Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sack Hurst
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 264 Guests

Sack Hurst

This thread currently has 3,851 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
August 28, 2014, 7:30am
Guest User

People do judge by this sort of thing, look at Scott.

I would agree with this. Humans are predictably irrational when making decisions, Buying stuff and how we perceive certain events. Marketers and news agencies take advantage of this all the time. For example in the us news agency's can affect how their audience perceives a certain story but simply altering the news readers tone and expressions. So they can say exactly the same words, in a different tone and get completely different reactions.

I think it would make total sense for hurst to have some media training as building rapport with the fans and media Saves managers a lot of grief in the long term. Not surprising john still used to be a salesman- he is great at that.

I also think the guy that commentates can have a big affect on those who don't go to the game. Don't know his name but he always makes out that town miss sitters and the opposition are going to score when ever they get near the box, usually with a massive groan and moan. It's not what he is saying it's how it is presented.
Reply: 50 - 58
BeijingMariner
August 28, 2014, 6:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Abdul19
Agree with the Mariner from China - Paul Hurst isn't employed to communicate with me, he's employed to communicate with us players.

Thanks Abdul 19, appreciated. Football is a weird game, people get so passionate. 80's, I've disagreed with you a couple times on the gtfc forum but i know that it doesnt really matter, you are black and white stripes to the core. Don't know Ron Rafferty, but I see where you are coming from, just dont know why you want to argue with someone so B+W as 80's.Check out his posts on the gtfc forum, he isnt rose tinted, he is simply an optimist who believes that if we all build it, they will come....peace, right?

By the way, RRFC, my post wasnt sentimental, it was pretty much based in fact. PH is a man of few words (fact), he doesnt oversell the clubs potential (fact), he is not a loud mouth (fact) and, my guess (not fact) is that in  training he is pretty much the man you see in interviews but maybe a bit more  animated.

paul, if you read this please listen: i work in a place where my manager is more softly spoken than you and we are in a mess but that mess is not due to the intensity and / or volume of his statements.........we are in a mess because he has no idea about where we should be heading and  how to get there........you, however, you do have a direction in mind, and an idea as to how to get there......you speak softly, you carry a stick.....you will do the job because people believe in you or not.....i think between now and April we will see that you know what you are doing.....i believe you....stay the course, Paul. Not sentiment, but belief.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 51 - 58
KingstonMariner
August 28, 2014, 9:23pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Abdul19
Agree with the Mariner from China - Paul Hurst isn't employed to communicate with me, he's employed to communicate with us players.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 58
KingstonMariner
August 28, 2014, 9:26pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 3610

I would agree with this. Humans are predictably irrational when making decisions, Buying stuff and how we perceive certain events. Marketers and news agencies take advantage of this all the time. For example in the us news agency's can affect how their audience perceives a certain story but simply altering the news readers tone and expressions. So they can say exactly the same words, in a different tone and get completely different reactions.

I think it would make total sense for hurst to have some media training as building rapport with the fans and media Saves managers a lot of grief in the long term. Not surprising john still used to be a salesman- he is great at that.

I also think the guy that commentates can have a big affect on those who don't go to the game. Don't know his name but he always makes out that town miss sitters and the opposition are going to score when ever they get near the box, usually with a massive groan and moan. It's not what he is saying it's how it is presented.

John Tondeur I think you mean.

Often Tondeur is right though. He reads the game well, and has seen us often enough to have a good instinct for how things will pan out.  It's something a lot of old moaners can do! He's a fan so he feels it like we feel it. When Town are playing well he waxes lyrical.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 58
August 28, 2014, 10:26pm
Guest User
Quoted from KingstonMariner

John Tondeur I think you mean.

Often Tondeur is right though. He reads the game well, and has seen us often enough to have a good instinct for how things will pan out.  It's something a lot of old moaners can do! He's a fan so he feels it like we feel it. When Town are playing well he waxes lyrical.

Yeah cheers. I did mean to say what he says is wrong just how he says it. Like you said its cos he is a fan and has an emotional attachment  that it comes across like that. It's like listening to fan zone!
Reply: 54 - 58
August 28, 2014, 10:53pm
Guest User
Quoted from BeijingMariner
80's, I've disagreed with you a couple times on the gtfc forum but i know that it doesnt really matter, you are black and white stripes to the core. Don't know Ron Rafferty, but I see where you are coming from, just dont know why you want to argue with someone so B+W as 80's.Check out his posts on the gtfc forum, he isnt rose tinted, he is simply an optimist who believes that if we all build it, they will come....peace, right?

Just seen this, thanks Bejing.
Yes, my history on the OS has hardly been "rose tinted" in the past (especially under Woods) by any means lol.

Like you say whether we agree or not doesn't matter, no prizes for right or wrong we're just pulling together for the same thing.

However on this occasion I agree with all your points.
Accept he's not everyone's cup of tea and some will find him boring.
What can you do ? Don't watch or listen seems a fair solution.

Tbf perhaps some of the criticism comes from how he's perceived to talk up other teams.
I can see both sides here tbh, but think there's nothing wrong per-se with a cautious approach on camera.
If it all goes wrong he's gonna make himself look a right berk !

Perhaps some might imagine it's been affecting the team + tactics.
I can't really see it tbh - even before or after we won 7-0 he was hardly thrusting his fist into the air in triumph either.
Reply: 55 - 58
LongEatonMariner
August 28, 2014, 11:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from grimsby pete
I think we need a new poll,

I bet Hurst out will be a 95% No,

What a couple of good wins can do.

Don't count your chickens just yet Pete, I sense some are still yet to be convinced.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 58
LongEatonMariner
August 28, 2014, 11:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Remind me someone, what was Buckley like in interviews? I seem to recall he was hard work for the interviewers. Didn't make him a bad manager, just a bad interviewee.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 58
Garth
August 29, 2014, 10:55am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
I can remember a time way back when managers were seen but not heard,  too much air time and importance is given to them in todays game, bring back the days when they sat with suit and tie in the stands
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sack Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.