Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The rich get richer.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 71 Guests

The rich get richer.

This thread currently has 3,644 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
WetFlannel
October 31, 2012, 10:37pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 7
Oh yes, if Grimsby Town were in the Premier League, with a 50k stadium and a horde of foreign fans we'd all hate it. How dare they put their money into our town is what we'd think, this good football we're being served up is nothing on urine stained terraces in places like Alfreton. I'd beg for a return to these simple days, where it costs 18 pounds to get into Blundell Park, as opposed to the 30 pounds i've recently spent on going to see Fulham (who I don't support but was merely nearby)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 66
Abdul19
October 31, 2012, 11:08pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
Long term wise, I'm only interested in GTFC.

Any other football, for me, is short term entertainment. The last 4 games I've watched on Sky have all been absolutely superb (and that's my own opinion, not because evil Rupert brainwashed me or something blah blah etc etc). If most games I watch interest me, then I'll keep watching.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 66
Gary Haddock
October 31, 2012, 11:23pm

Neither above nor beneath
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +44 / -5
Approval: +6
Quoted from WetFlannel
Oh yes, if Grimsby Town were in the Premier League, with a 50k stadium and a horde of foreign fans we'd all hate it. How dare they put their money into our town is what we'd think, this good football we're being served up is nothing on urine stained terraces in places like Alfreton. I'd beg for a return to these simple days, where it costs 18 pounds to get into Blundell Park, as opposed to the 30 pounds i've recently spent on going to see Fulham (who I don't support but was merely nearby)

It's not the case of we wouldn't like it, of course we would, who wouldn't? But let's face it, it is getting daft. How can clubs like Grimsby compete against teams like Man U? Don't say "play better football" or "win more games" etc etc. Money is everything, but should it be everything when it comes to sports? No is my answer. Every club in the game should be able to compete and in order to keep the COMPETITION there should limits and rules, such as cost of players, players wages, etc etc which are NOT in place. Which means it isn't really much of a COMPETITION.

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/zya4af.jpg[/IMG]

GTFC's black and white army.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/GTFCs-black-and-white-army/494332320600710?ref=hl
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 66
Abdul19
October 31, 2012, 11:25pm

Season Ticket Holder
Comparing a 5th division club with a 1st division club is as pointless now as it was 20/50/1000 years ago.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 66
Gary Haddock
October 31, 2012, 11:31pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
Comparing a 5th division club with a 1st division club is as pointless now as it was 20/50/1000 years ago.

Not really. Back when town was in division 4 we could financially compete with teams in top flight. Why? Because the best players use to cost thousands, something most clubs could afford, now the best players cost millions something limited clubs can afford. FACT.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/GTFCs-black-and-white-army/494332320600710?ref=hl
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 66
WetFlannel
October 31, 2012, 11:36pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 7
We've never been able to financially compete with Man United since like post war, and why should we? They've always had a naturally bigger support so get more money. People say things like that as if the likes of Grimsby would continuously break British transfer records before 1992. There's always been a hierarchy, it's just now more profound.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 66
Gary Haddock
October 31, 2012, 11:45pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from WetFlannel
We've never been able to financially compete with Man United since like post war, and why should we? They've always had a naturally bigger support so get more money. People say things like that as if the likes of Grimsby would continuously break British transfer records before 1992. There's always been a hierarchy, it's just now more profound.

Doubt it was that far back, I believe we haven't been able to since the 70s with likes of Man U anyway and financially. And I ain't saying Grimsby was ever a big club, we haven't been a big club since post war (I don't think). I'm just pointing out that players cost well too much now, and players were once upon a time more affordable and back in that time football was more of a competition. It's hardly a competition now, the teams with the most money wins the league, because they can afford the best players.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 66
marinerian
October 31, 2012, 11:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Utd fans tend to have very few friends, so they support them to improve their chances of making a friend or two. This is not me talking shite, this is fact!

Take a look at Utd fans you know. It will be plain to see that many are still virgins or may have had a couple of shags at best.

At school they tended to be the ones that were really smelly or the ones that no one would hang around because they could start a fight with their own personality.

Buying a Utd shirt meant all of a sudden they could become 'popular'

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 66
ginnywings
November 1, 2012, 7:13am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from WetFlannel

If it was the case that Town were dining at the top table, it still wouldn't make it right.

If the vast wealth in the game was distributed more fairly, then the Alfretons of this world wouldn't be playing in urine stained stadiums and it wouldn't be £30/40/50 pounds to watch football at any level.

The German league is an example of how it can be and from what i have seen of their teams in Europe and on a national stage, the quality of their football pisses on the Premier League. Despite their vast wealth, Man City were made to look very ordinary by Dortmund.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 66
Abdul19
November 1, 2012, 8:15am

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Gary Haddock

Not really. Back when town was in division 4 we could financially compete with teams in top flight.

Could we?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The rich get richer.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.