Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › What was the best home match you ever seen?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 29 Guests

What was the best home match you ever seen?

This thread currently has 15,026 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
August 1, 2011, 8:39pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,189
Gold Stars: 102
The Exeter and Everton games were superb for atmosphere and for Town performances. I've written about the Everton game before. The Exeter game and the crowd were instrumental in their manager John Newman coming here later on and starting the dynasty that died under Mike Lyons. For atmosphere as well, the 2-2 against West Ham in the League Cup QF against West Ham in 1965 takes some beating.

The Tuesday night of the 7-1 against Scunthorpe was brilliant. At the time Rod Green had been injured and Dave Worthington had filled in at CF for the previous game (or 2?). In fact Town had 3 right backs in the side at Crystal Palace on the Saturday - Jimmy Bloomer at RB, Jim Thompson in midfield and Worthington up front. Bobby Ross had played RW. But Green was back that night with a hat trick and Brian Hill was devastating on the left wing. Clemence was in their goal but as far as I remember, Keegan wasn't in their team. He certainly wasn't in the programme anyway.

The 4-0 against Sheff.U was probably Joe Water's best ever game for Town. They just didn't know how to stop him and the way Drinkell made space for him to get into the box was an object lesson in forward play.

My all time favourite performance from the old days was the night we beat Southampton 3-2 with 2 goals from my hero Chips and one from Ralph Hunt. Johnny Scott and Jimmy Fell were unstoppable that night in 1961. The football from both sides was tremendous. I think Brian Clifton was playing for Southampton but the best player on the pitch by a mile was Don Donovan. Pure class.

Glad you said that RRFC, That game is one of the reasons Joe is my avatar. Trouble is, I was a lot younger and didn't really understand the intricacies of the game at that age, I got the passion and the excitement and the atmosphere and the sheer joy of a game like that, just was not knowledgeable of how we did it. I do have a hazy memory of JWs goal that day, when he ran 60 odd yards to finish. Icing on the cake of my formative years as a Mariner.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 73
ponnyfan
August 1, 2011, 8:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
Quoted from Dan_Barker
Beating Lincoln 3-0 in the snow at Xmas 2005, Ciaran Toner scoring from the edge of the box, Reddy doing his usual and Parkinson firing home from 25 yards, either that or the 4-1 win over Rochdale that same season, being 1 down at half time and kaning them in the second
That was a great match  .......... but absolutely f.....g freezing ! That goal from Parky was just quality and one of the best goals I have seen at BP.Another great goal was from KT against Carlisle in our play off season at home when we lost 2-1 ! UTM !

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 73
ponnyfan
August 1, 2011, 8:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
Quoted from Fishfinger
Grimsby 4-3 Bristol Rovers and it was about 4/5 years a go, Craig Disley scored 2 that day for Rovers.
Yeah good game that - I was there !

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 73
brad_gtfc
August 1, 2011, 9:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
5-1 V Lincoln, that was a brilliant day that.
Spurs game has to be up there.
Burnley match for pure entertainment, everytime either team went forward they looked like they was going to score.
Barnet last season, just to give us that glimmer of hope.

Brentford game, we beat them 1-0 I think. Rankin header from a Hockless cross? Anybody remember this? More info on it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 73
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 1, 2011, 9:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from jock dock tower
Far too many to mention, but the West Ham 65 League Cup tie was something else. Anyone remember us beating Hull 1-0 in the 66-7 season when they went up as champions from division 3 and John Fielding scored the winning goal? Thousands of hully gullies in the Osmond with black and gold brollies. Nobody expected the win which made it all the sweeter.
Away it has to be the Wimbledon FACup game

I'd forgotten about that Hull game Jock. In those days we used to stand in the Osmond so I came home for the match and went in there about 40 minutes before KO and had to stand in a sea of black and amber for the whole game. Couldn't even cheer when we got the winner.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 73
dapperz fun pub
August 1, 2011, 10:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
fulham
everton
sheff u

to beat a expensive side like fulham was quality,everton where division 1 and sheff u to win the league......great memories
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 73
gary_elton
August 1, 2011, 11:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
3 of my faves:

2-0 against barnet (09 - 10)
last one i can still feel the immensity every time i see that atkinson goal

nothing personal.... but you have missed out on quite a lot then...  

beating Leicester 3 - 1... Ipswich 3 - 0... drawing with WHU 2 - 2... beating Everton home and away...

beating Spurs 1 - 0...  2 -1 victory at Anfield....

NOW we're talkiing immensity....  

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 73
lawless29
August 2, 2011, 1:39am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +11
grimsby 3 bolton 3 first game of the season clive mendonca hat trick 1994-1995 or the town 5 crystal palace 2 2-Mar-2002

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 73
matt1972
August 2, 2011, 3:13am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Atmosphere Exeter 72 or Everton Lge Cup 79.  But favourite game was Barnsley Boxing day early eighties 2 nil down 3-2 up great game and in the Osmond open corner with  Batchy leading the pisstake of 5000 travelling Yorkies. Happy Christmas. Hope its similar at the excrement heap thats Sincil Bank this year
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 73
DubaiMariner
August 2, 2011, 7:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
3 of my faves:
5-1 against lincoln (08 - 09)
3-0 against gillingham (08 - 09)
2-0 against barnet (09 - 10)
last one i can still feel the immensity every time i see that atkinson goal

Haha, bless ya. You must be 12 to be quoting pretty much our only 3 home wins of the past 2 years!

Feel sorry for town fans that didnt at least grow up with the 1990 side, because there's only been fleeting moments in the past decade.

Spurs 1-0 was great for atmosphere.
4-2 against burnley in 89/90? that was one of my first memories.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › What was the best home match you ever seen?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.