Sack Hurst

This thread currently has 3,840 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
August 26, 2014, 9:14pm
Guest User

I would get out more if I was you.

Sense of humour failure you mean ?

Normally I would laugh too.
Just think the stick LJL has received recently hasn't been particularly fair given what he "brings to the team" whether scoring or not.
Reply: 30 - 58
headingly_mariner
August 26, 2014, 9:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Marinerz93

Playing well yes, but when you miss a 3rd of an open goal from 6 yards it isn't unlucky, it's poor finishing.  LJL recent goals have come from further out and placed rather than clobbered / scuffed since people called for him to be dropped.  I agree the addition of attacking players has given him more room but he is playing as if he has something to prove and the criticism he recieved in my honest opinion has made him more focused.

The fishy is for varying opinions, that's why we have people who either agree or disagree.  I never saw anything that would indicate a majority wanted PH out, I must have missed that.

You are right in a sense that the only ones who can claim credit for the up turn is PH and the players however, they did get a kick up the rear end.

There was a poll on here with over 70% of those who voted voting for hurst to be sacked.
LJL had far more chances with the attacking players around him, he took some of those chances.

I just find it completely bizarre that you think the shite certain players and the manager got after 3 disappointing results had a positive affect, it was three games into the season, it was totally uncalled for and embarrassing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 58
Marinerz93
August 27, 2014, 12:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from headingly_mariner

There was a poll on here with over 70% of those who voted voting for hurst to be sacked.
LJL had far more chances with the attacking players around him, he took some of those chances.

I just find it completely bizarre that you think the shite certain players and the manager got after 3 disappointing results had a positive affect, it was three games into the season, it was totally uncalled for and embarrassing.

I didn't see the poll so I will accept what you say on that.

If you are not performing to the expected levels at work, the customers or managers will give you a hard time.  Town fans in this case being the customers of course.  It was obvious from PH's defence of LJL that they were both aware of the criticisms.  Yes LJL had more chances per game with more attacking players but my point still stands about how he is now hitting the ball with more focus.

Not all of those criticisms were justified agreed, but some were and it has fired up LJL.  The cupping of his ears a prime example of him answering his critics.  Other players have stepped up their game and this can be seen as them trying harder for their team mate, team spirit.

I can understand that you don't see it this way and that's fair enough.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 58
headingly_mariner
August 27, 2014, 10:32am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Marinerz93

I didn't see the poll so I will accept what you say on that.

If you are not performing to the expected levels at work, the customers or managers will give you a hard time.  Town fans in this case being the customers of course.  It was obvious from PH's defence of LJL that they were both aware of the criticisms.  Yes LJL had more chances per game with more attacking players but my point still stands about how he is now hitting the ball with more focus.

Not all of those criticisms were justified agreed, but some were and it has fired up LJL.  The cupping of his ears a prime example of him answering his critics.  Other players have stepped up their game and this can be seen as them trying harder for their team mate, team spirit.

I can understand that you don't see it this way and that's fair enough.

So maybe we should abuse our own players more often if it works that well. His lack of performance in the previous three games is a matter of opinion, he was quite a few peoples MOM in the Dover game and couldn't have really put more effort in. Granted he has clearly heard some of the criticism but I imagine we would have seen the same results from him with the changes to the team, even if it has had a positive impact it's a dangerous way to try and motivate people and is more likely to further crush confidence and add to the pressure to succeed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 58
Marinerz93
August 27, 2014, 10:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from headingly_mariner

So maybe we should abuse our own players more often if it works that well. His lack of performance in the previous three games is a matter of opinion, he was quite a few peoples MOM in the Dover game and couldn't have really put more effort in. Granted he has clearly heard some of the criticism but I imagine we would have seen the same results from him with the changes to the team, even if it has had a positive impact it's a dangerous way to try and motivate people and is more likely to further crush confidence and add to the pressure to succeed.

The criticism LJL got was for his finishing not his work rate.  It was people's frustration that he failed to score from 6 yards out in 3rd of an open goal and his lack of goals since Christmas last year that saw the criticism of him and that he should be dropped.  Yes he is getting more chances but he is placing them rather than snapping / scuffing shots.  I wouldn't say that those who wanted him out were trying to motivate him, LJL has motivated himself and answered his critics.

