Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,969
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from 120797
IMO great opportunity to:
- increase match fitness of fringe players
- see if they can stake a claim before the BIG ONE v Gimps on Tuesday.
- TRY to 'welly Welling', put on another entertaining show bagging 3 points in the process.

I'll go... (calling it "attack attack camp near their box 2-4-4 with the ball, cheered on by the crowd")

.....................McKeown
Walker......Toto......Pearson...Winfarrah
.....v.........Disley(c)...Paddy..........v
Mackreth...............................Arnold
.........\.....Pittman....Hannah....../..

Subs: Bignot, Magnay, Brown, Clay, Neilson.

Risky ?... Well what isn't ?
We lost the last one near full strength (So much is often down to luck on the day ! Never ANY guarantees whichever side you put out...)
Winfarrah and Walker should be very well suited to pushing up in support IMO.
If there's "cracks" there, we'll know more about those young lads, but with them having gained invaluable experience.
Plenty of great subs up our sleeve should we need a late goal (assuming we're not out of sight by H/T) too.
Win with THIS team, we're laughing all the way to Sincil Bank come Gimpsday.
Whatever happens, full strength side will be chomping at the bit, fresh and ready to KICK LINCOLN'S AR5E into the ground.
UTM !

You are fookin nuts.  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
Hagrid
September 3, 2014, 4:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,377
Gold Stars: 527
Quoted from TAGG

You are fookin nuts.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
diehardmariner
September 3, 2014, 4:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,401
Gold Stars: 532
Bar the enforced changes we have to make, we shouldn't be making any changes whatsoever.   By all accounts we played well on Saturday and it was only the sending off and silly mistakes that cost us, not the overall performance.

Bignot in for Boyce (Toto moving to centre-back).  Hannah in for LJL.

That simple.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 55
Abdul19
September 3, 2014, 4:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
It's only Welling, so I'd think about giving Bastock a go in goal.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
rancido
September 3, 2014, 5:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,526
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Abdul19

We should never underestimate any team in this league. It was only Dover but they came very close to turning us over. We should play our strongest eleven for every league game this season tt try to ensure we achieve the top spot at the end of the season.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
September 3, 2014, 5:08pm
Guest User
Quoted from Mariners_15
Why are you so obsessed with tinkering 80's?

I'd like a settled side as much as possible like everyone else.
But for me, "as much as possible" doesn't mean "SAME team EVERY game !

For THIS game, I've talked about players gaining match fitness, extra rest, risk of injury, fatigue, possible lack of replacements, Lincoln etc.
It's all there ! (did you not read ?!)

It's you and others who use these so called "obsessions" and "changes FOR THE SAKE OF IT" arguments, not me.

Truth is I'm not obsessed at all.
But if we NEVER bring in these squad players, the problems (above) are gonna remain & be same (like a ticking timebomb) every week.

Just ask Fergie why he didn't always put his strongest side out every Premiership game (before he won it) and maybe you'll be closer to the answer of success...

"But they had a stronger squad !" I hear you say.

Even relatively speaking, of course they did - they USED theirs !
Like they say "IT'S A SQUAD GAME" (but it's not "just for the sake of it")

Before Aldershot it was generally "never change a winning team"
What the killer rule now ?
"Never change the team" ?!!

Sorry, it's the same old (since disproven) arguments we heard even back in the FA Trophy 1st round.
Time and time again we changed the team and won.
People still refused to accept the fact it worked even when it did !!!

Whatever you think of the Trophy, it served us well, helped get us to Wembley, still made no difference !
"Tinker" at Gateshead and win ? Oh that's different, it's Neilson !

Quoted from Mariners_15
Hannah in for LJL and Bignot in for Boyce and shift Toto over to his favoured CB position...

Out of interest, what would you have said had Hurst made those changes (you want now) through his own choice at Aldershot ?
You wouldn't have liked it then, even though you want it right now ?
Reply: 25 - 55
September 3, 2014, 5:10pm
Guest User
Quoted from oldun
sorry 80's I forgot about the loss of Boyce so Bignot at RB for me.

No need to apologise at all oldun.
Yep, can see the logic there.  
A very able full back and valued squad member.
If if wasn't a case of resting players for Lincoln, I'd be playing him too !

Quoted from oldun
if we are winning comfortably then we can give 1 or 2 a rest and give others some game time.

Always a worthy alternative ! (great point from you & acko...)
With the proviso it's all possible of course. (no easy task !)
Not that I'll be complaining if we can't quite manage that desired 2/3 goal cushion on the day either.
Obviously I'd love to see a cricket score but certainly not expecting it by any means !
1-0 will do me just fine.

Quoted from oldun
We need to set out to get 3 more home points

Whichever side we put out I totally agree.

Quoted from oldun
and play our strongest team.

Well team selection all subjective to an extent but yes, obviously point taken.
We'll politely agree to disagree and I'd play the strongest possible team (i.e. stronger than everyone else's in terms of fitness) at Lincoln instead.

tbh think Brown and Clay may both be better off focusing on those "closing down" roles (ala Gateshead) v Lincoln too.
I've no idea about Welling tbh and they clearly deserve respect - it won't be easy for sure.
But equally wonder whether playing at home with worthy replacements available, if Clay and Brown's inclusion might turn out to be a case of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. (I guess not but who knows...)
Reply: 26 - 55
mariner tommy
September 3, 2014, 5:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
You must be mad.

Strongest team available for every game.

No messing about. Sorted.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
Fcukthescunts
September 3, 2014, 5:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Lincoln is not the biggest game until 5pm Saturday, every next game is biggest. We must put points on board and nearly all on here have in past said our home form needs improving so we must pick our best 11 for all our home games.
For me Hannah for the Shop and Bignot for Boyce, Toto to CB
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
September 3, 2014, 6:33pm
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
we are only a few weeks into the season and they've had a full week without a game, so no need to rest them.

Yet only a matter of seconds into the Aldershot post match interview Hurst said:
"And a massive ask playing Saturday Monday to then have to play a game [i.e. Saturday] with 10 men..."

Yes we beat bottom of the table 7-0 but these things have a knock on effect.
If not straight away then later...

Not rocket science to figure out the very same players might feel slightly jaded or not 100% come Tuesday.
Even if we win both (and we may do), the same side can't just keep playing and winning forever...

Sorry, people can say "We MUST..." all they like !
Success doesn't always come from how much fans WANT it or we'd already be in Europe.

Quoted from rancido
We should play our strongest eleven for every league game this season tt try to ensure we achieve the top spot at the end of the season.

Ok let's say we try to do that and just miss out, hitting the playoffs.

Suddenly there's a mass injury crisis - 4 players are out !

It's ok to call on 4 backup players (let's say Disley, Walker, Winfarrah, Humble) who haven't kicked a competitive football ALL season because it's suddenly "our strongest eleven" ?

Please name me your strongest XI stating how they can play (and presumably win) every game while remaining fresh as a daisy.
Or alternatively, just say under what circumstances when you would make changes...

Quoted from Abdul19

Where have I underestimated them ?
I said it was a risk. (just like defeat at Aldershot was..)

Out of interest (since we agree Welling are a fair threat), what if we lose on Saturday ?
All things being equal, what's your team for Tuesday ?

Is it:
a) "just keep it the same again this and each game" (cos we keep losing but it's still the strongest)
or
b) "ring the changes" (that maybe should been there in the first place Sat in the easier game) ?

Reply: 29 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team For Welling

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.