6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
August 27, 2014, 12:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180

On Monday LJL had a bag full of chances and scored one and a half. He is never going to be a great goalscorer but that doesn't matter so much if other people are scoring. Previously he was virtually the only player to get any chances though. There is no doubt that having players with pace in the team has helped him enormously.

LJL had a few good chances on Monday and scored a couple (sort-of scored the second one). However, he laid on 3 very good passes to set up other goals and had an important role in Clay's second as well. He directly had a hand in 6 of the 7 goals so I think we can forgive him a couple he didn't manage to tuck away - and the keeper saved at least one of his efforts that didn't go in! McLaughlin missed some better chances than LJL's on Monday, but it doesn't really matter who scores as long as we get the goals.

Earlier in the season (and for much of last season), I'd say that LJL was pretty much the only one of our attackers with any pace which often left him isolated. The addition of Pittman and Neilson has added extra strength, pace and skill to the team and those three must be a real handful for opposition defences. I'm sort of hoping that the return of Arnold will make things even more difficult for opposition defenders as well!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 58
Marinerz93
August 27, 2014, 1:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1

On Monday LJL had a bag full of chances and scored one and a half. He is never going to be a great goalscorer but that doesn't matter so much if other people are scoring. Previously he was virtually the only player to get any chances though. There is no doubt that having players with pace in the team has helped him enormously.

On the subject of the manager - there is a lot of criticism of critics for having a go after 2 or 3 games. A lot of those posts though make the point that the criticism was about last season and the way the first 3 games echoed the way the side played from last Christmas. Clearly in the 3 games players were missing and they make a great difference. There was also a lack of the luck in front of goal which any side needs. Equally clearly PH had tried to change the team's style through his signings but it wasn't until the Gateshead game that he really went for it with his team selection and tactics.

I wouldn't suggest that a manager or player takes too much direct notice of posts on a forum but the criticism last season was widespread and continued for 3 more games. It must have made some impact because we had Getyourfactsright coming on to jolly us into rousing support. So it seems very likely that conversations also took place in the club about the progress of the side and the entertainment value for fans paying to go BP. I think that is at the root of the change in philosophy of the manager and the team. Not a reaction to any specific post or poster, but a reaction to substantial and continuing dissatisfaction amongst supporters.

PH's biggest problem is that he is not a great communicator. He might be good in the confines of a dressing room but his interviews are drab and repetitive no matter how hard John Tondeur tries to draw him out. I'm sure there is a sense of humour in there somewhere but he is desperate to be very careful and cautious so that is presumably why he was happy to let Scott do all the PR. PH reminds me a lot of Dave Booth in that respect and look how well he did.

Great post, fully agree.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 58
grimsby pete
August 27, 2014, 3:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I think we need a new poll,

I bet Hurst out will be a 95% No,

What a couple of good wins can do.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 58
BeijingMariner
August 27, 2014, 6:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,674
Gold Stars: 40

On the subject of the manager - there is a lot of criticism of critics for having a go after 2 or 3 games. A lot of those posts though make the point that the criticism was about last season and the way the first 3 games echoed the way the side played from last Christmas. Clearly in the 3 games players were missing and they make a great difference. There was also a lack of the luck in front of goal which any side needs. Equally clearly PH had tried to change the team's style through his signings but it wasn't until the Gateshead game that he really went for it with his team selection and tactics.

I wouldn't suggest that a manager or player takes too much direct notice of posts on a forum but the criticism last season was widespread and continued for 3 more games. It must have made some impact because we had Getyourfactsright coming on to jolly us into rousing support. So it seems very likely that conversations also took place in the club about the progress of the side and the entertainment value for fans paying to go BP. I think that is at the root of the change in philosophy of the manager and the team. Not a reaction to any specific post or poster, but a reaction to substantial and continuing dissatisfaction amongst supporters.

PH's biggest problem is that he is not a great communicator. He might be good in the confines of a dressing room but his interviews are drab and repetitive no matter how hard John Tondeur tries to draw him out. I'm sure there is a sense of humour in there somewhere but he is desperate to be very careful and cautious so that is presumably why he was happy to let Scott do all the PR. PH reminds me a lot of Dave Booth in that respect and look how well he did.

I agree that PH is not a great communicator but he does communicate, and if you want to be specific, he sounds very much like a typical Yorkshireman, he sets out his stall according to what he knows and what he has, no BS. If you had said he isn't a showman, I would agree. If you had said he isn't an evangelist, I would agree. For sure, he is not ebullient, he is not loud and in your face....but, hang on.....does everyone need to be like Brian Clough in front of a camera? I don't recall Sir Alex being mistaken for Robbie Williams or Freddie Mercury....point is, I don't need Paul Hurst to entertain me, or to scream "we are the champions" , my friend.....i need the players to do that, I need Paul to make sure that the players are fit enough, in the right position enough and gelling enough to make sure that it happens ENOUGH to win this silly but brutal league. So, forgive me, but Paul, I dont want your song and dance moves, your deep insights into anything other than what makes this current, Great Grimsby Town side work so well. I am 100% behind your quiet style, and i will,accept your dulcet rotherham tones;  long may it reign. Beijing Mariner over and out
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 43 - 58
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 27, 2014, 8:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,512
Gold Stars: 64
As many have said forum's are about opinions and a number of PH's critics have explained why we were critical after 3 games, most of it arising from post Christmas performances. I qualified my criticisms by acknowledging Bristol was an ok result and Nuneaton, although frustrating, was understandable given their nine man defence and our lack of wide and pacy players.

