' as a job now. Have fun.
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, September 5, 2014, 12:05pm; Reply: 48
Oh 80s glory have you heard the phrase quit while your ahead well your not ahead on this thread but just quit..... ;)
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, September 5, 2014, 12:49pm; Reply: 49
why a massive debate ?

change the shop for hannah, and put toto in middle for boyce, and bignot at RB.

no arguments needed
Posted by: Maringer, September 5, 2014, 1:19pm; Reply: 50
Comments from last weekend were that we were less than convincing after LJL's red card with Pittman and Hannah up front. Obviously, we were down to ten men which would have had an impact, but I think we could do with a bit more attacking intent than playing 3 central midfielders. That's why I'd personally put Arnold on the left (if he is fit enough) in place of McLaughlin and stick Neilson on the right.

The alternative is that we try 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 with Neilson playing either as one of the front 3 or in 'the hole' behind the front two. Would Clay/Brown/McLaughlin have the legs to play as a central 3, I wonder?
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, September 5, 2014, 2:31pm; Reply: 51
Hannah didn't come on till late on last week.
Posted by: Maringer, September 5, 2014, 2:34pm; Reply: 52
Ah, right. I obviously didn't read the match reports properly because I actually went to the Newcastle game on the Saturday afternoon then straight out at night in Clee when I got home. It's not easy to read forums on your phone when driving down the A1, even as a passenger.
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 5, 2014, 3:10pm; Reply: 53
Does anybody realise this is the week of the full moon and as a psychiatric worker we always tried to avoid night shifts on these weeks,maybe explains some of the comments on this thread.
Posted by: rancido, September 5, 2014, 3:18pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Maringer
Comments from last weekend were that we were less than convincing after LJL's red card with Pittman and Hannah up front. Obviously, we were down to ten men which would have had an impact, but I think we could do with a bit more attacking intent than playing 3 central midfielders. That's why I'd personally put Arnold on the left (if he is fit enough) in place of McLaughlin and stick Neilson on the right.

The alternative is that we try 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 with Neilson playing either as one of the front 3 or in 'the hole' behind the front two. Would Clay/Brown/McLaughlin have the legs to play as a central 3, I wonder?

I'm sure they would and have demonstrated so far this season that they can cover a lot of ground effectively. They are all very mobile players and Brown especially has shown a lot energy in his contribution thus far. I like this combination in mid-field and think they will serve us well. It's nice to see Paddy play in his more " natural role" and his performances have proved what an asset he is when used properly.

On another note it's nice to see the supposed myth, that Hurst is a hoof ball merchant, put to rest. In the GET he clearly states that he has never advocated playing the long ball and has never set the team up to do so. I think in the past the team has resorted to this when either under pressure or haven't had the confidence in themselves to try something different.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 5, 2014, 4:46pm; Reply: 55
Always play your strongest team.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 4:17pm