Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › What was the best home match you ever seen?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

What was the best home match you ever seen?

This thread currently has 14,916 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Japers
August 2, 2011, 10:25am

ABsaid put it in corner,thought meant top corner
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +13
So many to mention but one match that sticks in my mind is a 1-1 draw with QPR who then beat us on penalties. Neil Woods was fantastic that night but missed his penalty.

The boss told me to put it in the corner.....i thought he meant the top corner.
Jim Dobbin after 1-0 victory at Newcastle wonder strike
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 73
grimsby pete
August 2, 2011, 10:28am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from barralad

It was 1984/85 Pete. Seven days later we got tonked 4-2 at a home by a very, very good Fulham side.

Thanks Ian, I will now rely on you for my dates,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 73
psgmariner
August 2, 2011, 11:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
The Fulham play off game was fantastic. I had a restricted view seat in the Upper Findus, can't see them selling those seats again for a while!

The Spurs game was also an amazing result but the actual match wasn't that memorable bar JPKK's late strike.

Also remember us playing Coventy in the cup (late 80s?) and that was a great game with a great atmosphere.

Private Message
Reply: 62 - 73
Sigone
August 2, 2011, 11:45am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,608
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from psgmariner

Also remember us playing Coventy in the cup (late 80s?) and that was a great game with a great atmosphere.

Was that the game when Trees chested a goal kick, turned and volleyed one towards goal, which there keeper fumbled round the post and cockers scored straight from the corner?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 73
upthestripes
August 2, 2011, 12:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.40
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from DubaiMariner

because there's only been fleeting moments in the past decade.

Only just in the last decade, but towards the end of the 2002 season we were starting to look very good with Butterfield and Boulding ripping defences apart between them. I had high hopes for the folling season if we could've followed on from where we left off, but Butterfield went and that was that. Some great results though - town 6 wonbles 2, town 5 palace 2, town 3 birmingham 1 etc...

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 73
The_Laughing_Mariner
August 2, 2011, 12:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,040
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from grimsby pete
One that sticks in my mind is when we beat Wolves 5-1 in the league,

Wilkinson and Lund up front with Drinkell on the bench,

It was on the telly and we completely outplayed a good Wolves team,

I can not remember the exact year,

Oh I do miss Icey.

It was 1984/85 Pete. Seven days later we got tonked 4-2 at a home by a very, very good Fulham side.

IIRC the following Tuesday we went to Everton (Best Team in the Country at the) time in the League cup and won courtesy of Wilko's last minute goal

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 73
Biccys
August 2, 2011, 1:20pm
Posts Per Day: 2.05
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Sigone

Was that the game when Trees chested a goal kick, turned and volleyed one towards goal, which there keeper fumbled round the post and cockers scored straight from the corner?

I THINK the incident with Tony Rees was that game yes, but the direct from a corner goal was in the Wolves FA cup game. "Stevie Bull is full of excrement..." 2nd round I believe? 1st round was Rovrum, 3rd was Middlesbro, 4th Reading then Wimbledon... What a year...!!!

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 66 - 73
August 2, 2011, 1:30pm
Guest User
Quoted from Biccys

I THINK the incident with Tony Rees was that game yes, but the direct from a corner goal was in the Wolves FA cup game. "Stevie Bull is full of excrement..." 2nd round I believe? 1st round was Rovrum, 3rd was Middlesbro, 4th Reading then Wimbledon... What a year...!!!

I remember getting the train back to Barnetby after the Rotherham game, from Cleethorpes station. Felt very smug about it. Then the train stopped at New Clee and picked up 200 severely p1ssed off Rotherham fans. It was a long journey.
Reply: 67 - 73
brad_gtfc
August 2, 2011, 3:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Quoted from upthestripes

Only just in the last decade, but towards the end of the 2002 season we were starting to look very good with Butterfield and Boulding ripping defences apart between them. I had high hopes for the folling season if we could've followed on from where we left off, but Butterfield went and that was that. Some great results though - town 6 wonbles 2, town 5 palace 2, town 3 birmingham 1 etc...

Them games were amazing, Boulding was different class in them games If I remember rightly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 73
1mickylyons
August 2, 2011, 6:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from Biccys

kin ell ive thought for years that we beat Donny with THAT J Cockerill goal?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › What was the best home match you ever seen?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.