The key frustration, certainly for me, was the selection of two wide players against Dover who were not suited to that role hence the poor quality of performance. I stated, and still do, that we need two more players to make us prospective champions and I see that as another quality midfield player and a striker. I accept Arnold may answer one of these but not sure of his best position.

My other concern was whether PH would pick what some of us believe to be his best eleven, i doubted he would, but he has so fair play to him and I hope we achieve the success we all dream of.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 27, 2014, 9:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from BeijingMariner

I agree that PH is not a great communicator but he does communicate, and if you want to be specific, he sounds very much like a typical Yorkshireman, he sets out his stall according to what he knows and what he has, no BS. If you had said he isn't a showman, I would agree. If you had said he isn't an evangelist, I would agree. For sure, he is not ebullient, he is not loud and in your face....but, hang on.....does everyone need to be like Brian Clough in front of a camera? I don't recall Sir Alex being mistaken for Robbie Williams or Freddie Mercury....point is, I don't need Paul Hurst to entertain me, or to scream "we are the champions" , my friend.....i need the players to do that, I need Paul to make sure that the players are fit enough, in the right position enough and gelling enough to make sure that it happens ENOUGH to win this silly but brutal league. So, forgive me, but Paul, I dont want your song and dance moves, your deep insights into anything other than what makes this current, Great Grimsby Town side work so well. I am 100% behind your quiet style, and i will,accept your dulcet rotherham tones;  long may it reign. Beijing Mariner over and out

I wouldn't disagree with the sentiment.

I'm just saying the problem he has had since he became manager is in (I hate this word but I can't think of another) bonding with the fans. That comes from him not communicating in the interviews. Like I said it would be nice if he just spoke about the positives in a bit more detail to demonstrate his enthusiasm and explain what his ideas were. He doesn't need to shout and scream or do a tap dance. It would help if he asked someone like Tondeur how to modulate his voice to speak to a radio audience as well. People do judge by this sort of thing, look at Scott.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 58
August 27, 2014, 10:21pm
Guest User
I wouldn't suggest that a manager or player takes too much direct notice of posts on a forum but the criticism last season was widespread and continued for 3 more games.

And what a co-incidence the criticisms stopped when we started winning.
Guess it must have been the criticism that made us win then !
So it seems very likely that conversations also took place in the club about the progress of the side and the entertainment value for fans paying to go BP.

Yes indeed.
Guess last thing the club must have wanted before was to ever win 6-1 or 7-0 !
Nothing to do with players getting a kick up the backside, teams bouncing back after near misses or new players suddenly available who can play a more passing or attacking style.

No sireee it's all down to the those criticizing who take all the credit instead.
Not a reaction to any specific post or poster, but a reaction to substantial and continuing dissatisfaction amongst supporters.

Are you saying they weren't really trying until criticisms were made ?!
What about last season ? Plenty of criticisms there !

I'm also very interested to know what these criticisms on here were regards Gateshead tactics.

I can't particularly remember seeing anyone calling for faster football, nor closing them down or pushing up more.
There might have been 1 or 2 regards passing football but feels like the vast majority were dropping LJL, "negative football" and "Hurst out !

And if you're not winning it's always gonna be perceived as negative isn't it ?
Equally, very interested to know whether you or others will complain about negative football again if we win 1-0 win at Aldershot.

Perhaps I may be wrong but far as I can see it, unless Hurst wins EVERY game in spectacular style he's gonna get criticized

In short, I think endless criticism is very unhelpful and trying to take any credit for what goes on in the dressing room is egotistical bonkers living in fantasy land.
I'm sure there is a sense of humour in there somewhere but he is desperate to be very careful and cautious so that is presumably why he was happy to let Scott do all the PR.

Not even true ?!
He might be good in the confines of a dressing room but his interviews are drab and repetitive no matter how hard John Tondeur tries to draw him out.

Not as drab and repetitive as the endless criticism he gets IMO.  
Personally I find his interviews enjoyable but he can hardly give away team news in advance that might aid the opposition.
Guess you'll be complaining about the colour of his tracksuit next...
Reply: 46 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 27, 2014, 11:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I can't be bothered to quote all that drivel 80s. We know the colour of the lenses on your glasses. Anyway I think it is a disgrace for the manager to appear for interview without a suit and tie. Shows disrespect!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 58
Abdul19
August 27, 2014, 11:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Agree with the Mariner from China - Paul Hurst isn't employed to communicate with me, he's employed to communicate with us players.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 58
August 28, 2014, 1:23am
Guest User
I can't be bothered to quote all that drivel 80s.

Hardly suprised.
I doubt you can quote anything from this board which answers those questions I posed.
Your reasoned arguments seem to have suddenly dried up.
We know the colour of the lenses on your glasses.

And there was me thinking I just want my club to be united and successful.

Anyway you're wrong !
I HAVE criticized a little myself this season.

Here's a few after Dover:
http://www.grimsby-town.com/forum/grimsby-town-fc-forum_aa/118055-just-back-and-can-t-complain

"Big question for me is whether Paddy should have played left-wing back.
I think he's not particularly suited there (mainly due to lack of pace) and Winfarrah should have started."
"Generally speaking think we drop far too deep when the opposition have the ball.
And aren't pushing up quickly enough in support when we do."

And FWIW I don't think club management have done a particularly superb job in the past either.
But then again if any such past failures existed, it don't bother me one tiny bit (unlike some ?), it's only the future that should matter now.

If the club isn't dragged down by near impossible expectations + relentless criticism each game honestly think we'll have a very serious chance.

As a long suffering fan myself (i.e. it's not JUST those who complain the most) I understand all the frustrations of the past too.
Just hope we can all learn to forgive or forget, bury past disappointments and march forward together for what we surely all want.
Reply: 49 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.