In previous years players have crumbled under pressure but so far the players have stepped up and the criticisms have almost disappeared.  The pressure to succeed now should be replaced with the killer instinct that teams will fear us now, we are the Pike in this little pond.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 58
Garth
August 27, 2014, 11:38am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Marinerz93

Playing well yes, but when you miss a 3rd of an open goal from 6 yards it isn't unlucky, it's poor finishing.  LJL recent goals have come from further out and placed rather than clobbered / scuffed since people called for him to be dropped.  I agree the addition of attacking players has given him more room but he is playing as if he has something to prove and the criticism he recieved in my honest opinion has made him more focused.

The fishy is for varying opinions, that's why we have people who either agree or disagree.  I never saw anything that would indicate a majority wanted PH out, I must have missed that.

You are right in a sense that the only ones who can claim credit for the up turn is PH and the players however, they did get a kick up the rear end.

Burnsey said The Fishy runs GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 58
Trawler
August 27, 2014, 11:46am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Garth

Burnsey said The Fishy runs GTFC

That's why Getyourfactsright joined this board.

If you can't beat them. Join them.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 27, 2014, 11:48am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Marinerz93

The criticism LJL got was for his finishing not his work rate.  It was people's frustration that he failed to score from 6 yards out in 3rd of an open goal and his lack of goals since Christmas last year that saw the criticism of him and that he should be dropped.  Yes he is getting more chances but he is placing them rather than snapping / scuffing shots.  I wouldn't say that those who wanted him out were trying to motivate him, LJL has motivated himself and answered his critics.

On Monday LJL had a bag full of chances and scored one and a half. He is never going to be a great goalscorer but that doesn't matter so much if other people are scoring. Previously he was virtually the only player to get any chances though. There is no doubt that having players with pace in the team has helped him enormously.

On the subject of the manager - there is a lot of criticism of critics for having a go after 2 or 3 games. A lot of those posts though make the point that the criticism was about last season and the way the first 3 games echoed the way the side played from last Christmas. Clearly in the 3 games players were missing and they make a great difference. There was also a lack of the luck in front of goal which any side needs. Equally clearly PH had tried to change the team's style through his signings but it wasn't until the Gateshead game that he really went for it with his team selection and tactics.

I wouldn't suggest that a manager or player takes too much direct notice of posts on a forum but the criticism last season was widespread and continued for 3 more games. It must have made some impact because we had Getyourfactsright coming on to jolly us into rousing support. So it seems very likely that conversations also took place in the club about the progress of the side and the entertainment value for fans paying to go BP. I think that is at the root of the change in philosophy of the manager and the team. Not a reaction to any specific post or poster, but a reaction to substantial and continuing dissatisfaction amongst supporters.

PH's biggest problem is that he is not a great communicator. He might be good in the confines of a dressing room but his interviews are drab and repetitive no matter how hard John Tondeur tries to draw him out. I'm sure there is a sense of humour in there somewhere but he is desperate to be very careful and cautious so that is presumably why he was happy to let Scott do all the PR. PH reminds me a lot of Dave Booth in that respect and look how well he did.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 58
MeanwoodMariner
August 27, 2014, 12:10pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8

PH's biggest problem is that he is not a great communicator. He might be good in the confines of a dressing room but his interviews are drab and repetitive no matter how hard John Tondeur tries to draw him out. I'm sure there is a sense of humour in there somewhere but he is desperate to be very careful and cautious so that is presumably why he was happy to let Scott do all the PR. PH reminds me a lot of Dave Booth in that respect and look how well he did.

Many people have said this about Hurst so there must be something to it but I only hear a calm and measured man every time he speaks. Is it just the accent? I lived in Yorkshire for 10 years so got used to the accent and don't equate it with being dull. I would agree he doesn't give too much away but that's the same with almost every manager interview.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 27, 2014, 12:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Many people have said this about Hurst so there must be something to it but I only hear a calm and measured man every time he speaks. Is it just the accent? I lived in Yorkshire for 10 years so got used to the accent and don't equate it with being dull. I would agree he doesn't give too much away but that's the same with almost every manager interview.

I was born about 5 miles from Meanwood and have lived in South Yorks so I know the accent very well. The old saying of "'ear all, see all and say nowt" could be written for him. It's not the accent, it's the way he speaks, the language he uses and above all his desire not to be caught out.

In his interview after the Alfreton game it would have been great to hear him enthuse a bit about the speed of passing, the running off the ball and with the ball, the finishing, the entertainment, getting the fans in ..........

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sack Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.