Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The rich get richer.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 90 Guests

The rich get richer.

This thread currently has 3,641 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
November 1, 2012, 8:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The whole things copulated...just admit it. Even at our level there are teams who simply don't compete, teams that even if they won the league wouldn't be allowed in the league and so on...what is the point playing in a competition if you can't win the prize and unfortunately this is the problem in the premier league, the sad thing is that only 4-6 teams compete and only 4 are probably ever going to win it...I know a Fulham fan who actually said the best season and most enjoyable he's had whilst they've been up there is the season they only just stayed up because for once there was something to play for...

You are always going to get teams with higher budgets etc purely because of fan base etc but also, and call me cynical or whatever you like, they succeed because the people running the game/league wan them too. The press, the pseudo big wigs might say it is good when Wigan have a good start or QPR beat a top side but truthfully Scudamore et al would flipping hate it if suddenly a club like Wigan started steamrollering everyone and could actually win the league...simply because its very hard to sell a club like Wigan to the far east, America etc...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 66
mariner91
November 1, 2012, 8:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,837
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from Gary Haddock

Not really. Back when town was in division 4 we could financially compete with teams in top flight. Why? Because the best players use to cost thousands, something most clubs could afford, now the best players cost millions something limited clubs can afford. FACT.

We've never been able to compete financially with Man U or any of the other big clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 66
moosey_club
November 1, 2012, 8:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,335
Gold Stars: 229
Large majority of people back in 1992 ignored the warnings and the fears of all those who raised them have now been realised. In my opinion the Premier League and Sky has ruined football as we used to know it.
Eventually though people of a certain age will die off and the Premiership generation of fans will only have known it.

Clubs getting richer, fans paying more, players getting richer, promising young players hoovered up by the big clubs, every kick of the ball and decision scrutinised to death....there is no joy in that anymore.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 66
Rodley Mariner
November 1, 2012, 9:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,279
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from aldi_01
You are always going to get teams with higher budgets etc purely because of fan base etc but also, and call me cynical or whatever you like, they succeed because the people running the game/league wan them too. The press, the pseudo big wigs might say it is good when Wigan have a good start or QPR beat a top side but truthfully Scudamore et al would flipping hate it if suddenly a club like Wigan started steamrollering everyone and could actually win the league...simply because its very hard to sell a club like Wigan to the far east, America etc...

Elaborate on that one for us?

There is too much money in the top flight but can anybody who watched the two games on Sunday claim they weren't provided with top class entertainment? Lots of people clamouring for financial responsibility but how will those same people react if come January, Fenty announces that due to us operating (once again) way beyond our means that we won't be signing Pond, Nielsen, Hannah or anybody else and will instead be making do with youngsters already at the club? If what people want is financial fair play then great, I'd agree with that. If anybody thinks that won't leave Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal battling it out at the top or that it'll enable Town to compete financially with teams in the top flight (FFS) then they're going to be disappointed.

There are clearly some problems in football but there's also some proper drama queens on this thread.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 66
Gary Haddock
November 1, 2012, 12:19pm

Neither above nor beneath
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +44 / -5
Approval: +6
You can tell who supports a premier league club though, well Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool anyway, by the way they are too quick to defend any aguement about the premier league. FACT! Most clubs when players cost thousands, could compete financially and buy the descent players. Now only limited clubs can comopete financially because players now cost millions. Are you really so niave to argue with that, when it is a well known fact? Or are you saying players have always cost millions to buy? Think you have been blinded by the premier league. Man U, Chelsea etc haven't always been at tthe top and the big clubs they are today, are you forgetting, Stockport, Sheffields, Notts forest, Derby, Leeds, Charlton, etc etc. Some seem to be very short sighted.

Money has made a big competition into a small competition. Meaning any club could of won a league once upon a time, now only the rich clubs stand a chance. As for the premier league we know it will be between about 4 clubs out of 20, every season the same old story.

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/zya4af.jpg[/IMG]

GTFC's black and white army.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/GTFCs-black-and-white-army/494332320600710?ref=hl
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 66
Rodley Mariner
November 1, 2012, 12:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Stockport? When were they a big club?

What are you actually proposing should happen Gary?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 66
Gary Haddock
November 1, 2012, 1:10pm

Neither above nor beneath
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +44 / -5
Approval: +6
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Stockport? When were they a big club?

What are you actually proposing should happen Gary?

Stockport county one of the oldest football clubs, probally going back when the football league was first formed. I am relying on my excrement memory of something I've read of which I can not find at present. But anyway I ain't got a clue of what should happen. All I am pointing is football is just football anymore it's a bissiness, pretty obvious as we all know it. But it's ruined the game and there isn't enough care from anyone for any club that isn't rich and in premier league.

I'd like to see the premier league gone, and just have championship and division 1-4. Don't see the point in the premier league, championship on the other hand is what top flight should be, champions of the football league.

They may as well seperate the premier league from the football league because it's a league for rich clubs. Do it like rughby, league and union style.

I might not make much sence as I ain't a clever male private, but I still have an opinion. And I am still learning.  

I personally can't see anything changing any time soon.

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/zya4af.jpg[/IMG]

GTFC's black and white army.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/GTFCs-black-and-white-army/494332320600710?ref=hl
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 66
Abdul19
November 1, 2012, 1:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from aldi_01
The whole things copulated...just admit it. Even at our level there are teams who simply don't compete, teams that even if they won the league wouldn't be allowed in the league and so on

Except that it's easier now to be promoted to the football league than it ever has been.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 66
Rodley Mariner
November 1, 2012, 1:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
The divide has definitely increased massively in the past twenty years which has to be a bad thing. I also agree that more should be done to stop clubs spending way beyond their means but that means clubs at all levels including our own and including us as a club. The truth is that clubs in the top divisions will usually attract bigger crowds, better players etc and success usually breeds more success. Huge money poured in through Sky and the majority goes to the top - but then who has a Sky subscription to watch Bristol City vs Hull rather than Chelsea vs Man Utd or Everton vs Liverpool. The biggest shame is that the huge money that came in through Sky hasn't worked its way to grass roots facilities and has instead ended up paying vastly inflated salaries. Man Utd, Liverpool etc are massively bigger clubs than us and have been since a long time before Sky got involved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 66
Abdul19
November 1, 2012, 1:17pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Gary Haddock

They may as well seperate the premier league from the football league because it's a league for rich clubs. Do it like rughby, league and union style.

But they're 2 different sports!

How can you, on the one hand, want more competition, but on the other, want the PL and FL separated?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The rich get richer.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.