Marinerz93
August 26, 2014, 12:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Are you trying to suggest that those ridiculous threads have in some way been responsible for our upturn in fortune?

I imagine having more attacking options fit was the reason for our goal flurry.

Upturn in pressing opposition rather than standing off, yes.  Goals partially, especially with LJL who had a point to prove and has done so.

Are you suggesting that without one or two attacking options that LJL wouldn't score and that we wouldn't play a more pressing game?

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 58
kamakazebear
August 26, 2014, 1:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +457
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Seriously? We've had weeks of relentless bile and vitriol directed at PH, LJL, Clay etc, as well as at the "rose tinted brigade" on here. I think a little gentle ribbing of those who wanted Hurst out is not far out of line after those 2 wins is it?

I don't know, I haven't posted anything about sack everyone and found it as irritating as you probably did, but I find these sort of posts just as irritating and pointless
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 58
August 26, 2014, 2:48am
Guest User
2 types of criticism for me....
CONSTRUCTIVE regards tactics, team selection etc... (this can sometimes be good !)
UNCONSTRUCTIVE regards sacking the manager (as proven today?), unfair treatment of players etc.

Question...
Has some CONSTRUCTIVE fan criticism led to Hurst adopting a different & better strategy ?...

Well who knows but let's just assume so, possibly. (things have certainly changed)

Don't really remember any "relentless pressing of the opposition" advice ?
Assuming Hurst has read the fishy, what advice has he been reading here ?
Feel free to quote...

Or let's just ASSUME and place it all under a "negative football" complaints umbrella.

Now what do we know here ?...
- Criticisms have been aired
- Performances have improved last 2 games

"cause" or unrelated "co-incidence" ?

Similar criticisms have been made in the past regarding "negative football" ?...
Last season ? Didn't improve things like now ?
Same story for Woods "negative football" ? "not closing down enough" ?
Plenty of advice aired there !  
How come nothing changed there and got even worse ?

I agree it starts with the players.
But guess so did Hurst post match Dover when he said the players needed some 'self reflection'.

Not trying to suggest fans opinions or CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions aren't sometimes quite helpful, useful or relevant, sure many are !
Fans can also help a great deal by being supportive too. (as seen today ! )
And who knows, perhaps a "kick up the ar5e" has indeed been dished out recently too, wouldn't suprise me !

But sorry for me...
It's manager and players in the dressing room who take ultimate credit for making any team improvements.
Not all us would-be football managers on a messageboard (including me too).

Anyway it's another SUPERBBBB great little step forward.
Best thing we can all do IMHO is continue to be as supportive of the manager, players and club as we possibly can be.
Let's remember we ALL want the very same thing !
Reply: 22 - 58
August 26, 2014, 6:52am
Guest User
Quoted from 120797
2 types of criticism for me....
CONSTRUCTIVE regards tactics, team selection etc... (this can sometimes be good !)
UNCONSTRUCTIVE regards sacking the manager (as proven today?), unfair treatment of players etc.

Question...
Has some CONSTRUCTIVE fan criticism led to Hurst adopting a different & better strategy ?...

No I personally think hurst planned for this change a long time ago.

Others may disagree but I feel he has recruited really well and got players who are far more energetic allowing us to press higher. I couldn't imagine a midfield 3 of thanoj, Kerr and disley being able to press and harrass like clay, brown and McLaughlin did last weekend.

I just think the injuries and suspensions were the reason why this didn't happen from the off.
Reply: 23 - 58
headingly_mariner
August 26, 2014, 7:41am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,318
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Marinerz93

Upturn in pressing opposition rather than standing off, yes.  Goals partially, especially with LJL who had a point to prove and has done so.

Are you suggesting that without one or two attacking options that LJL wouldn't score and that we wouldn't play a more pressing game?

I just find that bewildering, I imagine PH was well aware that we needed to be more of an attacking threat after only scoring one goal in three games, he didn't need endless threads on the fishy to point that out for him. The majority of people on here wanted him sacked and LJL dropped, nobody on here can claim any credit for the upturn in form.

I'm suggesting that without those attacking options available those results would be extremely unlikely and i don't think it's a coincidence that the shop being partnered by Pittman and having neilson playing behind him has seen him hit the net, I don't think the fans slating him has made him score goals, he  was already playing well and had been unlucky against Dover.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 58
LongEatonMariner
August 26, 2014, 8:34am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Quoted from 3610

Others may disagree but I feel he has recruited really well and got players who are far more energetic allowing us to press higher. I couldn't imagine a midfield 3 of thanoj, Kerr and disley being able to press and harrass like clay, brown and McLaughlin did last weekend.

I just think the injuries and suspensions were the reason why this didn't happen from the off.

I agree that this is how he wanted to set up this season, quite possibly the level of success in the last two games is beyond expectation, long may it continue!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 58
August 26, 2014, 5:59pm
Guest User
Quoted from 3610

Yep see where you're coming from salford, wouldn't suprise me at all.
Have to say though I've never seen Paddy so fired up before, was like a man possessed.
Brilliant !
Quoted from 3610

Totally agree but also think the tactics were spot on too for playing an "open" looking team, same for Gateshead too.
Even from the first whistle (no cliche the truth) they were hunting them down, then trying to get in behind their defence.
Reply: 26 - 58
Marinerz93
August 26, 2014, 7:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I just find that bewildering, I imagine PH was well aware that we needed to be more of an attacking threat after only scoring one goal in three games, he didn't need endless threads on the fishy to point that out for him. The majority of people on here wanted him sacked and LJL dropped, nobody on here can claim any credit for the upturn in form.

I'm suggesting that without those attacking options available those results would be extremely unlikely and i don't think it's a coincidence that the shop being partnered by Pittman and having neilson playing behind him has seen him hit the net, I don't think the fans slating him has made him score goals, he  was already playing well and had been unlucky against Dover.

Playing well yes, but when you miss a 3rd of an open goal from 6 yards it isn't unlucky, it's poor finishing.  LJL recent goals have come from further out and placed rather than clobbered / scuffed since people called for him to be dropped.  I agree the addition of attacking players has given him more room but he is playing as if he has something to prove and the criticism he recieved in my honest opinion has made him more focused.

The fishy is for varying opinions, that's why we have people who either agree or disagree.  I never saw anything that would indicate a majority wanted PH out, I must have missed that.

You are right in a sense that the only ones who can claim credit for the up turn is PH and the players however, they did get a kick up the rear end.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 58
August 26, 2014, 8:26pm
Guest User
Quoted from Marinerz93
Playing well yes, but when you miss a 3rd of an open goal from 6 yards it isn't unlucky, it's poor finishing.  LJL recent goals have come from further out and placed rather than clobbered / scuffed since people called for him to be dropped.

Perhaps true but I find it ironic - had he been dropped (my MOM Dover BTW) he wouldn't have scored...

Gods honest truth at H/T heard someone say "Maybe we should have a go at LJL more often if he does that !"

Guess it was a joke/tongue in cheek comment but I find it a little worrying too.
Reply: 28 - 58
lew chaterleys lover
August 26, 2014, 9:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from 120797

Perhaps true but I find it ironic - had he been dropped (my MOM Dover BTW) he wouldn't have scored...

Gods honest truth at H/T heard someone say "Maybe we should have a go at LJL more often if he does that !"

Guess it was a joke/tongue in cheek comment but I find it a little worrying too.

I would get out more if I was you.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sack Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.